Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't even imagine convertible breeze while wearing gigantic Ferengi ears.

probably felt great on the lobes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

King Possum III posted:

Commander Riker is welcome to join us if he's up for a threesome.

If?

Dude probably has a Horga'hn for a keychain

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trent posted:

The "arrowhead" insignia just evolved from the A in NASA logos iirc, so it would make sense as a generic Starfleet logo

Its not an "A." The red thing in the logo is actually an airplane.

Read this here book: http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/emblems_of_exploration_detail.html

Start on page 57. It tickles me that the Starfleet insignia evolves out of a drawing of a supersonic airfoil, not a spacecraft.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DS9 was probably better for not getting a movie because it would have had a ton of Prophet nonsense because of the Sisko returning from the wormtemple

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Worst part of All Good Things.

Nope, Admiral Riker demands a hot rod.

If anything, they should have retconned that when someone hails his ship, they just hear Click Click Boom for a bit before Admiral Riker answers the TV.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The movie has a lot of problems and a few misplaced scenes, but then it completely disintegrates after a starship semi-casually crashes into a major city and Spock fights Sherlock on top of a hover garbage truck.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timby posted:

You just wrote a Metal Gear Solid plot.

Only if the clone that orchestrated your clone murder was a secret clone of you too, made to test you to see if you could order your clone to kill a clone of itself.

In a VR simulation.

Being run on your clone.

By the original you.

Who is also a clone.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HIJK posted:

then lies about it with no regret.

But he's from Starfleet and I have it on good authority that they don't lie

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Platonicsolid posted:

I always thought it would make more sense for warp factors to be ship-specific. That seems to be the way it was used I TNG - instead of "ahead full" or "ahead half" or "flank speed".

Yeah, you just say "Warp 3 is, like, 30% of maximum output on the thrusters," then whatever distance you cover in whatever time turns out to be how fast that ship is at Warp 3.

That's how diesel locomotives work. You have 10 (or 11 if you're England) throttle settings ranging from 0 to 8, plus an "off" setting. The notch number is linked the power plant output to the traction motors that actually turn the wheels, but the amount of speed you get is related to the interaction of the load, environment, and brakes.

Actually, now that I think about it, that sort of business would lend itself well to tons of technobabble. "Captain's log stardate whothefuckknows. The Enterprise is proceeding as fast as possible through the Fartknocker Nebula to deliver vital medical supplies to the planet of Catfancier. While we are running at Warp Factor 8, molecular nonsense drag from the nebula has reduced our speed by almost half. Also, power demands from Riker's upcoming bachelorgy may cut into our speed even more..."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Even combat focused, Trek uses space as a naval allegory. You don't have fighters for the same reason you don't have little one seater boats zooming around enemy battleships with machine guns lobbing grenades onto the deck.

No, because that's dumb.

You give them torpedoes or anti-ship missiles and, well, turns out that's a great idea.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nazareth posted:

Certainly the Ferengi were a poor execution since all I've heard about them were "Space Jews" or whatever crass accusations of anti-Semitism the Internet threw at Roddenberry. I'm not sure if that's fair since his purported political views match up with the intention of creating the Ferengi as a strawman race for capitalism.

When you set out to make a strawman ultra-capitalist and they end up looking like something that fell out of a 1930s Germany anti-Jewish poster, well, quacks like duck people gonna say duck.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tunicate posted:

Tobacco kills of the person paying you money, weapons kill off other people :pseudo:

Quark had no problem selling or using all manner of undoubtedly addictive or harmful substances. He probably just didn't like people putting fire that close to their faces.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rhyno posted:

It's been around a long time, and there's tons of copycat products. I think they have NFL contracts or something.

They have no NFL contracts (really), but have a bunch of college football ones. They've been in a bigger push to general apparel in the last five or six years. I remember all of my friends that went over to Iraq and Afghanistan back in 2002-2008 all raving about how Under Armour was the best thing they could get their hands on.

Hilariously, they did have the XFL contract.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Dude, Under Armor (or any other similar fabric-- there's a bunch of them) in hot weather is the bomb. Looking fake athletic is just an added perk.

The cold weather gear is pretty awesome too

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trent posted:

Holy poo poo they have a better metaphor for post 9/11 terrorism than any show that's ever actually tried to make one.

That's because its not one.

Its the general security dilemma that's existed since the beginnings of organized society.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I read that as a half gay Klingon.

Probably be an episode where he gets split into a gay and not gay Klingon and the gay one gives the not gay one Something to Think About

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

First Contact isn't as good as it should be because it doesn't make sense to me.

You're telling me that the Borg 1) can't aim for poo poo bombarding a static target and 2) can't drop anything with more explosive power than a gallon of gasoline?

Seriously they'd have inflicted more damage if they'd just kamikazed into the place.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope for her sake she immediately left after that...that guy's creepy as all hell

I'm generally pretty in the "whatever you're into" boat, but dude you should not have bought that vest or that hat and then decided to wear both at the same time.

Unless you literally work inside an olden tymes iced cream parlor. And only wear them at work.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That station model is the 1987 Freedom baseline, but with independently moving solar arrays instead of paired ones.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rhyno posted:

They just found a '37 Ford floating in space.

I hate my life.

yeah but didn't THE CITIES!!!!!!!! blow your mind?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I kinda wish they did have to use shuttles. I always found scenes that involved shuttles getting shot at or stuck in weirdo atmospheres more fun than "welp transporters broke I guess."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big lumbering ships that have no evasive capacity and rely on passive defenses and no active countermeasures and still can't accurately hit each other with phasers?

Where do I sign up for the lightweight ship that's pretty much an engine dragging around 12 photon torpedo launcher and a switch that says ripple fire?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It's so funny he has a fake disguise beard instead of just concentrating for a few minutes and spontaneously growing one himself like we know that the Riker can

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I know WARP 9 ENGAGE!!!!!! is a Trek convention, but they'd have been better served by just using nautical conventions or reactor output percentages.

I don't know how fast Soviet Submarine goes, but in Hunt for Red October when the one dude says "go to 105% on the reactor" you know they're in a drat hurry.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Episode starts with Riker in the future worrying about what the Pegasus cloaking device means.

He confides in Troi, who suggests a holoprogram that might help him.

Turns out back during the Romulan War, the NX-01 captured a Romulan cloaking device. Elements of Starfleet, still aligned with General Robocop of Mars, want to use the cloaking technology to defeat the Romulans outright, then turn on their allies with their new upper hand. Archer hems and haws over what to do, Trip dies for some reason because of a near mutiny on board the NX-01 over what to do, but ultimately cooler heads prevail and leads directly the treaty signing during the war that causes the Federation. It ends just as Archer steps up to start the speech (which is probably too long to contain in the episode anyhow)

Riker learns a valuable lesson somehow that feeds into his betrayal of Captain Guy From Lost.

Episode ends with Archer wrapping up the speech, which ends with the "to boldly go" bit. During that voiceover, you see a montage of future Federation ships, just like the opening credits of the show.

There, I wrote you a better episode in...about four minutes?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You still run into the problem of the framework relying on viewer's knowledge of an (at that time) 11 year old TNG episode that most people probably don't remember.

Not really, because you say it all over again:

Riker: Hey, remember how that Admiral I used to work for came over to visit and back in the old days we lost that ship we were on?
Troi: Yeah.
Riker: Well, here's the deal: there was actually a mutiny on board because it was a black project to develop a Federation cloaking device and now we might have found the missing ship, so I'm a little worried about what's going to happen because that poo poo is totally illegal.
Troi: And you're not sure what to do because you're split between loyal to the law and loyalty to a man you respect?
Riker: Plus I was sort of on the Evil Admiral's side at the time, so I'm not sure if I broke the law.
Troi: Huh, tough one there. There's a time, way back at the beginning of the Federation that was very similar. Maybe spend some time exploring it in the holodeck and see what insight you get?
Riker: Neat, I'll try not bone someone in it too, maybe!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Also, I think it's hilarious that they thought the greatest player of all time would be a chubby Asian guy.

Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics. Calculate the velocity, V, in relation to the trajectory, T, in which G, gravity, of course, remains a constant. It's not complicated.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ogmius815 posted:

Uhh. Have you ever seen a baseball game?

Or golf, for that matter.

The average carry on a tee shot (the distance it goes in the air) for a pro is 275 yards. Keep in mind that doesn't include roll and that's far enough for getting on the green for every par 3 on the planet in one shot and within wedge distance of most par 4s.

The average person is around 210. That 65 yards makes a hell of a huge difference. Also regular guy has garbage accuracy on long shots, so it's probably under a tree in the rough.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

armoredgorilla posted:

If you can't get a concussion in the course of expected play, it's not a sport.

Swimming and track and field, not sports.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah but swimming has another kind of risk attached to it

http://www.hepatitiscentral.com/news/is_hepatitis_tr/

Yeah but if you get a head injury while running, you are probably a toddler

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It's all fun until you say computer end program and the holo Babe Ruth and holo Goering turn real, then team up because they have the same physique

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gau posted:

the Enterprise has a BBS - like, not a Space Ship Forum but literally a BBS that they call a BBS and has posts like Usenet. It's hilariously nineties.

Picard faxed orders around in the first TNG episode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I got to appear in something that was filmed for the 50th anniversary. My neckbeard grew two sizes, just like the Grinch's heart.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baka-nin posted:

Cool, any details, or has the iron fist of CBS got you under some kind of bind?

Come to think of it, they didn't make us sign anything and they sent an agency wide email about it...

NASA filmed a bunch of little group "happy 50th" group things. I'm in one of them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I love how after getting burned by lazy writing on Voyager, they established on Enterprise visually that the NX class has exactly 2 shuttles, and space for exactly 2 shuttles.

However, they never explain where the shuttles are when Archer addresses everyone in the shuttlebay.

"Crewman Smith and Johnson: Go fly around for 10 minutes while the Captain takes the time to explain our mission. We'll tell you what he said later"

Park them outside, like every time anyone that has ever owned a garage does when they need the garage for something other than car storage?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timby posted:

Maybe that wasn't the thought at first, but it didn't take long for manifest destiny to be a leading mindset in North America -- it was 25 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence that John Quincy Adams was promulgating the idea that the whole of the continent ought to be under the control of the Union.

Three hundred years counts as "taking long" in my book.

And is significantly less than exerting de facto and de jure control than a whole planet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJYzUimSaDA

It only took us four takes to get our part right!

JPL wins though. JPL always wins.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Bones is RIPPED.

He does 15 sets of 10 reps of backhanding women that give him too much lip twice a day.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

mllaneza posted:

And the current Vice Chief of Naval Operations is a woman who commanded one of the helicopter assault ships, and later a whole task force built around one. That's not one of the big fleet carriers, but it's close.

Hell, those things displace more than most countries carriers anyhow! The USS Boxer is the 17th heaviest warship in the world and only four of the ones above it aren't American. And only one of those isn't a secondhand piece of ex-Soviet poo poo dusted off 20 years after they started putting it together (the Charles de Gaulle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Now I want to see into the alternate reality where Stan Lee started a cult-like religion.

That universe is 30 Rock, where the alien king living inside Stan Lee founded the Church of Practicology, and it can totally drain the gay right out of you!