Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When did someone say the new series was going to be in the JJTrek timeline? I thought it was going to be the original one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

Do one of the Trek nerd websites have a list of What Is Known and What Is Not laying about, because my efforts to find one failed :(
I think Fuller shot down the idea that the show takes place between TUC and TNG a week or two ago. Other than that it's been pretty sparse as far as information.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Millennium got to be nuts since it was an alternate universe. It did approach Shatnerverse levels of insanity though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The only big crossover is Worf joining the DS9 regular cast in season 4. Otherwise it's an episode here and there that really doesn't require you to know the other series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pulaski is the worst because she clashes with the rest of the cast. They clearly wanted a female Dr. McCoy and it doesn't work. I thought Crusher always worked better with Picard especially since they have the backstory of her husband being Picard's first officer and his tragic death and everything. Plus the on/off romance stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Payndz posted:

Janeway doesn't give a poo poo about any non-main-cast crewperson. Poor Joe Carey almost made it to the end of the series (only for his epitaph from Janeway to be "Turns out exploring the galaxy isn't worth risking a single life. Welp, on we go in our exploration vessel!"), but when Future Janeway comes back in time in 'Endgame' does she arrive a week or so earlier to warn her past self that he's about to die needlessly at the hands of some stupid whiny assholes? Nope, it's all about Seven!
That and Tuvok since in the timeline where Voyager takes many years to get home he gets Space Alzheimer's

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

He seems to think this'll imply that his Sulu was closeted, which is what he's against, but the fact that both timeliness have Demora implies Takei's Sulu was just gay offscreen.
He seemed more concerned that this went against the original writing of the character. I do agree that it would have been better to add a new character who is gay, rather than just make an existing one gay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Generations is a great movie that goons regularly slam for little reason. The cinematography alone is an epiphany after 7 years of overlit sets and boring TV camera angles. Data's emotional rollercoaster, McDowell devouring the props and sets in every scene, etc etc. I even love that they finally put the crew on an honest to god schooner in full naval regalia. Stewart and Whoopi nail those Nexus scenes. It's fantastic. The only downside to the whole thing is that the Duras' take down the D instead of a Romulan Warbird, something that was teased for 7 seasons. I can't even fault Kirk's death, the character dies helping to save an entire world. What more could you want?

If Generations had had a Romulan-centric plot instead of the Duras', it would be cited alongside TUC and WoK as the best Trek has to offer in film.
The whole 'let's kill off Picard's rediscovered family offscreen' is incredibly lazy writing, I'm sorry. That's responsible for Picard's arc in the film and it's dumb. Yes, Stewart/Goldberg are good in those Nexus parts, but the stuff with Picard/Kirk comes off as awkward and Kirk's death is lame. The sideplot with Data was also poorly done. I get that they are trying to build on the Data episodes from the series, but it's mostly played for comedy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Why cookie Rocket posted:

That's the thing that makes Into Darkness truly terrible-- at it's core it's an incredible return to form as far as Trek's best and highest purpose: skewering American sociopolitical issues via cowboy scifi. But then they said "nah gently caress that" and buried the best thing about it under layers of focus group approved fan pandering nonsense. Nemesis is god awful but at least it doesn't make me sad to think about how it could've been awesome.
I liked it until they decided to make it a terrible WoK remake. It actually seemed to be dealing somewhat well at first with the fallout from ST09.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I like some aspects of TMP, but it's way too far up its own rear end with the long takes and ridiculously slow pacing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Do you feel the same way about Alien? I mean, we don't get even one line of dialog until about the 10 minute mark. It's not until almost the 40 minute mark that we get the facehugger.

The movies are paced very similar.

Really though, you have to put yourself in the moment with TMP. No internet, likely only a few sneak shots of the ship in magazines and marketing.

You go from the TV show special effects to motherfucking ILM in the prime of miniatures. I'll grant them their indulgence, I'm sure the fans appreciated it at the time.

One of my issues with first contact us that we were never properly introduced to the ship.
I get that it's a product of its time, but WoK came out a couple of years later and it's a million times better.

Alien is a horror movie with slow pacing on purpose to build tension. Completely different comparison.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It still boggles my mind that they couldn't be bothered to have consistent uniforms either....rather than get a whole new set of the DS9 version uniforms, they had like half TNG ones and half DS9. So lazy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

By the way, my assessment is that the TMP uniforms are pretty cool and they actually make a pass at being somewhat utilitarian.
I thought they were fine, minus Disco Bones

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

I had a friend who was former Navy and she insisted that was actually pretty realistic. The Navy would roll out new uniforms and you'd have a year to get the new one. So during that transitional period, you'd have half the ship on the old one and half the ship on the new one.
That's just Paramount being cheap. This is a universe with replicators.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm disappointed they scrapped those...it seems to combine the TOS movie uniforms of ST2-6 and the TNG unis.

Was it a case of them not looking right on film or something?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Supposedly the decision came from on high -- like, above Berman -- that the new uniforms would have constituted introducing "too many new elements" to the film. :jerkbag:
Uh....they barely put anything 'new' in it anyway? Any casual fan probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Those are Federation time cops basically. They are not part of Starfleet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Uhh JJ Abrams just said the next Trek movie after Beyond will have Kirks dad back.
More surprising to me is that they seem to have greenlit a 4th film before this one even comes out. Apparently advance reviews have started coming out and they are positive for the new one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Which is annoying because I live in the US and have a Netflix subscription but now I'm going to have to pony up for CBS' stuff for 3 months or however long it will take to air the whole thing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I'm actually more interested in the film now after reading that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Garak is currently running the Cardassian Union in a more positive direction in the post-DS9 books.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Odo was attempting to break the Jem'Hadar and Vorta of their genetic programming before he got trapped in the AQ for awhile.

Also a warring race killed the Founder 'God' which caused all of the Changelings to flip out and just go their separate ways, except for Odo and Laas who was in that one DS9 episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Gene was probably in favor of gay stuff but his Lawyer probably blocked it by being Gene's proxy and Berman probably did as well because "gene's vision."
George Takei said in a recent interview that Gene knew he was gay in the '60s, and that they had discussions about introducing gay characters but felt that was going to get the show cancelled (they're not wrong).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, 50s/60s film was heavily regulated by the Hays Code (I know that was used for film but not sure if it applied to TV as well), and TV was kind of the same deal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

I'm willing to overlook some of the cringe-worthy parts of The Final Frontier (but there aren't many) considering David Loughery had less than a month to write the script.
Wasn't the entire concept from the earliest Genesis of this film that it was going to involve them meeting God? That's my main problem. The other crap in there isn't helping, but the entire concept is a terrible idea for a franchise like Star Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm hoping we get something. We have absolutely no info so far that isn't rumor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm sure the new TV series will have at least one LGBT character considering Fuller is in charge.

I don't have a problem with the Sulu reveal thing...but I do agree with Takei that's it's unnecessary and would have been better suited for a new character. The problem is, 3 movies in it's hard to just throw in a new character like that and give them decent screen time. I mean Chekov has barely had anything to do in these films as it is (I haven't seen Beyond yet so I don't know if that is any different), so I don't see how they could put in another character and make it not feel tacked-on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There aren't really any unwatchable episodes in Season 3 that I can recall

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh yeah, that one. That was unnecessary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Loath as I am to suggest people read his poo poo, but Devin Faraci is live-tweeting the panel.
The @TrekMovie account is doing a better job

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You know you have a problem when the Axanar stuff looks more professional than the stuff by the network.

That's not something you should be showing that early, if it's indeed just test CGI or whatever.

The design is garbage too....and it seems clear there is some kind of Klingon influence. Parts of that music remind me of the Klingon themes from TNG.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think they said it was test footage, which makes more sense. The CGI is one of the last things they would be doing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

STB opened around $60 million, which is I think slightly above what the studio expected

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

It's sadly quite a bad performance in the scheme of previous Trek openings but what can you do.
I hope the international gross is high because I think the reported budget was around $180 mil

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just back from Beyond....way better than I thought it would be considering all of the directoral/writing changes over the last few years.

I wish they had spent a little more time on the villain's interesting backstory rather than shoving it in about 10 minutes before the end though. That was an interesting angle that mostly seems to have ended up on the cutting room floor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes, which is odd why they would bring Chris Hemsworth back for the 4th one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tighclops posted:

More like they were waiting to see if the reaction to Beyond was positive before announcing plans for a sequel
They actually announced the sequel before the movie came out, which I was surprised to see

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not disclosing the villain's real motivation until the end of the 3rd act was a bad decision, IMO

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the old Earth soldier kept alive by alien war lostech was an interesting foil for once.
Yes, although they completely forgot to explain much of the deal with that. All we found out about that planet was that it was an abandoned mining camp and that one weapon originated there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Of course everyone is also very lucky to have crash landed in the same general area on a planet.

A lot of the crew died in the initial attack presumably, How many people were jammed into the NX near the end there? Doesn't the Enterprise seat like over a thousand?
It's hard to know since an unknown number have to have died in the attack. Plus then some get killed on the planet.