Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: turns out it has been mentioned. The Greatest Generation is awesome. I wish they'd put the episode name in the title; I don't memorize production numbers.

Related, does anyone listen to Mission Log? For some reason I've become increasingly bored of them, which is weird since they are just getting into the meat of TNG that I like.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pokemaster #421 posted:

And that's to say nothing of the nerdy flipper alien that outright blackmailed him into humping when he was in that alien hospital. Actually finding the guest stars he didn't nail might be the shorter list

This isn't really a Riker Thing, though. An alien Bebe Neuwirth is still Bebe Neuwirth, and no man would turn that down.

Question about The Greatest Generation to those who have listened longer: do the hosts actually dislike Mission Log, or is it a joke? I was listening to an episode last night where their joke about not being invited to some podcast thing turned from "Heh, that's funny" to "This is getting uncomfortable" rather quickly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've always wondered why fighting with giant q-tips was the "ultimate form of martial arts"

After WW3, humanity mildly mutated to have denser than normal ear wax. As such, Q-tips became much more valued, as they weren't able to be produced because of all the warfare. People regularly fought and killed each other over them.

Over time, they were able to be produced and all was well, but humanity never forgot fighting over sticks with round tuffs on the end. So as new forms of ritual combat came up, they used the the same shape they once killed over.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Dark One posted:

They're very much in the pro-Roddenberry camp and Ken has been expressing increasing discomfort with the character-based storytelling of many of the episodes that were written after Gene's death. It's a big aggravating.

Yeah, I think this is part of it. Didn't they do a special episode kvetching about how someone said that it was for the best that TNG was saved by Roddenberry being pushed out of the way and/or dying?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have a friend who loves Voyager and feels a soul bond with Kate Mulgrew

Yes it is creepy why do you ask

Soul bonds aside, I'm pretty sure this thread (or an earlier incarnation of it) had a bunch of stories involving goons shocked (shocked, I say) that their friends/family/loved ones like Voyager and didn't like DS9. It was doubly amusing when the very things that they liked DS9 for were why that other person didn't.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 20, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

The funniest part of the last episode was the show itself recognising that Frakes was to fat and beardy to play a younger version of himself.

It makes the gimmick of having the Enterprise finale feature Frakes portraying middle-TNG Riker all the more boggling.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 22, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mental Hospitality posted:

There's been an update to the Stage9 project. I messed around with it earlier and the creator hid some neat little easter eggs in it. There's nothing to really do except wander around in some very nicely done sets. It's still loaded with bugs, but the guy working on this has said he's hooked up with more people, and would like to recreate some of the more elaborate Ent-D parts that we never got to see on the show.

I both love and was understandably confused when the painting in Worf's room changes, just like in that episode.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 23, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Remember when being on a Trek show was such a great gig that you would quit a paying gig on the chance that you might get a shot at being cast?

Has being on Trek really been that great a gig? I've always assumed that it's kinda a blessing and a curse in that if you're not exceedingly good at avoiding being typecast as whatever you did on the show, you're screwed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

What you have to understand is that Voyager was created as a reaction to DS9. DS9's ratings were not as good as next gen's, thus voyager needs to do the opposite in every respect. The 50 year mission book really lays it out. Like the whole guiding principle to voyager was "Don't' be like ds9, which is bad and not a clone of next gen which means it's not REAL TREK"

Both DS9 and Voyager were desperately trying to get to the position TNG had: legitimately mainstream Trek that everyone watched and liked. No three year stint and done, no movies, but actual honest-to-God mainstream Trek.

Deep Space 9 tried to do that by being Not Your Dad's Star Trek. The kind of Trek where Superman would die and Venom would be a regular, and the villans of What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and The American Way as the heroes.

Voyager tried to do that by aping TNG as hard as it could, with episodic plots and relying on basically three characters (The Captain, The Borg, and the Doctor) for all the depth it could muster. If DS9 was an attempt to shake things up, Voyager was comfortable Trek. Given how often we hear talk in this thread about someone shocked that they liked Voyager more than DS9, I think they succeeded in that respect.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit of a crosspost from a Trek-related derail in a thread in PYF:

Jedit posted:

There's a long standing rumour/myth that Gates McFadden and Marina Sirtis made a bet on who could get Wil Wheaton's virginity. And McFadden won. :barf:

No idea if it's true or not, but it reminds me about how Florence Henderson went on a date with one of her Brady Bunch sons at some point, and one of the other sons dated one of the daughters on the show, because "We play brother and sister on TV' wasn't enough to kill attraction between coworkers.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 28, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

It's been a while since I've watched my DVDs/commentaries, why did they write out Scotty and replace him with Welshie from that episode, anyway? Did James Doohan (if he was still alive at that point) not give permission for his likeness/character?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Conspiracy is an interesting duck because (at Roddenberry's insistence) it's not a conspiracy. It's an alien invasion, because the notion of humans betraying their fellow humans? gently caress that!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

I hate that we'll never get an HD remaster. I mean, I get why, but it sucks.

Was there more of a reason than the TNG ones didn't sell well at all?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also, the pricing needed to be updated again to reflect modern sensibilities. Paramount was able to get away with $100 season boxsets when the DVDs first came out because season boxsets were still relatively novel, and because it was still a screaming good deal compared to what a season set on VHS would have run you. That just wasn't the case any more for a multitude of reasons.

This is part of the reason why I only picked up a few seasons of the BRs. I was the core market for the things (didn't have the DVDs, a sucker for bonus / extra content, and the price was enough for me to back away.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always found it interesting that something people kvetched about with Star Trek - that characters rarely moved on from the ship - is something that SeaQuest did, and it got knocked for characters leaving each season.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MorgaineDax posted:

For anyone still thinking about it and is on the fence, these two books are amazing.

I bought them both today.

I wasn't expecting to suddenly own two books I could probably kill someone with. Jesus wept.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

This is one of those things that makes a lot more sense when you keep some historical perspective in mind. The kind of eugenics that "Space Seed" was trafficking in wasn't benevolent advancement of the whole human race via scientific achievement, it was racist elevation of the ubermensch by eliminating the undesirables from gene pool dressed up in a facade of scientific respectability.

Human society in Trek makes a bit more sense when you posit that, as a species, they never quite got over World War 3 and the Eugenics Wars.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there anywhere I can find a rather unbiased just-the-facts history of why Shatner was hated by some of the rest of the cast? Sometimes I read that they were upset that Kirk/Spock/McCoy got too much focus, some say Shatner was an rear end in a top hat, some say Shatner just didn't spend time with those he didn't connect to. It's all so slapdash that I don't feel like I have the full picture.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Just the idea that they thought they could make Riker and Troy look like they did 12 years prior is insulting. And the EntD sets were terrible.

This was my ultimate beef with it. You want to put the last episode of your series into an earlier one? OK, that's reasonably clever. But when your central earlier-series cast cannot physically look like they did twelve years ago, because it actually was twelve years ago, you need to stop and rethink the whole thing.

For fucks sake, the episode they set it with wasn't that damned good in the first place.

E: I will say I liked the very end with different Enterprises and different captains saying the intro speech. That was OK.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 4, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's probably because of the fact that my last arc run of DS9 was ages ago, but why did the Federation keep going through the wormhole once they realized that it pointed into the territory of a dangerous murder faction? The minute you realize you're in someone else's turf and they don't want you there, you say "sorry, I didn't know", you turn around, and you lock the magical door behind you. That way, the Dominion is just a race way out there, you're way out here, and nobody is gonna have an issue with anyone.

Oh, and another DS9 question: was the Defiant mandated by the higher ups? I thought the draw of the series was that it was a central location rather than a ship, but half the episodes I remember are "We were tooling around in the Defiant and found this hosed up thing".

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 11, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^^ Oh, I know that, and rightfully so. I was just wondering if they were leaned on to make it actual Trek, or if they did it on their own.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Questions like that are answered in that Star Trek 50 book. Highly recommend

I'm about a hundred pages into the first Star Trek 50 book, which is why I asked now so I don't have to wait until way later. :colbert:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I finally got to the episode that inspired our thread title in my TNG watch-through and what a stinker. Worse than any season one episode for sure.

I remember liking that episode because I was 11, without the internet, and here's a redhead writhing around on TV in ways that I liked and wasn't really sure why.

The thing is, I think it could've been a decent episode. A life form that had attached itself to a family for generations, to the point of inherently loving each of them, and them loving it back? Is it right to deny it such an existence, when both are happy?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What are a handful of solid non-arc episodes of DS9? I'm kinda bored and want to watch some of a series I generally haven't bothered with, but not bored enough for a grimdark war arc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I wonder how much of the first few seasons of DS9 was O'Brien trying to make sense of Cardassian wiring diagrams and tech manuals.

Rewatching bits of DS9 makes me wonder why they didn't (in and out of universe) pull out the Cardassian panels and replace them with Federation ones somewhere up or down the road. The whole brown-and-red-and-green color scheme on everything isn't very pleasing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I never dug the Federation = Root Beer thing. It's just so coy, like how Sims games refer to alcohol as 'juice' or whatever. If you're going to try and be a more mature Trek, just say that humans drink alcohol. Who the gently caress drinks root beer that much, anyway?

WampaLord posted:

I think you guys are underestimating how much work replacing all of the systems of an entire space station is.

I don't care, the whole visual look of DS9 as a station is ugly. I get the point of it, since it wasn't a Federation space station, but you're not going to keep an ugly paint scheme around just because the former owners liked it. Hell, tell the Bajorans that you're doing it so you don't have to see Cardassian typeface on every panel every day.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 20, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

But the point is that root beer is cloyingly sweet. The analogy kinda falls apart if you just talk about booze

My point is that it only works as an analogy. The minute you claim that root beer is actually the drink of choice for Starfleet or its cadets, I'm rolling my eyes.

I'll buy into the notion of warp drives and alien wormholes long before I buy into the notion of root beer as a drink of choice popular enough to be a human stereotype.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 20, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

No one claims this.

According to Memory Alpha, there's plenty of times people bring up root beer as a Federation drink, either earnestly (Quark wishes the humans were back so that he could sell the stuff, for example) or mockingly (as a Klingon does to someone he feels isn't Klingon enough).

You said it yourself, other folks drink other things. More realistic things than root beer.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, is Jack a goon? I need some context here.

I randomly commented how RLM's Plinkett reviews were the thing of theirs I liked least because it was multiple hours of words where "It's Not My Star Wars" would've sufficed. Jack tried to explain how their multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was something other than multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars", which is rather impossible as it is multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars".

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 20, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Yes, this is why you are horribly incorrect, the prequel reviews are not just "It's Not My Star Wars" like everyone tried to tell you, but your brain is broken in a way where once you've determined you are correct you can't be persuaded.

Yes, everyone tried to tell me that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was not actually multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars". Given that it's multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars", the outcome was hardly in doubt.

I can be persuaded (say, from a mock thread there teaching me that a website's community is gross), but surely you don't expect me to believe that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" is more than multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars".

E: vvv because I can be persuaded, when those who disagree come correct about it. If they don't, I'm not persuaded.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 20, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Because the prequel reviews are literally not what you keep saying they are.

Nope, that's what they are. You may think differently (I mean, we both know I'm right, you just don't want to admit it), but I know accurately.

But since RLM isn't known for making hour-long videos about JJTrek not being Star Trek, feel free to PM me about this rather than continue a needless detail in a Trek thread.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 20, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

VanSandman posted:

Don't engage with MisterBibs, he's the dumbest man on the internet. He's choked on hotdogs multiple times as a grown adult.

You seem to have me confused with someone else. I never choked on a hotdog, I've had food impaction problems thanks to having an incurable immune disorder. I wish I didn't have it, but if you have EE, you're going to have food impaction problems (and likely cancer down the line, but whatever).

E: vvv well I'll be damned, I forgot about that one. Not as embarrassing as their SW one, sure, but the same not-my-X one.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 20, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I kinda wish I was in the alternate universe where Shatner didn't get budgetarily screwed making Star Trek V, having read a bunch about it in the 50 Year Mission book and elsewhere.

Good odds that it would still be terrible, but sometimes people talk about things that they had to throw away for budget reasons, and it just seems interesting.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, if I took a drink every time this happened in The Fifty Year Mission, I'd be dead:

Writer: Gene was an rear end.
Producer: Gene was an rear end, and personally screwed me over.
Another Writer: Gene was super nice to me, but you didn't work there and not see him being an rear end and screwing people over.
Rod: I don't understand why everyone says my dad was an rear end.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Eh, Babylon 5 did this right, I'd argue. They had the human characters love a form of humor that the audience wouldn't get, on the basis that of course you wouldn't get it. You're siding with the aliens going :wtc: over zooty-zoot-zoots and stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

We get a few bits of info about Parrises Squares, too.

I know it was intentionally obscured, but part of me really wanted a concrete answer to what the gently caress that game was. Not just to cross ts and dot is, but we got just enough that I never figured out how the crumbs we knew connected together to form a game that folks regularly treated as dangerous.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just got to the DS9 section of The Fifty Year Mission book. As a lapsed comic book reader, it's funny how one of the director tries to justify the series as Batman to TNG's Superman.

I mean, I kinda see it, but wouldn't a more accurate analogy be TNG's Spider-Man to DS9's Venom/Carnage?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Rom's sideway tooth on his lower jaw upsets me every time I see it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oh man. Martok Changeling learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to break stealth in a stealth mission frivolously.

Its like in XCOM (the old one) where you'd position half your squad outside the alien spaceship for 15 turns so they start coming out wondering where you are. blamblamblamblam

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

If she wants to get ahead, she needs to take chances, stand out in a crowd, get noticed.

This explains 2016. We're in the alternate timeline Q made to teach the Queen a valuable lesson!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish they had gone the route that Serena had feelings for Jack, as it was a plot point the first time they were around. Although as I type this, there's somewhat of an icky "people with disabilities should stay with others like them" message there...