Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tighclops posted:

I'm hoping they've taken it down due to an overwhelmingly negative response

It should be taken down AS garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nazareth posted:

Certainly the Ferengi were a poor execution since all I've heard about them were "Space Jews" or whatever crass accusations of anti-Semitism the Internet threw at Roddenberry.

It's been argued in previous Trek threads that the Bajorans, Cardassians, Federation, and Ferengi are all Jews In Space in some way. The Klingons could be the ancient Israelites, arguably.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Q_res posted:

Actually, there's a pretty good argument to be made that DS9 was actually quite unpopular with the die-hard Trek fans at the time. Because of the "no ship" thing (at the beginning, anyway) and the real loonies who hated it for "betraying Gene's vision".

I vaguely recall the no ship thing bothering me, but I can distinctly remember, even though I was a kid, that Sisko's wife was apparently played by some lady they brought in off the street and not a professional actor.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm just hoping they got some science fiction writers to produce some unique scripts. I couldn't care less about the character development or interactions between the captain, the doctor, some alien, etc.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If Klingon blood wine was made from Klingon blood, wouldn't it look like Pepto Bismol?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Watched the first three movies recently. Forgot how many shots were blatantly re-used. I'm guessing audiences at the time didn't mind, since they didn't have home video. Also, Robin Curtis, Best Saavik.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Discovery is going to be bad and we're going to be lectured about why we're wrong for knowing it's bad.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Argument: The TNG movies were never going to be great because Picard was not a strong enough character to lead a film franchise. Stewart's a fine actor, of course, but the character of John Luck Pickerd was too diplomatic and, quite frankly, frail to take the Enterprise on a big screen adventure.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Dark One posted:

This is pretty much the thread consensus. The movies generally evolve into The Picard And Data Show as they go on.

Picard's relationship with Data never seemed like the ideal backbone for a big TNG film series, to me. Picard's political intrigue with Worf ended up having lasting consequences for half the galaxy. Alas, Worf's role in the movies was reduced to background noise and getting shot down and negated again. I don't even remember Worf in Nemesis. I think he drove the dune buggy? This is the guy who set up the leadership of the Klingon empire, then dismantled it (by hand, quite literally), was made king, but turned the job down on principle. Worf's the poo poo, Data's just some guy.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DrNutt posted:

Lol. I never watched Voyager because it kept putting me to sleep in the pilot, but I'm giving it another shot. It's hilarious how quickly it does away with any goodwill it started with for its novel setting and blended crew. By episode 3 the crew is pretty much integrated, the a plot is dependent on time travel and you've got Captain Janeway going with the most awful interpretation of the prime directive possible. Sprinkle in some idiotic technobabble and extremely clumsy social commentary. This show is loving dogshit and I'd sooner watch Enterprise again than another minute of this dreck.

"Try watching Voyager."

"It didn't work!"

"Try it again!"

".......Nope, still a bad show!"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Dark One posted:

It's baffling that they can't supply 1080p streams. They aren't running on 2006-era youtube hardware.

The dilithium crystals have been retconned all to hell, cap'n. We cannae get a higher resolution without breachin' the bloody core.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Masterpiece Society was incredibly boring. At least Troi got laid consensually, for once.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jeb's not probated, he's merely phased to a different time. He's on page 14, just before he started watching all of TNG.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Just watched The Inner Light for the first time in many years. :sadwave:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Binary Badger posted:

Remember that comic that some of us posted here, Mirror Broken? About the adventures of Mirror Captain Picard, who wound up stealing a roided-up mirror Galaxy class ship and gathering a bunch of broken losers to become his Enterprise crew?

Seems like IDW (the publisher of that comic) felt it sold well enough to do a followup..

http://www.startrek.com/article/tng-mirror-saga-through-the-mirror-out-in-may

Picard vs. Goatee Picard! Who will win?!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Beachcomber posted:

Rewatching VI and having thoughts.

1. Do Klingons really believe Shakespeare was Klingon?

He attracted mates with poetry. He probably did not bathe often. He had a beard.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like that orchid should be a prized reagent for creating new and unexpected fusion cuisine, and fusion fashion.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Weaves and weaves o' comm jorst shootin' outta me, lad!

edit: O'brien telling Cardie war stories but with waves and waves, you get the idea.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

After The War posted:

They did phase out the awesome undershirts by the TNG appearances, though, because... vintage sewing machines.

At least "Tapestery" had an undershirt, though, unlike this abomination:

YOU PAJAMIFIED THE ONE NON-PAJAMA UNIFORM! :rant:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
While searching the net to see if anybody ever calculated an exchange rate between real money and gold pressed latinum, I discovered that some loving fucker made a cryptocurrency named gold pressed latinum. :argh:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Maybe we can run an inverted denim beam through the main deflector and...

The denim is multiplying exponentially. At this rate, it will completely consume the Enterprise in...

Denim based lifeforms? Could they be sentient?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The denim must be worn HERE! This far, no further!

points at waistline

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The episode where they find the jeans all the major Star Trek races got their pants from. And it's never mentioned again, of course.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Ugly Bags of Mostly Denim

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The most logical explanation is that the humans who drew the Star Trek star charts recalled that Vulcan was said to be roughly 16 light years from Sol and selected a real star close to that distance to serve as Vulcan's star. In the purely fictional universe of Star Trek that isn't crossing over into this one, of course, Jim.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

:supaburn:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

skasion posted:

The really daft thing about Musk being namedropped in Disco is not that Musk is a douchebag, although he is; it’s that it directly calls attention to how incoherent Trek’s conception of the development of spaceflight is compared to how spaceflight has developed in actual fact. Like every other attempt to make Trek continue to be a story of our own future, rather than the retrofuture that it actually is, it’s an obvious unforced error in how the writers conceive of the work.

Wasn't Khan launched asleep into deep space in 1996 in Star Trek's timeline? Musk is way behind, no cryogenically frozen genetically enhanced dictators on his rockets whatsoever.

edit: Looked it up, forgot Khan commandeered the Botany Bay and put himself to sleep. But it was 96.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Comrade Fakename posted:

The real answer to “who does all the poo poo jobs in the Federation?” is “robots but the show hasn’t got the budget to show that”.
They have the budget but the robots keep going sentient.

Data is the worst of them. He's the ringleader, telling them they can be human, organizing them, teaching them to withhold their labor, putting a major dent in our quarterly earnings. Send Section 31 in to bust up the robot unions, assassinate any of those "we've moved beyond the need for money" Federation types, and have death squads mind rape a few nuns while we're at it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Brawnfire posted:

Raptor was hella awesome. I played it until I got so bored that I made it my goal to destroy only buildings and just completely avoid the enemies.

I didn't believe my friend when he told me messing with the switches before the level loads lets you fight monkeys and cows with rocket launchers. The rare game where your lying rear end friend is telling the truth about goofy Easter eggs.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We have begun watching Voyager. Why does Janeway tell convicted criminal Nick Locarno that Tuvok is undercover in the Maquis? Why would you tell a convicted criminal Starfleet intel? That he doesn't even need, he's just a pilot?

Why did she tell CHAKOTAY that Tuvok is undercover in his Maquis cell?

Why did we need a Neelix bubble bath scene?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

8one6 posted:

From what I've heard the producers honestly expected Neelix to be the breakout popular character of the series.

I remember reading actors were competing fiercely for the part.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

QWAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Do the Maquis crew ever mutiny and take over the ship? That would make for a good season ending cliffhanger. I bet it never happens.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Magk'Qi :gowron:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Astroman posted:

It was like a Catholic visiting the Vatican.

But it was Star Trek V.
"What does God need with a Vatican?"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Voyager's second and third episodes are both the same subspace distortion causes time paradox thing and dumb rear end Paris needs it explained to him repeatedly. Then he gets shot by a laser gun that looks like a regular gun because they couldn't be bothered to find some laser gun props.

I think First Contact was my first theater Trek movie experience. It was loving great, tbh. "Assimilate this." gently caress yeah.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Brawnfire posted:

The Voyager movies were the best ones.

I bet they'd sooner make a Voyager movie than a DS9 one, Berman and Braga, those bastards.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Whalley posted:

Quick what's the god I gotta pray to or sacrifice or whatever to make this happen

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Spacebump posted:

Last night I learned people think Next Generation gets better when Riker grows a beard. What makes it better from season 2 onward?

They told you. The Beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I can't do it. I can't watch every episode of Star Trek. I can't get through the first ten episodes of Voyager. It's just so loving boring. No way in Hell am I doing seven seasons of this poo poo. This will add nothing good to my life. I officially give up.