Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
DIS hasn't lived up to the premise about T'Kuvma's point of view of the Federation. They briefly state in dialogue about how the Federation was encroaching on the Klingon way of life and will eventually assimilate the Klingon culture, but they don't really make the case in the show so far. There's parallels to be made with people in certain parts of the country feeling 'left behind', whose way of life is being threatened by migrants and refugees. ISIS can also be similarly seen as a strong reaction against the cultural/influence of the West. As far as we know, the only disciples of T'Kuvma left are in L'rell and Voq. When Voq finally reawakens in Tyler and integrates, he'll symbolically be the child of two cultures. Maybe that's how this Klingon war ends for now.

I'm generally enjoying Discovery, but some parts feel under-cooked to me.

It's also interesting that there's a not dissimilar backlash against both Discovery and The Last Jedi.

Impossible to please all the fans.
There's a reason they're called 'fanatics'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Apparently cast breakdowns for the Picard Show is out.

Edit: Nevermind, the source doesn't seem that solid, and there's no confirmation from other outlets.

E2: Here it is anyway, for those curious.

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2019/03/01/picard-series-character-update/

I'm not finding anything particularly clickbaity on the website, but it's still an obscure outlet.

xerxus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 2, 2019

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

xerxus posted:

Apparently cast breakdowns for the Picard Show is out.

Edit: Nevermind, the source doesn't seem that solid, and there's no confirmation from other outlets.

E2: Here it is anyway, for those curious.

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2019/03/01/picard-series-character-update/

I'm not finding anything particularly clickbaity on the website, but it's still an obscure outlet.

We're getting whisperings of confirmation from the above.

https://twitter.com/ScottCollura/status/1102693313075965958?s=19

https://twitter.com/ScottCollura/status/1102697082052374528?s=19

I'm looking forward to K'Bar.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Noah Hawley, the creator of FX's Fargo and Legion, has been hired to direct the new Star Trek movie, which continues in the JJTrek universe.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/star-trek-noah-hawley-directing-writing-sequel-jj-abrams-chris-pine-paramount-1202785280/

This has obviously been in the works for a bit.

I wonder if it has or will affect a potential Pike series. Will CBS/Viacom want two different versions of live action Spock at the same time?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
No more Star Trek related deaths please, universe.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-picard-renewed-season-2-at-cbs-all-access-1268720

quote:

Ahead of its Jan. 23 series debut, CBS All Access announced Sunday during its time at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour that it has officially renewed its Patrick Stewart-led Star Trek drama for season two. Sources say the drama has also received early orders to begin work on season three, which will likely be filmed back to back with the sophomore drama with production not very brief a hiatus between cycles.

'12 Monkeys' alum Terry Matalas has also boarded the series as showrunner for the Patrick Stewart drama's sophomore run, filling the void created by Michael Chabon's planned departure. Sources also note producers have been given an informal green light to begin work on season three.

He's also a producer on Syfy's Blood Drive, which was real good.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Showtime is also a ViacomCBS property, so the company must have been impressed by his work.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
When something is 'vaporized' what happens to the matter?

Like if a metal box was vaporized, does this mean people are breathing in metal fumes?

and breathing in people if someone gets shot?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Given what we know about he Ferengi, how possible is it for Rom to actually effectively change society?

Getting a 'progressive' Grand Nagus doesn't mean much if the systemic forces are 100% against any kind of reform.

Just think there's probably 1000 other people just like Brunt who are opportunists and want to maintain status quo.

Is it more likely that Rom gets ganked, or that he ineffectually 'rules' and people don't follow his example?

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think another thing that's not talked about is that a utopia does not mean it is a benevolent society. The Federation treats its citizens very well, but is less concerned about people outside of its territory, and it raises the question of how far will you go to maintain your utopia.

They do let non-Federation but human colonies devolve into rape planets. As long as the last functioning government says no to Federation involvement, they are perfectly fine just ignoring massive suffering.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Threshold's "story by" is the current chairman of MGM, and was the president of New Line Cinema during the time.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

Isn't discovery being run by like 50 people?

That is one spooky silent ship.

Discovery's crew compliment is 136 in Season 1, and 88 at the start of Season 3.

Other than the massive turbolift junction which should take up a city block, the vast majority of space is probably taken by science labs. Had the record for most "discrete scientific missions" for a ship at over 300

Stamet's fungal lab is huge.

And Lorca's lab was on a deck that's so rarely used that the lights were automatically off.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know what the difference is between the two Trek threads so forgive me if this is the wrong thread:

I recently started watching DS9 for the first time. It's ok, but I'm only at the end of the first season so far. Then I saw this:

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/exclusives/star-trek-deep-space-nine-remaster/

Is this a legit website or is this bullshit? I would think that legit news of a DS9 remaster would be everywhere, as opposed to really only reported on by one site. If it's true, I'll probably wait and continue my watching once the remaster is out.

I've been following this person's trek leaks for a while and they've been largely accurate.

Definitely has an insider as they've shown me some leaked casting videos before.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
That there exists a category of "proto-Vulcans" like the Mintakans lends credence to the idea that Arretans did in fact seed a bunch of 'Vulcanoids' across the galaxy... Meaning that Vulcans did not originate from Vulcan.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Turns out it's just the Kazon because they are that stupid.

I recently got to the Season 4 episode where Seven said that the Kazon were too lame to be worthy of assimilation according to the Borg

It definitely wasn't just the Kazon.

Neelix was very excited at the concept of enough water to take a bath. (his first in years, probably?)

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I forgot he was drinking his own bathwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

xerxus posted:

The first 5 episode titles for Strange New Worlds has been released along with synopsis.

EP #1 ‘Strange New Worlds’
“Captain Christopher Pike comes out of self-imposed exile to rescue an officer gone missing during a secret mission.”

EP #2 ‘Children of the Comet’
“An ancient alien relic thwarts the Enterprise crew from re-routing a comet on track to strike an inhabited planet.”

EP #3 ‘Ghosts of Illyria’
“Una must confront a secret she’s been hiding when a contagion ravages the ship, incapacitating the rest of the crew.”

EP #4 ‘Momento Mori’
“Pike must find unconventional Starfleet methods to deal with a malevolent force that attacks the Enterprise.”

EP #5 ‘SPOCK AMOK’
A personal visit causes a comedy of errors during Spock & Pike’s crucial negotiations with an unusual alien species.

Everything I've seen from the marketing has been great so far.