Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I don't keep up with production news, so I've just found out Discovery season 3 has been pushed back because of covid. Bummer :(
Talking uniforms, Disco's pants should have had flares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

G-III posted:

When I first saw ST09 I enjoyed it for the same reasons: lots of energy, lots of fun, full of charm but I didn't rewatch until 10 years later in 2019 and... good god, what was I thinking?
I remember what I was thinking - I was expecting it to be boring and bad and that I'd leave the cinema feeling like I'd wasted my money and was wondering how I'd bite my tongue about how boring and terrible it was if my friend really enjoyed it as she was more into Trek than I was.
And then it was exciting and interesting ! I remember a huge surge of hope swelling in me when, near the start, the dude got sucked out into space and his screams were cut off. And that's the same moment my Trekkier friend said she'd also begun to feel it might be a decent movie too.

My theory is that the very low expectations for Star Trek at the time meant it just blew everyone's minds by being fun and watchable.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Re the comics chat, they made Harry Mudd just dreamy

I want to pat that beard like a cat.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

thotsky posted:

I am also trying to get through TOS in fits and starts. I don't think it is all that great.

It's funny, but because the progressiveness of the show has been talked up so much the instances of misogyny, dated stuff and Roddenberry pervyness sticks out even more. It especially sucks whenever Spock breaks character to say something inappropriate to a lady.
It's not really great, which is the problem with Star Trek, people tend to have rose-coloured glasses and talk it up into this amazing thing.
It's an old TV show, with some charming actors. It's much more theatrical that modern TV, and sometimes has some interesting concepts. If you're into the production side at all it's great to watch the props, laugh at the mirrored light shone onto Kirk's face during "intense" shots, and enjoy the switch in and out of soft focus during a conversation between a man and a woman. It's generally a hopeful show too, even if it does clumsily trip over its own feet with the sexism.
There are a handful of actually good episodes, my personal favourite is The City on the Edge of Forever, but they're not all winners, and some are just a white noise plot, some fisticuffs, then flying away.

The misogyny actually lead to a real world conversation - there was some comment Kirk made about one of the women would leave the crew once she got married. It blew my friend's mind when I explained that until fairly recently women in many jobs (including the public service) were required to leave their job once they got married. Acknowledging that misogyny exists in many forms is something that old Star Trek is still achieving.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Arivia posted:

What do you think of Tom Paris and B'Elanna Torres, then?
Tom Paris is perhaps the most unattractive man in Star Trek personality-wise. B'Elanna should have hooked up with the horny vulcan instead.
Their relationship was flat, and often verged on abusive.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I liked thinking of the borg as an infection - nobody 'made' them, (or at least, not intending for them to be what they are) and they don't think so much as try out anything and success is selected for. Building conduits throughout the galaxy is just something that was successful at propagating borgness. (yeah, I know that doesn't mesh with a lot of borg lore).

Now that there's a borg queen essentially at the centre of a hive, I'd love if there were wars between borg similar to ants invading other nests.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Naomi Wildman died.
I wonder if they ever told her that her real mother got murdered/blown up and that she herself was just an alternate version of the real Naomi?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

Didn't that also happen to Harry Kim?
Nobody cares.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Ezri should've been Ezra but they still keep the part where they get back together with worf. In this fanfic I will
Some of the fanfic these days is really good stuff. That particular pairing is a pretty unappealing one apparently though, Archive only has 10 Ezri Dax/Worf fics (for comparison, Odo/Quark has 226).
If you want to do some writing, fanfic isn't a bad place to start. People love expanding on what's on the show in the Trek fandom, and there are some neat ideas people come up with.

Trying to find a pairing the Archive finds less appealing I came across Riker/Worf (27 fics), and this darling sounding fic:
Field of Flowers
"In the evening, Riker helps Worf take care of his hair."

I also came across an "art" tagged fic that was a drawing of Spock in fetish gear, so be careful out there (unless you're into that).

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Phew, is it warm in here? :blush:

It was Disco Spock, but holy lord do people love them some Spirk.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

i had an aunt that would attend sci fi conventions starting in the 60s and 70s and she would tell me about all that stuff going on in the context of 'back then'
I'd be interested in some stories of 60s and 70s sci fi conventions.
I'm guessing it was a lot less fat, sweaty and neck beardy?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Star Trek is ruining Science Fiction by bringing in all these Fake Fans who've probably never even read Heinlein or Asimov!
Heinlein was a sexist pig and, if he were alive, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. Calling women Fake Fans because they haven't read Heinlein is so :perfect: in its stupidity (and sadly too close to real :cry:). Use your powers for good and do one for the people calling the Trek they don't like "not real Star Trek" :dance:
Aggressive gatekeeping is something that really, really drives people away from fandoms and is a big reason some of them end up toxic cesspools of obsessives eating each other.

On holograms being sentient - I never really got the point of the EMH being sentient. What's the allegory or moral here?
Slavery? Slaves don't start out as a batch of non-sentient clones. Or was he meant to be sentient from the start? And the crew should have recognised his 'humanity' from the beginning? Why would manual labour bother a hologram?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

the hologram might not hate manual labor but they would be one of the few people on voyager that didn't sign up for a dangerous space mission or consent to their career path or job.
Yeah, I would be fine with that. But they imagery they went with was "oh no, they're labouring away in a mine". It focuses more on the misery of the physical labour rather than the freedom that's denied them.
To me, that undermines the idea of seeing personhood in something that doesn't immediately remind someone of themselves.

Given that the crew are meant to be the heroes, it also has a bit of an unpleasant message that slave-keepers did nothing wrong because they didn't know that the slaves they kept were really people and/or they needed them to do their jobs.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not really an allegory or moral, it's just sentience popping up out of nowhere and letting story just flow from that. I assume that he wasn't designed to be sentient and just kinda became that way after being turned on too long, which is how it works for droids in Star Wars.
Well that's part of why I didn't 'get' it as an allegory for slavery and the following holographic rights movement. Slaves don't start out as non sentient.
If anything, it's more like a movement for foetal rights. Which I don't think they were going for? Maybe? I don't know what was going on behind the scenes, maybe that was intended.

Usually if there's a rights movement in a story it's meant to have a parallel and send a message to the audience about something in the real world, and the EMH just left me confused. I think Statutory Ape has it right with "star trek voyager had some good ideas and concepts they probably could have executed better".

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

would it be a flaming hot take to suggest TNG is more sexist than TOS?
Not really- anecdotally, it's a pretty common take in my friend circles (mostly women). It's easy to compartmentalise TOS as being a product of its time, but people knew a lot better by the late 80's - 90's than what was reflected in TNG.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

The Prime Directive was a good idea as far as preventing the unintentional repercussions of flying by some culture and trying to solve all their problems without really knowing anything about them. It stops making sense when they get all ultra-Darwinian about it. "This species will die if we don't help them, but that would be polluting their culture, which will totally matter when they're all dead! It's impossible to know what the right choice is!"
I can't remember where I'm getting this from (possibly TNG?), but I think there was some explanation along the lines of: "what if you end up saving someone/civilisation and they end up being space Hitler?"
Which has always felt weak to me. Yeah, you're "responsible" for space Hitler existing, but that doesn't make you responsible for what he does.
There is no way to have clean hands, stop pretending like that's possible because you don't interfere and just make the best decisions you can based on the information that you can have.

A better way to look at the prime directive is that by not interfering in pre-warp civilisations, you're avoiding homogenising the universe and thereby giving the opportunity for better outcomes/new ideas. You might think a civilisation is barbaric and doomed, but you could come back in five centuries and they've culturally and technologically leapfrogged everyone by doing things in a novel way.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

8one6 posted:

Now, I'm of the opinion that if you can intervene to prevent a major disaster (like an asteroid strike) and do it without letting the people you're saving going on to believe that you're gods then it would be unethical not to do it.
Here's a question though: do you make a judgement call on the people first?
If you do then you're preferentially saving the people who are already most like you, so basically space (cultural) eugenics.
If you don't then you're potentially helping space Hitlers survive, and/or preventing another civilisation from rising the way mammals did after the dinosaurs. What do you think that saving space Hitlers would do to the morale of a ship?

Ethics is an absolute minefield.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

8one6 posted:

Unless they're space Hitlers right now or will be in the immediate future then the best thing would be to save them. It would have been impossible to predict [gestures widely at 2020] for an alien species that monitored Earth in like the 1st century or the Renaissance. You're also not responsible for any "might have been" civs that could have developed had the current civ not been wiped out by the asteroid made of atomic bombs superman tried to fling into the sun.
So you've chosen space eugenics - cultures whose values most closely align with your own and beings who are relatable/identifiable as "people" are more likely to survive/become warp capable as there is an advanced civilisation looking out for them.
You've basically chosen to be a God and decide who lives and who dies - some might say you don't have the right. You obviously feel that you have the responsibility.

A charitable interpretation of the Prime Directive is that it's about abdicating both of those: you don't get to choose, but you're also not responsible.
How much blood you get on your hands following the prime directive is very subjective, and that's why I think that over the years the prime directive has been applied so inconsistently by the writers.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s funny is that the prime directive only makes sense in a we can’t decide who lives and dies but that only applies for who lives. If you let everyone die then your not making a choice but if you save everyone you are? Somehow?

Like if you know you are deciding either way, one is just more passive
It doesn't only apply to who lives - they don't go around murdering planets of "bad guys" either.
Most people will say there's a moral difference between not performing the Heimlich maneuver and actively choking a person to death with your hands. Sure, one is 'more passive', but you're saying they're morally equivalent?

I like to think of the Prime Directive being the result of humanity taking a big old helping of humble pie and going: Well what the gently caress do we know anyway?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

This isn't an ethically challenging problem, to be honest.
The timescales are just too large and there's just no way to know, so it's ethically dubious to do anything other than err on the side of preserving life.
Okay, you're interventionist - where's the line?
Space-related disasters (suns exploding, asteroids)? Extreme volcanic activity that will wipe out civilisations? What about nuclear war that will leave the planet uninhabitable? Plague?
Mass starvation? Ritualistic child murder? Surely educating them on farming techniques and away from sacrificing kids to bring the rain can only be a good thing? And educating them to do other things your way to preserve life is fine too? These are all 'easy' for you to solve. You're like a god to them and they are dependent on you.

Leave it to each captain where the line is? Then you need to accept widely varying outcomes.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly yes? I hate that modern culture teaches you passivity absolves you of the effects it has.
No, you've still got a dead person, and I acknowledge that. But I think it's fair to say that how 'responsible' you are for that death is subjective. You feel that someone should be charged with murder for not intervening. What about all the slave labour and deaths caused by your lifestyle? Do you eat meat? Why is your life more valuable?
There's billions of worlds out there - millions of causes of deaths, you going to fix them all? Or acknowledge that the universe is an unfair place, stop trying to have control over the whole thing, and try to build a system that helps people as best you can (the federation)?

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

There's a really clear dividing line on your list that starts right after "volcanic activity." Everything else requires directly intervening with a civilization's internal affairs. It's pretty straightforward to have a policy that says you do what you can to avert catastrophes when doing so isn't unduly risky and doesn't force you to reveal yourself to native populations or interact with them in any kind of meaningful way.
Is it a clear dividing line? What about persons not part of the dominant civilisation? How is humanity going nuclear meaningfully different for dolphins to an asteroid strike? It's a natural disaster as far as they're concerned. They have as much control over it as you have control of the Earth's position in the solar system when a comet comes through.
Swap humans and dolphins with say, Earthians and advanced Martians (all pre-warp) - the Martians are gonna do something dumb and blow up the sun - does humanity get helped by a passing federation ship?

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, I'm saying there isn't an easy answer.

Paradoxish posted:

But that's besides the point. The core of this is that you aren't morally responsible for bad things that someone else does just because you saved that person's life. The question of how much intervention is too much intervention is challenging and interesting. The question of whether or not it's okay to save a civilization that might turn out to be a bunch of Space Nazis isn't, really.
That wasn't my question - my question was: do you make a judgement about the civilisation before deciding whether to save them or not?
If you don't, and you're saving everyone (including space nazis), from that you might find there are unintended consequences - not least the crew may not feel so good about it. You've now started down the intervention road which, I agree is a challenging question.

EDIT:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: B'Elanna and Tom's relationship was incredibly toxic, and she'd have been better off hooking up with Vorik

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 30, 2020

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
New trek is all about Burnham and Tilly sitting on a bed in their room, talking about curly hair and giving each other braids.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
SPOILERS! Gah!

I can't believe you ruined the season's hair plot arc.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
They did sort of address it in Voyager I think - where the food he was making early on was gross/inedible because he didn't understand the human palate.

And then my memory is telling me he made a cheese that infected the ship because it has some sort of biological circuitry?

EDIT: The more confusing inaccuracy is that he's using pounds and fahrenheit when I thought it was established that the Federation was using sensible units?

Strong Convections fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 6, 2020

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Sash! posted:

Fahrenheit is the sensible unit.
Oh yeah, sure. Let's set our 0 at the freezing point of a random brine mixture, and our hundred around the temperature of human blood, but not quite.
Water ice at 0 and boiling at 100? Get out of here and get your head checked by a qualified phrenologist!

8one6 posted:

I have to assume that someone at the book publisher just used the terrible old-timey internet to look up recipes and grabbed the first one they saw for each dish and didn't notice some of them were joke recipes because I'm a midwestern white guy and even I know that's not how you make jambalaya.
I assume they thought their audience was basement dwellers who would never actually use the book to cook anything, so it didn't matter. And you don't want to run into any legal issues by accidentally having a recipe that resembles something already published.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The theoretical ability of being slightly more able to memorize those two temperatures has basically no utility.
It's almost like all measurement systems are arbitrary, but some systems are easier to use, more consistent, and based around things like, say, water (1 cubic centimetre being 1 millilitre of water).
Federation uses metric, like the entire world outside of the US. You are on the side of Neelix and his cookbook.

Athanatos posted:

Also, anyone able to just take the turbo lifts to the bridge is great. Sure it's the future and all of Starfleet know their place...but you just let random people you pick up from a space fridge run around giving the computer commands?
I guess in an emergency it would be helpful if anyone was able to board your ship to assist.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Talking betazoids - remember when Voyager had the psychopath betazoid who was one of the most interesting characters in the entire series, and then they killed him off because they didn't want to have anything complicated going on?
Everything must be clearly good and evil. Evil can only be redeemed by dying and then we don't have to deal with anything post-redemption.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Like the doors that only open when someone is actually ready to leave a room, Universal Translators are equipped with finely-tuned Narrative Compensators to ensure that they don't disrupt the Dramatium field that is the real reason that the Federation has been so successful.
I believe engines are also equipped with the Compensators for speed and functionality. Really sucks when you're aboard a vessel who's destruction would be poignant.

Thinking about it, watching foreign dubbed Star Trek - where the lips don't match the speech - would be more 'realistic' in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Broadcast on all known frequencies and in all known languages... including welsh.