Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like Pulaski more than Crusher but that's more a condemnation of Crusher for being extremely boring. The only good episode I can think of focused on her is the one with the warp bubble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The best explanation I've heard is that while basic needs and sufficient luxuries are freely available, if you want to satisfy intangibles like ambition or obtaining the respect of your peers, or something limited, like real estate, you better go get a job

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like Vic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't bother with warp drive, just beam ships from place to place

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Weren't cloaking devices presented as a new technology in TOS?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does Farsi spill over into Iraq? I thought pretty much all of Iraq spoke Arabic and Farsi was limited to Iran.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sash! posted:

Honestly, there's no freaking way the Academy is big enough to handle the sheer number of cadets you'd have to have to keep that fleet running, so a throwaway line to say he's basically in Space ROTC would make sense.

What they don't tell you is that all of earth is basically one big college town for starfleet academy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

As a kid it took me forever to realize that people didn't think Bashir was white.

Wait, people think that? Like I knew on a conscious level that racial divisions are basically bullshit but this really drives it home

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Hydronium posted:

I might just end up doing that anyway, but I was more wondering what a good representative list looked like rather than just worthwhile episodes. Like for Voyager I would include Threshold because it's famously bad.

If you want famously bad episodes, that's code of honor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

After The War posted:

The fact that they had been completely isolationist for decades before TNG Season 1 is one thing they (mostly) stuck with, it helped to keep some air of mystery about them.

It's a very Federation thing to do to honor a non-proliferation treaty made with a state you haven't had diplomatic relations with for a generation, during which time you fight at least two wars and meet the borg

e: and then continue honoring it through the entire dominion war too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

I think it would be great if eventually Fed ships were just big bridge bubbles in the middle of a wide saucer, with no visible engines. A bright transporter-ray would deposit away-teams onto the surface, to take specimens from local livestock and rural inhabitants for examination onboard.

The Enterprise K will move itself entirely by using the transporters to transport everything but the transporters, then replicating a new transporter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The original post for Darth Binks made the claim that it was probably something Lucas originally planned, but then backed away from after the Phantom Menace because making such a universally hated character a major focus of the next movies would have been a disaster. If anybody is making the claim that Jar Jar is the evil mastermind behind the prequels as they actually exist then that's pretty laughable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was hoping it wouldn't be cross platform so I wouldn't be tempted to get a PSVR to play it with my friends on Vive

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Not being able to use contractions is the stupidest loving thing

Linguistically they're not any harder to use than any other part of English. Unless he has the language literally hardcoded into him at a very basic level there's no reason he shouldn't be able to pick up contractions as easily as he picks up any other aspect of the language

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just watched the trailer. Is there some subtle color-coding on the uniforms that I missed, or are they all the same? I was pretty disappointed with the uniforms in general

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Was it just a fan theory that each whole-number warp factor was supposed to represent some sort of physical breakpoint? Like, crossing the light barrier is hard, so that's warp 1. Then there's some other speed that's also hard to break, and that's warp 2. And there's 9 of these so warp 10 is infinite speed because that's the only remaining speed you can't reach by adding more power to existing technologies

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The B plot comes up again (in a very good episode in I think season 6) but I don't think the A plot ever does

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've done at least 5 complete watches of DS9 and I have no recollection of The Muse at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I think it is funny that some random planet wanted to charge everyone to use the wormhole just because it was around their system.

It's not like they built it.

If I see a magical portal that just happened to open up in my neighbor's backyard that could instantly transport me to work everyday, you bet your rear end I would just jump the fence and use it.

I mean, countries regulate and tax travel on waterways in their territory in the real world

It seems like a pretty similar situation to me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I suspect that pointing your warp drive straight at a star is generally a bad idea.

Normally, you're so far away from your destination that your path is completely empty, but for the DS9 episode in particular, I suspect the difference between succeeding and burning was like a very very very tiny fraction of a second at warp speeds

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well presumably the antimatter is being suspended in a vacuum with some sort of technobabble magic, and if that magic gets blasted by the enemy phasers, then the ship goes boom--even if you disconnect the antimatter containment from the engine, the antimatter even touching the containment device blows everything up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In that episode with all the alternate universes we know that we can't have been following Prime Worf because he would never win a fighting contest

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My parents are bigger Trek fans than me so I'm gonna mooch off of their CBS All Access and then get to watch it and get to not give CBS my money

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

The zero point energy of the universe increasing would be super bad because if it ever collapsed back to a lower state I think everything would explode. Like everything.

Well that has an easy solution--just keep doing whatever space pollution you're doing to heat it up!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Alright, 'In the Pale Moonlight', let's go.

This is one you all rate highly, right?

One of the best DS9 episodes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah that episode is good in that the viewer's immediate "wait, but--" is the actual point of the episode

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Vic is really good gently caress the haters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Badda Bing Badda Bang is real good too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my god this is painful to watch and I've still got 26 minutes to go. Is it all 'Odo learns to lighten up with the help of his annoying pal Vic?'

Not really but that's a significant component

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

shadok posted:

Sure: slaves. The Klingon Empire isn't just the Klingon homeworld and Klingon colonies, it's all the slave species on tributary worlds within the Klingon borders. Kirk describes it thusly:

I've always wondered how the various non-federation states work. Either they have a bunch of slave/subject species we never see, or the Klingon population must be much much much larger than the Human population, because it has to rival the combined efforts of all Federation member species.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What they didn't say is that behind the canon expert whose job was to say "no", there was an executive producer or something whose job was to say "gently caress you we're doing it anyway"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Had DS9 already started when they cast Gul Dukat as the poker player in Time's Arrow?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't watched TNG season 1 in a long time but apparently he got his Star Trek debut as this fucker

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did any of the EU stuff give a pseudo-canonical explanation for why Q was afraid of Guinan in Q Who?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xibanya posted:

Wasn't that the one where he was made human? I thought she hated him because he led to the diaspora of her people via borg or something? I may be misremembering.

Q Who is the one that introduced the borg. Q seems visibly shaken to see her, and warns Picard not to associate with her because she's more dangerous than she appears, or something like that

Guinan being a more chill member of the Q continuum would make a reasonable amount of sense, I suppose.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah obviously the point in-show is that she's mysterious, ancient, and probably has a lot more going on than meets the eye, but I assumed that by now STO or some lovely novel or comic would have removed all the mystery by just telling us what's up

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I watched TNG season 1 about two months ago and I still don't remember him.

Then again I wasn't paying as much attention when I watched season 1 as I am now because it wasn't as good.

I'm watching it right now because I figured it'd be funny to hear Dukat's voice coming from that face and so far (10 minutes in) it's extremely season one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm watching it right now because I figured it'd be funny to hear Dukat's voice coming from that face and so far (10 minutes in) it's extremely season one

His voice is passed through a modulator so I can't even recognize it. He could even be dubbed over, I'm not sure

It is extremely season one though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Goofy Tin Man Data from season one is way better than later Data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The consensus here is that it's gonna be crap, but the last two star trek shows were crap so this is hardly a deviation from the norm