Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
This may be a question too obscure for even this thread:
Anyone have recs for good model kits of the Enterprise? Can be TOS or TNG. The current ones I’m finding on amazon have reviews that make me a little unsure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

More of a general recommendation from when I built my Defiant, but try to avoid looking up pictures of the filming models as a reference. The colors they used look wonky under normal lighting anyway and even the 4 foot model has more than enough detail put on by professionals to make you feel bad about how your AMT model is going.

I thought the colors on the Enterprise-D I found on amazon looked weird as hell. All those blue squares which I’m sure are accurate to some degree but I’m film it doesn’t look like that to me

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Speaking of ship models, I got the Eaglemoss XL Orville recently.

Eyeballing it, it seems like it's fairly close to 1:1400 scale, or at least close enough I'm happy to display it with the rest of the fleet.

We mainlined The Orville last week and loved it. I’ve been coveting that since. These photos might convince me, it looks real nice.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Followup question: Is there a better place to ask for people’s favorite Trek comics and books? If not then, pretend I just asked that.
And if it’s been discussed to death on here what page should I jump to?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
On a long drive I started the Prime Directive audiobook and goddamn is it entertaining. Was surprised I’ve already made it through about two thirds of it.
It’s read by James Doohan and his Kirk is perfect.
There aren’t a ton of Trek audiobooks on Overdrive, and most of the ones on there don’t have great reviews, so I imagine I’ll blast through the ones I want to listen to pretty quickly.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pacra posted:

I love talking about the trek comics, but usually this thread moves too fast to catch up after a few weeks :)

I thought a lot of the Trek comics were of very high writing and art quality. Some of my favorites are from the DC volume 2 of TOS, which was mostly written by Peter David, known for his Marvel 80s/90s work on Incredible Hulk and 2000s work on X-Factor.

It's good stuff and I think I started to review the first couple of issues in this thread if you namesearch. I fell off the wagon, but maybe I'll start it up again and index the lot.

The dark horse omnibuses are out of print but some can be found cheap. I’ll probably order the ones that aren’t super pricey soon or just go digital. I’m a big Peter David fan.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Everyone should read/listen to Prime Directive. It’s one of the more consistent stories I’ve seen about the concept of the PD and has a very harrowing Enterprise action sequence.
The whole thing of Kirk being so publicly disgraced that he fucks off from Starfleet and within four months is just loading boxes onto cargo ships and talking about how humiliating it is to have to pay for food and transit and Spock working at a desk felt pretty raw and real. Reminded me of City On the Edge of Forever but worse because they weren’t just waiting to time travel, their lives and careers were just over.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Pacra posted:

Here's the link to my original trek comics rundown - I don't think I mentioned the dark horse ones and I'm sure i missed a ton more of other trek stuff, this was cobbled from my own experience with the licensed ones I was able to grab or remember from the 90s.

This rules thank you!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Unmature posted:

I’ve been reading big chunks of old parts of this thread and I forget who recommended it but THANK YOU to whomever mentioned the audiobook of Q-Squared read by John De Lancie. Fiancée and I are halfway through it and we’re digging it big time. Gonna watch the Trelane episode tonight. Never seen it, but we’ve been sprinkling in the occasional TOS episode into our TNG watch through.

Finished this up on our final drive to our new place and goddamn is it stellar. If it were an episode it would be the most batshit episode of any Trek show for sure. It goes nuts.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 22, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

You should track down Spock vs Q, and Spock vs Q: The Sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao

I listened to both of them years ago and they're funny as poo poo.

Hell yeah they’re both on Hoopla. Thanks for the rec, they’re both on the list

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does Discovery have any magic Q kind of stuff in it at all? Or are they too chickenshit for that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I absolutely remember JJ on the ST09 blu ray saying he wanted to make star wars and liked it more than Star Trek

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Zaroff posted:

This was offered as part of a promo with the DS9 S6 / Voyager S4 VHS releases in the UK - if you got all 26 tapes (so costing about £260 in 1998) then you could send the coupons within and get a Defiant discman (more than likely for a nominal charge).

I'm genuinely curious how many people sent off for this, and if they had either a huge number of unclaimed CD players or insufficient stock?

I hope they got turned into dental equipment like the Atari Jaguar

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

You should track down Spock vs Q, and Spock vs Q: The Sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao

I listened to both of them years ago and they're funny as poo poo.

Listened to both of these while unpacking today and they indeed totally own

Unmature
May 9, 2008
During our Trek journey we’ve now watched Where No Fan Has Gone Before twice and I’m convinced it’s the best TOS episode

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Marshal Radisic posted:

The whole modern industry of SFX and VFX were literally just getting started when TOS started airing; before then television was a realm of sitcoms, westerns, and some cop shows for variety. We take so much of this stuff for granted nowadays that we sometimes forget TOS was quite literally writing the book on how to do these things.

There’s a universe where Star Trek never got off the ground because of this and this thread is about My Favorite Martian

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Why the gently caress is this book so expensive. Even on EBay its like 130 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HC9XI46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_cYvBFbAX4FXAD

Unmature
May 9, 2008

It’s the only Trek paperback I’ve found that’s that scarce. No audiobook either. Guess I’ll do the ebook.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I tried to put together a wishlist for Star Trek novels a while back but it all just got overwhelming. I think the only ones I'd really be interested in if I got down to it were maybe the Titan books, because I like Riker and the Titan is such a cool ship, and maybe the A Time To... books that cover what the TNG crew got up to on the Enterprise-E in the timespan between First Contact and Nemesis.

There's just so much Trek EU out there and it all crosses over with itself so much it's intimidating to try and delve into. Also the dubious quality of a lot of it, but that's a given.

I just started The New Voyages which is a bunch of 70s fan fiction officially published and it’s... interesting to say the least. Very excited to get this one in the mail soon as well as a few others. Also just listened to the audiobooks of Prime Directive and Q-Squared which are both fantastic.

We’re watching TMP right now. First time I’ve seen it in at least a decade. I don’t know how someone can not enjoy this movie.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Drone posted:

Oh God I'm so sorry.

I read through it and its sequel anthology and did little reviews of each story in each for a nerdy "read a poo poo ton of old Trek books" project that I've since kinda given up on.

Those books are bad, and Culbreath/Marshak are extremely bad.

I’m still on the first story. The setup is very interesting and feels pretty TNG to me and then it turns into slash fiction without the Spock/Kirk/OtherSpock three way loving. I’m gonna read more because I find Culbreath and Marshak fascinating

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Aren't those the books that essentially contain the premise for Galaxy Quest, where the actors switch places with the characters?

Thought you were confusing it with Red Shirts for a second.

Listened to Imzadi by Peter David on another long drive with my fiancee today. We learned that Riker took Troi's virginity, everyone on Betazed pretty much does everything naked, and if Picard tells Data to kill a member of the crew he'll probably do it. Pretty good book!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

:ohdear: In any given circumstances, or does the situation have to meet certain parameters?

He had very little information to go on, took the order, but kept loving it up and was confused so it was like his subconscious stopped him. Also it may have been future Date or possibly Lore from the present or the future. Again, some of the time travel was confusing.
Also again, I was driving so I might have missed some context.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 26, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
FYI Pluto TV has a 24 hour Star Trek channel as well as classic Doctor Who and MST3K. How have I never watched all of this before

Unmature
May 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

My Trek confession: when I first got into filmmaking in middle school, I taught myself how to properly format a screenplay by writing a hypothetical pilot for a new Trek show. I think it’s buried in a box somewhere, but I remember it was about three separate ships and I wanted each episode to focus on a different one, and somehow the season would tie all their stories together.

I’m pretty sure it was uniformly awful and I 100% based one of the captains off of Vegeta.

find it and :justpost: it

Unmature
May 9, 2008
We’re watching Space Seed to prepare for WOK and after Kahn has his little meeting with Kirk and goes to take over the Enterprise the way he slaps the absolute poo poo out of that redshirt owns. He backhands the ensign so hard he does a backflip down the hallway.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Read the first 50 pages of this tonight and it is freakin delightful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Much_for_Just_the_Planet%3F

Unmature
May 9, 2008
In case you’re wondering Wrath of Kahn is still good. And recommending How Much For Just The Planet? again because the banter is as good as I’ve ever seen in any Trek. Very funny without being too goofy or out of character. Definitely gonna check out some more stuff by John M. Ford.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Timby posted:

38 years later, the character's name is literally on-screen as the title of the movie, and people still can't spell "Khan." :mad:

My phone changed it!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just started Search for Spock for the first time. Five and a half minutes in and we’ve only seen footage from WOK including the titlecard.

EDIT: Oh good christ, Uhura’s hair

EDIT EDIT: Boy considering how much I like TMP more than most people I was really hoping to enjoy that a lot more. Was mostly pretty bored throughout and was waiting for them to get to the Spock factory the whole time. I didn’t really connect with anyone, even Kirk after the first hour or so. The Saavik replacement is super distracting after Alley is so good in WOK. And that movie is uuuugly as poo poo. Or at least just boring looking not as cool visually as 1 and 2. I’d take the TMP pajamas over most of what was going on here.
My fiancée really liked it though.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 27, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I love that book. Did you catch the cameos? The stage manager Neil (black turtleneck) is based on an old buddy of Ford's, last name Gaiman. Barely anyone knew who he was in the US back then. DeeDee and Pete are based on fellow Trek writers Diane Duane and Peter Morwood (who I recommend if you enjoyed Ford). There's a few others.

The Final Reflection is completely different tonally. Far more meditative. Extremely worthwhile. Discovery was supposed to go that direction with its Klingons, but couldn't carry it off after Bryan whatsisface bailed to work on American Gods for... Gaiman, sigh.

I haven’t read any Morwood yet, but I have a couple Diane Duane books on the way. I love the way the Klingons are portrayed in HMFJTP?. Just being a regular crew who are kind of ornery but still get down to business like the captain having a drink with Kirk during their downtime.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Starting The Voyage Home. drat, Nimoy gets four credits up top. A Leonard Nimoy film, as Spock, story by, and directed by.

Where do I get McCoy’s jacket

Huh, so time travel at this point is easy as “we’re in an unfamiliar Klingon ship, but we got this” and then they just DO it

WOW this is a way different movie than the others. This is like a goofy 80s comedy. Feels more like a movie made by the Three Men and a Baby guy than TSFS

When they transport out of the hospital, why do they land outside the ship? Just to leave the mom from 7th Heaven there?

Overall, fun movie! Liked it more than III but still not that much. And I am very discouraged by the fact that this is one of the even and therefore “good” ones. Hope I like VI more because so far it’s been a real downhill slide since WOK. Not at all looking forward to the TNG ones either.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 29, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Kirk free climbing El Cap, Spock learns colorful metaphors and does too much LDS in the 60s, Scotty works a mouse, and the neck pinch to the obnoxious punk with the boombox. It was gloriously stupid and very much of its time

Scotty and Bones were the best part

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Unmature posted:

Read the first 50 pages of this tonight and it is freakin delightful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Much_for_Just_the_Planet%3F

I’m now halfway through this book and it may be my new favorite TOS story. Super funny without being out of character at all and all of the character interactions are wonderful. The Enterprise crew keep matching up with their counterparts from the Klingon ship and having the most wholesome interactions. It feels like this is the flashpoint that leads to Klingons joining the Federation.

Of course Scotty just got into a fight with their engineer though, but then a southern gentleman who talks like Foghorn Leghorn suggested they duel with any form of combat they choose. Scotty picked golf. Read this book.

It’s weird to read a musical but I got used to it quick. Oh yeah it’s a Gilbert and Sullivan-style musical.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MillennialVulcan posted:

Oh rad a copy of this is at my local bookstore too. I've been reading The Kobayashi Maru which has been a great story.

I just downloaded the (abridged I think) audiobook of that. Can’t wait to listen, it’s been talked about a lot in this thread

I love that there are two conversations about Jeffrey Combs happening simultaneously on the forums right now. One here and one about his portrayal of The Question on JLU in another thread.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 29, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching Star Trek V tonight. Spock just nerve pinched a horse.
This feels like it’s supposed to be like at most a year after TMP and everyone has gained ten years and forty pounds.
Man this movie is BO-RING

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 30, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Wrath of Khan is like 10-15 years after TMP iirc

What the? That’s nuts I thought that was how long after Space Seed

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I could be misremembering and it's after just another 5 year mission following TMP, but the Enterprise is already basically retired as a training simulator so a good amount of time has definitely passed.

No you’re right I just didn’t catch that at all

V is far and away the worst Trek TOS movie I’ve seen so far

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 30, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I am so fffffuuuuuckin bored. They’re talking to God now though so it’s picked up a little.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

None of the plot points in ST5 are ever really explored much besides the relationship between the Big Three. Meanwhile, the other cast is reduced to comic relief between Scotty knocking himself out on a girder and the Uhura fan dance

At least Chekov got to be fake captain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching VI now. Let’s discover this country

I’m diggin this one so far! More than 3, 4, and 5 by this point for sure (we’re at the trial). Only thing that sticks out so far is, the Klingons are so sure that the two guys were part of Kirk’s crew but no one knows who they were. So if their case hinged on Kirk being responsible for his crew I’d just be like “Who were they? If you don’t know then you don’t know they’re from my crew. That’s not evidence.”

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 1, 2020