Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Because of course he does:

https://twitter.com/io9/status/779331466438307841

"They're called action figures, mom Morn!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

"We need some art for our mobile app...but we don't want to pay a lot of money." -Star Trek execs, probably.

Some prime avatar material here (yet I browse with avatars turned off, quite illogical).

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The Voyage Homm

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Deep Space Eight (The Ocho)

Doggles fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 18, 2016

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I want to see an asian scify that's traditionally always been like 90% chinese actors and culture in their future setting suddenly introduce the USS APOLLO FREEDOMSHIP captained by Captain John Smith, a cowboy, to court the american audience.
Is this close enough? Japan's Power Rangers had a recent season based on ninjas (Shuriken Sentai Ninninger). One of the rangers who shows up later is a cowboy whose morpher is a cheeseburger.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.startrek.com/article/qapla-discovery-introduces-the-klingons

We got some Klingons here!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Whats funny is that it becomes a good episode if it was a phaser or maguffin that will explode and kill a bunch of poo poo so there is a huge reason for needing to go back for it since the consequences would be dire for the natives. I like the episode, but it is stupid as poo poo for all the reasons you described.

McSpanky posted:

Hey, if there was radium in the glow-in-the-dark paint on the clock face...
TNG did it better.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I'm still holding out hope that Combs will get cast on Discovery.

What's the average lifespan for an Andorian?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Zore posted:

Voyager had 'Photons be free' The Doctor's holonovel.

And the red disc VR game Wesley has to save the day from in TNG :v:

And don't forget Anbo-jyutsu, the ultimate evolution of the martial arts!®

I will never tire of this image.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Deathwing posted:

This was one thing I liked about SG-1 and Atlantis - aside from travelling to another galaxy (mostly) and a few other circumstances, just dial up any stargate anywhere in the network, and you're there in one shot.

I feel like the Trek version would be huge chains of relays, but only between heavily travelled planets, otherwise it would get ridiculous quick.

They wound up doing the relay thing in Stargate to try and get around not being able to gate to other galaxies on the regular. Stargates from uninhabited worlds were placed in a row in the space between the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/McKay/Carter_Intergalactic_Gate_Bridge

:goonsay:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

There is always more, and it is always worse:
Star Trek: Discovery casts Spock’s father, pushes premiere date

quote:

Discovery will start filming in Toronto next week. However — and this is the other significant development — the series is no longer going to premiere in May as previously announced. This is the second time the show’s debut date has changed. But while certain creative and production issues were a factor when Discovery was originally pushed from February to May, we’re hearing lately the drama is on track under new showrunners Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts.

So what are the chances that CBS All Access dies before one of its flagship series ever debuts?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Tighclops posted:

No, it'll be a Borg episode somehow. Again.

Captain's Log - Stardate 4032.7

The rudimentary cyborgs we have encountered appear to be constructing a machine in order to bring about some sort of apocalypse, a...DOOMSDAY, if you will. While I wish I could communicate my concerns to The Starfleet, I have managed to negotiate the release of my ship and crew by allowing this queen of the cyborgs to wipe all record of their activities from our records and memories.

While we are not able to stop this machine today, perhaps one day...in the future, some other brave captain with an even braver crew might be able to finish what we started with some sort of cowboy diplomacy.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Pakled posted:

DS9 season 7 really went out of its way to drive home the fact that Vulcans are dicks.

Vulcans may be dicks, but look who's poop!

Sony announces Patrick Stewart will voice Poop in 'The Emoji Movie'

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I was watching Voyager last night and the episode "Shattered" came on. It's the season 7 episode where Voyager is struck by a temporal anomaly and the ship is split into different time frames with Chakotay as the only one aware of the changes initially. It was better than I remember and a fantastic premise for an episode: a present-day character has to team up with characters both past and future in order to solve the mystery of the anomaly and fix the timeline. Tons of callbacks to previous episodes. Guest stars include Seska, Chaotica, and THE FREAKIN' MACROVIRUS!

I start thinking, this is the sort of episode that should have been Voyager's series finale. That's when it hits me, Next Generation already did it.

Voyager truly is Diet TNG. All the flavor of TNG, but less fulfilling.

To tie this back into food chat:
Voyager comes from a food slot, Next Generation comes from the kitchen.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

sunday at work posted:

Looks like someone squished a ship down into half its original volume.

It's funny you mention ship size. I don't know if they ever fixed it, but when the game launched the interiors where nonsensically scaled up.

Captain: Helm, set a course for two oh three mark eight.
Helmsman: Sorry captain, did you say something?
Captain: SET A COURSE FOR TWO OH THREE MARK EIGHT!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Axanar killed Richard Hatch

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

mycomancy posted:

God drat how old is that .gif?

Old enough for Aatrek to lose interest in it. :aatrek:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

At this rate, we'll have caught up to the time in which Star Trek Discovery takes place by the time it comes out.

WGA Members Vote For Strike Authorization – Star Trek Discovery Writers Voice Their Support

quote:

Some of the writers for Star Trek: Discovery voiced their support for the strike authorization via Twitter when voting began last week, including Bo Yeon Kim and Sean Cochran. Supervising Producer Ted Sullivan also urged his fellow writers to vote yes.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

The whole season is a paper-thin framing device wrapped around footage from earlier shows and films, cut footage, and CGI manipulations of old footage, etc.

Episode 1

"Guardian of Forever, why is our trek through the stars so important?"

BEHOLD, a visual representation of captain's logs from your future!

Series Finale

"Why have we been spending almost a third of our time watching some crew bumble around the Delta Quadrant?"

SILENCE! Neelix is telling a joke.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Delsaber posted:

Back on the subject of bad DS9 episodes: the one about the crazy lady who crashed her ship and started some kinda bullshit survivalist colony is pretty unbearable.

Still better than M. Night Shyamalan's The Village.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episode 15 "Paradise"

One of Trek's worst episodes.

Still better than the movie with a similar premise: M. Night Shyamalan's The Village. :ghost:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That was my point. BBC-A shelled out for Voyager syndication this year. I don't think Voyager was in syndication prior to that since its run ended on Spike in 2010. So, from 2010-2017 it really wasn't airing anywhere, so not much for residuals.

:eng101: Voyager has been broadcast as part of the All Star Trek block on Heroes & Icons since July of last year.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Timby posted:

It's a broadcast subchannel that's been around for a few years, usually connected to CW affiliates.

Yep, it doesn't broadcast everywhere, but it came to my city last year shortly before they started their All Star Trek block. More and more little broadcast channels are starting to pop up with great syndicated content. I've got Heroes & Icons for Star Trek, and even more recently Comet for Stargate SG-1 and Mystery Science Theater 3000. Get yourself a $20 antenna and see what you can pick up!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

As if CBS's streaming offering wasn't already bad enough, Star Trek Discovery will have a mid-season break on top of only releasing one episode per week.

Premieres September 24

quote:

U.S. Schedule

Star Trek: Discovery will launch in the U.S. on Sunday, September 24 with a broadcast premiere that night on the CBS Television Network airing at 8:30-9:30 PM, ET/PT (time approximate following NFL Football and 60 Minutes). The series premiere will also be available on-demand on CBS All Access and the second episode of the series will be available on the service that same night immediately following the broadcast premiere.

After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two chapters. The first eight episodes will run from Sunday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Nov. 5. The season will then resume with the second chapter debuting in January 2018.

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-sets-premiere-date

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Tighclops posted:

those vest things look silly

Keeping with Star Trek tradition then.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Nessus posted:

I can petition for a new discovery-oriented title if we want to lure in the frosh.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Star Trek: The TV-MA series...no, not The Orville

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Which is why CBS is proud to present it on your computer screen (or compatible streaming device) through a variable-quality stream depending on your bandwidth! :v:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Why was the Enterprise-B the only ship in range in the solar system?

Because all the other ships were busy patrolling the same edge of Federation space as the Shenzhou.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It would be so confusing if this just happened to be the first episode anyone saw.

It's even worse when you think you've already seen every episode of TNG. And then you tune in part-way through this episode. I was :wtc:ing through the rest of it.

Watching reruns of TNG after it ended and I somehow consistently missed this episode and The First Duty for nearly a decade. An absolute jaw-dropping experience to see new (to me) episodes of TNG in the mid-2000s.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Believe an EU novel later explained (because of course) that Macet was Dukat's more liberal-minded identical cousin who grew his facial hair to distinguish himself from him.

What's our man Macet been up to in the EU no one might ask?

"Macet remained on DS9 to represent Cardassia at Bajor's signing ceremony for admittance into the Federation, but instead witnessed the assassination of the First Minister Shakaar Edon - who it turned out was under control of a Bluegill parasite. A short while later another parasite attempted to take control of Macet."

Bluegills are the parasites from Conspiracy. Macet leads a force of Cardassians to blockade the Bajoran sector to prevent the infection from spreading. When the Defiant comes across the blockade Ezri reveals one of her former hosts encountered the Bluegills during an expedition lead by Christopher Pike. Research into the Bluegills was interrupted by Pike's incident that resulted in his beepy chair.

:ughh:

Doggles fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 28, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

8one6 posted:

Goddamn is Measure of a Man a fantastic episode!

Get the TNG Blu-rays, there's an extended cut of that episode! Back in the day, as a thank you for the fantastic script, the writer of the episode was sent a VHS copy of the episode containing scenes that got cut to fit broadcast runtime. The producers of the Blu-rays used that copy to find the footage of the cut scenes in their archive, remaster them for HD, and reinsert them back into the episode. Bumps the runtime from 44 minutes to nearly and hour.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

For a show that's so blatant in being inconsistent with Trek, there are some weirdly deep continuity cuts in Discovery downtimes. Spock's mum liking Alice in Wonderland was established in a one-liner from TAS, of all places. And the dilithium mine was wiped out because the same thing happened to it as the planet from Pen Pals.

Inconsistent is the best way to describe it.

The writers dove far enough into continuity to get your spoilers mentioned, but somehow not far enough to realize having the captain keep a tribble on his desk next to an open bowl of food is a really stupid idea.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wesley died. He's dead.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Nevermind he's fine.

A perfect summary for every Wesley episode.

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey guys this week on discovery they're using the universal network of fungal spores to teleport the ship.

No that wasn't a typo.

And this makes the show sound way more fun than it actually is. :smith:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

You'll need an All Access pass to watch it too! :haw:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Confession time: I've binged watched all of TNG, I'm now binging on Voyager, I'm nearly done with S2 and I don't understand why people dislike Voyager. I think it's really really good with interesting characters and stories. It feels like I have seen more unique sets, locations and ideas in the first two seasons than all of TNG put together. It seems a lot less janky than TNG and produced with more polish on a higher budget too. I ain't knocking it for poo poo mind you, I am just surprised at the juxtaposition between the hate it gets and the actual show that it is. This thread was making me expect far worse. Please do not attempt to murder me.

:same:

I think one of the reasons for the hate is that it pretty quickly ignores its own premise. Aside from a handful of episodes early on, all talk of power and food rationing goes out the window. Then in later seasons, they're throwing out their "irreplaceable supply of 38" photon torpedoes like candy.

Another reason is that while it's a more polished TNG, its best episodes are never quite as good as the best of TNG. Similar to that, bad episodes of TNG tend to be so bad they're good, but bad episodes of Voyager simply tend to be boring. Then you've got episodes like "Author, Author" that start with a phenomenal original premise in the first half, only to become a crappy imitation of "The Measure of a Man" in the second half.

And that's Voyager in a nutshell. Great premises, great setups, and great scenarios, but they fail to stick the landings like TNG did more often than not. Voyager is still a good sci-fi show, but you can see the potential for greatness in it that it is never quite able to reach.

Fake Edit: Beaten like the Borg every single time they encounter Voyager.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Frionnel posted:

I'm still going through Voyager for the first time (just ended season 4), and there's an episode I watched yesterday, Demon, that shows a lot of the problems that plague VOY.

An alien goo clones Kim and Paris, and wants to clone the rest of Voyager's crew. There's some interesting dilemmas there right? Are they sentient? Do they have individuality? Is it ethical to do that? Even if the goo succeeds, what will the clones do on the planet? Do they need to eat or drink? Do they reproduce?

In a rare bit of continuity, there's actually a follow-up episode all about this further in the series.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Huh, what do you know. Which season is it?

Next season, 5. Don't want to give away too much if you want to go into it fresh.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

HD DAD posted:

TNG and Voyager are such different entities to me that my brain finds it weird their productions overlapped so much. Like the character of Chakotay existed somewhere on paper while they were pumping out Sub-Rosa.

...okay no now it makes more sense.

Nearly a year before Chakotay and B'Elanna Torres are introduced on Voyager, these two characters show up in the background of the Deep Space Nine episode that introduces the Maquis...

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

Nah, they gotta be doing something important up there. Otherwise one of them would have been picked to be the next nurse instead of Paris. It makes perfect sense your only pilot should also double as your only nurse because those are definitely the two jobs you want one exhausted dude doing double shifts for.

There had to have been a transporter clone made of him that he never mentioned. On top of being the ship's best pilot and only nurse, in his free time he's apparently breaking the warp 10 barrier, designing and building shuttlecraft that outperform anything else Starfleet can put out, and creating original multi-episodic holodeck programs from scratch!

And to top it all off, he even gets the girl.

VitalSigns posted:

Paris never gets tired, he's someone's self-insert.

He's a smooth bad boy academy dropout who is also an ace pilot and a supergenius who invented the infinite improbability drive in like a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Why do people on the (TNG era) Enterprise have like, trays of hard boiled eggs and spiny melon sitting around in their bedrooms.

What the gently caress are you gonna do with a bunch of eggs, plums, spiny melon, and tomato.

It's the traditional time dilation warning system.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Troi's hotness is usually more notional than actual