Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The only way to enjoy ENT is to watch SF Debris' opinionated reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I will only accept this if Spock also yells "The women!" after a transporter malfunction.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

"For today's Engineering test, you have six hours to detach a giant space amoeba baby from your ship before the rest of its kind destroy you. Good luck."

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sash! posted:

I like the idea that the unused Voyager episode had: they were a weapons system designed to be so formidable that no one would dare attack, because their fleet and soldiers would just become more weapons for the controllers. Except things got out of hand and when the controllers were assimilated, they went all Skynet.

Is there more information on this? It actually sounds kinda interesting.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Been watching through TNG the last few months and I'm really sad that Worf/Troi never got the chance to take off.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

"New Eden" was probably the best Prime Directive episode since TOS.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Also, was this the first time since TOS that they've alluded to religion in the Federation?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

If someone were to watch exactly one episode of star trek, which should it be?

The Measure of a Man

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wasn't the big thing about Section 31 that nobody knew about it?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Janeway has two first officers, two engineers, and no doctors. Meanwhile Kirk has Worf, The Violent-Vulcan, and One-Punch OBrian. These teams seem lopsided.

But Janeway also has Paris, who can do any and all jobs needed because he took a one-semester course ten years ago on it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I accidently sat through the Storyteller, which may be the worst DS9 episode.

"Let He Who is Without Sin..." and "Profit and Lace" would like a word with you.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Astroman posted:

Delta Flyer uniforms were the best fite me:

Have you forgotten the power of the skant?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

The episode mentions that Republic is the normal training ship which based on the name and the implied age (it was already old af in the 2320s since it hasn't even left the solar system since then) would probably make it one of the original connies which I can't imagine being that much older than Mirandas as a class.

It's the same ship Kirk served on as an ensign, so if its not a connie its one of the half-dozen or so Disco ship types.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

The true outrage of all this is that the Trek / Green Lantern crossover isn't Alpha Canon.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

The big thing that I think star trek is silly with geography wise is something I always think of when I play stellaris - who the gently caress is on the other side of the romulans and Klingons and why don't they expand that way instead?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

So, with the existence of Section 31, what does Starfleet Intelligence do all day?

Try to find Section 31.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

About how long from start of production does it take a show to air?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

I will not watch Orville so long as Seth McFarlane exists in the space-time continuum.

:emptyquote:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Tunicate posted:

humans sometimes have money in trek, sometimes they don't, it all depends on who was writing that day and what was more convenient for the plot

Like when Beverly in "Encounter at Farpoint" charges a dress to her account aboard the Enterprise.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The summary given by Kurtzman is so drat stupid; a group of teens find a derelict starfleet ship and decide to use it for their own adventures.

It’s gonna be so drat bad :cripes:

Isn't that the plot summary of the cancelled 90's animated show?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's a whole new bag of worms since they establish that somehow this network connects between the Prime universe and the Mirror universe

Not just those, but all alternate realities.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Info on 'Picard', Disco S3, 'Lower Decks', and more coming up at SDCC

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

If he's consulting on ST TV I wonder if he had any involvement in this last season, since one of his novels is extremely similar to the plot of S2 of Discovery with the Section 31 stuff

Are his books any good?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

marktheando posted:

Is the genetic engineering guy from Enterprise the only Klingon scientist we have seen on screen?

One of the scientists in Suspicions was a Klingon.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

7 "new" details about STP

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Why is Mirror Tuvok there? He was canonically still in the Mirror Alpha Quadrant, as seen on that DS9 episode.

:colbert:

This is his brother, Threevok.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are three confirmed Romulan members of the 'main' cast, so we're definitely going to be dealing with the destruction of Romulus/maybe the fall of the Romulan Empire?

Maybe some Tal Shiar people get a hold of that derelict Borg cube to use it as a weapon against the Federation or something

I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with those ships that are approaching what looks like Mars

That's literally one of the storylines in Star Trek Online

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CptAwesome posted:

the bajorans are using cultural marxism to weaken and corrupt ferengi society. comrade rom is already quoting from the communist manifesto

Didn't he get that from either O'Brien or Bashir, though?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Well, an artificial singularity. Not one powerful enough to be a black hole I assume, or Romulan ships wouldn't so much explode as vanish into themselves and try their damnedest to drag anything in their vicinity in too

One of the best things about STO is that Romulan ships actually do this when destroyed.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It's weird they didn't use the Ambassador class more often once they had the model, there's lots of times when they used an Excelsior in TNG when an Ambassador would've fit better and made it feel like Starfleet wasn't all hundred year old ships. I think the model might've been messed up? But it did show up a few rare times more.

According to Memory Alpha, the Ambassador-class model was of less quality than normal due to time restraints (they had less than two weeks to make the Enterprise-C model). Combined with normal wear and tear during filming meant that the model just became too busted to do filming with.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Chah-kah-tay and Tuwok

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Watching TOS season 2 and I get the feeling Gene wanted to write Sliders about 30 years too early.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ramadu posted:

So I'm finally getting around to watching TOS after trying probably a dozen times before and it just never clicked.

This show is bugfuck crazy. Every episode of season 1 so far is absolutely insane frommstart to finish and I'm pretty much just :stare: the whole time. Kirk is nothing like what I was expecting from popular culture references and jjtrek. Balance of terror and what are little girls made of are probably my favorite episodes with a nod to that weird proto q episode but he's space Napoleon.

I'm on episode...28 I think, city on the edge of forever or something, supposed to be good and famous and also I guess some famous scifi author has been yelling about how much better his script was for 40 years

Wait'll you get to TAS. I can sometimes smell the hash from my tablet.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I love that Odo apparently had that ready just in case Worf ever decided to get pissy.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I really hope the new animated series dies what TAS did and lean hard on 'poo poo we can't do in a live action series'.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

marktheando posted:

I think that If Lower Decks has lovely animation, that won’t matter if the writing is good.

I mean TAS has some of the worst cheapest animation I’ve seen and it’s great.

:emptyquote:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

Downside: Promenade no longer has handrails on the balcony

And is directly over a reactor core for some reason.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Where does all this dystopic stuff about Earth being like the hyper nanny state where nobody ever has privacy and big brother is expected to react instantly to someone fall down scrape their knee come from? The way it's described sounds like a sequel to 1984 not Star Trek

Internet nerds being terrible people

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, right, there's another animated Star Trek coming out on Nick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I had no particular love or animus toward him to begin with, and he's... fine? :shrug: I've never understood the visceral reaction some people have.

Because everything else he's been involved in is either unfunny dogshit or actively offensive, and it's hard to know how much of that was him and how much was the other people on those shows.