Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So the Asian captain will get a Chinese-name ship because we wouldn't want to confuse the audience.

Better retcon it so Captain Sulu gets command of the USS Kamikaze or something instead of the Excelsior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Delsaber posted:

The safe word is 173467321476Charlie32789777643Tango732Victor73117888732476789764376.

zero

zero

zero

rape

zero

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

It's too bad Kurn will never remember this happy moment.

Kurn was DS9's Tuvix

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Edit: I was wrong about that, nevermind.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 27, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Roddenberry loved spandex onesies

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd like to imagine the Malcorans (from First Contact) went on their merry way without warp drive, then just got casually invaded by the Dominion during its foray into the Alpha Quadrant. Welcome to the galaxy, suckers.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

Doesn't Betazed get rolled by the Dominion at one point? I remember one major Federation planet serving as an example to the audience how serious the situation is. If Betazed goes down, can you imagine the shitstorms going on elsewhere? All those dumbass colonies TNG deals with every third episode: all gone.

Yep, Betazed did get rolled by the Dominion. If you ever wondered where the Enterprise-E was during the war, it was in the fleet that failed to defend Betazed and had to retake it. There was a novel or two about it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if there's an industry in exporting holo-sims of the Battle of Thermopylae and the like to Klingons who are bored by their own culture

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/tng_s8?lang=en

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pakled posted:

Pretty sure Wesley didn't, either.

The Traveler. :pedo:

Nessus posted:

In Federation holodecks I imagine your surplus sex juices are broken down the same way that you apparently get rid of dishes and table scraps by putting them back in the replicator. Seems like it'd be pretty easy for the forcefield and illusion room to have a self-cleaning mode.

The answer for the holosuites in DS9 is much easier: Rom

Yep, Rom had to mop out the holosuites.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone translate this. I know one of you can read Klingon.

That looks like the made up Star Wars language...

Edit: this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurebesh

I guess it's not quite the same... closer than Klingon, though

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 13, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Masaka is waking.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Angel One. Mistress Beatta puts her wine glass down as if there's a table there, but she's actually putting it in a stage hand's hand. It accidentally ended up just barely in frame.

They fixed it in the re-master by cropping the scene slightly.

Source: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/angelone.htm

Ex Astris Scientia posted:

The server rejects the referring URL, because of repeated harrassment, spamming or other violations of the EAS terms of service

They send all links from SA to that 403 page, lol, what did Goons do to EAS?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Duckbag posted:

TNG season 1 had some seriously dodgy directing.

Don't forget the writer-producer who harassed Gates McFadden until she quit.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah the Vulcans traded these things with humans in exchange for some badass earth drugs.

Or as Sarek found out, Earth girls are easy

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they could have had like lightning-firing super-tasers to stun people

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GENE RODDENBERRY'S ANDROMEDA

which probably would be great if they reboot it in a gritty BSG style without Sorbo

Earth: Final Conflict, too.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 4, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bull3964 posted:

The script for ST:II actually references stuff in TMP

It's a nice nod to continuity because we learn in TMP that the new phasers channel energy through the warp drive. If the warp drive goes offline, so do the phasers.

And without main power (aka the warp drive) the Enterprise can only fire "A few shots, sir."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I want a space marshmallow machine

marshmelon

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I mean Gene's "waves of cum" fantasies aren't all that different from anything Heinlein wrote in the 70s

Sci fi was different then

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bull3964 posted:

They did pull back quite a bit in Enterprise though.

They realized that Vulcan sideboob was the way to grab the audience

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I bet Starfleet Academy has some bitchin space philosophy classes

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I did not know Terry Farrell was a yoga instructor

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Paul Allen likes sci-fi poo poo, maybe we can convince him to pay for it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There were several episodes where Crusher had command of a bridge night shift for the experience / resume padding. They also left her in command when everyone else was on Lore's Borg planet looking for Picard.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

At least they can throw a PADD across the room and step on it and it won't break. Want some of that transparent aluminum screen glass on my phone.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm Number Two, Number One.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Namaer posted:

I'm watching TNG 3x23 Sarek, and at this point I have to assume that Sarek has a human fetish, which makes me feel more comfortable with my tholian fetish.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zurui posted:

Did they ever mention that the Voyager nacelles move up and down because of the subspace bullshit in the show or is that just something I remember from a magazine?

It's the technobabble reason but no, I don't think they ever said so on the show.

The real reason is that Berman and Braga thought it'd be cool to have a ship with moving parts

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

More like Berman had spent every moment after TNG trying to remake it. Love letter to him, more likely.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He's a convenient villain to blame for how lovely Voyager and the TNG movies were.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I ain't reading this insane thread but holy poo poo Mirror Mirror might be my favorite episode and I'm only 1/3 through. Evil Federation is amazing.

:stare: Mr. Sulu

e: :laffo: evil Kirk and regular Spock

Enterprise actually has a sequel to that episode that's even better. And probably one of the best episodes of Enterprise.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Apollodorus posted:

IIRC it's actually a prequel to that episode - but a sequel to "The Tholian Web."

Yeah, that's right. It's about what happened to the USS Defiant after it vanished into spatial interphase at the end of The Tholian Web- and ended up in the mirror universe.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gonz posted:

New Axanar is just Tony Todd getting into an argument with a replicator over how spicy his hot wings should be.

Klingon hot wings would probably kill a human

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pacra posted:

Any thoughts as to the best Enterprise episodes to watch?

I'd say anything with Shran and most of season 4.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

Food-wise, I love how the TNG technical manual implies that the basic order of things, food-wise, is this:

- Start with generic foodmatter
- Replicators make it the generic foodmatter into foods
- People eat the food
- Uneaten food goes into back into the generic foodmatter thing
- People poo
- Poo is carefully analyzed and the non-toxic stuff is put into the generic foodmatter pile

the cum on the holodeck floor also goes into the generic foodmatter pile

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was still pretty bad when I played last year. The Defiant bridge is the only one that isn't absolutely massive.

There's also "canon" Voyager and TOS interiors that are well-scaled. They *can* make interiors that aren't gigantic open space, but their 3rd-person camera is lovely and their artists are lazy so most interiors look like those screenshots.

I think you can invite 25 (or maybe it's 15) people to a ship interior so it's possible to fill a bridge with people.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When I was 13, I could memorize controls like that.

Can't do that today.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sisko was a Lt. Commander when he was first officer of the Saratoga. Janeway's first first officer in the Voyager pilot was also a Lt. Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Crusher's weird specialty was growing fungi in space petri dishes too