Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I uh

I am 31. I have been a Star Trek fan for 25 years.

Somehow, somehow, today was the first time I ever saw In The Pale Moonlight. :vince:

Just every single minute of it was perfect (except Terry Farrell had some weirdly distracting really bad bags under her eyes). I started screaming at the screen when I realized what Garak had done about a minute before Sisko confronted him. And now I know what that one guy’s avatar screaming it’s a FAAAAAAAKE is all about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m midway through S2 of TNG and boy a lot of this is just super painful. When does it get better? S3?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

And thank gently caress the finale knocked it out of the park.

Yeah, the Best of Both Worlds is great.

It's just the same thing as why I'd never seen In The Pale Moonlight before; I've been a fan, but I've never sat down and watched any of the series completely end to end. I know it's good, but watching stuff like The Outrageous Okona is being done with my head in my hands out of sheer embarrassment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think seasons 5-6 are remembered fondly because that's when the show really dug into a consistent tone we'd come to associate with TNG. Season 5 is really solid and has some major gems, but that's also when they started doing stuff like "Unification" and the series kind of became about itself to some extent. Season 3 is just wall-to-wall enjoyable self-contained adventures.

Season 6 has some great stuff, but it also has some of the most vanilla installments of the series, like Birthright and that Dr. Crusher murder mystery one.

Honestly I think that's what's throwing me. I'm used to watching TNG as disjointed episodes in reruns or whatever, just this familiar blanket of science-fiction-y goodness that I really liked as a kid. S2 isn't tonally, consistently there yet; S1 felt a lot like TOS (understandably). I have this nostalgic desire to kind of fastforward to the show really burgeoning into a franchise and a brand again, when I'm six and flipping through my copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia. S2 just isn't there yet for me, there are good episodes but it's not my familiar 90s Trek yet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
have any of these new series dealt with the continuity issue in star trek canon that the real world should have been stuck in the genetics war since like 1996 so now we can't have an unbroken line from the current day to whatever series like the callbacks to contemporary culture usually assume

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

it looks like I somehow missed a uniquely terrible episode of voyager

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

"Isn't there a global war happening right now?"
"Eh, global actors, but it's pretty much all happening in Asia."
"What's left of it, anyhow."
"Right. So you can still get frozen yogurt here while thousands simultaneously have their genes dissolved by RNA bombs."
"Ooh, I like gummi bears, captain!!"
"No, Paris. They get too hard in the cold yogurt."

At least there’s coffee in this flashback.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That one scene in Beyond (yes, that scene) I think actually justifies the existence of the reboot franchise. It all kind of comes together: big space action, Star Trek cultural callbacks, finding strange new worlds. Like hey, now it actually works. It shouldn't have taken 3 movies to get there, but it worked. It's not the best Trek, but it's a reasonable Star Trek for the current summer blockbuster era.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

Simon Pegg has effectively confirmed that any future Trek movies are dead and that ViacomCBS is focusing on TV for the current moment.

this makes me sad. I honestly wanted a follow up to Beyond.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you tell Michael Chabon you’re trying to replace him with good writers I’m pretty sure he’d hulk out or spontaneously catch on fire or something.

Also watching TNG the thing I’m noticing the most is the makeup. Selar you have some amazing dewy blush!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They're both dead-eyed pod people. Watch this poo poo.

Watch them talk about how they had no idea how to actually use the setting or gimmicks of the setting they created. Watch them insist that the Temporal Cold War was a good idea and imply Manny Coto is the idiot who got Star Trek cancelled, etc. At one point they talk about doing an Avengers style story, which I can't see being anything but "generations but more and worse" when written by these two.

The only good thing about this is them talking about how they tried to get shatner to do a thing and he apparently asked for all the money in the goddamn world to come back and play his character's great grandfather in enterprise so they nixed it. I'm really curious as to what Bill charges for a movie role/appearance.

Probably less. His actual pedigree as an actor in general is honestly pretty good (it's easy to forget, but Shatner's particular way of acting comes right out of his time Shakespearean stage acting in Canada); it's just that he can dig his claws in and go "I am Captain Kirk and you have to pay me The Big Star Trek Money if I'm going to do The Star Trek thing."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Happy Pride, everyone!

I wonder how overt the slash content would get in a lot of these novels. I remember reading the "Devil's Heart" TNG novel and the one where they go back to the Mirror Universe and Picard has a literary freakout because he starts reading some of their literature and sees that things didn't just change last week. I also recall the Klingons hear that in that universe, Klingons are dead or enthralled by the Terran Empire, and decide to do something about it.

I remember one where Riker fucks some hot cyborg pirate or something while undercover and then has to have a wrestle to the death with her because SHE HAS POISON NEEDLES IN HER HANDS

this was very significant to me as like an eight year old

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh my god thank gently caress this run of really objectifying misogynist episodes in TNG S2 ended with Pulaski kicking all kinds of rear end in “Unnatural Selection”.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don't know all the behind the scenes drama, but I'm wondering was there any consideration given to setting up another series when DS9 ended, to keep two Star Trek series on air at once? Or did they kind of realize "one is the right number and we should just leave it at Voyager and set up something else after that?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

They were pretty much in a "wait and see" mode, because DS9's viewership had been drastically lower than TNG's (helped in no small part by fuckery on the part of the syndicating stations in several large markets like Chicago and New York), and after a gangbusters premiere, Voyager's ratings cratered.

Makes sense!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's also the writing itself; there seems to be a good amount of "oh my stars, how will I, a woman, deal with this issue? If only there was a man around to help!"

I talked about it a bit but there’s this three episode stretch of TNG S2 where objectifying women is the b-plot if not the A-plot (Outrageous Okona, Where Silence Has Lease, The Schizoid Man) and it just almost got me to stop there. Like I know the franchise as a whole is better than this but just watching all of that back to back to back was really dispiriting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Man “The Dauphin” is a really mixed episode. It’s generally better than the synopsis would make me think, but Wesley turning Salia away once he’s seen one of her other forms is really gross. I’m not sure if the ending makes me feel better about it or not.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Astroman posted:

I don't think Wesley was supposed to be the good guy there. It would have been more positive for him to say "I accept you no matter what!" :haw: but his reaction as a teenager who might not know better was realistic, especially for the time. It also made you think and realize it was a bad reaction, which was the point.

I don’t disagree, but that scene hit way way way too close to home as a trans woman. Usually the women in those scenarios don’t have incredible shape shifting powers to fall back on, so they end up being hurt or killed instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Croatoan posted:

If you, as an android, finally get a chance to act horny around everybody wouldn't you take the opportunity?

It was very special for him, after all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

I had to look this up and this is the best quality video I can find on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uM2aot_vl8
wtf?

It's not on the Netflix versions or in my DVDs but it is in the Amazon Prime version. Super weird.

that is so horrible

I watched "Contagion" last night, that was a pretty good episode. Lots of fun action. I appreciated Toronto City Hall as a mysterious alien planet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Roth posted:

Deactivated the link since kiwifarms is apparently lurking about. I'll pm it to you.

Anyone else want an invite?

Me please!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If anyone else has an invite, PM me please; the one Drone sent me before expired while I was away.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

knox posted:

Starting watching this for the first time with The Next Generation, on season 3 now. Strangely calming to watch without having the already built up fandom.

I'm behind you. As someone who watched episodes as much as she could as a young kid and devoured secondary media, early TNG is really nice and small. It's kind of quaint in a way, they get to do cool things and not worry about the onus of STAR TREK upon them. I just finished Time Squared and it was great, but that's an episode that would feel really underbaked five more intricate time travel episodes in. Instead, it gets to be a very cold character drama, and you get things like Pulaski mentioning she can remove Picard from command without it actually being done.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

skasion posted:

They totally did have that onus on them though. Trek was a huge franchise already with a (the) Fandom and its success as movies was the big reason it got a tv revival. It’s more likely that when you were a kid you just didn’t know or care about any of that poo poo.

It was a franchise, but it wasn't a hidebound franchise with a ton of continuity/a formula/common motifs to work around. If Time Squared was a Voyager episode, Pulaski mentioning removing the captain from command WOULD have been done, you wouldn't have had the fascinating bits where Riker and Troi try to talk Picard down, and I'm not sure if Picard would have shot himself. (Star Trek loves killing its main cast members when it doesn't "count," but it sure is way more impactful here than in Voyager where the Real Harry Kim gets sucked out a hull breach and no one gives a poo poo.)

e: and I was totally into the whole franchise/continuity thing as a kid. I spent hours reading and rereading the Encyclopedia, I know half this poo poo by heart just by reading the synopses over and over again. Which is why it's so fascinating when I'm actually watching it, to see how the show is more of a show first and the Star Trek Juggernaut second.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

womb with a view posted:

Yeah I think you're right. That and having a woman as the captain counted for big points with them as young girls.

Strange reasoning but when I was a kid I didn't watch much DS9 because it was so dark, as in the lighting and colours. The show is difficult to see sometimes and that turned me off visually!

All of this is exactly why I had good memories of Voyager as a kid. I watched a good portion of the concluding arc of DS9 in reruns in high school and it was better then, but I absolutely didn't understand it as a young girl.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I'm kinda scared to get back to Voyager in this Star Trek watching odyssey because I have SUCH GOOD MEMORIES of it and it probably can't match up. :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just got to Q-Who in my rewatch. Jeez they sell the Borg real well. And that baby in the crèche is just as terrifying as I remember 25 years later.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

womb with a view posted:

I liked that they wanted to use a real baby but like, you can't make a baby sit in a makeup chair. It's probably illegal in some way to smear the baby with prosthetics and face paint. So baby gets a little borg hat.

And the baby is just laughing and giggling along, which makes the final take even more horrifying. It’s happy to be borgified.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

8one6 posted:

It seems like the Nebula was the new iteration of the Miranda: A reliable workhorse built from off the shelf parts that could remain in service for a hundred years.

I want to see the Starfleet Corps of Engineers novel about being the last person in the galaxy certified to work on Mirandas and being incredibly absurdly in demand when some fifty year old patch job that just got the crew safely out of the way of Klingons falls apart.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

We saw like three different versions of the pod, I think the idea was meant to be that there could be different pods for different roles.

Memory Alpha agrees: Atop the primary hull was a superstructure which could support a variety of modules, such as the inclusion of a triangular platform, fitted with torpedo launchers, an oval platform, or additional warp nacelles. (TNG: "Redemption II", "The Wounded", "Unification I")

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

Sounds like a long-lost, recently-discovered Culture novel

I think I played that Guided By Voices song in the BtSX E3 alpha, right? It was the level with the really lovely archvile respawns midway through?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I’d stretch over a chair with her, if you know what I mean.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Would watch Battle Star Trek: Galaxy where after a devastating attack on the Federation a rag-tag collection of ships led by a Galaxy class have to flee to safety and try to find a new home.

There’s coffee in that singing nebula!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
how many star trek series DON'T have run ins with nazis or aliens inspired by nazis? tng and ds9, maybe? (not counting the new ones)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I know there's another silk shirt in TNG but the only one I can remember that puts his chest hair on full display is the one from Angel One:

I like how Deanna's just beaming during this. "Look at MY man."

Also I meant episodes with aliens inspired by Nazis like the TOS/VOY episodes where they adopted Nazi trappings, not "aliens that are thematically akin to" like Cardassians.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's 11:59? *googles* what that episode is great. it's not super Star Trek, but it's great in its own way as a human question about space and possibility.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I suspect other people might hate it but I think the Mustang/Sabotage scene that follows is great too. That kid took his one line and acted the gently caress out of it.

I really appreciated Beyond's callback to it. Of course it's Sabotage, it's both appropriate for the purpose and a nice callback to Kirk rediscovering himself as a captain. Like okay, in action-movie Star Trek verse, you CAN make surfing a starship on a wave of drones in space work.

The whole reboot trilogy really seems to show that you can do cool action movie Star Trek if you actually care and try to give it some attention and purpose? When they care, it works fairly to very well. When they don't care, it's poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Pen Pals was good. Samaritan Snare was great. I can really see TNG rounding into form.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I'm going to call out "The Dauphin" again, particularly the scene where Wesley sees Salia in her bestial form. It's not one of the episodes usually called out as being problematic but the whole thing is basically one long trans panic metaphor and it really sucked to watch that scene, because "boyfriend realizes his girlfriend has an unfeminine quality he doesn't approve of" usually ends up with the girlfriend (me and people like me) hurt or killed.

I would be surprised if the team knew that was a thing at all, since most of the remotely mainstream cultural touchpoints for it weren't around in 1988-1989, but it really hasn't aged well and is really painful to watch, even if it was unintentional.

It's been a long road these past 30 years, getting from there to here in terms of marginalized people and portrayals. There's nothing wrong with saying that these movies and shows haven't aged well, we can respect what they're trying to do in context.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was this intentional

of course lol