Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What in the gently caress.
:thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm trying to watch TNG in french, and it's super weird to hear different voices come out of these faces. Also, is it ever funny how Riker is like "holy poo poo, the computer is telling me where to go? HOLY poo poo IT'S A HOLODECK."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

In other news...

I just finished Diane Duane's The Wounded Sky for the first time. Hot drat this is the good stuff. It was emotional, it played with all the characters, there was actual science being parlayed into crazy weirdness. Highly recommended as high-concept TOS stuff.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

mllaneza posted:

In other news...

I just finished Diane Duane's The Wounded Sky for the first time. Hot drat this is the good stuff. It was emotional, it played with all the characters, there was actual science being parlayed into crazy weirdness. Highly recommended as high-concept TOS stuff.

Duane is one of the better Star Trek authors, and The Wounded Sky got turned into a TNG episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVlKqh6IRdo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Duane is one of the better Star Trek authors, and The Wounded Sky got turned into a TNG episode.

Ah yes, the one with the interdimensional pederast and the rape gangs.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Finally got around to watching Into Darkness. It could have been worse, but man, what a waste. Way too many direct quotes from Wrath of Khan. Never enough Karl Urban. And lol at the cracking walnut sounds when Khan's trying to squish Spock's head.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Khan’s blood having the power of resurrection was the stupidest loving thing.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

marktheando posted:

No kidding. I love that it's "Khan's blood," too. Not, like, his DNA or some bullshit sciency thing. Just flat out magic blood.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

No kidding. I love that it's "Khan's blood," too. Not, like, his DNA or some bullshit sciency thing. Just flat out magic blood.
They could've at least said like, "his gene-spliced T-cells are astonishing" or whatever.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also, just kill him in one piece and beam him up; his blood will all still be in there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just beam his blood out of his body and into a sickbay flask.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Code of Honor in french: will this be mysteriously more racist?

E: wow, it's super insulting of them to beam these dignitaries aboard in the cargo bay.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 20, 2018

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CPColin posted:

Also, just kill him in one piece and beam him up; his blood will all still be in there.

You have problems whenTransporter 2 had a more elegant solution to exactly this problem

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

re: TMP, reposting this because it's really good

"A 22 minute Recut of 'Star Trek-The Motion Picture' set to Daft Punk's modern original score for 'Tron: Legacy'. "

https://vimeo.com/217336882

:circlefap:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Code of Honor in french: will this be mysteriously more racist?

Yup, still super weird that they visit the Planet of the Negroes. And the joke about french being obscure is really bizarre in french.

Le code du l'honneur :discourse:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Spock's "this simple feeling" speech in TMP is one of my favorite things in all of Trek :)

Sup thread! I finally got around to watching Star Trek Beyond, so I'm lurking/posting here for the first time in a while. I enjoyed the movie! It happened a film too late, but this movie just did its own thing (aside from the destruction of the Enterprise, which didn't even feel like a ham-handed allusion to the equivalent-numbered TOS film the way Into Darkness did) and really benefited from it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Quark wants some of that Cardassian bootay

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You will find that Quark is quite the interspecies playa.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Quark don't discriminate.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Oomaks is oomaks, son.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

marktheando posted:

I think that has my vote for dumbest thing in Into Darkness, slightly ahead of Spock getting to do the KHAN yell

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just sayin, this means that twenty-first century Earth invented the cure for everything and nobody bothered to keep it around.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Just sayin, this means that twenty-first century Earth invented the cure for everything and nobody bothered to keep it around.

This is an alternate timeline, so we don't know.

Kirk prime ruined the magic space blood by blowing it up.

Edit: oh, 21st century.... maybe they didn't know they had made the Trek Kwisatz Haderach at the time

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Caretaker was on last night. One thing I love about Voyager is the fact that Neelix assumed "Vulcan" was Tuvok's name in the first episode, and occasionally referred to him as such throughout the series.

:iamafag: "You Federations sure are an advanced culture."
:smug: "The Federation is composed of many cultures. I am Vulcan."
:iamafag: "Good to meet you!"

:3:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that has my vote for dumbest thing in Into Darkness, slightly ahead of Spock getting to do the KHAN yell

I don't even mind the superblood that much, but that KHAN yell is the absolute pits, considering it was Marcus who turbofucked the Enterprise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

I don't even mind the superblood that much, but that KHAN yell is the absolute pits, considering it was Marcus who turbofucked the Enterprise.
Right, and the whole Khan/Kirk ‘conflict’ was stupid in the movie. Khan was used by Section 31/Marcus for years, so of course he wants revenge.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doctor's Orders wtf did I just watch.

Literally this was the exact same plot as a Voyager episode. Not a similar idea, the exact same plot.

Also this rivalry between Reed and the MACO Major whats-his-name has to be the most boring interpersonal conflict I've ever seen on a TV show, I cannot care less about it and it makes me hate Reed personally. In any sane operation Reed would be Article 15'd, reduced in rank and replaced as head of security.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What, you don't like Reed and Major Anonymous having a delightfully homoerotic wrestling match in the corridors? I enjoyed it very much :heysexy:

The best tiny detail on the MACO uniform is their shark logo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Reed is probably the blandest main character in any Trek series.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mayweather is so bland you forgot he existed

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tied with Mayweather, imo. God, ENT was so much white toast.

Efb

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The stupidest part of STID was virtually everything. I can't single out one or two bad things. The whole is worse than the sum of its parts.

I'm still a bit touchy over this, because it was a remarkably bad movie that I saw at the cinema nonetheless. It had a high Rotten Tomatoes rating that can't be explained at all, as someone who has enjoyed plenty of poorly reviewed movies. And I still remember when the Trek thread hivemind defended it and was dismissing most criticism of it as typical "whatever new Trek sucks" hate.

Beyond was really good.

Edit: I'm trying not to beat a dead horse. So... I didn't find Reed too bad. Just a boring military dude with a consistent characterization. Mayweather wasn't bland as so much he was a non-entity.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 20, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burning_Monk posted:

Tied with Mayweather, imo. God, ENT was so much white toast.

Efb

I don't consider Mayweather a main character, sad to say. He's distinctly b-cast. Arguably, along with Reed, Hoshi, and Phlox. I think ENT wanted very badly for Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker to be the new Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, but, well, ENT.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The worst ENT stuff is when they try to go 24 and it just doesn't work with their writing and Scott Bakula and ugh.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I don't consider Mayweather a main character, sad to say. He's distinctly b-cast. Arguably, along with Reed, Hoshi, and Phlox. I think ENT wanted very badly for Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker to be the new Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, but, well, ENT.

I think every series except DS9 has shades of trying to reestablish that dynamic. Balancing emotion and logic, learning about humanity, growing oneself, all that stuff.

Edit: And making those things specific to those characters rather than that being something literally everyone does all the time.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 21, 2018

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kibayasu posted:

I think every series except DS9 has shades of trying to reestablish that dynamic. Balancing emotion and logic, learning about humanity, growing oneself, all that stuff.

Edit: And making those things specific to those characters rather than that being something literally everyone does all the time.

It's not even shades in ENT case, I remember an interview in a magazine before the series launched, their stated goal in the series was to give it a trio of leads in the same style as the original series.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seriously, it's the captain, a Vulcan and a southerner.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Khan in Star Trek II gets screwed over by Kirk and gets left for over a decade in a place that kills a ton of his crew including..... his beloved wife. Really just wants to kill Kirk and gently caress off to his own world to rule.

Khan in Into Darkness gets used for a few years but his whole crew is intact, wants to turbofuck the whole Federation and certainly kills a shitton of people by 911ing San Francisco.

It's the needless raising of stakes that makes the motivations of the bad guy too over the top to be even remotely relatable.

OG Khan is motivated by grief transforming into rage. JJ Khan just seems like a whiny bitch in comparison.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Am I alone I’m not particularly liking Dax? I like just about the whole cast except Dax. She just seems like a bland filler character so far. The one episode with her old Klingon friends was lukewarm. It’s more because everyone else seems so much more fleshed out I think. I feel like I care more about Garrick than Dax.