Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Alexander doesn't like killing, whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Did this plot actually cross over to DS9 airing at the same time or was that just an excuse to have Quark

The Duras sisters show up on DS9 I think around the same time.
Also I'm not sure if anyone's ever recommended it to you, I'm surprised no on has, but I think you'd enjoy DS9 and should watch it after TNG.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Gorta's voice sounds like Quark's

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This guy's threatening to call CPS on Worf because Alexander can't fight

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Love the common sense objections Alexander's raising to the Klingon mythology even though I'm glad Worf isn't there to hear it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

When the guy's like "you don't belong here, you must be among your own kind" I was waiting for Alexander to say "that's not what my dad did"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
FYI, Amazon USA right now has a pretty decent deal on the complete DVD set of DS9 and VOY. And the ENT Blu-ray. It's ending midnight. I'm not sure if these new 2017 editions have extras cut from earlier sets.

Personally, I'm not getting them. And the reviews of the packing are pretty lovely.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I really hope all the unscrupulous figures the Enterprise is dealing with are just Quark in disguise

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo what if the sisters really didn't do it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hey the whole framing someone with an assassination dagger is the same thing from Game of Thrones

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh he creepin
WITH A GUN

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:psyboom:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The fuuuuuck

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

It just speaks to how much of a clusterfuck the production was. You had a director who didn't want to be there, directing a script by an awful writer who had a "no rewrites" clause in his contract.

I have no faith that anyone actually will, but I still hope somebody involved learned a lesson about how sometimes there really can be too high a price to pay to keep one of your star actors around.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Alexander's a temporal agent

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. I can honestly say I didn't see that coming even a little. I was just rocking back and forth through the whole conversation between Big Al and Worf. Also I like the implication that if he's encouraged Alex's diplomacy skills might be even better and able to avert the disaster that way

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Imagine being such a wiener that you go back in time to kill your 6-year-old child self so the universe will be better off without your constant failure, and then somehow manage to fail at that too because you can't outwit a second grader.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Imagine being such a wiener that you go back in time to kill your 6-year-old child self so the universe will be better off without your constant failure, and then somehow manage to fail at that too because you can't outwit a second grader.

And that second grader goes on to be a total goofus of a klingon warrior.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Episode over. I can honestly say I didn't see that coming even a little. I was just rocking back and forth through the whole conversation between Big Al and Worf. Also I like the implication that if he's encouraged Alex's diplomacy skills might be even better and able to avert the disaster that way

Hahahaha this is the episode where Alexander is so miserable he goes back in time to try to kill himself. What a horrible life story.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Everyone else gives it poo poo, but this is the kind of stuff I love S7 for. It's so "gently caress it, we're doing this weird concept" times however long the season is.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

And that second grader goes on to be a total goofus of a klingon warrior.

Wtf kind of arc is that

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wtf kind of arc is that

One you will only appreciate if you watch DS9.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wtf kind of arc is that

Alexander didn't have an arc because he wasn't a real person. There's an episode of Voyager where you learn he was a quantum figment that Q made that when Worf need to learn a valuable lesson.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wtf kind of arc is that

It’s probably the second best Alexander episode behind the one you just watched. Alexander is such a fuckup that he becomes a “good luck charm” for the ship he’s posted to and isn’t in on the joke.

It’s great.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DS9 at least addresses the elephant in the room: Worf is a loving terrible father.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wtf kind of arc is that

Worf finally makes real Klingon friends who can help guide him through fatherhood and marriage and his career etc. Part of that guidance is a very uncomfortable talk about the son Worf has practically abandoned.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Peachfart posted:

DS9 at least addresses the elephant in the room: Worf is a loving terrible father.

He is, in many ways, an awful person. And that’s why I love Worf.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Worf is the 7 of 9 of TNG

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Worf is the 7 of 9's parents of TNG

FTFY

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Oh come on, how is Worf to know that people keep existing when they're offscreen?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Mr. Worf, your parents wish to beam aboard."

"Yes, sir."

"Your son is with them."

"RECOMMEND WE RAISE SHIELDS, SIR."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well that explains why no one ever listens to Worf about the shields.

Meanwhile: Captain Janeway comes up with a plan to infiltrate the Borg involving getting herself, her engineer, and her head of security assimilated.
She forgets to cancel their passwords before they go.
:ughh:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Meanwhile: Captain Janeway comes up with a plan to infiltrate the Borg involving getting herself, her engineer, and her head of security assimilated.

VOY really works best if you read Janeway as utterly incompetent, which also explains why she got the admiral promotion over Sisko (cause Starfleet admiralty are a bunch of gently caress ups saved by their brilliant underlings).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

VOY really works best if you read Janeway as utterly incompetent, which also explains why she got the admiral promotion over Sisko (cause Starfleet admiralty are a bunch of gently caress ups saved by their brilliant underlings).

Sisko also wasn't really around much after somehow becoming a living god for a bit.

I mean he was supposed to come back, which I guess he did, but we never saw that on any screens, just the books.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Let's be honest here, much like in real life, the Federation's cybersecurity practices are basically nonexistant. Not that this excuses that decision but it's hardly the worst oversight in computer security on a Federation vessel or outpost.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Peachfart posted:

Martok sitting Worf down after Alexander comes aboard and being all "so, like, what happened here, buddy?" is one of my favorite DS9 moments.

I love that Martok is way, way cooler with Alexander not wanting to be a warrior than Worf is too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Let's be honest here, much like in real life, the Federation's cybersecurity practices are basically nonexistant. Not that this excuses that decision but it's hardly the worst oversight in computer security on a Federation vessel or outpost.

Such as, for example, the apparent inability to even turn off VPN access to tactical systems. Not even in say the middle of a battle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Guinan was an answer on Jeopardy tonight. The category was TV Watering Holes and the question was something like "Whoopi Goldberg played this 'Next Generation' character serving drinks at the ship's bar, Ten Forward"

There was a long pause, then someone buzzed in and said Data

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Guinan was an answer on Jeopardy tonight. The category was TV Watering Holes and the question was something like "Whoopi Goldberg played this 'Next Generation' character serving drinks at the ship's bar, Ten Forward"

There was a long pause, then someone buzzed in and said Data

Maybe they saw Conundrum once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Lol Riker is moonlighting in a Klingon ship and basically did the equivalent of beating up the toughest dude in jail so no one fucks with you.