Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jean Luc, Geordi's Specs,
Mysteries on the Holodecks!
Asteroids, Triple Droids,
Telepathic Betazoids!
Transporter Deadly Claw
Visitor from LA Law!
Photons, No Kirk,
Captain has gone berserk!
Shuttlecraft, Counselor Troi,
Doctor Crusher's little boy!
Klingon Rites, Parasites, New Heights, Phaser Fights,

Data's Head, Tasha's Dead,
Riker's Hangin' by a thread!
Celebration, Transformation,
Everyone to battle stations!

We didn't start the series, It's the Next Generation on your favorite station We didn't start the series, But when we are gone it will still be on and on and on... We didn't start the series...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_9eGjZoYoc

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rhyno posted:

DS9 2x15 - the one where they beam down and nothing works because the crazy lady has a jammer or something.

So they solve the problem and get ready to leave and OF COURSE nobody wants to leave because 10 years of primitive life and no medicine or anything is totally worth sticking to. UGH.

I hate that episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's a new thread and it's suddenly topical so I'm going to take the chance to plug the episode of my podcast where we had a Trek author on to talk about the essential episodes of the franchise.
UD127: The Essential Star Trek

8one6
May 20, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I think it's a normal success/failure ratio for any kind of huge event. Woodstock '99 was some poo poo. Pop culture conventions have just gotten a lot more popular in the past decade or so, so there's more attempts, and thus, more failures. Dashcon was the nadir.

If most are run like the one I run gaming at then everything is usually a cluster-gently caress and half the departments get nothing done until the month before the con.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Is there anybody that didn't like the previous two movies or most other modern blockbusters that was impressed by the latest one?

Me. I didn't like ST09 and actively avoided watching Into Darkness after hearing some of the plot stuff from a friend.
I saw Beyond today. It's great. I want to go see it again at some point this weekend.
Go see it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Am I the only one who thought the planet sets looked/felt like modern effects updates of TOS sets? I mean that in the best possible way. Like the physical alien structures felt very sci-fi by way of 1960's to me.

Edit:
\/\/\/\/

Kesper North posted:

So the odd numbered movies are good now :v:

Remember, if you count Galaxy Quest (which you should) the even good/odd bad pattern still holds true.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 23, 2016

8one6
May 20, 2012

Allen_Aldo posted:

Does this mean the new trek will be heavily 2001 inspired like TMP?

Dear sweet Squire of Gothos I hope not.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't mind it, but it doesn't make much sense. What happens when you build a ship wider than the doors? Suddenly your huge gently caress-off spacedock isn't compatible with the newest ships.

Then you just scale up the design and completely rebuild it.
Or you hastily reedit old footage to make it seem like that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I really won't mind if the CG looks kinda eh, as long as it's versatile enough to enable storytelling possibilities. It's the writing I'm more concerned with.

He produced Dead like Me, which is one of my favorite tv shows, but he also wrote Spirit Folk, Alice, and Retrospect while working on Voyager (where he was a writer, story editor and co-producer for 81 episodes).

Now I'm not going to hold all of Voyager against him, but I'm going to be taking a wait and see approach before I sign up for CBS all access.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Okay seriously, these Vic Fontaine episodes are the worst.

They are. It's my least favorite part of DS9's later seasons.

8one6
May 20, 2012

My fanfic theory is that an English superman turned the French language/accent into a dead language ala Latin during the eugenics wars. By the 24th century only historical scholars, people seriously into their cultural heritage, and Data speak it fluently.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I played Star Trek Ascendancy tonight. It's pretty fun, but you'll need to block out a decent amount of time to play. I really like the way you assemble the galaxy map. I'm glad I picked it up at Gen Con.

I'll get some pictures of the game sometime next week.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Robert Picardo tweets pictures of the cool places he goes and hangs out with Bill Nye. Garrett Wang is seems to like nothing more than meeting fans at Trek cons.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Gonz posted:

Had Enterprise not been cancelled, mostly forgettable, often poo poo Shran was going to become a regular member of the NX-01 crew.

We were robbed of that. So disappointing. :(

Blame the corporate masters all you want. In the end it took them 3 and a half seasons to do anything interesting with the show.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Halfway through season four of Voyager and Belana is pregnant as gently caress isn't she?

If she's wearing the weird coat with the pocket full of useless looking tools then yes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

A friend of mine has decided to check out Star Trek, having never seen an episode (but being a nerd of the type who will probably really like it). She wants to watch a handful of representative episodes from each series, so no Big Important Formula-Breaking Episodes like Far Beyond the Stars or The Inner Light.

What would be some good candidates for this list of Fairly Regular But Good episodes?

I will take this opportunity to shamelessly self promote my podcast's Essential Star Trek episode. We had Trek author Dayton Ward on to discuss the 24 essential hours of Trek across the franchise.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's some kind of bad cliche...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwZiezIxCVU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Met posted:

I got 2 and a half minutes in and had to check my progress through the video because I thought I surely must almost done.

8 more minutes of this?!

Voyager's terribleness never ceases to amaze me.

I was watching the first part of Future's End today and they say it 3 loving times in the first 5 minutes of the episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm just going to count STD lucky if CBS springs for the budget to build an actual physical set. If the show doesn't have a decent budget I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a green screen suck fest like Sanctuary.

8one6
May 20, 2012

remusclaw posted:

...Russia's Buran Space Shuttle ...
Oooh, urban exploration pics.
http://www.businessinsider.com/phot...in-this-room-24

Those are amazing!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Zurui posted:

Watching "Relativity." Why couldn't Seven have worn a uniform regularly?

Because then they couldn't use photos of her in the catsuit while promoting the show.

I agree that she looked great in a regular uniform.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, the end of Season 3/ start of Season 4 is pretty much the exact point when Voyager stopped really trying to be Voyager and became TNG in the Delta Quadrant with lots of flashy gimmicks to keep people watching...

WickedHate posted:

On the other hand, it's not like trying to be Voyager worked anyway.

^^^^
Rewatch Caretaker. Voyager abandoned its premises in the last 10 minutes of its pilot episode. "Two crews" that are indistinguishable from each other. gently caress, there's no real internal conflict on Voyager after the first season other than the guy spying for Seska.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I want more defiance and I don't care who knows it

If we're wishing for things can I get a couple more seasons of Stargate?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rewatching Message in a Bottle. Neelix mentioned that he was brushing up on American cuisine so he would have "marketable job skills" when the ship gets back to Earth.

No one has told him about how the Federation works, have they?

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm cautiously optimistic. Bryan Fuller has made some excellent tv, including Dead Like Me which is one of my favorite shows.
On the other hand he was involved with 81 episodes of Voyager.
On the other, other hand by most accounts he wasn't given a lot of input on those episodes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I want no goddamn holodeck. If the writers want to do a period piece they have to do a cowboy planet.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I stand by the theory that the Voyager debrief was the most epic act of perjury in the Federation's history.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I have TNG on while I work on some things. It took me a few horrible seconds to remember that after Elementary, Dear Data the next episode is the Nutrageous Okona.

Season one is bad, but season 2 is wildly uneven.

8one6
May 20, 2012

After rewatching The Royale a) it's not as bad as I remember it being and b) Jill Jacobson is super cute.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Just saw the one where Riker temporarily gets assigned to a Klingon ship. What a loving champion, just chowing into all that Klingon food, getting into fights and taking command of the ship when poo poo goes down. Plus he totally nailed those Klingon chicks.

"One... or both?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been trying to find a Sci fi show I could get through while doing other work. Voyager us the only trek I haven't seen more then the first episode of. Is it worth working through or should I just be content watching this thread make fun of it?

We make fun of Voyager because it deserves it, but there are some good episodes and most can be considered "Ehh, I'll watch it if it's on" tier. I say go for it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Hyperriker posted:

Has this shown up here yet?

Because oh my god

amarillo design bureau dot jay-peg

8one6
May 20, 2012

MorgaineDax posted:

On another note, I'm binging through all of Star Trek since it came on Netflix. I haven't watched DS9 or Voyager since they ended.

Kes and Neelix's relationship is so much worse than I remember when I was a teenager. Like, one of the worst, creepiest relationships on TV, let alone Trek.

Everything about Kes and Neelix was, at best. poorly thought out. Their relationship doubly so.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Dicky mouse posted:

Hey do you guys think star trek would be better off as an anthology series?

Basically have like 12 episode season will a over reaching plot and then boom just do something else

I would love to see that personally. If they all took place in the same era it would also be "relatively" less expensive since the props/costumes would be reusable. Do 3 9-episode series a season, each one on a different ship/station. Hell, you could finally do the "set a show on a Klingon ship" thing without having to commit to an entire broadcast season.

8one6
May 20, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Always found it weird that Trek people still use holodecks when there have been so many moments where the holograms start to run amok like in westworld.

A magic room that can make all of my fantasies happen at the cost of a slim chance that it might kill me.

I don't personally know anyone who wouldn't play those odds.

gently caress, people know that smoking WILL kill you and they still do it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Nessus posted:

I would hesitate to call a man who tries to jack his rescuer's starship in order to carve out a star empire "well adjusted."

Right, if Kahn had actually been well adjusted he would have played the long game. What's one ship in a galaxy you barely know.

8one6
May 20, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

Sometimes I wonder how Deep Space Nine would've gone if the wormhole was never found and Sisko managed to keep the Cardassians at bay, all "frontier" like Bashir puts it.

Well, DS9 would have still been the largest (and only I think) space port for Bajor but without the drama/excitement/adventure the wormhole brings it would just end up being the mostly boring office job style posting Starfleet expected it to be. I seriously doubt Bajor would have moved to become a member of the Federation. Starfleet would have run DS9 for maybe 5 years before being asked to leave.

8one6
May 20, 2012

WickedHate posted:

What's the general opinion on Frakes as a director?

From what I understand "Two takes" Frakes is reliable and workmanlike.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Platonicsolid posted:

Which when you have to crank out 26 episodes a season counts for a lot.

MikeJF posted:

Mmm. As I understand he's competent, reliable, makes for a happy set and cast, will give you a decent enough result, but won't be elevating any material through his direction.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, but he won't exactly be winning any Oscars any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Let's unpack this a bit. Does someone having sex with a holo character qualify as the holodeck getting laid?

Also, since costumes, when worn, are brought in from the outside, it would stand to reason anything people bring has to come back out. Soooo... who wipes down the loads?

Technically it's the computer getting laid if anything.

Also the ship is self cleaning. Like your oven.

Also ewww.