Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Goldsmith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So, uh, someone buy this for me.

I ended up getting the 1/350 Enterprise refit model from Amazon because it was on sale. Now I think I'm going nuts because I'm planning on getting a pearlescent white gloss paint as the base for the aztec decals and aaaaagh.

The model is pretty drat big too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This is coming from the series that brought us "A black hole just opened up in orbit around the earth, but everything is fine since we used momentum to escape from it."

I don't remember a black hole opening near the Earth in any Star Tracks.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

howe_sam posted:

The red matter detonation in Trek 09 happens some indeterminate distance from, but presumably close to, Earth since they were just fighting Nero there.

Yeah, but they'd since gone to warp. I figured they were in deep space for that.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Gonz posted:

The new show starts in 5 months, and Fuller & Co. haven't mentioned the new cast, or definitively when the show is set.

What the hell kind of production is this?

A secret one, apparently.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of clothing, the costumes in trek are often pretty bad. Gene had some wierd ideas that pockets were somehow something that would be totally obsolete in his advanced utopia. Pockets are for THINGS and we've evolved past the need for things. Certainly no one has any need to carry around tools or bits of technology with them.

I think the first pocket on a federation uniform we saw were the cadet cargo pants in ds9?

Didn't Kirk pull a handkerchief from a trouser pocket during his inspection of engineering during Star Trek II?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

remusclaw posted:

They should set in on an Excelsior, but post DS9.

At first I thought this might be a cool idea, but then I realized that they'd probably play it up as a crew having to figure out workarounds because they don't have the most up-to-date ship.

And then it would just be "technobabble coming out of their asses to solve mundane problems" every episode.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Also don't forget that the shuttle visited Mir 11 times, all of them while DS9 was in production.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

cheetah7071 posted:

Weren't cloaking devices presented as a new technology in TOS?

Brand-spankin'-new, yeah.

TOS introduced the notion that being visually invisible was new, but they could still be picked up on motion tracking.

Then they introduced the cloaking device proper, which made them invisible to sensors.

Enterprise shat all over that by having the Romulans be able to cloak poo poo anyway.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So, DS9 rewatch.

Someone launch Melora out an airlock.

Make sure you put a note in her personnel file saying she's insubordinate too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Apollodorus posted:

Intelligence reports Romulans now using Klingon design.

Which, in turn, was because nobody could find the Romulan ship model from Balance of Terror.

So much of Star Trek is the result of accidents and screw-ups.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

After The War posted:

Copied from Memory Alpha, because I love the hell out of Fizzbin scenes.

:riker: "Okay, Morta. The Enterprise computer system is controlled by three primary main processor cores, cross-linked with redundant melacortz-ramistat 14-kiloquad interface modules. The core element is based on an FTL nanoprocessor with 25 bilateral kelilactirals. With twenty of those being slaved into the primary Heisenfram terminals. Now, you know what a bilateral kelilactiral is?"

:mad: "Of course I do, Human. I am not stupid!"

:riker: "No. Of course not. This is the isopalavial interface which controls the main firomantal drive unit. Don't touch that - you'll blow up the entire firomantal drive."

:sweatdrop: "Alright, wa..wa..Wait! Wha..what is a, a ferromactal drive? Just explain it to me!"

:riker: "That is the firomantal drive unit, it controls the ramistat core and keeps the ontarian manifold at 40,000 KRGs. The firomantal drive is powered by..."

A lot of that technology was first developed when Riker was serving aboard the Lollipop.

It was a good ship.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
My birthday was on Thursday, but that meant I left Section 31 for good.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fister Roboto posted:

I just noticed that Gowron has a clit on his forehead.

Why do you think his eyes are always bulging?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

One friend of mine says DS9 is better, but he'd rather watch Voyager. Which is very strange.

The Seventh Seal is a better movie than Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but usually I'd rather watch Bill and Ted.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Rhyno posted:

Look at this bullshit opinion right here.

The makers of Bill and Ted recognize the superiority of the Seventh Seal! Just look at Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
"Fuckin' Garth of Izar. Dude's been a staff puke the last 15 years and they're saying he's some brilliant tactician at some backwater skirmish. Look at the loving records, man. He's the loving logistics officer of Starbase 8 and they're writing him up for a decoration because he managed to find Admiral Whatshisnuts a supply of Andorian moonshine.

That's how it is in this loving fleet. You have your nose firmly up the brass' rear end and they shower you with medals. We fuckin' fought off the loving Orion vanguard and not a fuckin' peep."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's a Star Trek \ TV budget thing in general. The Enterprise-D is huge and has tons of rooms never shown onscreen, but in the show, we mostly just see a bunch of beige hallways and never really get that sense. Like, there's a huge shuttlebay we never see, plus a room where they literally keep whales and dolphins.

Star Trek: TMP is one of the few times where we get a good sense of scale, because the movie did actually have a pretty big budget.

I was thinking about the scale of a Galaxy class the other day and wondered if, like during the Dominion War for example, they stripped a Galaxy class of all excess personnel (families, science crews, maybe beef up engineering and security a bit, I think you'd end up with a crew of like 500), consolidated them in quarters on the interior sections of the saucer, and then locked off the vacant areas and shut off power to them.

No life support, no gravity, no replicators, no lighting, no automated cleaning robots (or whatever), in a considerable portion of a Galaxy class starship. Reroute that power to shields or weapons or both.

Would that make an appreciable difference?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I could have sworn there was an ambassador whose name started with M. M'rel or something like that?

There was an Andorian ambassador M'Giia in Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Railing Kill posted:

Now all I can tihnk of is that scene from Chasing Amy.

"What's a Nubian?"
"Shut the gently caress up!"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Data Graham posted:

I agree, but the author kind of overreaches right at the end:

Yeah no, sorry man, that theme was Rosenman recycling his failed and overblown score for the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings movie several years earlier. It was a poor fit for LotR and not much better for Star Trek. And there's certainly nothing thematic to be read in its "exuberance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DvOMdQFBE

I want to say he tried recycling it a third time, but I can't remember for what movie. I could be wrong.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

YESS that was it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FilthyImp posted:

When was it we locked all the Californians up in concentration camps again?

Not soon enough

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Doing another DS9 run.

Eat poo poo and die, Red Squad.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Xand_Man posted:

IIRC it made her feel like she was doing something useful when the Dominion War was starting to heat up.

The school went under when the Dominion War was starting to heat up because families started leaving the station, so Miles kicked her off the station got her a place as a botanist on an expedition to Bajor for awhile.

Then she sorta stopped showing up in episodes unless it was an O'Brien Must Suffer episode.

Edit: Speaking of O'Brien Must Suffer, I just started Time's Orphan, where the O'Briens' eight year old daughter falls into a time portal and comes back at the age of 18.

I'm paraphrasing what was said:

O'Brien: What if I try again, bring her back from an earlier time?

Bashir: Then there will be no one to grow up into this young woman.

Keiko: We'll be taking those ten years away from her, we can't do that!

Get hosed, Keiko. You just said that you want your daughter to keep the ten years she spent living on a planet by herself. I know there's no episode if you say "yes, I want to save her from growing up alone on an alien planet," but Christ. You're terrible.

McNally fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 4, 2016

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Hell, remember, when TOS first aired it was considered a failure, and didn't pick up until after it was syndicated for a while. They still kept the negatives and other original materials for that show.

Only 'cause Roddenberry walked off with all of it. If eBay had existed in the late 60s/early 70s, Star Trek would belong to some collector now.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That doesn't make sense. We know he grabbed film clips and sold cels and clips (and other trinkets) through Lincoln Enterprises; if he had taken the whole episode negatives and been willing to sell them, how would the lack of eBay have prevented him from doing so?

I have a hard time believing Paramount would have accepted him walking off with everything. They still wanted to sell the series in syndication, even if they didn't have high hopes for it early on.

Hyperbole.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The_Doctor posted:

Apologies for tumblr content, but I thought this was hilarious.

http://images.cybersomnia.com/tumblr_startrekheadcannon.png

Look, Starfleet isn't just banging rocks together. They know how to build a quantum space hole.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Could also be for exterior access. Put on an environmental suit, decompress the room, step outside for a bit to work on something.

Didn't the room lack doors, though? It looked like it was a room accessible only via jefferies tubes, with a control panel that opened the wall in front of it into space.

It's as though one of the designers designed, like, a back door for himself or something

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Angry Salami posted:

I thought it was kinda weird how you have "It's Only a Paper Moon", with it's theme of 'Don't hide away in Vic's fantasy world, you have to face reality', then just a few episodes later you have "Badda-Bing Badda-Bang", which was basically 'Everyone, drop everything! We need to hang out in Vic's fantasy world!'

Isn't it a matter of context? "Don't hide away in Vic's fantasy world FOREVER, you have to face reality" vs "the hideaway we go to so we can unwind from the grim reality we face needs some attention" was how I saw them.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Encounter at Powerpoint

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The Frenemy Within

Butterknife of the Mind

This Side of A Reasonably Priced Resort

I, Dirtt

Journey to Cleveland

The Moderately Uncomfortable Years

The Alpha Glory

A 486

Crackers and a Puppet Show

Spock's Appendix

Is There No Truth In Meh, I'd Hit It?

Let That Be Your Last Soccerfield

One of Our Yesterdays

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Star Trek V: The Final Front Yard

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered County

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Star Trek III: The GPS Directions to Spock's House

Star Trek IV: We Need to Go Back, I Forgot My Wallet

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Star Trek: Millennials

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Woah woah woah. Star Trek from TNG onwards had some of the highest budgets on TV

But it wasn't UNLIMITED, therefore...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Timby posted:

Let's wait and see if CBS All Access is even around when Discovery airs.

FTFY

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

cenotaph posted:

I really wish they would let Vulcan and Romulan women have long hair again. T'Pol looked so much better with the long hair in the mirror episode. And I don't mean more attractive, I mean not dopey.

NO EVERYBODY MUST HAVE A SPOCK HAIRCUT SO WE KNOW THEY ARE VULCAN

(some producer, probably)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I recently watched Balance of Terror and would like to make a couple spergy points:

Spock says that they didn't have ship to ship visual communication, not that they didn't have view screens. That doesn't even necessarily mean that Starfleet didn't have the ability to video chat with each other, it just means they never talked face to face with a Romulan.

The "simple impulse" thing can suggest that all the output of their warp core was being used to maintain the invisibility screen, considering the Romulan ship was invisible almost the entire episode (particularly when the Enterprise was chasing it) and one of the Romulans telling Commander Sarek that the invisibility screen "uses too much fuel."

I mean, really, people are taking these remarks to amazing lengths in saying "nobody should have view screens in Enterprise!" or "the Romulans didn't have warp engines!"

You're telling me the Romulans sent their ship to attack Earth outposts like 50 years ago or whatever, only now got there, and are heading back to Romulus, ETA 50 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sure the Federation keeps records about that sort of thing and has some kind of 2 factor authorization to keep something stupid from happening like a clone impersonating his double and stealing a starship.

I mean with android officers that's a necessity could you imagine the havoc an evil model of even a midlevel position like operations officer on the flagship could cause?

Mid-level? Data was third in command.

Edit: ... and yet outranked by Crusher and Troi.

Starfleet's command structure makes no loving sense.