Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

There's been an update to the Stage9 project. I messed around with it earlier and the creator hid some neat little easter eggs in it. There's nothing to really do except wander around in some very nicely done sets. It's still loaded with bugs, but the guy working on this has said he's hooked up with more people, and would like to recreate some of the more elaborate Ent-D parts that we never got to see on the show.

I took some screenshots, they came out crappy and I forgot to take one of the main bridge in its entirety. :doh:

Album

If you just want to watch the guy talking about this and going through the maps, watch this (turn your volume down):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O_h9zOd098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

"Take these PADDs to decks 3, 16 and 29."

Crawl into that Jefferies tube and wave this tool over that conduit for 3 hours.

Congratulations! You have successfully repaired the secondary EPS transfer on deck 29! Auxiliary food replicator control has been restored!
[TIP]Find the nearest crew lounge and reward yourself with a drink.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tears In A Vial posted:

Can you explore the room where Troi and Crusher do stretches? Asking for a friend.

It's missing the mirrors.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

The Stage9 guy and the Enterprise3D guy really need to merge.

Enterprise3d guy has been pretty silent for a while, I think he was getting poo poo from CBS but I've read he's still working on his project. Stage9 guy said on Reddit (I believe) that he reached out to E3D guy but got no response.

I'm impressed with just how well the Stage9 stuff runs on my laptop (it is pretty beefy with a 970m) and how good it looks. That Unreal4 engine is pretty good stuff.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 23, 2016

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Enterprise3D guy was silent for a year or so but posted some new pics a few months ago, so he's still at it, I guess.

What something like that really needs is a way to automate corridor generation so the whole ship layout can be done in a bang and then rooms can be 'unlocked' as they're created.

Yeah, considering most of the Enterprise-D blueprints consist of crew quarters, crew lounges, and random mechanical rooms it could be auto-generated. We all really want to explore the main shuttle bay, dolphin tanks, the bottom of the warp core, computer cores, mall, etc.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Astroman posted:

Now if I had a VR rig or it could run on my phone with a Gear, I'd have achieved nerd apotheosis.

It's the kind of thing I imagined when I was a kid. Just think, in 10 years we'll have fully mapped Enterprise Ds (and other ships) with totally accessible rooms, that we can visit in VR.

The guy did post a video on his YouTube with an HTC Vive. It's pretty neat.
https://youtu.be/U7hPA7q-ZUk

Edit: in a few years time, we could all be stumbling around our living rooms with our VR headsets exploring the Enterprise. Yay!

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 23, 2016

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

So, Farscape?

I liked Farscape, it was fun.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've always fantasized about an FX Star Trek series consisting of actors from Justified and Sons of Anarchy. Captain Timothy Olyphant, Chief Engineer Donal Logue (okay -Terriers), Doctor Ron Perlman, Ensign Theo Rossi, security chief Kim Coates, Science officer Natalie Zea, Admiral Nick Searcy.

:classiclol:

Edit: I forgot Walter Goggins, he'd have to be advisory turned companion.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 28, 2016

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Remember that guy who recreated all the ENT-D sets from stage 9 in the Unreal 4 engine?

Well he's started building the ship off of the blueprints by Rick Sternbach and posted an interesting video about it on his Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OANk_-m1Vkg

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Orv posted:

Every time I see them, I'm struck by just how much I enjoy Trek's spooky episodes. The TNG de-evolution one, the Bashir brain drain one, the Voyager bad doctor one (yes I'm bad at remembering episode names), they're pretty much all enjoyable, if not necessarily 'good' episodes.

I really enjoy those ones too, especially the DS9 one.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

He's a really cool dude and honestly a good actor, he just got the worst loving character on the worst loving Star Trek.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Orv posted:

No, no Travis is just the most bland motherfucker in existence. Phlox Neelix is actively lovely.

Yeah I guess. Travis isn't actively annoying like Neelix, he's just...nothing. I mean, you could remove him from Enterprise completely and I don't think I'd notice or care.

Edit: vvv :lol: vvv

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 31, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I don't think the Andorians noticed or cared about him because they kept calling humans pinkskins.

Shhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiit

:drat:

MillennialVulcan posted:

We know. I don't think anyone blames Ethan.

The entire Voyager crew actually have GREAT stories to tell at the conventions too, they're a rowdy bunch.

Wanna get drunk with Tuvok.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

The makeup for that episode was ridiculous.

The effort they put into makeup alone is awesome. Also it was directed and shot pretty nice too. Real suspense type poo poo. Also, the time freeze episode where Picard draws the smiley face in the warp core breach is awesome too.

E: I like Genesis and the other spooky Treks a lot, but I also like 2/3's of the JJ movies so I'm probably easily entertained.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 31, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Star Trek at the bar is how we roll. :stare:

It's Scorpion!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Is that Free Pool or Free Poo!?

Free Pool. It's a good night to work on your bank shot since...Uhh... It's Monday and only weirdos like me have Tuesdays off.

E: Star Trek related pic

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 31, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Not a huge Sovvy fan but I like it here

:vid:

I forgot how mental that guys CG talent was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEUG_ibsZck

The other few videos on his channel are stunning.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I watched Sub Rosa yesterday because of the thread title, and I know I've seen every episode of TNG, but I did not remember this one at all. What a loving riot.

Picard walks in on Beverly getting off on her granny's easy chair and is just like :stare: for a few seconds. Lmao.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Holy gently caress. How much to have Avery Brooks play the piano and sing for me and a date?

E:

Moddington posted:

I like how they have absolutely everyone on board except Brooks.

drat it! The prophets are crying!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Young Nog was a real lovely wingman though.
https://youtu.be/PtxEIF6y0JU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This is not canon.
https://youtu.be/cEo3-BMF9DQ
(Stage 9: Disco Mode)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Trip, I'd like you to check out the decon chamber. Every time T'Pol and I come back from an away mission, "Unchained Melody" starts playing when we are rubbing decon gel on each other.

Foreigners I Want to Know What Love Is would be fitting too considering
A: Emotionally repressed Vulcan
and
B: I'm pretty sure Scott Bakula banged someone in an episode of Quantum Leap to that song.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want to remind everyone that they should really be watching The Expanse

Yes. Absolutely. I haven't read the books but I'm loving the show. It's probably the first sci-fi show since Trek went off the air that I'm genuinely excited to watch. I didn't even make it through the first season of BSG.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I'm bored and seriously considering converting the Enterprise-D's blueprints into Google Maps or OpenStreetMap's interior map formats.

There's a new Stage-9 alpha build out that now includes some neat bits like part of the main computer core. The guy behind it has implemented Nvidia VXGI real-time lighting which means you need a pretty stout computer to run it. My 970m equipped laptop is barely hitting 30fps at FHD resolution. It used to be around 100 with the static lighting.

Edit: I just noticed his site is down. :(
Here's the Reddit page for further reading.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 6, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I wish I still had my TNG transporter toy. I would have put all of those through it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tom Paris fell in love, and had sex with, a spacecraft.

And a Camaro.

e: I might be misremembering that.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Random Trek film post. I've been rewatching the films (1-10), and The Final Frontier was not...as bad as I remembered? I'd certainly rank it above Insurrection and Nemesis, probably Generations too. Maybe it's just because of some personal things in my life but the vision with McCoy and his father's terminal illness was really powerful. The music for the film was also quite lovely.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

It reminds me of when my own mind broke watching it for the first time in 1990.

I was just a wee little kid when BoBW aired but it was my first cliffhanger experience.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gotta have room for all those arboretums and anbo-jytsu gyms

And the crew lounges. I love the idea of a lone ensign going to a completely empty crew lounge and drinking his synthale alone at an empty bar.

Somewhat related, this guy is still working on recreating the ENT-D in its entirety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_vcT0arKB0

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

So, I don't know if anyone skipped around and caught the ending of this.

He launches a shuttle, lands on the engineering section, and takes a stroll outside.

He then gets back in, flies up to the saucer, and he has a "Remote Saucer Separation" button in the shuttle. Which he presses. And it does.

Yeah, this is loving rad. Went for a walkabout myself.

Inspected the rear torpedo launcher:

Tried to walk up the spine of the ship...

...ended up falling through the model into space.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The thing that bugged me about Clues, was that by the time the episode was over they had spent 2...maybe 3 days hashing out this memory wipe, which means they're at least 2 days late arriving to wherever they're supposed to be. Surely Starfleet would be like "Hey, what the hell have you guys been up to? Also it's Wednesday, not Monday you dimwits."

They also adjust the ship computer to make it seem like only 30 seconds had passed, but wouldn't the clock be forever 2+ days off from all the other Starfleet/Starbase clocks?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I guess. I'll just chalk it up to my tired idiot brain and "it's Trek, stupid."

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I seem to recall that was supposed to be one of the (in-universe) reasons they use the Stardate system, is to help account for time fuckery.

(yes yes Stardates are actually mostly meaningless)

Imagine all these Starfleet vessels encountering weird space-time phenomenon for the entirety of their missions. They all rendevouz back at earth, the crew younger or older than they should be, not even knowing what loving day it is. Probably a logistical/strategic nightmare.

Hell, the U.S.S Bozeman was caught in a time loop for how long? They never did complete their mission, then they had to return to earth where all their loved ones had died and why do we do with the ship and the crew...

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 25, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, you get that just from cruising around space at impulse speeds, even without anomalies.

That's true. Time dilation must be a bitch.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Seems that "Full Impulse" is .25 the speed of light. Doesn't the Enterprise accelerate to warp .9 (or was it .5?) in TMP? Would that be approaching light speed without going to warp/subspace?

I know this is an overly nerdy discussion, but I'm just trying to kill time and I'm a nerd I guess.

Edit: beaten above.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Gonz posted:

The TV-MA is obviously for the communal Klingon showers.

Somebody says "poo poo", a bare buttocks is shown. So edgy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So long as Avery Brooks is still alive, Sisko could come back.

My dream would be a new Trek set in a century ahead, where machines like Data have become the go-to shock troops for the Federation, Janeway is an ancient and corrupt grand admiral-type (somehow) who runs the Federation like an iron fist and they've become sharply militarized following the Dominion Wars. The Klingons are toothless following a big cultural revolution where the old Empire has been reformed and the old ways are being actively challenged and/or erased; Cardassia's a third-world country still and the Romulons are the only major power in the Alpha Quadrant besides the Federation.

Hell yeah.

quote:

The story would have a group of young, brash Federation kids steal a ship and go gallivanting off into an unknown section of the galaxy; it'd be some cool prototype ship and the Federation would be in hot pursuit. Along this way they'd befriend a number of various one-off alien races and the series would build towards them inspiring a whole section of the galaxy with old-school Federation ideals. Ultimately they'd end up heading back to earth, and Captain Sisko could show up on their bridge to lend them the climactic strategic skill needed to beat Janeway and save the Alpha Quadrant.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Thanks to this show for introducing me to Jewel Staite.

I know right. Me being the 10 year old turbonerd that I was, I had a huge boyhood crush on her.

It looks like most of the show is on YouTube via super low quality tv-rips.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'd like to see a new thread for Discovery, especially since I will probably be one of the saps paying for All Access to watch the show. I'm sure others here will be too so I'd like a dedicated thread to wallow in our misery (or elation over how awesome the show is?!)

If there's not one by Sunday I'd be willing to throw one together with some effort, but I am neither funny or clever. I think just a canned synopsis and some cast/crew bio would be enough. New Trek doesn't just come around every year though, I'm sure a more seasoned Trekkie could add some flare.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Nessus posted:

Quark rules and provides a vital counterpoint to the main people in DS9.

The older I get, the more I like Quark. He sums things up pretty well in the pilot:

"Commander, I've made a career out of knowing when to leave. And this provisional government is far too provisional for my taste and when governments fall, people like me are lined up and shot."

That right there is just drat good writing and gives the viewer a lot of information about just what kind of world he's living in, and what the "frontier" is all about.