Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Nessus posted:

More stuff here if we need it at any point.

Walk of shame from the last thread:

Oh, cool! I made it this time!

Pretty big gap between the 1000+ club and the 600s, though.

Um, real content...poo poo, I dunno. Here's my holistic ranking of the Trek series from favorite to least favorite:

DS9
TNG
TOS
VOY
ENT
(TAS not included b/c I've only seen like 2 episodes ever)

And the films:

Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered Country
First Contact
Voyage Home
Star Trek
The Motion Picture
Search for Spock
Generations
Into Darkness
Final Frontier
Insurrection*
Nemesis*

(*I have no interest in ever watching again unless under extreme duress, such as if I have a kid who REALLY wants to see them)

And to channel my 11-year-old self, my favorite starships in terms of coolness of appearance:

Excelsior
Enterprise-A/refit
Enterprise-E
Reliant
Enterprise-TOS
Enterprise-D
Defiant
Enterprise-ENT
Voyager
Grissom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well, I watched basically all of Voyager from age 10 to age 16, developed an appreciation for the characters, and was invested in how the series turned out. Enterprise I lost interest in after the first season, and only picked up a few episodes here and there. Season 4 was good, when I watched it 3 years after the show ended, but there's a big chunk of the show I've never watched and don't intend to.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Baka-nin posted:

In addition to the other comments there's also a two parter in late TNG called the Birthright that starts at DS9, I lack of knowledge of DS9 shouldn't be very confusing but it does mean the first five or ten minutes are kinda of padding before the A and B plots kick in.

Oh and like the Maquis a bunch of Cardassian episode in TNG help flesh them out for DS9 and a few minor Cardassian characters show up in both series while they were both running. But its not important to know them before hand.

Doctor Bashir actually figures prominently into Birthright Part I. He helps Data test out his dream subroutines, and then promises to give him co-author credit when he publishes an academic paper on it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That's a really good point. If we have transporter technology, or even maglev technology, then someone could live in Schenectady but beam/maglev into Manhattan once or twice a week to see Broadway shows, eat at restaurants (presumably there would be a waiting list for reservations, which wouldn't cost anything but you'd have to wait your turn), go to museums, etc.

The only drawback I see in the post-scarcity economy is that things like restaurants and museums would have long waiting lists - but in a world where there's no significant time/effort difference between going to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, the Getty Villa in Malibu, or Art Basel in Miami, there is bound to be SOMEWHERE worth going that a) you haven't seen yet and b) has an opening when you want to go.

EDIT: or, like, you could decide you wanted to see a UNESCO heritage site this afternoon, and you could bring up the website that tells you which ones have space left for today, and it turns out you can go to Mesa Verde or Angkor Wat at 2:00pm followed by a 4:00pm visit to Pompeii (which you've been to before, but the House of the Surgeon was closed last time and you really just need 45 minutes to check it out) so, why the hell not? Beam on down!

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 6, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Approximately 9 billion, all Borg.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yes, exactly.

If we had HD holographic technology, then you could see live theater like you go to a movie. Frankly, I wish it were easier to see live theater at the cinema, since I still haven't managed to it on one of the Met Opera or RSC nights.

poo poo, sports would be amazing. EDIT: obviously I would replay the 2000 AUS vs NZ game from Sydney. If I got drunk enough I might even try to tackle holo-Lomu (Holomu?) with the safeties disengaged.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 6, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

tigersklaw posted:

Is Nog a dual citizen? I recall that when Nog said he wanted to join Starfleet, Sisko said he would need a recommendation from an officer cuz at the time he wasn't a Federation citizen. Obviously he got it, graduated from the Academy and so on. He fights for the Federation in the Dominion War and never seems to care about being a Ferengi again. How does that work? Did he become a citizen later and I just missed it?

I believe RDM or maybe ISB said he was probably a Federation citizen by season...6?

edit: here it is - http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Nog#Background_information

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MikeJF posted:

Just attach engines to your house and keep the party going forever.

You mean like the Night Crew?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Man early TNG was so drat ugly before they figured out a good looking color scheme for the Okudagrams.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Where in ST canon is Sulu implied or shown to be straight?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Cythereal posted:

I can buy that we've seen plenty of gay and bi characters, we just haven't seen them act on it for *reasons*. The actors for Riker, Garak, Bashir, Jadzia, Seven of Nine, and Malcom Reed have all claimed they saw the character as bisexual or even pansexual.

Garak is quite clearly into dudes, and Jadzia Dax kisses a woman and has several sensual massages from another one. Seven of Nine probably has no fixed sexual orientation because she hasn't figured it out yet - hence her making a pass at Harry Kim.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Riker I'm sure would gently caress anything with legs.

I'm not sure lack of legs would get in the way.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MrJacobs posted:

I tought Garak was bi-sexual since he also had a thing for Dukat's daughter in addition to hard on for Bashir.

Right, sorry. I meant in addition to his on-screen romance with Ziyal.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah I think Andrew Robinson said he felt Garak would simply see Julian as a very attractive person (both in terms of his looks, and because of his intelligence, personality, etc.) and his gender wasn't especially important.

I wish DS9 were being made now, on like Netflix or something, and Robinson could have really explored that character. He seems like a smart and thoughtful person (from his talks, and from the book he wrote - in which Garak is also clearly not straight despite having an attraction to one of the female characters) and a good actor besides; given what he brought to a syndicated 90s TV show, I can only imagine what he'd be able to add to a show with more freedom in terms of content and format.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just watched "Relics" and how the hell were they able to just let Scotty go like that? Starfleet Command would poo poo themselves to get their hands on him.

He'd been retired for like 75 years by that point. He's under no obligation to do what Starfleet Command tells him any more, and besides, he'd probably sabotage any ship that tried to chase after him like he did with the Excelsior.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Thom12255 posted:

Scotty remarks in Star Trek Judgement Rites that he is worried about his pension.

It was a funny remark.

Oh poo poo, did Scotty never get to use the boat he bought right before the beginning of ST6? :ohdear:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Maybe. Or maybe he's just so fed up with Chang's incessant Shakespeare quoting that he uses a very strong colorful metaphor.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

"I don't like the blacks but I sure would like to have sex with one."

- Earth, Jefferson, 1795

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think the point is, that's not an uncommon sentiment...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Which Merritt? Stephen Merritt from the Magnetic Fields? Nathan Merritt formerly of the South Sydney Rabbitohs?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
But seriously, I wish people would just let more stories be retold in different versions without the differences having to be explained somehow. The X-Men movies have had weird time fuckery too, though the Spider-Man movies haven't and they've been rebooted TWICE.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Star Trek needs to get its head out of its rear end, seriously.

It's just about spaceships and exploring poo poo and the human condition expressed via alien cultures. It doesn't matter what is or is not canon.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah no loving kidding.

Saavik (which amusingly my phone autocorrects to David) isn't a real person, who cares if she looks like Rebecca Howe or like Tallera/T'paal. Come the gently caress on.

I mean jfc

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty much. CBS got their turn, time to squeeze out what's left.

I believe they were still the same company at the time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Timby posted:

DS9 was hardly "successful." It's the best Trek television show, by far, but no one watched it.

Kent on Veep seems to have liked it--it got a great shoutout at the end of season 5.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It's not a schooner it's a sloop.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
drat a Yesterday's Enterprise film with the Ent-A coming through the time rift and with the actual Narendra III battle scene shown on screen would have been baller af.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The Dark One posted:

I wonder how much money they blew filming that skydiving scene with Kirk.

It's okay, they got to reuse the suit in the Voyager episode "Extreme Risk"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
And McCoy saying "What is it with you anyway?"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hyperriker posted:

I always lose my poo poo about how good Picard's quarters looked with the Amargosa sunlight flooding through the windows. Absolutely terrific. Guinan's room as well.

Plus,

These are definitely my favorite Trek uniforms bar none.

So on the TNG vs TOS front, what if the Ent-D had, in the course of attempting to stop a Borg temporal experiment, been thrown back in time to 2293 (i.e. right after the end of ST6 when Kirk and co. are on their slightly illegal farewell cruise) and the ship gets infiltrated by the Borg like in STFC (but in this version the Borg ship blows up because something goes awry with the experiment, not because the Enterprise is suddenly powerful enough to blow it up with four torpedoes) and then the rest of the plot involves the TNG crew and the TOS crew getting shuffled around as they struggle to defeat the Borg and prevent them from using an unholy combination of 24th century and Borg technology to rewrite the history of the last 80 years--thus saving the legacy of Kirk's crew.

So you'd get a McCoy/Data pairing (and the emotion chip could be part of that, but done better i.e. Bones shows Data how to work with his emotions rather than against them) and maybe a Worf/Spock pairing, which I always wanted to see myself because they actually have a great deal in common. And of course Kirk and Picard, with more attention paid to their different styles of leadership and decision making and how each can work when applied correctly.

You could see an Ent-A vs Ent-D battle, but one of the ships would be under Borg control so the crews wouldn't actually be fighting each other. Some could be on the occupied ship trying to bring it down from inside, others would be on the other ship (or the Excelsior!) pooling their tactical and engineering nous to defeat the Borg.

Just some thoughts.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Asmodai_00 posted:

STID = STD ???

STID = STI, that's the preferred term among the medical profession these days

e: oh poo poo trap sprung

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Instant Sunrise posted:

Something like First Contact's "slowly converting the Enterprise into a borg ship" would have been so much more effective with the Ent D instead of the brand new Enterprise E.

Because the Enterprise D is a ship that the viewers have come to know over 7 years of TV, and watching it slowly get turned into a Borg ship before Picard has to sacrifice it via self-destruct would be so much more powerful emotionally.

Yes, this; I was thinking this in my cursory write-up earlier but forgot to point it out. And of course that's how you can get the two ships fighting each other without one crew having to be the villain.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Rhyno posted:

Someone took "dress uniform" a little too seriously.

Some people look good in a dress.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Subyng posted:

Like star trek has actually ever played by the rules of gow things move in space

The issue being pointed out in that quote is not that the spaceships don't move realistically, it's that the motion of the spaceships is not effective for dramatic or narrative purposes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
What's really ironic is that Riker already had a genetically identical duplicate the whole time!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
You don't have to pretend stuff you don't like didn't happen because it actually did not happen. That's what the "fiction" in "science fiction" means.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That's why it's science fiction and not, despite what various Trekspergs might wish, a history of the future.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah the UT in STB works like we've always fanwanked the UTs in prior Trek would work. But in this movie they have the budget and the good sense to actually depict it that way.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It's not clear that there's any Klingon influence, or whatever the hell people are saying. It does appear to be inspired by the Ralph McQuarrie design, for some reason I cannot fathom.

Really amateurish CGI too. No idea what they're thinking with that, but bad CGI doesn't necessarily mean bad acting, writing, or direction (though in B5 it certainly did...)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Pfft, Dabo is a child's game. Tongo is where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Only Apollo knows