Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Windows 98 posted:

Wow season 2 finale was a big ol flop. Thanks for the Riker’s Greatest Hits -_-

Yeeeah, that one is pretty rough. It’s generally regarded as one of the worst episodes of Star Trek ever (any series) - they ran over budget on earlier episodes in the season and did a clips show to help balance the books.

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

skasion posted:

He’s not really wrong, they spent a lot of time and money on the holodeck Sherlock and the Borg episodes and were told by Paramount to make a cheap episode to film quickly. It’s not like the worst poo poo ever in my opinion, it’s just there.

The guy who was in charge of the clip show editing wanted to call the episode “Riker’s Brain”.

I thinks it sticks in people’s minds as a bad episode as clip shows (at least generic ones like this without some kind of twist as with SG-1’s) are generally weak, and closing out the season with one was doubly poor. In terms of actual awfulness, I agree I don’t think it holds a candle to episodes like Code of Honor.

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 16, 2017

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, they're the show that you go to for jokes about Morn's dick, and Ro Laren/Wesley Crusher drops. It's not about insight.

If you want a podcast with a mix of fun and insight, I’m mightily enjoying Rachel Watches Star Trek - Chris Lackey (from the HP Literary Podcast), a massive Trek fan, and his wife Rachel, who had never watched an episode, are going through the episodes in order. Some nice differences in perspective, and also bloody funny.

They’re halfway through TOS Season 1, so there are a good few episodes now plus extra comments shows if you kick a couple of dollars in to their Patreon.

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 25, 2018

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Nobody mentioned that Rachel on Rachel watches star trek is played by rose Leslie

I can’t remember if it was on one of the older, free comments shows or one that’s Patreon-only, but I recall a listener commented on Rachel’s ‘sexy British accent’, so she replied to his comment on the show in an over-the-top, seductive voice.

I’ll put a comment on the Patreon that she should work “You know nothing, Chris Lackey!” into the next comments show ;-)

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I like it (Rachel Watches Star Trek) too. It's like hearing Daphne Moon talk about old TOS episodes. I must admit that I went into that podcast thinking it was going to be a couple of hipsters smirkily making fun of TOS, but I'm happy to see that I was wrong.

Hah - on the last Patreon comments show, one listener commented that they thought Rachel sounded like Bubbles from Absolutely Fabulous. Rachel wondered if many listeners outside of the UK would know that show, and that maybe they thought she sounded like Daphne from Frasier - I’ll let her know she was right ;-)

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Credit to the computer that generated script - when I saw that the response was that the big thing of chips was in Riker’s quarters, I thought, ”Yep, that sounds about right.”

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 2, 2018

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah really, what? That ending was perfect.

Years ago, a friend of mine suggested one change they could have made to the last episode that I thought, “Yep, that would have been cool” - that the last moment of the show should have been Morn speaking.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Post credits scene?

Yeah, that would have worked well - something simple like Morn ordering a drink.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

The excellent Rachel Watches Star Trek podcast has now finished the first season of TOS and posted its season wrap-up show (though the episodes are free to listen, the wrap-up is one of the Patreon tier bonuses). I rewatched the episodes to follow along with each show; I had forgotten just how good (and just how crazy) some of these episodes were. A few things that I had either forgotten or not noticed before:

The quality of some of the guest stars - Ricardo Montalban probably leaps out to most people as a stand out, but drat John Colicos as Kor and Mark Lenard as the Romulan Commander were fantastic.

McCoy takes a while to develop - he’s not terribly likeable initially.

There is some amazing Kirk-Fu!

For me, top picks for episodes in the season are City on the Edge of Forever and Balance of Terror, though for sheer oddness Shore Leave is up there. What the hell is it with the one blue plant?!? Honourable mention for The Enemy Within for Shatner chewing up the scenery.

Worst episode, no contest - The Alternative Factor. Eeeeesh.

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 3, 2018

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I feel like that’s true of almost all the women in the original Star Trek, though. I remember the conversation in Who Mourns for Adonais that went something like “She’s a great asset to the ship. It’s a shame that, like all women, she’ll one day find a man and leave the service.”

:wtc::females::biotruths:

There’s another example of the attitudes of the time towards women in the next episode, “The Changeling” after Nomad wipes Uhura’s mind:

NOMAD: That unit is defective. Its thinking is chaotic. Absorbing it unsettled me.
SPOCK: That unit is a woman.
NOMAD: A mass of conflicting impulses.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Given how insanely dangerous space travel seems to be, most people are likely going to stay on paradise Earth.

That whole scene is rad. He continues from there, "It would be most effective to cut the carotid artery," and then after Khan compliments him on his balls of steel, he's just like "I was only trying to avoid an argument."

It’s a great scene. Rewatching Space Seed a few months ago whilst following along with the Rachel Watches Star Trek podcast I noticed a nice touch I’d missed before - from when he’s pretending to be unconscious throughout the entire scalpel to the throat scene, Khan’s heartbeat on the audible sickbay monitor doesn’t change from the same, steady beat.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Dear fellow Trek Goons - for those of you with access to BBC America, may I commend to your attention the TrekBack Best of Spock special this coming Friday (5th April)? Hosted from 5pm EST by Rachel Lackey and Chris Lackey of the Rachel Watches Star Trek podcast!

https://twitter.com/mrchrislackey/status/1112730111692992515

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

The only things I’ve seen Billingsly in are Enterprise, Six Feet Under, and a corporate customer service training video. That’s a shame.

He’s quite disturbing in short horror film AM1200.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I still do not understand Assignment: Earth detractors. Why do you hate fun?

I agree it’s quite a fun piece of television, but as a Star Trek episode who wants to see this unknown guy make your heroes look like a bunch of bumblers? Spock and Kirk spend the episode either messing things up or watching Gary Seven fix the mess.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'll give Rachel Watches Star Trek a go at some point then!

marktheando posted:

It's a good listen. American Trekkie watches Trek from the start with his English wife who has never seen it before. It's a lot of fun listening to her get more and more enthused about silly old space ship shows.

I'm hyped for them to get to TNG in the new year.

Thirding the recommendation for Rachel Watches Star Trek - it’s a great listen. If you want to jump on at a more recent spot and catch up on the rest later, Episode 82 is the first TAS one and you can catch up to the current episode pretty quickly. They’ve decided to double-time through the TAS episodes as they’re shorter, unless they come across one that’s got enough meat for a full podcast (e.g. Yesteryear).

It’s available for free at rachelwatchesstartrek.com, but if you listen and like it I’d recommend checking out the Patreon - the show’s backer community is excellent, and you get plenty of bonus content even at the $2/month level.

And I’m really looking forward to them hitting TNG too - it’ll be interesting to see what Rachel makes of it.

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 28, 2019

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

galagazombie posted:

One nerdy thing I like about Trek is learning about all the re-using and re-dressing of props and sets due to budget constraints. It's just a fascinating study in problem solving and ingenuity. Things like filming the same ship upside down so it looks like a different ship. Or the Angel One matte painting being used for half the planets in the galaxy by filming it under different lighting or distances. Or how they could make bridges for all the different Federation ships by just moving around the chairs.

They did it from large to small scale too; from the Enterprise refit bridge from the movies being used as the 1701-D battle bridge and the Stargazer bridge, through the TOS transporter platform floor becoming the TNG transporter platform ceiling, to Bashir using a tool that’s a repainted nacelle from a Romulan D’deridex class warbird model.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I had my wife watch the first episode with the intention of having a show I could watch without her, but she would have an idea what was going on if she was present. By the end of the first season she had Opinions and ended up watching through to the end of Atlantis.

The full frontal nudity in the first episode of SG:1 always manages to catch me by surprise somehow!

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

PSA: The excellent Rachel Watches Star Trek has reach TNG! If you are already a patron of this excellent podcast (https://www.patreon.com/rachelwatchesstartrek/) you’ll know that already since you got access to the first TNG episode last week, but if not it’s now available to all at https://www.rachelwatchesstartrek.com.

If you’re not familiar with the podcast, Chris loves Star Trek. Rachel had never watched it. Until 2017, when this podcast began. They have now completed the Original Series, The Animated Series, and movies I-VI. Rachel and Chris talk about each episode of Star Trek, from the original TOS pilot onwards, getting her outsider’s perspective on one of the most influential Sci-fi shows of all time.

It’s funny, insightful, and one of my favourite podcasts. As a bonus, to demonstrate his love for TNG and introduce Rachel to the new series, Chris sung her a song about it - here’s the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHOBTHvcLI

(you can find more of their video content on their YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPVMhdUTQP8U3MGxvhIZ03A)

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

They have great rapport and radio voices but those musicals (and Rachel's bizarre choice to attempt an American Southern accent) are bad.

I find the musical bits fun, but can appreciate that not everyone might find them so. I have to confess to a bit of a bias as I wrote the “(TNG is) The Greatest Show” parody for them.

Do you mean the Southern accent for the “Two Part Show”/“Double Bill” numbers? I think it’s it’s an “Oklahoma!” pastiche, hence the accent, but I don’t really know that musical so I could be wrong.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Astroman posted:

If she's watched that much she's every Star Trek fan up til 1986, so I think her status as an "outsider" is debateable. :crossarms:

Fair point - they’ve commented throughout the podcast’s progression about Rachel’s journey from someone who didn’t have a clue about Star Trek to - well, if not exactly a fan, to someone who has watched Star Trek and gained an appreciation of it.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Humerus posted:

Didn't one of the movies have a horta on the Federation Council?

Almost - Star Trek IV was going to, but they couldn’t produce a Horta in time so the idea was abandoned. From Memory Alpha:

“Two days before filming of the Federation Council scenes in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, it was requested that one of the aliens present in the setting be a Horta ambassador. As notice of the request was given so soon before the scenes were shot, however, the creation of a Horta in time for filming was an impossibility. Thus, the Horta failed to make an appearance in the film. (text commentary, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Special Edition) DVD)”

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are there any other actual decent Trek podcasts that aren’t Greatest Gen or the Cirric Lofton/Aron Eisenberg one? I tried to get into Treks and the City but it’s really dependent on the guests.

I highly recommend Rachel Watches Star Trek (https://www.rachelwatchesstartrek.com); they’ve just recently started on TNG, having gone through TOS, TAS and the original crew movies,

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

I know there are a few fellow fans of Rachel Watches Star Trek in here - if you have a few minutes to spare to vote for RWST in the British Podcast Awards, I’m sure they would appreciate it!

https://www.britishpodcastawards.com/vote

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

An invite would be most appreciated! RafeBall#2573

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Veotax posted:

I remember the writer of The Inner Light wrote a webcomic sequel, which was of course called "The Outer Light". I remember it was terrible.

IIRC the Enterprise comes across a ship with Picard's family from the simulation, they say something along the lines of 'of course we're a space faring people, we made that incredibly advanced probe didn't we'. Then the Romulans show up and they trap them in a simulation where the Romulans win and take over the Enterprise, turning the bridge into a strip club for some reason.

Seems to have been scrubbed from the internet though, can't find it anywhere.

It’s not been scrubbed that hard - I found it on a Google search for “The Outer Light” “Star Trek”:

http://treksinscifi.com/podcast_notes/?p=2292

(Edit: Okay, that site didn’t have it all, but a quick GIS of the first page turned up https://m.imgur.com/gallery/UWlKL which has the whole thing)

Trevellian fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Veotax posted:

I'll admit, I didn't try too hard. I think I just Googled "The Outer Light" and the first few sites didn't have it, inducing the site it was originally posted on.

Taking a look at it, yep, still terrible.

Yeeeeaah..... I can see why you didn’t look too hard for it, that’s pretty rough!