Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

theperminator posted:

It would have to be designed to generate lift at all for that to make sense, which it wasn't.

One could make the argument that it was a utilization of potential energy, and not "lift" as in using atmospheric density to create a wave of pressure. I mean, if someone was looking for excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

armoredgorilla posted:

A producer or writer said Bay 2 was actually a maintenance bay FOR shuttles and not an arrival-departure bay but really they just hosed up because they're stupid.

#408 Some kind of secondary shuttlebay

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I still like DS9 but my god did I hate the wormhole aliens.

They opened season 6 with a deus ex machina and it just sucked the tension right out of the rest of the war.

It wasn't really a deus ex machina because the wormhole aliens had been an important part of the series since the very beginning. It wasn't as if they were just pulled out of the writer's rear end 6 seasons in.

As for how it affected the tension, that's another matter. It did feel a bit cheap.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CPColin posted:

Kirk, after saving the whales. Of course, that was a "demotion." Also Ensign Ro, off-screen.

Kirk, the whales saved. Starfleet, its arms wide.

Ro, when the walls fell.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The song they used as the credits theme was originally developed to be the Enterprise opening theme, and it's fine. No need to go crazy on a re-release or anything, just sub in that music for the opening. Boom. Problem solved.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I didn't watch Voyager when it was airing (I think I bailed really early) but I caught up with some of what were considered the 'best' episodes later. Was "Equinox" the Voyager episode where they run into the rogue Star Trek ship doing everything wrong, and Janeway beats them because ugh Voyager is trash?

I seem to remember not being alone in thinking "I'd rather see a show about that Equinox ship, a Federation ship that gets in a bad place and has a morally grey outlook as they have to start dealing with reality." I think Star Trek Discovery may be that show.

I also seem to remember some people saying they wanted a Section 31 show. Well...

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The delta quadrant was a hosed up place, a devestated post-borg apocalypse. You do what you have to do to survive. Voyager only made it out because of Chakotay's native magic tattoo gods who protected the ship from the quadrant and Janeway herself.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Moriatti posted:

TOS is very good, is what I'm saying.

You're cherrypicking what many people say is one of the best episodes of any Trek series as a typical episode of TOS. I don't dislike TOS like I dislike Voyager, but it fails a lot more than it impresses, to me.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought Sloan had a good point when it was introduced. Everybody else has something like 31 and the Federation would be stupid not to. I viewed it like the political version of Starfleet ships being armed to the teeth. We don't want to use this and we don't feel good about it, but there's a bunch of people in the galaxy who don't agree with our values and sometimes you're forced to defend yourself.

That's more or less the same rationale Lorka gave to Brunham at the end of the last episode. That sometimes the right thing to do is the wrong thing to do.

So far, based on the ominous overtones and dark and foreboding environment that has been presented, I don't think the show agrees. It's still Star Trek, it's just telling a story about what happens when the ideals get perverted and Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges and all that jazz. If it ends up making Lorka and Burnham into Kiefer Sutherland/24 style heroes who are celebrated for doing horrible things then my opinion will sour, but I just don't see that here.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's a well produced star trek show that is too young and new to have either a great episode or a truly terrible one. It's fine. If you're not so far up your own rear end that you can't accept anything different, and you're a fan of star trek, you'll probably enjoy it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Star Trek? Nudity? Does not compute.

Yeah, Star Trek never, ever had a thing for boobs, especially of the Klingon variety...

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, sounds like it's chasing that "Darker! More violent! More sexy!" chicken, which I have zero interest in.

Yeah, Star Trek never featured sex, not ever...

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 13, 2017

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Come on though, you seriously can't pretend that wasn't the epitome of "look how adult and extreme we are"

I'm not saying it was the classiest thing in the world, but it came across to me as a lot more artfully done then some of the more crass examples of Star Trek in the past. Enterprise was especially egregious in this regard.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Enterprise wasn't trying to pretend it was prestige TV for discerning adults

It's just so clearly "Award winning prestige shows do this, therefore we have to. We're game of thrones in space!"

Well...yeah. One of the better parts of Discovery, for me, is that it embraces what makes prestige TV work, which is high production values, better directing and cinematography, and presenting more provocative themes. It's trying to not be TV wallpaper. It's struggling a bit out of the gate, but it's finding itself.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cythereal posted:

There's nothing "prestige" about using sex and violence to get viewers, video games have been using them since time immemorial.

All dramatic TV shows - all versions of Star Trek included - have used sex and violence to get viewers. This is a red herring. The scene in question was not "using sex and violence to get viewers." Hell, it was the ninth episode, if you're not already a viewer at that point...

The point of the scene was to reinforce the PTSD and deepen the 'mystery' (it's not a mystery, much to their chagrin) of Ash Tyler's circumstances. It showed flashes of Klingon rape because it makes the assumption that you are an adult and you can deal with what is now standard storytelling. It was not very effective, and yes, it was perhaps a little gratuitous, but it did not feel like they were going for 'come gently caress me, I'm a sexy Klingon' *at all*. It was just kind of there.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

I finished watching DS9 in sequence for the first time last night. What a good show! Just wish Jake existed in S7 and was given more resolution.

What the heck do I watch now? Not really interested in VOY.

Farscape.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

So, uh, there's this:

https://twitter.com/blackmirror/status/938053682712727552

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I just thought it was weird how they're standing so close to her

Well, it was made with the average cost of a typical soap opera of the time and they were forced to deal with smaller sets for one-offs because that would be cheaper.That said, it's still a weird shot because there are ways you could hide that and not make it feel so claustrophobic.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm retroactively saying it also works because both the men have wanted to gently caress her

As crusher watches. But it was all in her mind so I assume it's some sort of fantasy Troi has.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

T.C. posted:

...?

The Next Generation was a pretty expensive show for the time. This isn't even close to true...

They were running Ds9, starting to build Voyager, and preparing sets for a movie around that time. There was a money\time\talent crunch in the seventh season, particularly the latter half, and it shows.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I mean, they’re jetting around the galaxy at speeds much faster than c, violating causality every mission. I’m ok with nonsense non-science for the sake of entertainment. I’m not watching for educational reasons.

But yeah, “devolving” isn’t even a thing. Evolution is change over time. Even if we ended up being salamanders in our future, it’s not “de-evolution”. It’s just evolution.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see how it got made - it's a concept episode, and 'Brigadoon in space' is an enduring and enticing concept that the writers room were probably excited about. But they really did not pull it off or justify it at all.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"We're doing about as well as a show that was grossly mismanaged by a pill-popping senile alcoholic!"

You're describing a large percentage of TV.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Windows 98 posted:

How in the hell did a race that expresses solely by citing metaphors manage to get into space?

I'm no linguist, but your inability to imagine communicating in that fashion is not, in itself, a limiting factor to a people actually communicating in that fashion.

Good sci-fi challenges your notions of what's possible, and really good sci-fi gets it right, or close to right. I think Darmok is an example of really good sci-fi. Again, though - not a linguist. I could be completely wrong. But I believe there's enough variance in language not just on Earth, but between our own species that makes me think that it's not a crazy concept at all.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Powered Descent is right, though. Coding is already full of abstractions and metaphors. So is the language we use right now. Maybe - here's an idea, maybe their computer code is exact and non-metaphorical, but they never considered talking to other beings like they did to their computers.

Or maybe they got to space using telepathic energy powers. It's still Star Trek, after all, that poo poo exists.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Delsaber posted:

This one line describes basically all Star Trek threads from 1987 to the end of time.

(Still waiting for that quote to be a thread title.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You do gain mass as you accelerate though, which increases energy costs.

No, you don't. Your mass stays constant. If anything, it decreases as you use fuel. The energy costs increase because your speed relative to some other frame is only increasing by a lorentz factor, not linearly.

The total energy in your system as measured by an outside observer is always increasing, but the concept of 'relativistic mass' is one that's been abandoned, precisely because it causes this sort of confusion.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

What they don’t tell you is that Sisko’s restaurant is one of 12 that remain on Earth. The waiting list to be a waiter for the thrill of the experience is 300 names long.

The only other option is to pretend to be a waiter in a holographic simulation but in the Earth culture of the Federation, that’s considered lame. Being a real waiter is like extreme sports. It’s a total adrenaline rush to have a service job.

You should see the lines for housekeeping positions at the 8 remaining non-automated hotels.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Zurui posted:

You guys know that people go fishing for fun, right?

You're forgetting that they "no longer enslave animals for food." Fishing would be illegal, especially if you do it in whale territory. They send you to Tom Paris prison.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

mycomancy posted:

Fishing isn't enslaving, that's referring to agriculture. Unless the made all the hunter-gatherer tribes on the planet stop hunting.

Potato, Potahto. If you kill so much as an ant on Earth, you're going to get a citation.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think the original idea behind families being on the ship was a Roddenberry thing. I think he felt that the Federation's flagship was an exploratory / diplomatic vessel, and they really didn't expect to fight. The Federation was beyond that sort of thing. And since they would be away from home for long periods of time, out there exploring, it stabilized the crew to have their families aboard.

Of course it turns out that space ships firing weapons at each other is an easy thing to write stories around (especially when you can't have any crew conflict) and they decided that the Enterprise was armed like a god damned warship regardless of its diplomatic mission. (I guess perhaps that was some of the idea - they would be so powerful that they figured anyone they encountered would back down. It'd be like putting families on a Nimitz-class carrier today.)

I imagine once the Romulans and Borg came along they'd decide to rethink their poo poo, but they kept going with the dumb idea. Voyager was smaller, yeah, but it didn't have families on board. I guess until they picked up some dumb kids in the Delta Quadrant but I didn't watch much Voyager so I dunno.

Powered Descent posted:

You'd think that wake-up call would have happened after the Galaxy-class USS Yamato abruptly blew up with all hands because of a bit of computer malware from an archaeological site, but here we are.

Yeah but at that point all the admirals were infested with Conspiracy bugs, and after that they just swept the whole thing under the rug.

Edit: I guess the Yamato actually blew up in season 2. It's all a blur to me.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 20, 2018

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

What I love is that the clock sticks around. For the whole series.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

A volunteer named Loretta Lightningbolt publicly posted on Facebook on May 21 that she and other "former volunteers of the planned Hollywood Sci-Fi Museum and Hollywood Horror Museum" had "discovered through our own research" that Huddleston was not "on a long vacation, as we had been told back in April." Rather, the would-be museum founder had been charged with felonies.

It repeats itself, it's like poetry, it rhymes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Plotac 75 posted:

WARP PARTICLES got me.

I know, right? I think that was the second episode? I was so embarrassed for the show that I stopped being a regular watcher right there. It was such a loving obvious techo-babble bullshit 'pretend science is magic' deus ex machina.

And you want to know the loving worst part?

I know quantum field theory now. And we've heard about warp fields on Star Trek and had no problem with it. Well, a 'particle' is just the quantization of a field. Photons are the quanta of the electromagnetic field. So the loving irony is that it actually makes sense to have some kind of particle associated with a field.

It's still loving bullshit on Voyager though. Because it was just so loving sloppy. And that's Voyager for you. The sloppiest, bullshittiest Star Trek series ever.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cochrans. Cockrings?

I don't remember the scenario but I think another problem was that it was like, it had nothing to do with warp speed anyway? So it doesn't matter if the idea of 'warp particles' can be justified in some hand-wavey way.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

"Here's my pitch: Tits. In. Space."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

"us, the dominant species of our planet".

It's a weird distinction, because you could make a compelling case that the dominant species of our planet is some form of bacteriophage.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

mllaneza posted:

All I want from Tarantino Trek is one, just one, scene like this.

For all of Tarantino's faults, if he does make a Star Trek, I bet you'll get three.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Wasn't the autobot plane guy, jetfire I think, basically a reskinned macross toy? I mean, good on them for saving money on manufacturing and product design, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I guess I'm weird but all the ship designs look fine to me. Like, I do not understand at all why people are grumpy about, for instance, the Enterprise in Discovery. (Though I get that Discovery itself looks a little too flat? I guess? But it's not a big deal.)