Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've never watched Star Trek, and I'm watching TNG for the first time. I'd tried to get into it in the past, but lost interest. I'm now following a watchlist to skip the chaff, and I'm in love.

This show is so loving refreshing, because it is nothing like today's TV. It is way too wholesome. There are no conflicts among the crew. All the crew are good people trying to do the right thing. Approximately half the show's runtime is made up of the crew sitting around the same two sets calmly and rationally discussing their latest dilemma and hashing out a sensible and mutually agreeable course of action.

Nobody has a nefarious agenda. Nobody is morally compromised. Nobody is addicted to space-pills. People aren't constantly sweaty and dirty. Half the time the bad guy of the week isn't even bad, but rather someone with a different set of priorities and viewpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

S03E12 - The High Ground. I really enjoyed this one, particularly because somehow I don't think a primetime network TV show would have an episode explore the morality of terrorism from the viewpoint of the terrorist in the 21st century.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

S03E17 - Sins of the Father. God drat this klingon's leather getup is squeaky.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

S04E15 First Contact - Riker, I don't think that's compliant with the Prime Directive.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

TNG S04E20 - I groaned when I realized this would be another paper-thin-excuse-to-put-the-crew-in-period-costume episode, but it turned out pretty entertaining.

Worf's dumb I AM NOT A MERRY MAN! :reject: pun made me laugh more then it probably deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm sure the answer is "yes, in way too much detail", but is wider Klingon society ever elaborated on? Because it can't all be shouty autistic dudes with anger issues. Someone has to take out the trash, figure out the science behind giant FTL starships, and operate transporters. None of that is particularly compatible with being a space-samurai on a self-destructive quest of personal glory. A society based mostly on yelling, recreational fistfights and fights to the death with silly knives wouldn't have formed agrarian societies, let alone left their homeworld.

Maybe all the Klingons we see are some kind of warrior-caste upper class? Worf seems to be generally ok, but even he seems to be shaking with barely restrained fury and confusion most of the time.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 21, 2018