Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just got back from Beyond, and I loved it. Definitely the best of the nu-trek series. There's not much I can say about it that hasn't already been said in this thread, but I'll echo the stuff about how I wish Krall's backstory could have been revealed earlier in the film to open up some more exploration of his motivations, since I think there's a kernel of something interesting and socially relevant in there, but the movie didn't really have time to explore it much. Also, Jaylah's cool and I'm so glad they didn't try to push a romance subplot on her and I hope she joins the crew in the next movie. In general, the crew looked a lot more diverse than in any other iteration of Star Trek, too, which was nice.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Timby posted:

Jesus. An hour-long panel and the only information about the new series was that it will be serialized, not episodic, and a title: Star Trek Discovery. The rest of it was Shatner, Spiner, Dorn, Bakula and Ryan just patting each other on the back.

Apparently there was a teaser trailer, at least. Looks like it's already on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

Yeesh, this CGI looks pretty bad.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 23, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The docking clamps in particular look like really poor early 2000's low-budget CGI. ENT had better CGI than this.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Clearly what we need are Star Trek K'Nex.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

What the heck is that from?

Brent Spiner's genuine reaction to the first time Gates McFadden said the line "A particularly erotic chapter in my grandmother's journal."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nazareth posted:

Hello, new to Star Trek and I'm watching the Next Generation from S1 onwards.

I'm aware of the Ferengi's lore to some degree, having watched a stray episode on the BBC. But I don't remember them being as uh... cartoony as in S1E4 where they were first introduced. When did their presentation change from the wriggling loony toons to just normal space yankee traders?

Ferengi are pretty much always kind of goofy save for a couple episodes of DS9, but they're especially so in the first season of TNG.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Beyond spoilers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXGpyJNNcYM

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I watched the first season of Enterprise a while back and had a really, really hard time telling the difference between Trip and Reed when they weren't speaking. I didn't even know what Reed's job was until the second season. Maybe that speaks more to my dumb brain but I choose to blame the show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
One of the weakest things in DS9, to me, is the Dax-Worf relationship. It suffers from the same thing the O'Briens do in that you basically never see them enjoying each others' company or being happy in their marriage. Almost every time we see them together, they're fighting, and as a result I just see no chemistry between them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
DS9 probably portrays Vulcans more negatively than ENT does. The only Vulcans I remember having any significant roles in DS9 were the serial killer with the transporting bullets and the rear end in a top hat Vulcan baseball team.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've always assumed that Parrises Squares involves a zero-gravity room with moving wall panels.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Computer, create a basketball player capable of dunking on Data.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Dark One posted:

Quark's outfits are the high point of Trek fashion. It's not even close.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, the version of TNG they have on Netflix now is the Blu-ray remaster. All but like, two or three episodes, for whatever reason.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think when Star Trek tries to write "bounty hunters and space pirates" style sci fi you get The Outrageous Okona.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Easy. The shot in Birthright takes place at a different time, perhaps a few hours later, at which point DS9 has rotated so that Bajor is behind the camera rather than in front of it. :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gammatron 64 posted:

I went to this magic card store and was talkin' shows and guys there were like "DS9 is the worst Trek, we love Dr. Who"

I probably shouldn't go there anymore

I've met multiple (!) people who say that DS9 is the worst Trek and Voyager is the best.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
At least I've never met anyone who likes ENT the best.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tunicate posted:

The STO playerbase were given a choice of what series to make the next expansion based off of. They overwhelmingly voted voyager.

I can kiiiiiinda understand this, if only because Voyager's got a greater variety of unique locations and races and ships.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

With the exception of ‘Deep Space Nine’ when it got into the Dominion War, ‘Star Trek’ has been primarily episodic – so I feel like we’ll be different in that regard and will be very serialized
That's good, though given current TV trends, unsurprising news.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The whole Jadzia/Worf relationship was probably the weakest aspect of DS9.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zaroff posted:

How has it taken me over 15 years to realize Kira got braids when she had her hair redone for Season 7?

First time viewing it on a non-SD TV, perhaps? :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The real ones from the episode were probably auctioned off for $10,000 each

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Memory Alpha is free, though. :smug:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Danny DeVito would make an excellent Q.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lord Hydronium posted:

Danny Devito is Picard, Glenn Howerton is Riker, Rob McElhenney is Worf, Charlie Day is Geordi, Kaitlin Olsen is Troi.

The Gang Violates the Prime Directive

I'm thinking Charlie Day as O'Brien.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

How did the ratings stack up?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gonz posted:

Future Imperfect was on today, and there's just no excuse for Riker's alien captor turning out to be a 20 dollar Halloween costume.

Especially in season 4. I mean what the hell, producers.

Excuse me, but somebody paid $1000 for that costume, thank you very much

http://archive.propworx.com/1008/99

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm rewatching DS9 and I love how checking peoples' blood to see if they're a changeling never once works in the entirety of the series.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rhyno posted:

Watching 400+ episodes and a dozen films worth of Trek is super loving depressing when you look at how the real world is starting to move backwards instead of into the future. We could have been standing on Mars 10 years ago but we'd rather murder each other based on skin color and obsess over reality tv.

I'm in a bad mood tonight.

The Star Trek endorsed candidate is currently enjoying a comfortable lead in the polls, so really, we're moving in the right direction. :toot:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

showbiz_liz posted:

Just rewatched the DS9 pilot, and man, there are some scenes where Avery Brooks' acting is honestly kind of terrible. He definitely improved over the course of the show.

Yeah, comparing his performance in the first season to his performance in, say, "Far Beyond the Stars" is night and day. Brooks is at his best when he's either brooding or wildly emotional, and the later seasons gave him a lot more opportunities to do that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nessus posted:

But if society isn't ruled by mustache-twirling villains constantly making GBS threads everything up just because they can, it's unrealistic!

I thought the Ferengi were working off of like, an ingrained religious and cultural outlook - like Quark and Rom argue over whether or not they died and went to Ferengi Heaven or Hell and they are both taking it entirely seriously.

Yeah, there's some bit in I think "Little Green Men" where they talk about how they believe that, when a Ferengi dies, they use the profits they earned in life to bid on admission to Ferengi Heaven, and if they can't afford it, they go to Ferengi Hell.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Congratulations, by watching The Naked Now and Code of Honor, you've already made it though the two worst episodes of the first season! I always like reading peoples' first reactions to episodes so I hope you keep it up.

(and Code of Honor is arguably the worst in the whole series)

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 4, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
From Memory Alpha

quote:

An idea for a Star Trek sitcom featuring Lwaxana Troi was suggested by Gene Roddenberry as a cable TV project for the Sci-Fi Channel in 1991. However, his death and the delay in setting up the channel shelved that.
Good God, that would have been a shitshow.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Data Graham posted:

Aren't there literally some episodes dealing with this exact thing? Particularly the "How dare you suggest so-and-so be fixed? He's fine the way he is!" thing, if not the "Maybe people would actually choose to be disabled in such-and-such way" thing.

DS9 Melora comes to mind. And it was actually written by a wheelchair-bound man, but he didn't like how it turned out after some rewrites.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baronjutter posted:

Might make a good episode to have the crew stranded somewhere for a good while and by the way one of your favourite totally normal seeming characters has a serious mental illness which is perfectly manageable with some future medication, but now they've run out and it really sucks.

It would have been cool if they did this in DS9 after O'Brien had to start taking space antidepressants to keep him even after he got mind-imprisoned. I don't think they ever mentioned that again after the episode where it happened.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Quark/Grillka is the best romance in Star Trek.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nessus posted:

The thing I wonder about is the more alien aliens, which presumably exist but are - for budget reasons - rarely seen. Like some of those dudes have to be in the Federation, even if they're veiled by the production budget.

There was some novel that explained this by having separate ships for aliens with weird physiologies, so that their ships can have environmental conditions that are better suited to them. Like, there are ships just for Horta, for instance.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tunicate posted:

The next star trek tv series should be literally Sector General

Gene actually thought of something like that back in the day.

quote:

During the second season of The Original Series, Gene Roddenberry and Darlene Hartman (writer of unproduced episode "Shol") came up with an idea for a spin-off series entitled Hopeship, which would have been about the voyages of a Federation hospital vessel. The series would have included Doctor M'Benga (Booker Bradshaw) in the regular cast. Despite the series concept never being realized within the Star Trek universe, Hartman later wrote the idea in the form of a novel in 1994. (These Are the Voyages: TOS Season Two)
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek_projects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Falken posted:

There's no guilt in skipping Nagus/Ferengi episodes and mirror universe episodes in DS9, is there?

We just can't listen to Zek's horrific, cringey voice, all the "females" bullshit.

The magnificent Ferengi was pretty awesome however.

Profit and Lace is skippable, the others aren't. :colbert: