Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It's funny how that's all a perfectly good series of ideas for a Star Trek race except there's that one sentence.

Also I guess that explains why the Ferengi were always in a glowing white field on the viewscreen at first, I never got what was up with that.

I always thought it was lack of budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I did not like Samuel Clemens on TNG. Starting season 6 makes me somewhat sad because I know I've gone through the best seasons already. TNG is such an awesome show, I wish I'd gotten into Star Trek sooner. It's really nice that most of the Star Trek shows are currently on Netflix.

edit: Just realized Barclay is also on Voyager not DS9. I was excited for him on DS9. No idea if I'll ever try to watch Voyager.

One of the funniest moments of TNG is when Picard calls Barclay Broccoli

Start of Season 7 TNG which was mediocre at best.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say the canon ending for Sisko should be everyone thinks he's missing, but he's been retired anonymously to the Bajor countryside with Kasidy and their baby the whole time.

And letting his other child, friends, and family go one believing he's dead. That’s horrible.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

It’s space alcohol, not human alcohol.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

skasion posted:

Keiko isn’t an enlisted man because she’s not in Starfleet, she’s a civilian

Keiko is a civilian contractor. She is space Halliburton.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

That’s not a terrible thing.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Discovery is a more interesting show than VOY because it’s very bad in interesting ways. Voyager is a better show but it’s blandness makes it forgettable.

quote:

Discovery is like Hillary Clinton or Justin Trudeau, they spend a lot of money paying lip service to the kinds of things people like to get support and then boom war crimes

Amazingly prescient.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Why would they let the murderous psychopath possess the command officer’s body? They should’ve given that job to Rom.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 30, 2019

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

THEY ARE ALL SECTION 31 SHIPS

Star Trek: Paranoia

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Paramount would have had to pay royalties to the episode writer to reuse the Locarno character. Building Paris from scratch was much cheaper, apparently.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

It is but it’s kinda debatable how in character it is for the Federation, if only because of the parade of corrupt admirals in TNG getting held accountable for stuff.

As much humanity likes to pat itself on the back for “progress” only the alpha sociopaths make it to the top of the management heap.

Agnosticnixie posted:

The episode mentions that Republic is the normal training ship which based on the name and the implied age (it was already old af in the 2320s since it hasn't even left the solar system since then) would probably make it one of the original connies which I can't imagine being that much older than Mirandas as a class.

The only way Valiant would have been better is as a Down Periscope remake where they get their asses kicked by a more experience crew in some ancient movie-era trash heap.

Also there's something kinda funny about the fact that the Defiants as depicted in Valiant are canonically slower than even the ENT-era NXes unless you say gently caress the regs and disable a bunch of engineering safeties.

In a real life, the cadets of Annapolis will do periods of training on ships in service. Real experience, training on an asset in real situations.

Why use a rust bucket anyway when you can train on the holodeck? You can have the interactive experience of the drudgery of charting gaseous anomalies and be a helmsman at the Battle of Axanar.

quote:

He literally told Sisko that Leyton ordered Red Squad to sabotage Earth's Power Grid, which seems odd to just go along with. Then again so is having a literal secret roster of cadets (according to Nog, Red Squad's roster list is secret).

Admittedly there is a difference between following orders and masterminding a coverup, but it just seems really odd that Locrano of all people committed "an unforgiveable act" considering all the other coverups, ethical breaches, and war crimes that occur from actual officers instead of just cadets who probably don't have the best sense of judgement yet. I mean Tom Paris gets 18 months in New Zealand for actual Treason (being in the Maquis).

In the 24th century the Kobiashi Maru is ethnics and military law.

*That whole episode was Leyton’s test in Ethics for the class of ‘72 and they FAILED.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 31, 2019

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

That I know, but how did I get here from there.

I don’t know but I don’t see any Federation President taking a vow of celibacy. It would be such a waste.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Two and a half pages of makeup critique from 50 years of Star Trek shows.

And its are points are dead on.
:allears:

For such a middling show, ENT had the best alien makeup (aside from T’Pol’s terrible wig in the first two seasons).
The budget was spent to get the Andorrans and Tellarites right. STD’s Andorian is very good but the Tellarite looks like a grungy dwarf.

From TNG onward they gave Romulans frontal ridges to make them differentiated from Vulcans and more aggressive. Its bit much.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Yeah, but nobody with a brain bought it as a sincere critique, while in this movie it seems like we're expected to.

There was a whole swath of media trying to meet the Soviet Union half way. In the face of nuclear annihilation, it’s understandable, but when term “evil empire” was uttered, there was a whole tizzy about how that was an hawkish and provocative label.

It’s a very accurate description of the Iron Curtain.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I choose to believe they were the Kings of London Ontario.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MikeJF posted:

And now Discovery continuing it in this day and age is downright regressive.

Discovery’s issue, aside from the actual writing, is that if you’re going to go back and mine the past go all the way. Otherwise, move into the future and do something new. This was Enterprise’s main handicap as well. When it filled in the backstory of the Federation it was at its strongest. The Temporal Cold War sapped energy from a show with a decent premise.

skasion posted:

Tbh, i don’t think you need narcissism as an excuse to want to seduce Kira, for she is bangin’. I do feel that someone could actually write a fairly interesting episode about meeting your own clone and neither one of us being virgins, but they certainly didn’t do it.

Dr. Who did this with the Master.

Mirror Kira trying to sleep another version of herself was the best part of the episode. You don’t need narcissism as a reason but in this case it was the only reason.

Also, Odo blowed up real good and Prime Kira not knowing or caring who Kirk was. As alt-Trek, DS9 made point after over used point to not only stop bowing to previous Trek but tear it down a bit. Very 90’s

Bi-Garak, is probably the closest we’ll see of Andrew Robinson’s original version of Garak. You can kind of see it when he starts engaging Bashir in early DS9. The producers really toned it down
and discarded it. It was a bit much in the age of “don’t ask, don’t tell”.

We did get the first lesbian kiss on broadcast tv. Not exactly a Nichols/Shatner moment but it did get a blurb in Entertainment Weekly.

Mirror Universe sexuality is lascivious, hedonistic. In Utopia Federation you can be any persuasion you want as long as it’s in a caring monogamous relationship.

Except if your Riker.

Or Kirk.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 3, 2019

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Huh. I had heard season 2 and the introduction of people like Frakes as director had improved the show.

One step forward, three steps back, then go down a path that has nothing to do with the previous steps. The Talos IV episode was my favorite episode this season which surprises me. It’s the truest to the canon and spirit of Star Trek than what’s been shown so far. Then the following weeks sucked. There is some level of continuity though. Lot of grief on how violently Spock escaped the looney bin, but he was framed. Kurtzman won’t divulge if this universe is an alternate time line but the inconsistencies are either incompetence or a fakeout.

The only thing this season of STD has solidly done is proved they should’ve done a Pike series with Anson Mount instead. His acting elevates even the worst scripts.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

It feels odd that Zek would order Quark to save Ishka and not the legitimate military they haven’t acknowledged since TNG ended.

That poo poo costs money.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

why the hell is starfleet intelligence sending the chief engineer of the most strategically important alpha quadrant station who's solely responsible for keeping said crucial position running on a deep undercover mission?

He volunteered.

Anything to get away from Keiko.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Veotax posted:

Lol, not surprised that's how they would be solving Discovery's continuity issues.

The ship is sent almost a thousand years into the future and everyone in the present is sworn to secracy to never mention the events of the show, the characters, the Spore Drive or the Discovery itself.

Guess season three is going to be set in the far future.

So..., Star Trek: Andromeda , then?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_(TV_series)

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Siddig's ambition was to become a director before he fell into acting.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Pick posted:

Season 1 is fun as hell!!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is DS9; you can't get comfortable because Quark won't splurge for the plushy bar stools

Not true. Those come with an VIP premium.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

T.C. posted:

Basically everything now is about how federation ideals American Capitalism doesn't work, or how this event is the exception, how we have to compromise so we can save the greater idealistic federation, or how hard it is to make the tough choices.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sela (Crosby) was the leader of the Romulans in Star Trek Online.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Phlox is a laid back alien along for the ride. He’s a more accepting, less judgmental counter to T’Pol’s Vulcan criticisms. T’Pol calls the humans on their failings and prejudices early and often. Phlox gently suggests that universe is a bigger place and doesn’t fit the human narratives.

That doesn’t mean he’s a push over. He’ll stand up to Archer when ethics demands. He’s also a practitioner of alternative medicines. He doesn’t have access to the miracle cures Bones and Crusher have.

The only things I’ve seen Billingsly in are Enterprise, Six Feet Under, and a corporate customer service training video. That’s a shame.

*Dr. Phlox is an anti-vaxxer.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, their culture is pretty sexually open. They come from a long history of swinging.

This was a nod to Gene.

Gorelab posted:

Makes sense when your marriages are each person has 3 spouses independently of one another that you'd be pretty open about that poo poo.

Who would make a better living , a Denebian divorce lawyer or an Andorian divorce lawyer?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Sash! posted:

I've thought that would have been cool too. Probably too expensive for a TV show though.

Set designing? Not really.
It would’ve been fun tit for tat redecorations when the station keeps changing between Federation and Cardassian hands.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Billingsly played one on The Orville (S02E03). He was great in a great episode; and was only one of three Trek alumni in the episode.

I’ve been neglecting Orville for too long.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Irish Yokels. Where did you think US Yokels came from?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MillennialVulcan posted:

In college when I was having trouble sleeping, I'd put on the menu screen of the ds9 DVDs and listen to the Ops noise loop

https://youtu.be/nQWW6ikPUq0

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Also: Cumberbatch should’ve been John Harrison. Khan should’ve been one of the frozen people. gently caress twists.

Cumberbatch should’ve been Harry Mudd. Khan was a wanker move. A Mudd story could’ve had a lot of room to move in new directions.

Mudd + Green Orion Women terrorists.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Star Trek: Picard Maneuvers

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Farrier Theaks posted:

(Star Trek helped break this mold; TNG was the first show I remember to have an inter-seasonal cliffhanger, and DS9 must have been one of the first to have season-long and even series-long arcs.)

Dallas and Dynasty had season cliffhangers long before. It took years for Sam Malone to get his bar back.

“Who shot J.R.?”

Why is Bobby, who died last season, in my shower?

Terrorists just mowed down the Carrington wedding. Who made it out alive?

“Sammy got the bar back!”

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

:thurman:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Proof the 24th century still uses money. This is a government contract where everyone gets a taste.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

and because JJ Chekov is dead :(

Nah, they should do the 3 armed red guy from TAS.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Zurui posted:

This. Lloyd's performance (as prototypical as it is) is responsible for so much of what we know as Klingons in future installments. I don't think it gets discussed enough that he's a sort of anti-Khan: not a genius, but a fierce enough warrior that Kirk has to sacrifice one of the things he loves most to survive (and this is after losing his son he just recently found again). That's the wonderful counterpoint that makes Search for Spock such a great sequel.

Watch Crazy Jim from Taxi and then watch Star Trek III. You can’t unsee it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm not looking forward to a Tarantino Star Trek. The fact he says it's going to be R-rated proves he doesn't really get it, he just thinks it's cool or like the fights or is afraid of trying outside his wheelhouse. It'll be like the Beyond Beastie Boys song (which was cool) played constantly times a thousand. It'll be like TMNT calling each other cocksuckers, or Man-at-Arms getting his face brutally caved in. Star Trek shouldn't have cunts and N-words thrown around

Counter point: Samuel L. Jackson as a Starfleet admiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Well since Serek and Picard melded, mine is Jean Luc's son in the nexus who got the Aliens Space Marine Evac Shuttle for Christmas

Picard is so cheap he gives his kids the reject liquor. That’s a good business man.

e: On second look, it looks like some kind of fighter. Giving your kids booze is a better Xmas gift.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 25, 2019