Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just saw Beyond and nearly died of bij when they said the captain of the Franklin was a former MACO and then literally an NX class busted into the movie and surfed away on a cloud of bees

I can't even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seriously thank you Star Trek Beyond for making me explain what a MACO is to another living being

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mogomra posted:

That was actually the best part. Unless it was good bij, then OK! :yeah:

Good bij for sure

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think mostly I was just overjoyed that Beyond had a coherent plot that was also fairly original and not a complete ripoff of something else. And they had a creative, clever way of beating the bad guys, not just pew pew lasers.

Same. They made a passable Star Trek movie with action elements. That's really okay! We need those Enterprise Mine and Doomsday Machine and Juggernaut episodes. They give texture to the really cerebral ones.

But you need to have the Trek underpinnings. Into Darkness and Nemesis didn't have that, in my opinion. Beyond did. Or at least it tried.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

That's only part 1. There's 2 other parts of similar length.

*presses 60s intercom button on desk* ms. secretary please cancel all my appointments today and hold the phone

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't agree with that assessment at all. Kirk is not a Mary Sue by any stretch; he's repeatedly shown to sometimes fly off the handle before he has all the facts.

He also gets beat up all the drat time and sulkily follows bad orders like a teenager when he's outranked

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

lol at janeway going out of her way to inflict maximum damage on harry for getting laid and smiling while she does it

also they were eating chips in this scene good to see those survived WW3

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
they didnt do a very good job

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Goblin Craft posted:

Different strokes and all, but I checked out of Trek after about season 5 of Voyager

You might wanna revisit those last few seasons, I'd say seasons 5 and 6 have the highest quality eps. Which isn't saying much but still. The Equinox two parter is one of the only eps Ron D Moore liked and he felt the entire series should've been like that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's very interesting that most of the Captains started in theater between Shatner, Stewart, Brooks

also Bakula started on Broadway apparently

Beltran was and is a Shakespearean actor too (he teaches workshops to this day) which blew my mind bc I never liked his character

My fav story about him with Ray Walston (Boothby):

memory alpha ray walston posted:

During his appearance on the Star Trek: Voyager episode "In the Flesh", Walston often had trouble with remembering his lines during long one-shot dialogue scenes. However, while the cameraman was changing the film during shooting of the scene in the briefing room, Walston recited a line from Hamlet. 

Robert Beltran then stated the next line, and Walston the next. The two went on for about five full minutes, amazing the entire cast and crew. 

Tim Russ remembered in an interview for the special features of the Voyager Season 5 DVD that it was so quiet besides them, you could hear a pin drop, and that when they were done, everyone broke out in applause.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
If anyone has any Discovery DVDs or Blurays, do they have Klingon subtitles? I don't mean English subtitles for the Klingons, I mean CBS provided Klingon subtitles for the entire show while it was streaming but I can't find them anywhere and I'm seeing mixed reports online.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't see them on my copy.

Qu'vatlh! Thanks for checking

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

"Today is a good day for CBT!"

Combat But Therapeutic

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Vidiians were cool and it sucks they disappeared from the show until Jason Alexander cured them

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Idk I liked the beer pipes. reminds me of the LHC

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sir Lemming posted:

It forces in this distracting element of "we have to figure out what's really going on" which is never a good thing when the answer is "I dunno, space magic?"

This is my least favorite plot device, although there are some episodes (Things Past) that manage to pull it off

Distant Voices was probs the worst of these, Bashir figured it out halfway through and the episode kept crawling along anyway

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah I can totally see Romulan security going a little overboard with air gaps

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Paradoxish posted:

I've been rewatching Voyager (for only the second time) as background noise while I work because I hate myself, and I've come to the conclusion that this is by far the darkest, most pessimistic Star Trek.

Agreed and I think season 5 especially. I always thought of it as the "horror" season. Starting with Night and ending with Equinox, lots of bleak stuff and people dealing with loss and pain. Course: Oblivion is especially cold.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

HD DAD posted:

I think there was definitely a set of writers on TNG and VOY that wrote Trek less as “utopian ideals” and more as “Twilight Zone on a starship”.

Absolutely, I get that vibe from a lot of episodes.

Other spooky Voyager stuff: all the serial killers. I can name four offhand jeez they were up to their eyeballs in psychopaths out there.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
They should've let the Vidiian doctor lady stay on board, maybe the Doctor would've mellowed out sooner

More Voyager spooky:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

thotsky posted:

fash gonna fash; the important thing is that we don't diminish just how terrible nuTrek is

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I liked the part in STB when Idris Elba's crashed ship turned out to be an NX class I know it's fanservice but I was hootin and hollerin when that thing took off

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Turn in your nerd card. NX isn't a class (outside of the original Enterprise), it's an experimental designation. The Franklin was a "Freedom" class vessel.

If it looks like an upside down Akira then it's an NX class sorry. I don't make the rules

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
7x05 Critical Care, good ep. Up there with Past Tense and Bar Association imo

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
What's your first impression of the series ending?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Choking to death on gas and the last thing you hear is Dukat blathering on about his soft spot for Bajorans and how much it pains him to do this

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
*hits blunt* Cloud Atlas is a repetitive epic

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
can I get a datetime conversion from stardate JUNE 1989 to utc?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
How did he ruin it? Im not current on that drama

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Veotax posted:

Also he lied to Tony Todd that Axanar was an official production.

Okay now this guy is on my shitlist. Tony Todd rules.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess there's similar problems with the transporter, but that mostly just concerns dumb philosophical nerds as opposed to alienating everyone who cares about their food.

Speaking of transports, I watched Tomorrow is Yesterday and I still don't understand why transporting the guys back would erase their memories. Or did they kill one copy of the USAF guys?

Also lol at how careful Kirk was with the timeline vs the TNG crew with Cochrane. The TOS crew pulled off this complicated time warp maneuver to erase evidence of themselves, meanwhile Crusher doesn't even bother using Dr. Pulaski's technique on Zefram Cochrane and he drunkenly rants about the Borg to half the galaxy. Even Seven knows that dude saw an Enterprise from the future.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They're co-workers, and he's her superior officer. Let's not.

Hard disagree. Let them gently caress. That goes for everyone in the future.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

A.o.D. posted:

Although I will say TOS Spock was almost perfectly asexual. Sure, he experienced the biological urge of Pon-farr, but he never seemed to pursue a romantic relationship, and was completely uninterested in his arranged marriage except for the fact that it was his duty to complete it.

What about the cave lady in All Our Yesterdays? That groovy chick on the trippy spores planet? The Romulan commander in The Enterprise Incident?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sisko restaurant makes perfect sense. I knew a chef who retired, got bored, and set up a one-man breakfast spot in a closet somewhere on the downtown outskirts. There's been a line out the door every single weekend for years now.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Axe-man posted:

Well for other chefs, usually they are also learning a craft. So you might start as the onion guy so you learn how to cut things, etc.

Or you take turns, rochambeau, draw up an equitable weekly schedule, etc. Yknow like normal people undertaking a mutual endeavor to make something good.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Odo turned into a trampoline just out of frame. This was explained in the novels

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

HIJK posted:

One of the perks of being the Sisko is the Bajorean trampoline that he gets to carry with him just in case. The Prophets instructed the Bajoreans on the noble art of trampoline making thousands of years prior just for this moment.

Kai Winn has been trying to get her hands on this thing for years. Every time she ovehears a human say "Let's bounce" her eye starts twitching

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like when Garak does the :O face

Like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Janeway killed the manifestation of fear in that ice clown episode

Also helped a Q kill himself