Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CAS also don't really make sense when you don't have a horizon to project power over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

What was the episode of TNG where some species that had barely achieved space flight/warp drive and had been hitting the enterprise for several hours with laser weapons and doing basically nothing? Like they were down to 99% shields.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Re:Spacedock

Yorktown is going to have the same problems in about 70 years when the Kelvin Timeline Galaxy class ships start showing up, or maybe they just have bigger tunnels elsewhere..?

I imagine they have universal docking ports on the sides that are compatible with all large ships.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ST
STTAS
STTNG
STDS9
STV
STE

all acronyms used frequently.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

I have never, ever seen those used as the acronyms for those shows

:thejoke:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

That was when Disney was trying to do their own toys to life thing. With them cancelling their video games division we'll probably see more games and toys for star wars

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I though they only used NX (Naval Experiment) numbers for prototype ships after the federation was formed. Shouldn't it have an NCC number?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

bull3964 posted:

No, it's just free marketing for the movie that's in theaters.

Domestic box office seems pretty glum for this movie. Where ID showed growth day over day throughout the weekend, Beyond has dropped each day. Hopefully they see good returns in the markets yet to open or they won't be able to afford Hemsworth for a 4th movie.

If the new series does well that may overcome somewhat weak box office numbers in their calculation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

After The War posted:

What's the bar for that? Subscriptions to CBS All Access/number of Netflix viewers in the rest of the world? Before, they could always look at ad revenue or number of stations paying syndication fees - how is "success" measured in the streaming-only world?

Related, is this the biggest IP to go digital-only?

Well seeing as they will only be airing the series on their online platform they will have an exact number of unique and repeat views.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

They are not competing properties. Like a hotdog and a bun, when one does good it makes the other more valuable.

Plus both paramount and CBS are publicly traded companies so the revenue/viewer numbers will be public.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Subyng posted:

Kind of a strange response. It's not as if sci fi portraying orbital mechanics requires the audience to start doing calculations in their heads. You simply present it to the audience as is. "The ship has no power, we're stuck in orbit Captain" is enough for the audience, for example.

Again, it's not a criticism against the movie because Trek is not hard sci fi, but I think presenting some of the realities of space travel would make for some interesting stories, precisely because the way things work in space is not what we are used to, and presents different challenges for our heroes to solve. If you're going to have a setting that takes place in space, why not take full advantage of the uniqueness of that setting?

Have you ever watched something try to figure out Kerbal space program?

The vast majority of people don't understand even basic orbital mechanics.

Plus star trek has never cared about scientific orbits. If it helps your sperg just imagine that when inertial dampeners are on you retain the same inertia and velocity you had when you entered orbit so you wouldn't have a vector that has a stable orbit.

Please ignore the fact that the shift from inertial dampeners on to off would turn the crew into a puddle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I had the exact same idea! And it totally fits with all those TNG-era visuals of the ship hanging out far closer to a planet than geostationary but not zipping along like the Space Shuttle/ISS.

They should be facing retrograde and radial out then which we see like never.

But whatever. They probably have impulse engines all over the ship.

Or as a great man once said, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax"

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 28, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Quark was not terribly successful by Ferangi standards. He complains pretty frequently about family that are doing significantly better than him.

I think he has a brother who was an arm's dealer and owns a moon.

He lets his conscience, care for family (see: Rom), and his like of people get in hit way of making a profit.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know whether other Ferengi would sneer about him not paying rent or commend him for taking advantage of Federation idiocy.

Does he not pay rent? It's a Bajorian station which they let the federation operate out of. Bajor probably gets payed a rent by the federation and they probably want their taxes for the shops in there too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hmm okay. Bajor probably still gets theirs, just directly from the Federation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bajor is basically modern day Turkey.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Phimosissy posted:

Just watched TNG 4.17 Night Terrors, which is a pretty good episode and one I'll always remember for the X-Files style freakout of the dead bodies sitting up on Crusher.

At the very end, Data orders Picard to bed, and Picard walks down and enters the door just to the left of the viewscreen and it's a turbolift instead of the ready room. What the gently caress just happened?

EDIT:

looking at bridge layouts on the google, it appears that there is a turbolift door and the ready room right there. You can now mock me for being dumb. I really don't remember that turbolift. Is that where Worf went in that other mindfuck episode where the door opened from one bridge to an identical bridge?

The doesn't that turbolift go directly to the battle bridge?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Phimosissy posted:

Don't all turbolifts go everywhere like a Wonkavator?

I think there's supposed to be one that only goes between the two bridges to ensure the senior staff can evac to the backup bridge quickly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Holy gently caress what happened to the Enterprise intro in season 3. It got even more out of place and upbeat while the "hooks" got even darker making a comical contrast.

Just wait until you get to the mirror universe episode in season 4.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Given Picard's "love" of kids, I'm not at all surprised he got a pitbull.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I got through 6 episodes of season 3 of Discovery after having skipped season 2 entirely and the latter half of season 1. They seem to be pumping up Burnham and everyone gushes over her and lavishes her with praise but she is probably one of the most selfish, incompetent and unlikable characters I’ve seen in a primary role in a show.

Does this get any better because it just begs my suspension of disbelief how she keeps loving off on her own little adventures without telling anyone and suffers no consequences for any of her actions despite being in a military vessel in the ragged and hounded remains of the Federation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

skasion posted:

Lol no, it gets way worse

I was literally blown away when she just hosed off with all of the dilithium of the Discovery early in the season in a hairbrained plan to kidnap the enemy commander, threatening the extremely rare and valuable resource of the ship and everyone on board and loving suffered no consequences for it. Who the gently caress is writing this show?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gordon Shumway posted:

I somewhat understand skipping some of season 1, but why skip season 2? It's kinda the best one.

I saw a clip of Burnham in a angelic suit doing a superhero 3 point landing on the outside of Discovery while millions of tiny drones buzzed about fighting someone around her. It was an absolute clusterfuck of of a shot that just screamed that they were still treating her as some masonic savior figure and had abandoned any pretense of restrained space combat for incredibly busy clusterfucks of effects for the sake of effects.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I always recommend the Tasha Yar tar monster episode

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Boxturret posted:

Most of the best episodes of shows either build on things that the show took a long time setting up like character interactions or plot elements, or they stand out because they do something really different and novel in comparison to the rest of the show, so usually the best episodes are the worst to show someone to get them interested.

So just start at the beginning :colbert:

I don’t know, I think the Q episodes stand on their own pretty well in TNG.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's just mind blowing how poorly paced and thought out this season was, at least for me, only 6 episodes in.

1: The writers gave themselves a new blank slate. They changed the rules of the game so that now the Discovery has a mystery on its hands, where did the Federation go? They find a single bread crumb from the sensor platform guy but encounter new villains in the form of the couriers who desperately want Discovery's dilithium. They could have had a season long epic where they are desperately outclassed by every runabout class ship in the area since their tech is 1k years out of date, but had the most advanced drive tech in the entire galaxy allowing them to escape from danger. Put them in situations where they need to stay put for a time to get the info they need to get closer to finding Starfleet, force them to think cleverly to avoid the higher tech couriers constantly hunting them, and end the season with them arriving at the Starfleet staging point.

Instead they encounter someone at the first planet they go to (Earth) who knows exactly where the Federation fleet is and the couriers become of little importance.

2: Imagine you, the writer, have a ship from 1000 years ago showing up at the beleaguered Starfleet staging point. They host a drive tech that needs no dilithium and can travel nearly anywhere instantly. Do you: 1: Have them stay in the safety of the staging point while you research and replicate the drive tech for use in other ships. 2: State in a line or two that you've run detailed scans on the drive and have everything you need to do research into replicating it or 3: immediately send the ship with the only copy of this savior drive tech out on dangerous missions with no explanation as to how you're securing that technology.

Obviously 3 of course. What else could it be?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is Discovery the first series without Majel Barrett-Roddenberry?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

On Enterprise she isn't really around, except for two episodes that aren't set on the NX-01

She did play the computer in the last episode of ENT I believe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

No one cares about Luke making GBS threads because Star Wars is a fantasy series that happens to have space ships in it.

On the other hand we did learn about how wizards poo poo in Harry Potter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ahead full Mr. Crusher.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Veotax posted:

Wait, really? I know it's supposed to have a secondary deflector (the gold-ish dish on the upper saucer) that was never mentioned in the show, but the second warp care is new to me.

The Intrepid class was a long range research vessel, so it had backups of vital systems to allow it to limp home if the primary failed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Jackie Chan Adventures?

That's just a really early Star Trek prequel

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Harry Potter also takes place in the Star Trek universe. They just hide the wizarding world from their sensors

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that also comes up a lot. Defeating some God-like being.

It's because they had a bunch of Greek or Roman props from other movies/shows being filmed in their studios.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Transparent aluminum.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Enterprise has pockets so it's objectively the best series.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wait, those turbolifts are supposed to be in Discovery? I thought they were in some alien space station. Where the gently caress are those cavernous voids in the ship schematic?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Galaxy or Constitution?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Spin up the saucer section and shoot it through a borg cube like a buzzsaw.

Since they specialize their shields for the shots they are taking, this will work extremely well exactly once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://youtu.be/AN0lFBHTZ1o