Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just ran through the entirety of TNG (it's great background audio while you play video games!) and I thought Troi was pretty useful, all in all, even if she's the victim of some inconsistent writing. I remember a lot of complaining about her empathy just illustrating the obvious, but there are a number of episodes where nothing would get done without Troi, and more where she provides useful clues.

She's also a pretty good counselor! She knows when to step up and intervene and when to listen. And a ship's counselor is part of why TNG feels so comforting, it's this big huge flying city that's insanely overcapable for just about any mission, and they all solve problems by having staff meetings and goof off on the holodeck and respond to every new alien probe and scanning beam with the same wide-eyed 'oh boy maybe THIS one won't cause problems' naivete. Of course they have a counselor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I need that TNG E/N frontpage mockup, anyone got it? it belongs in the op

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Tell me the TNG E/N post isn't lost to time, all I can remember is Worf's LOST MY HONOR AGAIN, REALLY GOING TO KILL MYSELF THIS TIME :(

e: welp apparently it was by Aatrek, I don't want it any more

e: but it was literally the next page so...I guess here it is

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 23, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nessus posted:

Also if that thing is the work of :aatrek: I don't think it ought to be in the OP even if it is a sensible chuckle taken in a vacuum

Agreed, it bears the taint.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

He was an absolute waste of a character. "Federation is your weakness" or whatever he growled: what does that mean? "You guys suck because you trust each other?" He wants to blow up the Yorktown and the rest of the Federation because they forgot about him? Weak.

I know he's just a stock TOS crazy captain but if you're going to run your PR campaign with a tagline like "this is where the frontier pushes back" maybe let the villain be an opponent of Federation cultural imperialism or whatever. You could even keep the Enterprise tie-in by making him a member of some alien species hosed over by early Starfleet intervention.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Beyond is good though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm down to Voyager as my mindless listen-while-cooking show and all the :techno: has me wondering: is there any episode in all of Trek where weird poo poo happens and they can't explain it? No polarized neutrino fields, no verteron nods or subspace hernias, there's just some weird poo poo and they get out of it but they don't know wtf was going on?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Worf’s always been an idiot though. This is the same guy who comes from the planet of drunken fratbros but is constantly shocked when they don’t act like strict bushido code samurai.

The man runs into his wife's hot ex on Risa and his response is to join the Proud Boys, he's a certified idiot.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Is there any canonical difference between phasers and disruptors or does Starfleet just have strong branding on what's basically the same deal?

e: If a Starfleet officer picks up a Romulan weapon, is it now a phaser?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Thread inspired me to rewatch "Night Terrors." I was surprised it wasn't a Brannon Braga episode.

Man I love all these episodes where the Enterprise checks up on some other Starfleet ship or outpost where everyone's gone insane and murdered each other/devolved into bugs/spontaneously combusted/suffered an unimaginable and permanent fate. Imagine how it is for the rest of Starfleet's explorers. You're on the USS $oberthName, it's like 90 years old, no holodecks, antimatter injectors jammed open, you hit an isospatial torque sphincter or an alien brain probe and it's like the lost scenes from Event Horizon. You murder your roommate with a protoplaser. The captain vents warp coolant through the whole ship. Your skin falls off.

A couple days post mortem the Enterprise-D rolls up in a cloud of weed and cetacean byproducts. Picard makes a concerned face. "What's up with this poo poo Data" " Difficult to say, sir, it's pretty hosed up" "Very well" and forty minutes and a B-plot later they're tearing off to Starbase 40214 for a Lwaxana episode. Different worlds.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Captain's Log, Stardate 40001. The Enterprise has encountered a space hulk, a mass of wreckage and lost ships that drifts randomly through subspace. Though I am eager to begin archaeological studies of this historical treasure, Lieutenant Commander Worf has expressed concerns about security. Perhaps this is an opportunity for him to participate more closely in the scientific process.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Captain's Log, Stardate 12426. We are responding to a medical distress call from the commercial vessel Nostromo. Dr. Crusher is excited at the chance to contact and characterize an entirely new species. Mr. Data has volunteered to act as liason with the ship's science officer, who is intrigued by the organism's biomechanical traits. I have placed the Enterprise's full laboratory facilities at his disposal.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I''m watching DS9 for the first time, because it's the super awesome good one and I'd like to start there. The pilot was fine, good at times, but that second episode was very not good. The entire thing with the kids and the Keiko school thing and that camp as hell thing where the villain gets his face ripped off, just, wow.

I know the show gets good at some point because I've seen the odd episode or two, so I've determined to watch it until it gets there. But how many episodes like that one are there gonna be?

Watch TNG first, because DS9 is an echo/response to it.

e: first two seasons of TNG are ridiculous though

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

If you like Worf you really need to watch DS9.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

You'd think they'd ask themselves "who is taking care of Naomi Wildman?"

No one ever asks, how is taking care of Naomi Wildman?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Crusader posted:

https://i.imgur.com/rb81ub4.mp4

thought about this scene a lot today re: venus

I know this remark is part of the thread's loop/collapsing static warp bubble, but holy drat the D bridge looks so good with movie lighting.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It menaces with shafts of limestone. In the foreground is a captain. The captain is lurking with the shaft. In the background is an android. The android is searching for the captain.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Archer solving the...feud

SardonicTyrant posted:

with a game of hockey

These two concepts don't belong together

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I liked the utterly wack Star Trek Millennium books. The DS9 crew accidentally opened an evil red wormhole and got thrown into the future where the Federation was locked in a doomed struggle with a red-wormhole-worshipping Bajor led by Weyoun. Dukat hung out on Empok Nor worshipping the Fire Cave pah wraiths in a sort of internal pah wraith schism. The Borg had allied with the Federation to try to stop the red and blue wormholes from colliding because it turned out that all of existence was created by the symmetry breaking that occurred when the red and blue wormholes separated, so if they ever reunited, zzp for everything.

poo poo got weirder from there as I recall

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

"Don't provoke the Borg" from Q is pretty rich given the Borg's first appearance was him doing it out of petulance to force Picard to say he needed Q. Like it was just an ego thing and he couldn't stand being turned down by mere humans. Real "do as I say, not as I do" parenting

Provoking the Borg got Picard assimilated and made him very unhappy, and this made Q sad and remorseful (because he wants Picard to love him).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Beeeeeeeeeelllllllllllaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy thaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttt phaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr ooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Probably the most utopian thing about Starfleet is that it's a quasi-military organization whose members are not constantly drowning in bureaucratic chickenshit, like qualifying to be a watchstander on a shuttlecraft, or holding captain's mast because Worf punched Riker.

This reminds me that I really need to read the rest of the Aubrey-Maturin books

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I read the first book of Honor Harrington because I heard it was one of the books that inspired Halo.

I don't think it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Whatever you think about Voyager, "delete the wife" is one of the funniest lines in all of Star Trek