Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Grand Fromage posted:

Profit and Lace is the only bad DS9 Ferengi episode.

Edit: Vorta Iggy Pop

Also, be careful not to confuse Profit and Lace, which is terrible, with Profit and Loss, which is a send-up of Casablanca starring Quark and Garak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Just got back from Beyond.

Loved it, top to bottom. And I hate Into Darkness.

Every character has something to do. Everyone plays their characters really well. The music takes a ton of cues from 60's Trek. They paid tribute to Nimoy, Anton, and the original crew many times.

The opening scene is one of my favorite bits. "I tore my shirt again. : /" killed me.

I thought Idris Elba was wasted under the makeup at the start of the movie, but that worked itself out towards the end and I think he was great.

The Yorktown is amazing, one of the most creative Trek sets in generations.

It's still the very actiony New Trek, but I think the plot is great and its overall well-written.

The climax was the stupidest, loudest, most audacious, amazing perfect thing.

Put Jaylah in a Starfleet uniform and never take her away from me, she's basically Trek's Drax the Destroyer and I am cool with that.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The Great White Fleet was LIKE an Ambassador.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Also loved that the Yorktown crew wasn't baffled by the Frederick's last ditch plan and all "DUH WHAT ARE THEY DOING?" but immediately picked up on it and were like "YO BLAST THOSE SICK TUNES TOO"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
As much as I loved Beyond, the shaky cam during fight sequences was awful

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
God that movie loving ruled.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"I'd give real money if he'd shut up."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Rhyno posted:

Well thank god that's over. Without a doubt the worst episode of the series thus far.

It's actually very good and everything that should happen does. Starfleet's Junior Fascists took over a spaceship and did exactly as well as you'd expect.

(At the risk of sounding too sarcastic, I really do think this is an episode that's better on reflection, I hate it the first time too)

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 1, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Astroman posted:

I hear he's won 37 individual awards!

In a row?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
badopinionzone.jpg

The Thaw is a straight-up TOS homage and it rules.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If you absolutely 1000% must abridge it.

Season 1
Encounter at Farpoint
Hide and Q
Datalore
Coming of Age
Heart of Glory
The Arsenal of Freedom
Skin of Evil
Conspiracy
The Neutral Zone

Season 2
Where Silence Has Lease
Elementary My Dear Data
Loud as a Whisper
A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
Contagion
Pen Pals (if only for the hosed up discussion of The Prime Directive)
Q Who
The Emissary
Peak Performance

Season 3
Start watching everything you butthole. EXPERIENCE BIJ.

Don't abridge it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Rhyno posted:

I thought it was really strange that there were still Excellsior class vessels in use in the DS9 era.

A trait of Starfleet ships prior to the TNG era seems to have been that they were very modular and easy to retrofit, making them extremely durable and long lived.

Probably more than a few boats of Theseus in that bunch.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like Andy Probert's original Ambassador concept better than the final product:
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=28446

Gosh golly, I REALLY like that Ambassador design. Does a fine job of bridging the gap between Excelsior and Galaxy classes.

Star Trek Online lets you build ships in modular designs, so like the Miranda/Centaur/Soyuz(?) types would be jammed into one Type of ship and you could have the hull, sensor pod, and warp engines be from any of those 3. I have a weird appreciation for Star Trek Online even though I do'nt play anymore and the ground combat was disappointing.

Space combat needed to be full 3D too, that was a whole plot point in WoK for pete's sake.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Okay I played STO at launch and I have 0 memory of any of those ugly rear end ships y'all say were. Most were just redesigns of existing classes, except for the admiral level ships which got a bit goofy. But nothing as bad as those pictures

I'm sure they EXIST I'm just also pretty sure they weren't launch designs.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 13, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm not sure how active she is on Twitter but Kate Mulgrew is a National Treasure and if you ever get the opportunity to listen to her at a con or panel you should take it

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

MikeJF posted:

He was wearing his old uniform, they changed to First Contact greys a few episodes before.

The only reason they had Bashir in the old uniform was to differentiate him from the Changeling Bashir in the same episode. You shouldn't read more into it than that. It straight up doesn't make sense if he had been captured since before the First Contact uniforms. You'd have to accept that Changeling Bashir performed brain surgery on Sisko or that it willingly let the baby changeling die. This would be a strange action from the same race that surrendered an entire war just to get Odo to come home

If you HAVE to justify it, then he wore his old uni to the conference for comfort, I don't know.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 16, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The ratio of the time Vic spends singing in DS9 to the time spent complaining about Vic singing in DS9 should shame you all.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Hot Take: The Deep Space Niners vs the T'Kumbra Logicians is Ben Sisko's Kobayashi Maru

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
2nd Hot Take

The Do-Re-Mi improv from the genetically enhanced idiots in Chrysalis is way more aggravating than anything Vic Fontaine has done.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Holy smokes, look at this thing I stumbled upon.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/A_Gutted_World

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The Breen are all secretly hot babes, fuckin' called it. My oddly specific fetish is validated.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

GreenNight posted:

The majority of the Peter David books are decent to good.

The first 4 books of New Frontier are such an absurd mix of Deep Space Nine and TOS styles that I have to appreciate them.

Captain M'k'n'zy of Calhoun has purple eyes, a scar on his face, and is a swordsman.

The security officer is a rock man.

The navigator frequently falls asleep at the wheel and might be part Q or Trelane or something?

A major planet turns out to be a literal egg for The Great Bird of the Galaxy and hatches.

Just mindbogglingly silly poo poo.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The DS9 "Season 8" books are good* clear up until Unity iirc, fun little series.

My favorite Trek book is Deep Space Nine: Valhalla and I super recommend anyone check it out.

*good compared to other Trek novels

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

The_Doctor posted:

A story about the Maquis stealing a Defiant variant from wherever it is they mothball prototype starships would have been interesting.

Is... is this a put on?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Rhyno posted:

Harry got sucked out a hull breach but then I remembered there's a backup copy.

Blown out.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Thwomp posted:

Back on topic: remember that one Voyager episode where the whole ship and crew were goop clones that had actually advanced beyond the original ship and crew? Remember how the episode ended with the original crew finding a glob of muck in space and literally going :shrug: What the gently caress, Voyager!?!

That episode is so awesome, I love those weird instances when Voyager goes completely nihilistic.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.google.com/search?q=fat+baseball+players&tbm=isch

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If you can't get a concussion in the course of expected play, it's not a sport.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bedshaped posted:

I'm watching all of DS9 for the first time and that season 5 finale.... holy poo poo I've got tingles.

Now wait 3 months and watch the first episode of season 6.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Acer Pilot posted:

i think i've seen a list like this before but one of my friends wants to watch ds9 for the first time but he's hesitant to watch the whole series "because it's long."

any episode from season 1 he should definitely watch?

i'm thinking "duet" for sure. maybe "emissary" to get the bare minimum backstory and "in the hands of the prophets" because winn rules. i'd prefer he watch the whole thing but he's more of a sperg than i am.

Captive Pursuit, Battle Lines, Progress, The Forsaken

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Baronjutter posted:

But DS9 is way better than TNG. We tried to watch everything in broadcast order so we started DS9 when it first aired. It was almost impossible to go back to TNG afterwards, the show I so loved suddenly seemed flat and boring and badly written. To be fair it was TNG season 7, but still, ds9 is just so much richer, meatier. TNG is a white bread cheese sandwich with the crust cut off, DS9 is a big old spicy hot pot. Sure the white bread sandwich is nice now and again, and you sure loved it as a kid, but after eating some grown-up food it's hard to go back.

Even if you can't finish TNG S7, go back and watch All Good Things at least, assuming you haven't.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Marshal Radisic posted:

Oh wow...Strange Horizons just published the only review of Star Trek Beyond that anyone needs to read. It's a bit of a gag, sure, but it's one of the few things I've read that articulates why none of these reboot movies have ever worked for me.

:jerkbag:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Cojawfee posted:

I decided to go through all the movies

TMP: Lame Plot
TWOK: Overacted garbage
TSS: Lame Plot
TVH: Lame Plot
TFF: Overacted garbage and lame plot
TUC: Overacted garbage
Generations: Lame plot
FC: Overacted Garbage
Insurrection: Lame Plot
Nemesis: Overgarbage actplot
ST09: Lame plot
STID: Lame Garbage and overacted plot
STB: A good movie

I did the same thing.

TMP: Not Star Wars
TWOK: Not Star Wars
TSS: Not Star Wars
TVH: Not Star Wars
TFF: Not Star Wars
TUC: Not Star Wars
Generations: Not Star Wars
FC: Not Star Wars
Insurrection: Not Star Wars
Nemesis: Not Star Wars
ST09: Not Star Wars
STID: Not Star Wars
STB: Star Wars

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'll forgive even Let He Who Is Without Sin because it gave us this scene with Michael Dorn's perfect delivery and Terry Farrell's complete failure to keep a straight face at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_t1Nx1pG-4

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The Original Series
Balance of Terror, The Galileo Seven, Arena, The Devil in the Dark, The Doomsday Machine

The Next Generation
Devil's Due, Clues, Darmok, Disaster, Cause and Effect

Deep Space Nine
Emissary, The Forsaken, Profit and Loss, Civil Defense, Starship Down

Voyager
The Thaw, Worst Case Scenario, Year of Hell, Bride of Chaotica!, Blink of an Eye

Can't help with Enterprise.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kazinsal posted:

I'm not seeing any City on the Edge of Forever in these TOS lists... :colbert:

Voyager's best episodes are the ones that generally don't have anything to do with Voyager, or involve everything going to hell and then the reset button being hit. Or Warlord Janeway.

Can't speak for anyone else but I tried to aim for full ensemble episodes featuring the ships/station and COTEOF is mostly Kirk and Spock by themselves not on the Enterprise. Profit and Loss on DS9 admittedly doesn't fit my formula but you should probably showcase a good episode that's carried by the secondary cast since that's kinda DS9's thing.

Edit: it was actually moderately difficult to find full ensemble ds9 episodes that AREN'T arc episodes as well. They utilize the hell out of that huge cast. Many of the best ds9 episodes are razor sharp focused on only one or two people for the A-plot.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 7, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I was just talking to a friend about this. The Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast two-parter in season 3 is almost entirely carried by Odo, Garak, and a completely new character in Tain. That's crazy yo.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
There are a lot of television series that can be improved by swapping their music with Curb Your Enthusiasm's wholesale and the Treks are no exception.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Odo is spec'd completely for melee, ranged weapons would be an inefficient waste, all his other skill points and perks are focused on detective and security training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Good place to start.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/kitbash.htm

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ds9tm.htm