Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sanguinia posted:

There's only one proper way to kick this bad boy off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZS2-4-iUJ4

Ugh, this is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PenguinKnight posted:

I know I'm still super early into the show, but this one was pretty drat Good! This is the first one that really got me into the story. I'm amazed that within a couple of episodes the Ferengi went from dweeby hyperactive goblins to an actual threat.

It doesn't last.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
ENT worse than VOY?...Eh, I can kind of see it, but drat if it ain't a close race.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It'd need more pre-planning than airdates, since The Last Outpost says that's the Federation's first visual contact with them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

NSFW https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzXlvwgDCgo

Dang, wanted this on the first page. NSFW lyrics!

When I was a kid I had this memorized. This and Fett's Vette by MC Chris.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

That is the best scene of Star Trucks.

Still not enough to get me to drink root beer, though.

Clearly you've just not drunk enough.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

BREAKING NEWS

the new Trek series will be about the comet seen in the opening credits of Deep Space Nine.

If this was Star Wars that comet would already have a six book series with a critically acclaimed video game tie in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When I was a kid I thought the TNG/X-Men crossover was awesome as hell. That's my secret childhood shame.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure you have many more.

I also liked the Young James Bond series, okay??? Leave me alooooooone :(

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, if you were a straight man who spent the last few decades being paired up with your male co-star, you might want to aggressively assert your heterosexuality to your legions of followers too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm down for a TNG reboot.

Edit:

:allears:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 4, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spalec posted:

Is there any reason to watch TNG/DS9/VOY in air order rather then just watch each series and then move on to the next? Were there much in the way of crossovers?

Not really, although you can tell when a new spin off started. As far as I remember, the Enterprise chats with Quark on the viewscreen, and one episode of DS9 is partly centered around the creator of Voyager's EMH who's played by the same actor.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Deep Space Nine was really, really ahead of it's time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pulaski could have made Measure of the Man even more interesting if they made it her big heel realization.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Apollodorus posted:

Doctor Bashir actually figures prominently into Birthright Part I. He helps Data test out his dream subroutines, and then promises to give him co-author credit when he publishes an academic paper on it.

Wouldn't that be more suited to an engineer?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This was talked about a lot before in the last thread. For my money, basic janitorial stuff is handled by robots and/or other advanced tech, and land is granted on a meritocratic basis. Sisko's dad makes good cajun food so who ever runs that area of the planet gives him a license to run a restaurant in that area on the basis of being culturally significant.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I wish. Didn't we see Jake being a busboy or doing other low-skill poo poo work when they visited Grandpa?

Eh, chalk it up to him intentionally turning them off to teach Jake the value of hard work or something. It's like when kids today visit their grandparents and get their phones taken away and made to chop wood and man grandparents suck.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's an article theorizing about Star Trek's economy I came across recently.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Something I just realized, why is it called a holodeck even when it's not a deck on a ship?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Plus, if fan reaction was already bad in the first season, there would have been riots and lynching if that plot point came to pass. Burning down the original beloved series and salting the earth isn't that endearing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

So gene was a complete rear end in a top hat.

Oh yeah. Douchbag supreme. Star Wars fans can take solace in knowing George Lucas will never be as much of a dick, unless any Jimmy Sevile-esque secrets get revealed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Roddenberry was basically walled out of contractual creative control over the movies, and yet was a constant presence that had to either be appeased or ignored.

Did he need to be appeased as far as the movies went? IIRC he was pissed off throughout the entire ordeal, hence his multiple attempts at sabotage via leaks. He definitely had a tighter hold over TNG, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And his lawyer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If you really wanna destroy auteur theory, you could write a thesis on Gene. Pretty much everything besides the initial concept came from other people. He's somewhere between Bob Kane and Stan Lee.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Which is what subsequently got him fired.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Star Man posted:

And Gene liked Frakes's beard that he grew between seasons one and two and told him to keep it because it made him look more nautical. I'm okay with that decision.

He also made sure there was a scene in the pilot set in Engineering so they'd have to build a set for it, or else the entire show would have mostly just used the bridge.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

So Tasha started as a very blatant Vasquez clone, and then died like a very blatant Vasquez clone.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baloogan posted:

Sounds like Tasha came out of Roddenberry's sexual fantasies.

Roddenberry's progressiveness is only impressive in the 60s when having a minority exist on screen is something new and exciting. "The studio made him get rid of the woman Spock from the pilot because they are mean sexists" is how he spun it, but considering she was played by the woman he was banging...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Or, hell, Maurice Hurley basically contradicting himself, first saying "oh, yeah, Gene had all these wacky ideas that were a huge pain in the rear end" and then saying "b-b-but i was the only one left fighting for ~Gene's vision~ and that's why i had to quit :qq:"

This isn't a contradiction according to his past statements. In an early 90s issue of Starlog, he said:

quote:

"That's just the way it is. Star Trek is not like any other show because it is one unique vision, and if you agree with Gene Roddenberry's vision for the future, you should be locked up somewhere...It's wacky doodle, but it's his wacky doodle. If you can't deal with that, you can't do the show. There are rules on top of rules on top of rules...Gene sees this pollyanish view of the future where everything is going to be fine...I don't believe it, but you have to suppress all that and put it aside. You suspend your own feelings and your own beliefs, and you get with his vision...or you get rewritten."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

If they didn't have a Saucer Sep™ in the pilot, there would have never been a saucer separation because it would be too expensive to film later.

I can't think of another time it was ever used except for Generations anyway.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What if there are no prostitutes, just enough people coming to gently caress that you're never without gently caress partners? It's a big galaxy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What book was this? I wanna read it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

like single-handedly saving the passengers in a Pan-Am crash

Hah! I saw a really schmaltzy comic about that on tumblr and it felt like bullshit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

He seems to think this'll imply that his Sulu was closeted, which is what he's against, but the fact that both timeliness have Demora implies Takei's Sulu was just gay offscreen.

As a queer person, my objection to it is that there isn't any thought to it beyond "uhhh, famous actor is gay, therefore". It's lazy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

remusclaw posted:

Seriously, I think he's probably right that it should be a new character, but there is not enough room in these movies for the characters in them much less anyone new. The films have always been pretty bad about making the crew outside of the main three something of an afterthought and I doubt this one will be any different, so it barely matters if they make Sulu gay or not because it's not like he's going be in the movie for more than a minute or two.

imo it should have been anyone but Taki's character for my previously stated reason. One of the main three especially, but they already kind of blew that. (I mean, they could be bisexual, but that's always used to have characters be exotically queer while still sticking them in hetero relationships)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Ehhh, it's how Trek did (real) race, too. Show it's not a big deal, say no more about it. Of course, they also paired it with heavy-handed metaphor episodes, but this is a movie.

Yeah, but like I said earlier, it's only impressive when minorities being on screen at all is a notable thing. Gays are minor and/or killed characters all the time. We have higher standards, for good reason.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just watched "Relics" and how the hell were they able to just let Scotty go like that? Starfleet Command would poo poo themselves to get their hands on him.

The fact that Scotty always says things will take longer or not do as good as they really can to make himself look better is hilarious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Why? As observed, he never was really shown being much into women in TOS. He's the only major character who didn't have a love interest at any point.

Well, clearly he's asexual then.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As a metaphor for abortion, it's incredibly clumsy. They aren't rape babies, they just aren't, there's no real reason to be so mad about their existence and nothing to gain by destroying them. On a ship as huge as the Enterprise, there had to be at least a few people willing to donate if Picard just took a survey or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Klingon stuff is great when you realize it's all bullshit they just put up to look good among each other, and Worf is the only one who actually believes in those ideals. Very similar to real samurai and knights.