Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’ve never really been much of a Star Trek fan, but for some reason I’m excited about the Picard show. But I’ve only ever seen a handful of TNG and TOS episodes (enough to know the main players and how they relate to each other), I’ve seen the first two TNG movies, and I don’t know anything about Voyager or DS9.

To try and rectify that with an eye towards not being lost when I watch Picard (next year wtf), I’ve gone through a bunch of the internet’s “best of Picard” lists to cobble together a super-best-of-Picard list. I also put in all the Borg episodes I could find since it seems they will have a big presence in the show as well.

Here’s where I need the internet’s help. First, is there anything missing from this list? Or anything on it that really shouldn’t be there?

Encounter at Farpoint (S01E01&E02)

The Battle (S01E09)

The Big Goodbye (S01E12)

Conspiracy (S01E25)

Where Silence Has Lease (S02E02)

Measure of a Man (S02E09)

Q Who (S02E16)

Samaritan Snare (S02E17)

Who Watches the Watchers (S03E04)

Yesterday’s Enterprise (S03E15)

Allegiance (S03E18)

Captain’s Holiday (S03E19)

Menage a Trois (S03E24)

The Best of Both Worlds (S03E26/S04E01)

Family (S04E02)

QPid (S04E20)

The Drumhead (S04E21)

Redemption (S04E26)

Darmok (S05E02)

Disaster (S05E05)

Conundrum (S05E14)

I Borg (S05E23)

The Inner Light (S05E25)

Chain of Command (S06 E10&11)

Tapestry (S06E15)

Starship Mine (S06E18)

Descent (S0626 & S0701)

Gambit Pts 1&2 (S07 E04&05)

Phantasms (S07E06)

Attached (S07E08)

All Good Things (S07E25&26)

The Four TNG Movies

Second, what would be a comparable list for Voyager? I’m only including Voyager because Seven of Nine was in the Picard trailer, but I really don’t know the first thing about Voyager so I wouldn’t know what to search for. I assume I’m looking for a Best of Voyager list with an emphasis toward 7 of 9 episodes and Borg episodes? What about DS9? Did they have any Borg episodes? Are either of those shows even worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah. If you're gonna try to cover all potential bases going on what we know so far, it's not exactly optional. Too bad it was something of a turd. Well, part 2 was, as part 2s have an unfortunate tendency to be.

Meh, I don’t mind if there’s a turd here or there. I’m probably gonna watch more than just what’s in the list. I’ll use the list as a “must watch” roadmap, and pick and choose episodes in between to watch if they sound interesting or, as many of them do, extremely silly.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

I would ditch Decent and add Redemption II and Unification I and II, the Phoenix, and the First Duty.

corn in the bible posted:

There are a fair number of borg episodes in voyager, but the show as a whole is pretty bad and quite dull for the most part. If you watch a lot of TNG and want More Star Trek, well, that's basically the entire reason Voyager exists, but barring that it's not really worth your time

Angry Salami posted:

Seven of Nine/Borg focused Voyager list:

Man, I'm glad Discovery's gone back to TOS style overly-florid episode titles. Looking at a list of bland one-word titles and trying to remember what the episode was about is no fun...

Mooseontheloose posted:

You may want to add the Defector and the Neutral Zone to the list to get some Romulus flavor that involved Picard.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

more picard episodes

Thanks for all the input! I probably won't remove any episodes from the list since I've got plenty of time, but this is a great roadmap to get me going.

Regarding the Voyager list, will I really not be lost if I just watch the Pilot and then skip ahead to season 03 episode 17?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

8one6 posted:

It's the random good episodes one. The worst episodes in a season tend to get less bad as the show goes on though.

Know of a good list of the good ones? I’ve been trying to watch Voyager using the list at https://www.letswatchstartrek.com and even the ones they’re saying to watch are pretty boring/bland.

I think the only episodes that held my attention so far were Meld (because Brad Dourif makes anything gold) and the one where the Q wants to kill himself.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

8one6 posted:

Looking at the series list on Wikipedia I'd say
S1
Eye of the Needle
Heroes and Demons
S2
Projections
Threshold (this is THE bad episode of the series, you have to)
Meld
Death Wish
The Thaw
Tuvix
S3
Future's End parts 1 and 2
Scorpion p1
S4
Scorpion p2
Year of Hell p 1 and 2
Message in a Bottle
Living Witness
S5
Timeless
Bride of Chaotica!
Relativity
S6
Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy
Blink of an Eye
Life Line
S7
Body and Soul
Flesh and Blood
Shattered (the only good Chuck O'Tay episode)
Q2 (Q's son is played by the actor's real life son)
Endgame (because it's the last episode)

That's just my opinion though.

It's kind of Doctor and Seven heavy and I guess season 2 had the most good episodes per my list.

Epicurius posted:

I'd probably add to that list:

S3
Real Life
Distant Origin

S4
Mortal Coil

S5
30 Days
Think Tank
Equinox Part 1

S6
Equinox Part 2
Riddles
The Voyager Conspiracy
Pathfinder
Virtuoso
Live Fast and Prosper
Muse

S7
Author, Author

Thanks for these lists! Like I said, I had been going off of this list, but that list seems to be constructed from a "watch these episodes or you won't know what's going on with the overarching Kazon plot!" perspective. Whereas I'm finding anytime I see an episode that is heavy on Kazon poo poo I immediately lose interest.

EDIT: Forgot to add - I went ahead and watched Threshold after seeing it on this list. Holy poo poo that was bad. But it's stealthily bad, since the first 15 minutes just make it seem like any ordinary bland episode, and then it takes a turn and just keeps getting worse and worse until BOOM space slug sex.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 13, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't know what the difference is between the two Trek threads so forgive me if this is the wrong thread:

I recently started watching DS9 for the first time. It's ok, but I'm only at the end of the first season so far. Then I saw this:

https://www.thevulcanreporter.com/exclusives/star-trek-deep-space-nine-remaster/

Is this a legit website or is this bullshit? I would think that legit news of a DS9 remaster would be everywhere, as opposed to really only reported on by one site. If it's true, I'll probably wait and continue my watching once the remaster is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m making my way through DS9 for the first time and I’m on the episode where Sisko and Odo go to earth to investigate a bombing by changelings

Sisko’s father’s refusal to take the changeling blood test because “MAH FREEDOMS” has real antivaxer energy in TYOOL 2022