Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Finished a rewatch (with skipping) of Voyager today.

The show is good friends, like it is extremely dumb at times but it's a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

oh but seriously I posted:

you're drunk, friend. you're all het up on turkey juice

I had a recent breakup and ST is my comfort food and let me tell you: I started drinking when Voyager ended.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Okay thinking a bit more about my VOY rewatch it is ofc a very flawed show but I just realized one thing, and I am wondering if it is a (one of many) plothole:
The USS Dauntless with that super fancy ultra slipstream Warp Drive was tech from a race that was mostly Assimilated by the Borg right?
From what I can tell turn of events is Borg try to get a race > they evade with superior tech most of the times >Borg busy with Species 8472 so they are "safe" > Janeway fucks over Delta Quadrant with her Alliance > USS Dauntless revenge plot.

While not fully conquered yet this very much implies that that race with the slipstream drive did have quite a bit of assimilation already, so why doesn't 7of9 know about it or at least have a "hey, wait a minute" moment. And thus their own attempts at slipstream later in the show be much easier.

I am also way overthinking a at best sloppy written show ofc.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Is there a good episode guide for TNG?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Here's my guide: Just watch em. Good with the bad. Don't skip something because someone said it sucks. And most definitely don't just skip to season 3 like some people suggest. There are great episodes in every season.

I actually love voyager FYI, so I can deal with shite. And I still want advice.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Just hit Darmok, never saw that one as a kid.

This is peak ST, what an episode.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Just started DS9 season 3 and I hate Odo so this all sounds good.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Quark is great tbh.

Like yeah he is a greedy gently caress who will throw you under the bus for his own gains, but you will survive the bus because he stripped it for parts first.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I don't care about this so hard that I actually loop around to being kind of annoyed that it exists

The last ST film was p decent, so we are due for a bad one again to keep that rhythm going.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

They would have to technobabble a whole lot of bullshit for that though, with how behind earth had to have been behind techwise.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Just saw the DS9 james-bond-in-the-holodeck episode and that was a lot of BS technobabble even for trek.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

multijoe posted:

Any episode where Riker has the beard you should watch

Yup.
For as lovely a site TvTropes is/was, their whole growing the beard thing is accurate.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

DS9 is getting wild. And so many people are horny for Kira. Worf owns/sucks in his unique way. O'Brien gets owned 24/7.

Show owns.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just saw the TNG where Data meets his mom and finds out she's a robot duplicate made by his dad. When I saw that episode as a kid, I didn't realize that when Data watches the recording left in a disc on her brain and talks to his dad, he mentions that she left him.

Doesn't that mean that he added the recording explaining that she is a secret robot after she dumped him? Like he turned her off while she was packing her bags and stuck that recording in there and then turned her back on? All through the ending I was debating whether or not the show is trying to present a plausible reading that Data's father is a weak scumbag who made an indefensible, selfish choice in recreating his dead wife because he didn't want to be alone, but I don't know that the reactions of the other characters support it, as they seem to think that was a fine thing to do.

Maybe I'm not giving the writers enough credit, but Spiner doesn't really play the guy either like he's thought about the ethical implications of what he did or like he's selfish and rationalizing a bad choice.

Data's creator is a dick yes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

The brief 4k upscales of DS9 looked just fine. I don’t even care if they just used that AI-upscale tactic for the entire show.

I’m watching on a HDTV anyway so it’ll either look lovely blurry because it’s 480 upscaled, or it’ll look weird because of 4k AI artifacting. I’d rather have the upres’d weird artifacting IMO.

Matrix 4 looking GOOD!

4K from a decent distance is fine enough tbh, It helps that it's from that era of shows that is lit kinda dark.
Anyway DS9 S6 here we go :stare:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Worf is just a (funny) Dick, He is still being an Klingonaboo rear end in a top hat even in DS9.

DS9 is also very good so far for clowning on O'Brien.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Rob Rockley posted:

Also one of my favorite character changes, the episode where Deanna Troi is in charge of the bridge during an accident and saves the enterprise by doing... nothing! She doesn’t know how to do anything! This turns out to be correct.

Then next season there’s a whole bit where she gets to do the training and exams to be a qualified bridge officer, which was :3: and felt like closing up a pretty big weakness for the character. Came WAY too late if you ask me but it was neat.

I mean she didn't do nothing, she stood her ground (which was doing nothing).
The lesson she had to learn in that second episode felt like a good one for her as well.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Rob Rockley posted:

Yeah I realized she was arguing with Ensign Ro, whose job is to always be wrong, even though I otherwise like the character just for being something different. Good judgement, but it was silly she was ostensibly in charge and knew so little.

Starfleet isn’t very good at anything other than Whale Talk and negotiations.

O'Brien mansplaining to her she was in charge is peak O'Brien.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Worf sucks and it owns.
O'Brien gets hosed and it owns.

Anyway Nog is a top tier ST character.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Klingaboo isn't the correct term no, he is a Native though raised abroad Klingotaku .

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

BonHair posted:

Eh, a Japanese boy who was orphaned at six years old and for some reason adopted by Americans would still be a weeabo to me. But it's an extremely dumb discussion, even in the Star Trek thread.

I'm mostly just joking. Worf is just being Worf, comparing everything to his ideal Klingon that exists in his head and having zero chill about it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Yeah and he compares every single Klingon to his Ideal Klingon.

Look at Nog, dude knew his dad was onto something with not being cut out to be the hyper specific Ferengi Quark pretends to be.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

DS9 Last season let's go.

Odo loving sucks still btw.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

ST09 was fine and so was Beyond.

Into Darkness, now that is a pile of poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Dumb but genuine question, how do you still watch things on discs? I cannot remember the last time I even saw an optical drive or a disc. When I was buying parts for my new desktop, there wasn't a single case that even had a slot where you could install a drive. Do you use an external? Are DVD players still a thing?

I got a box copy of Fallout: New Vegas in 2010 and that's probably the last time I've touched physical media. Am I the weird one?

Console or when I do need to run a disk on my pc, external dvd drive.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Only a Paper Moon was some seriously good television, drat.
Dukat is only getting crazier.

Least Odo is the same, he is still a traitor that gets away with things and sucks.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Finished DS9, great show. Shoutout to my boy Nog.

Up next: SPACE 'MURCA; at least based on the first few episodes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

For me it was always the USS Dauntless that was my favourite Voyager ship.

This is my anwser as well, it's just stylish as hell.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Didn't they re-write the warp speed scale like twice now?

TOS warp being reworked for TNG, TNG going fuckit warp 13 or something in the finale. And then we have an obvious new scale cause of... Threshold...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

P sure there was some technobabble that pushing into a next tier of warp takes a lot of power or something
That'd make sense, why always burn through all your space NOS when you don't have the biggest hurry

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

BonHair posted:

which incidentally works with O'Brien being the salt of the earth character.
I think you mean his tears will salt the earth.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

BonHair posted:

Meanwhile, when Troi gets command she doesn't know what to do and basically has to get O'Brien and Ro to tell her how to be in command.
O'Brien having to for lack of better term mansplain her rank to her owns.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I like that she shouldn't/wouldn't be in charge in that situation, but O'Brien disagreed with Ro who outranks him, so he rules-lawyered his friend who just happens to have more pips on her collar into taking command because he knows she'd have to consult him on any decisions not involving the emotional well-being of the crew.

Ro outranked O'Brien at the time? I get he must suffer for he is O'Brien but she was a simple ensign at the time she was introduced. What was O'Brien even doing near the Bridge if he was lower rank.

I know he did get promoted at some point but does this mean my boy Nog outranked him by the end of DS9?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Bashir was a lowkey sex creep (So a trek character) and he deffo became better along time.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Just watched The Inner Light, what an absolute life changing event that must be for Picard. Is it ever discussed or referred to again later? That has to have a huge mental impact on a person.

A fantastic episode.

There is the picard woos a lady with his flute episode but thats p much it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

:same:

One of the best things about Time's Arrow aside from tng edit 23 is how they make it seem like you're going to find out the whole story of why the two of them are such good friends.

Instead you get a cool moment that is clearly just the tip of the iceberg.

Game recognizing Game is the theory I am sticking by.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Just power through Odo enjoying being a fash again and you have fun stuff incoming.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

After the 7of9 has to help the future federation unfuck that one incident and them saying Janeway is extremely reckless with the timeline To the point it drove the guy trying to fix her poo poo insane I can see them putting up more legislation yeah.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

We will see what Trek brings us soon but let me call attention to an all time great: Far Beyond the Stars
What an episode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I have thought about this long and hard

How is Nog not in the sole SSS++ tier.