Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
God drat it. I forgot that Beyond came out, so I checked the cinema schedule. Turns out it won't be released until October 21 in Japan. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

It was my impression that he hasn't retired, but he was always more of a theatre actor rather than film or TV so you don't see him much. Not to mention, his regular job is a university professor in acting.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

OAquinas posted:

When it comes to nebulae, I actually have less of a problem with the 2D maps--many of them have similar aspects in all three dimensions, so if you're saying "no" to it then up, down, left, right--doesn't matter. One direction may be more optimal than others but they're all probably in the same ballpark. That goddamn "romulan blockade" episode was just enormously stupid though.

Yeah, that part's fine. The problem I have with those episodes is how they didn't notice the nebula coming from light years away and didn't change their course a couple of degrees to avoid it completely.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

She's wearing the wrong emblem for science/medical

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I believe that one of the conditions for the Lego Star Wars license is that they can't do their own original space themes anymore. Or at least, not as much as previously. I'm not sure Lego minds too much because that license prints money for them.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Ehh, makes more sense to me that kanar is just the Cardassian version of beer or wine. There's a ton of different styles and most are equally legit.

What are people's thoughts on yamok sauce? I'm not sure we ever saw it in the show, but I always imagined it like a bitter, sour curry sauce.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Knormal posted:

It does make me wonder though, what happens if Picard or Riker lock out the command codes then get killed. Does the Enterprise become destine to just float around space forever because no one can even send a message to get an Admiral to fly out and override it?

No idea. Maybe after a while the ship sends a message automatically to Starfleet Command or something.

Cos we're all nerds on the internet we put way more thought into it than the writers did.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I can tell you a health problems and genetics of a person in a far away starship or on the surface of a planet, but I usually have no idea when my own crew are injured, missing, or there's an intruder. Well, the computer knows, it just doesn't tell you unless you specifically ask.

Off the top of my head, the worst example of that is an episode of Voyager (what else) where the Doctor can detect Janeway's(?) heartbeat from ten light years away. Even for Voyager I thought that was reaching a bit, but then again Trek is never consistent about it's tech

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I always figured someone who worked on TOS always had this envisioned for Klingons and then with movie money they could create the Klingons that they had dreamed about in the 60s.

I'm pretty sure I've read exactly that somewhere. It may have even been Roddenberry's or Coon's vision during TOS.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Totally agree. The Sternbach blueprints are just endless corridors and tiny rooms for the most part and that would get boring really quick. Also, those blueprints don't show any kind of structural skeleton for the ship which is a bit odd. About the only advantage they have (as mentioned in that video) is that since they were made in 1996 they could show every area depicted on TNG/Generations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

One thing you could try doing is running the games in an older version of Windows in VirtualBox. I have a copy of Windows 98 set up like that and it works great.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Totally agree. I like the Galaxy, but it's got too many goofy-looking angles that were constantly shown on the show. IMO the refit Constitution looks good from literally every angle

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Reminder: as designed it was supposed to be both a fighter carrier and a heavy assault ship with fifteen torpedo launchers :jerkbag:

You know, I've heard that before about the Akira and I have to wonder if that was the idea going in, or whether it was fanwank afterwards. Got any info either way?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Away Team. I enjoyed it, but yeah, not fantastic. It had a pretty ridiculous plot.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Orv posted:

Somebody takes over Starfleet Academy or HQ or something and you have to go in and phaser murder a bunch of mind-controlled cadets or something? It's been a while.

Something like that. I remember Klingon, Romulan, Borg and Vulcan levels as well, but I'm not going to dig up my copy to find out. I'm not sure it even works on modern versions of Windows.

It's a bit of a shame it was an underwhelming game because I loved the concept.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

IIRC it was the :techno: reason why Voyager's nacelles move when they go to warp.

The thing I never got about that is why they'd need to move in the first place. AFAIK the warp engines don't do anything at impulse, so why not have the nacelles in their warping positions all the time?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Q_res posted:

Well, Voyager does have the impulse engines on the nacelle pylons. So it sort of makes sense in that context. Plus I always figured it was a budget thing. They said the F-14 was their inspiration, so I always assumed they meant for the angle to vary with warp factor. Same way the Tomcat's wings swept further back at higher speeds.

Good point about the impulse engines, but I think that's kind of a weak excuse. Sure, on present-day spacecraft the engines have to be in a certain place (behind the centre of mass) in order to propel the craft forward without spinning, but I don't think that holds with Trek ships with their magic technology.

I had considered that the engine angle would vary with warp factor, but it was never shown so I wasn't sure why they bothered. I didn't know that a swing-wing fighter was a cited inspiration for Voyager, so it makes sense from that angle.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

For what it's worth the DS9 writers made a conscious decision to use Alpha Quadrant all the time to make things less confusing for everyone involved, especially with the constant references to the Gamma Quadrant.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

So apparently the Terok Nor DS9 was destroyed in the novels? And there's a new Federation-built station in its place. drat, it's hideous.

What gets me about the vertical rings is that they are obviously there for visual continuity with Terok Nor, but they're not docking pylons. They have no obvious purpose. Why are they there?

Knormal posted:

I think it would look a lot better without the useless vertical rings, with just that horizontal ring it would look more like an evolution of the mushroom-type starbase. Still not great, but better.

Totally agree. That would be a good start.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Actually it's pretty crazy how much of an impact that tiny touch has. It makes the ship feel more like a ship, and also more human. Do any other Star Trek vessels have that feature?

I think that most if not all of the DS9/Voyager era ships do, but I'm not sure how easy they are to see in the episodes themselves.

I do like how in Armada II (and possibly the first, I've never played it) all the Fed ships have red and green navigation lights, but they're all on the wrong side.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

spincube posted:

In Encounter at Farpoint, Data makes a big deal of how separating the saucer and stardrive sections of the ship while at warp is extremely risky.

...how would they even accomplish separation at warp speed, given that the saucer section doesn't have warp capability in the first place? I imagine it'd be like trying to deftly and elegantly launch a paper plane from a fighter jet.

:techno: During separation, the saucer is under the influence of the stardrive's warp bubble for long enough that it can safely move away before it drops to impulse :techno:

Or something like that. I'm sure someone spergier than me has thought about it for longer than I have.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Royale. I'm only a few minutes in but Picard says there's never been a successful proof of Fermat's Last Theroem, yet it was proven a couple years after the episode aired. Whoops.

I'm too late for math chat so I have nothing to add there, but I did like how this error (not that it was an error at the time) was somewhat fixed in a DS9 episode where Jadzia mentions "the most creative proof since WIles" or something like that.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Kind of. There are consistent rank systems/insignia used in the movies and documented in :spergin: books (presumably designed by the production staff), but it's not referenced much/at all in the dialogue.

As for TMP's date, it's officially 2271. Scotty (?) mentions that the Ent had 18 months of refits, but I think it's always just been assumed that the refits began pretty much immediately after Turnabout Intruder.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Starfleet Command had it's own patch too in TOS.

I quite liked the NASA-style patches in Enterprise.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The subtitle thing is still happening.

GeordI: " But what I don't understand is why a three-man station would need a reactor capable of producing 4.2 gigawatts."
Subtitle: "But why does a three-man station need a 4.2 gigawatt reactor?"

Isn't that pretty standard though? Not that I watch much TV with subtitles, but I've noticed that too and I always figured that it was to not fill up the screen with text.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I figured the subtitles are the script and onscreen is LeVar adding a bit extra.

I hadn't considered that, but that's a good point. A bit of Googling suggests that the reasons why subs don't always match the dialogue is probably a mix of both our ideas, plus timing considerations, i.e. if someone's talking fast that there is not too much to read before the next line. Of course, there's always the possibility that the subtitler is just poo poo at their job as well.

dont even fink about it posted:

Riposte Counterpoint: No it isn't, and the Prime Directive is the worst thing about TNG-onward.

The Prime Directive is fine, it's just the way it was treated was pretty terrible, especially in Voyager.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Exactly. The only characters that get short-changed are Jadzia and Bashir (to an extent). The former because the writers never really figured out what to do with her character, so she revolved entirely around her relationships with Sisko and Worf. Bashir gains a nice maturity over the course of the show, but then you have that awful misstep with his genetic modifications. After that, he spends most of the final season spouting calculations like he's Data and it doesn't work at all. There's a case to be made for Ezri as well, but I think they did fine considering the character was a late addition to an established cast in the final season of a show wrapping up a huge war arc.

This comes up a lot here, and I totally agree. Just throwing it out there though, what could be done with Jadzia's character? I'm having a hard time thinking of something compelling, apart from basically replacing her arc with Ezri's. Then again, I'm not a writer.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Had DS9 already started when they cast Gul Dukat as the poker player in Time's Arrow?

No, but there was only a few months between them. Time's Arrow was the TNG Season 5/6 cliffhanger, and DS9 started during TNG's sixth season.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Does anyone remember that Klingon sarcophagus ship that got leaked ages ago? If the Klingons we've seen come from that, then I'd be ok with it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Was the assholishness only pre-TOS? Vulcans seemed plenty assholish post-TOS and also in TOS.

I think the difference is that in ENT, you've got all the Vulcan-Earth political stuff too. The rear end in a top hat stuff has always been there, but it seems much more prominent in ENT.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

No one seems to remember this version of the delta insignia because it has the trifecta of Voyager, time travel, and Geordi. I actually dig it though.

https://youtu.be/-tQBxxfLvz0

Those showed up in a few other episodes, notably All Good Things and The Visitor. They don't show rank though
:goonsay:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They are absolutely dedicated to making Tasha straight

Of course they are. Everyone knows there's no gays in the future

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Orv posted:

You know it just occurred to me how weird it must be to use TNG era phasers as the actors, it's not like they see the beam, and it's already a weird thing to hold and aim. They do just fine in the final cuts of the shows, but I wonder how many times in TNG/DS9/Voy season 1 they had to stop and correct things.

This is from a later season of TNG (3 I think), but it's probably the worst example:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The 'no religion' rule is absolutely insane. In the original series episode "Bread And Circuses", Kirk referred to Jesus obliquely when they figured out the meaning of the "son worshipers". Didn't Kirk also say in response to someone that "the one [god] we have is quite sufficient"?

This sounds like all the politically correct nonsense of season one TNG coming back.

Well, you could interpret Kirk's line to mean 'the one' as in 'yourself', and that would fit with Gene's atheism.

I don't find it weird that they'd know about Christianity even if they didn't follow it. Most people these days would be able to tell you the names of a bunch of Greek and Roman gods, and there's much more time between them and the present day than between the present day and Star Trek.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Did anyone else just realise that the difference between Data and Lore is reflected in their names? Lore (folklore) being more emotional, Data being cold and scientific?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I guess that makes me an idiot

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall that was supposed to be one of the (in-universe) reasons they use the Stardate system, is to help account for time fuckery.

(yes yes Stardates are actually mostly meaningless)

Not that it matters much, but there was a DS9 novel that offers a technobabble explanation of stardates. Basically it's like GMT/UTC, where the stardate is the time at a common reference point and you can work it out based on your local time and the distance to the reference point.

What is this reference point you ask? Well, it's the centre of a hypersphere with hundreds of millions of dimensions, each representing the location of a planet, ship or other object. Since each object is on the surface of this imaginary sphere, they always have the same distance to the centre of the sphere.

One thing mentioned in that explanation (but never in the show) is that stardates can run backward due to relativity and other fuckery, and this is normal and accounted for.

I dunno, seems plausible to me on the surface. No idea how the maths works out though.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

All matter in space vibrates at 21 centimeters? What?

That's a case of the writers misunderstanding science.

21cm is the wavelength of the main line in the absorption spectrum of hydrogen, and as hydrogen is the most common element in the universe, you see it a lot, especially in stars. That spectral line is very useful and we've figured out the structure of our galaxy by measuring them and their Doppler shifts. It's also how we've figured out that the universe is expanding.

So yeah, it's a real thing, but the writers misunderstood it completely.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The list is exactly what it purports to be, but I guess also a reminder that trekkies outside this thread still love them some Borg, no matter how overbaked they got.

Case in point: me ages 12-15. I couldn't get enough of the Borg around then, but now I think they're pretty cliched. I guess lots of Trek fans never grew out of it :shrug:

I'm still absolutely baffled by Time and Again being on that list. It's such a nothing episode. I can only assume it's because of people starting at the beginning of the series, but then why aren't Caretaker and Parallax on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Randallteal posted:

From the press release:

"Netflix analyzed the viewing data of 104 million members across 190 countries who have watched the following Star Trek series on Netflix: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: Voyager. In an attempt to look for data beyond default behavior, the first two episodes from any season ones were omitted from the data. “Rewatch” is defined when a member returns to watch at least 6 minutes of an episode they had previously completed."

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-boldly-goes-where-no-man-has-gone-before-revealing-star-trek-fans-favorite-episodes

Well, that suggests my assumption could be right. Time and Again is the third episode of Voyager.