Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't happen in the book. In the book Kirk and Spock go to engineering to inspect battle damage and when the turbolift doors open, Scotty is there holding Peter saying he can't get a hold of Bones.

I imagine that's what the original script did since novelizations are often based on early drafts. It was probably a pacing decision to have Scotty come to the bridge since going to engineering would break the action, even if it doesn't make narrative sense.

That's not exactly what I remember. I remember Saavik being there, too, and actually breaking down in tears (explained by her being half Romulan, apparently), but maybe that was a later scene in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Tighclops posted:

Enterprise is the most white people in space out of all of them, they even have a black driver

:gowron:

Never realized that. Guess I better check my privilege

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I was going to say that these days there's actually factions within disability groups that would see a disabled character going on adventures due to cool cyber implants and poo poo as an attack on their unique culture and abilities. They're not disabled they're just different, maybe even better than you, normie. Are you trying to say being deaf is a disability? Are you trying to say it's an inferior culture you want to genocide with implants and forced education at schools with people who can hear?

I think TNG should be given some credit when Geordi rejected being healed of blindness when Riker got Q powers. Of course, Braga and Berman poo poo all over that in the movies...

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

MikeJF posted:

That's easy, though: aliens.

Check your human privilege!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

King Hong Kong posted:

They should just have an Enterprise character because this is realistically going to be Enterprise 2.0 at best.

I'd be fine with Scott Bakula showing up as "Admiral Archer" or some such kind of like how they referenced him in nutrek.

And then have Jonathan Frakes as the cook :wtc:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jfc don't give Brannon Braga ideas

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

marktheando posted:

Which version of TOS to watch depends on how hilarious you find obvious stunt men in every fight scene. If they make you laugh a lot like me then watch the HD version.

This applies to the HD TNG, too. I've been enjoying the glaringly obvious stunt doubles in that.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Nimoy was always weird looking

In kind of a Benedict Cumberbatch sort of way.

This applies to Nimoy, imo:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The Morn-centric episode is one of my faves.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jeeves posted:

I always wonder how quickly those stubborn space Indians Native Americans got wiped out by the Cardassians after they accepted their governance.

Especially since they lost their best weed dude because he was secretly the Traveler.

According to VOY letters from home they got turbo destroyed by the Dominion, which I honestly don't remember if DS9 ever actually mentions.

e: holy poo poo that was a way older post than I thought... sorry about that

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Red Angel is future Shatner Kirk

I was thinking Red Angel would be Picard and that's how they would spin off the Picard show, as Picard time-traveling around the universe or something. Instead, Red Angel turned out to be something even dumber.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I dunno this current red angel/section 31 bullshit is rapidly approaching Voyager Endgame levels of stupidity

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Errand of Mercy? Rura Penthe? I guess the latter isn't strictly comparable but it's a small leap from there, even if you discount the TOS TV Klingons. "The Aliens' Graveyard."

Which brings up an observation I had watching ST6 recently. The dinner scene is awful. There, I said it. The Klingons are very adept at using the Federation's ideals against them, but it's 1. baldly cynical on their part, given everything we see of Klingon society even in the film in isolation, and 2. none of the dialogue flows at all. Some individual lines are memorable, which papers it over somewhat, but the characters aren't really responding to each other at all for the most part. I get that they're supposed to be at odds and not communicating well, but it's like it was edited down from a much longer scene into something that barely makes sense.

But back to the first point, the Klingons accuse the Federation of being a Homo sapiens-only club - "present company excepted" due to Spock, but they're also dealing with, at least, a Deltan Federation president, and in ST4 the Federation Council and Starfleet Command are shown to have myriad aliens. But just look at the Empire, there are literally no other races at all in their military or political power structure, and no one calls them out on this. They've enslaved or exterminated all other races within their borders. They don't have a leg to stand on but the scene is still written not only as if they have a point, but the Starfleet members present are cowed and accept the premise, and go to bed in massive guilt, checking their human privilege.

It's not as good of a movie as a lot of fans like to think.

Yeah, but the historical context for this fits perfectly with the movies obvious Cold War metaphor. The Soviets criticized the US about our civil rights conflicts all the time, but then massively quashed and imprisoned non-Russian ethnicities in their own borders. This is a thing that actually happened historically.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HD DAD posted:

I’m saying the opposite actually. Both TNG and Disco at this point in their lives were/are very flawed but promising. I’m just more amused how Trek discussions haven’t really changed in 30 years.

Now we just need a modern day Michael Piller to come in and whip the writing room into shape.

Yeah but DIS and TNG are fundamentally different beasts, obv. TNG, being episodic, can fix systemic issues early and often. DIS is more serial and if the writing and underlying premise for the season is deeply flawed, then it will take total creative team reboot to get things straightened out, which is what we've seen.

I agree with the basic premise, though... fans gotta fan

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Am I remembering correctly that ENT was pulled because Les Moonves hated it and right after the Viacom split, he wanted it gone? I might have read that somewhere or dreamed it up, idk.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Trevellian posted:

Dear fellow Trek Goons - for those of you with access to BBC America, may I commend to your attention the TrekBack Best of Spock special this coming Friday (5th April)? Hosted from 5pm EST by Rachel Lackey and Chris Lackey of the Rachel Watches Star Trek podcast!

https://twitter.com/mrchrislackey/status/1112730111692992515

Just list the episodes here and I will watch at my leisure

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

galenanorth posted:

Deadlock (VOY S02E21) was a great episode. It and "Timeless" seem to be an acknowledgement that whenever there's a high-risk situation, it's only because it's a work of fiction that they always win the day, and in a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure version of the show there'd be a lot of "bad endings". Harry Kim's stunt in Sick Bay was movie-caliber. Around the middle, I expected that one of the two ships would be destroyed, rather than a parallel universe separation, but I didn't expect it'd be the undamaged ship via self-destruct after being boarded and taken over by Vidiians.

I hate VOY a lot, but the Vidiians were a legit cool and creepy Trek villain, up there with TNG season 2/3 Borg, imho. I know they are kind of a B story in that episode, but just mentioning the Vidiians ratchets up the tension because of their backstory.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Burning_Monk posted:

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - JFK

That was FDR

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Cythereal posted:

"The line must be drawn HERE! This far, no farther! And I will MAKE THEM PAY for what they've done!"

Yeah, Quark was awesome when he did that

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Patrick Bauchau, an actual Belgian actor would have been interesting. Jenny Agutter as Crusher could have been fantastic.

Tim Russ... it's so hard to imagine him as Geordi after being Tuvok for so long but I've seen him other stuff and I think he has the acting ability to do it, and is Reggie Jackson the actual Reggie Jackson, i.e. the baseball player? That would've been kind of awesome, too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I don't remember any TNG episodes featuring Dolly Parton or Billy Joel as key story elements.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I know, those have been my favorite orville episodes.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Section 31 is similar to the Mirror Universe: in small doses, it can be a very effective plot device. But the more the writers keep using it as a crutch, the more diluted and ridiculous the premise becomes until you get sick of seeing it.

It's exactly why I've come to not look forward to MU episodes on DS9. Crossover was a great episode, but each episode after that is not as good as its predecessor.

Is Crossover the one where they steal Sisko to build their own version of Defiant? That was the only MU episode I liked at all in DS9. I guess I did also like the first one or so where they had mirror Sisko, because it seemed like Avery let loose and really enjoyed being goofy af.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Pick posted:

in the workplace comedy that ds9 occasionally is, and where it excels, Sisko as Mr. "I never even wanted to be here" is exceptional

For some reason, the scene where Jake replicates a ractijino or w/e and dunks a biscuit into it and it fizzes up and Sisko freaks out a little and has exactly that kind of look... that scene is always super memorable to me for some reason.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Like look at Odo. He has contacts all over who get him news about the goings on of the cardassians and even the romulans. What he does is approximately what a Starfleet intelligence officer would do.

drat, Odo was cool.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm stoked that they're willing to do a teaser that looks 99% like a wine advertisement, it pretty well confirms that this isn't going to be the Action Picard from the movies. Now I just have to hope it's not all overdramatic and turns Picard into a Chosen One and all that.

What if Picard is the chosen one and the only one who can defeat a new invasion by those alien bugs that took over starfleet command (and were never seen again) and the only way they can win is by getting the old crew together (recently retired Riker, etc.) and hijack a mothballed Galaxy-class starship (because it's the only one that isn't compromised by alien computer technology or whatever) and blow up some kind of alien mcguffin or something? That way it's overdramatic AND Action Picard.

um Alex Kurtzman pls do not steal

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The model obviously has every light kicked up to max but I still love this picture. The angle, the overall lighting, the way the hull gleams. I love it.

This could just be nostalgia talking, but I think that model holds up better than any other trek design, except for maybe workbee there in lower left.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I think he went and "requisitioned" those himself from a base after his planet was destroyed

Based on the prequel comic, Nero's ship used Borg technology because of course it did.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

imo, that makes even less sense. You can't fix the core problems there without a big rewrite.

If the "2 seconds of vulnerability" is really the problem, just speed up the torpedo shot so it takes a few seconds instead of 15. Not sure that's a huge improvement, though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Gonz posted:

Jean-Luc Picard: "The Nexus, you say? I can travel back to any point in history using this magical wormhole ribbon? Hmmmm."

*goes back a few hours instead of going back a week or so, warning his brother and nephew about the fire and having Dr. Soren arrested on sight, in addition to saving Jim Kirk from MIA status for a better part of the last century*

Smart thinkin' there, Captain.

He was just following the Temporal Prime Directive to meddle as little as possible. :v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Quicksilver6 posted:

Just gonna be Picard petting a dog laughing about how they travelled in time to save rene and robert, all while reviewing the various Picard vintages.

This would be better than whatever swill Kurtzman came up with.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Hmm ok, so that's where Nero got the Borg tech for the Narada.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

DrNutt posted:

I just want to chime in and say that it's pretty cool that they are bringing back Hugh and not recasting him because that probably would have been an easy thing for them to do.

Yeah, I think the DISCO path would've been to put in some new Borg character named "Lou" that was actually Hugh's adopted brother.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

piratepilates posted:

For some reason the planet has a weird colour filter lazily slapped on it to make the planet seem more alien? In the "Previously On" footage at the start of the episode you could see the (same) planet didn't have a blue tint, it was just a neutral balance like Earth.

Hey is that the same place they did the location shots for The Ship in DS9? (Or was it Rocks and Shoals...)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

damnit

e: I still maintain that Q elevates any episode he's in to "absolutely watch this" status though

The DS9 Q episode was goofy and I loved it, but I can also see why DS9 didn't do more Q episodes. I would've loved a wormhole alien vs. Q episode, but maybe that wouldn't fit the tone of the show, either.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I love the 1701-D main engineering, and those sets were my favorite sets in TNG and VOY. Even the Defiant's main engineering was kinda cool, if somewhat smallish.

Also, whoever recommended the Insurrection commentary, that was a blast. "Ahhh the controversial joystick... Rick thought that would appeal to younger audiences." lmao

Are there similar commentaries for the other TNG movies? I don't recall any, but I also don't own any TNG movies on blu ray.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

"Odo broth" lmao

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Sash! posted:

I would like not be surprised to learn the character was originally named Micky O'Brien, had the last Rosary left in the Federation, had a no good brother and/or cousin named Patrick or Sean, and was scripted to exclaim "Jesus, Joseph, and Mary," only to be scolded for his backwards cultural ways.

Well, there's that episode where he infiltrates the Mob Orion Syndicate.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

If they had Guinan in STP, would that be awesome or horrible? I honestly can't decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

SyRauk posted:

*me re-watching VOY*:
Hmm, Kes was pretty cute. I wonder what she looks like today.

*looks her up*:
:aaa:

She's not horrible, looks like someone's ok mom