Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
One of the (many) problems with Picard and Discovery is that they sound too american.

All the best trek feels more multicultural, TOS had russian and scottish accents on the bridge as well as whatever sulu is doing. TNG has picard and troi. DS9 had Irish(ish) and British. The only non american accent in discovery is Georgiou and she's the best part. I think they talk a lot differently than previous treks too, more formal maybe. The characters from disco and picard sound like the cast of the OC.

If anything I want more accents. Why not give Saru a thick Italian accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Astroman posted:

Picard and Rios on STP speak a French and Spanish so strong, even the most advanced Universal Translator cannot translate it.

Hell, I didn't even notice non-hologram Rios had an accent, shows how much attention I paid to Picard...

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Epicurius posted:

In Picard, Patrick Stewart, Harry Treadway, Alison Pill, Santiago Cabrera, Evan Evagora, Jonathan del Arco, Orla Brady, and Marina Sirtis all are non-American by birth.

And it was still a hot pile of rear end. maybe my theory's wrong.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
So I started watching enterprise again for the first time since it first aired and it's actually good?!?! Maybe Picard and disco have just set the bar so low that even this seems well written but I'm enjoying it.

It seems a lot more genuine than the modern offerings. Like someone who enjoyed star trek wrote it.

Although one thing I've noticed, that I didn't pick up on the first time watching it, is that it's easily the horniest trek. Clearly written with one hand.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

-asking why Troi existed

Is it every explicitly confirmed that Troi is only given a seat on the bridge because she's the daughter of an important ambassador?

Like 1/3rd of the crew of any Starfleet vessel are already psychic or empathic or whatever and I'm sure they don't need someone telling them every time a Romulan is hiding something.

Also why does she never acknowledge that the ships computer sounds exactly like her mother?