Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I am not sure when I started watching star trek TNG but for christmas one year, must of been 1991, I was given the Star Trek Enterprise-D tech manual. Then later, i am guessing 1994, i was given the first Star Trek Encyclopedia, and I thought it was neat covering TOS, TNG, and DS9 but it covered episodes of DS9 that hadnt aired or I hadnt seen in syndication so it was weird to me to have "wiki" style entries for things I hadnt seen yet.

Best of Both Worlds part 1/2 are both 1990 so I am kinda thinking I started watching TNG around 1990ish and I skipped seasons 1 and 2. I remember viewing the season 1 outfists with their color strip color and being like ok that is old "new" star trek and I always liked Dr Pulaski episodes because they were before I started watching and had a character that I never saw after that. Much like the office, I ended up liking the side characters almost more then the main characters.

Reginald Barclay, Ensign Ro, Chief Miles O'Brien I always enjoyed seeing episodes with them and most episodes that feature them are usually highly rated

Guinan, Q, Lore, Commander Sela, the Duras Sisters I also enjoyed seeing these returning characters

I think at the time, every kid liked Data and watching as an adult he is a bit harder to watch seeing how dumb they play him

I always liked Worf but the best Worf episode is either when his mate dies or the holodeck with all the Data's, so I think history is nicer to Worf but goddamn the movies just waste all the Worf love i had

generations throws away Worf/Troy

first contact discounts the Deiant. Damaged by salvageable; get the gently caress out of here. They should of started First Contact with the Enterprise picking up Worf to take him to the Klingon Homeworld for some treaty negotiations when the Borg attack. Picard wants to fight the borg but feels he needs to deliver Worf or the Klingons will be mad, Worf could say something like we both know the Emperor, I think he would allow us to be late if we had to get into a fight.

the other 2 TNG movies waste Worf even more

Picard the show is ruining Picard the character but Picard was has prob the best episodes and the most character arc. He starts hating wesley, hates children, at one point gets de-aged into a child, all around Picard grows as a leader and as a person. Shame his new show just flushes all that down the toliet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
anyone know why patrick steward didnt want diana muldaur back? was on his list of demands for season 2

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
top ten dr crusher episodes

Remember Me 4.5
Attached 7.8
Suspicions 6.22
the Naked Now 1.3
True Q 6.6
Data's Day 4.11
High Ground 3.12
Ethics 5.16
the Host 4.23
Sub Rosa 7.14

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm guessing more people did that than not. I dont mind admitting I did.

Also am I the only goon who likes suspicions, it's my tng guilty pleasure. Its ds9 compatriot is the recently mentioned empok nor.

I was going to do this for all the main cast but I was having trouble picking 10 geordi episodes, I think I was up to 8 for him

like look at my top 5 crushers episodes

1) Remember Me
2) Attached
3) Suspicions
4) Naked Now
5) True Q

only two of these five are "crusher episodes" and the others are ones where her acting is better or she has a strong part

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
my top ten riker episodes

1) Frame of Mind
2) Matter of Honor
3) Schisms
4) First Contact
5) Chain of Command
6) Best of Both Worlds
7) the Pegasus
8) the Gambit
9) Future Imperfect
10) Second Chances

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Statutory Ape posted:

no peak performance, no list

ah dang you're right

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I have a soft spot for star trek 5. I have two small fixes

1)instead of Sybok being Spock's brother; make him a former Kolinahr instructor gone off the wrong path

2) instead of the center of the universe; just make it a planet inside a hostile nebula

Star Trek 1979 is an ok film but I dont think I really want to rewatch it

ST09 is the only one of those three modern films I like

Generations is my favorite of the TNG era and thou I liked First Contact in the 90s I just dont care for Action-Picard

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

skasion posted:

Send it to CBS

The prophets are more than pretty hosed up, they’re all the way hosed up, even more so than regular godlike energy beings. I feel that they could have leaned into this more, but even as is there’s something kind of Lovecraftian about them. They’re very alien aliens in a universe that rarely does that, they don’t really get any of the concepts that motivate humans (or Bajorans, Cardassians, etc) except at the moments those people shout those concepts in their faces.

TNG ends with Q telling picard that there is more out there than exploring the stars

maybe the writers of DS9 didnt know exactly where ever story was going but they set themselves up nicely

I think the prophets and the emissary needed to be more in the story in the early seasons, we do not see the power that The Sisko really has

I always thought that making The Sisko one of the prophets was a bit lazy and the Par Wraith stuff needed more time to build

I watched Sons of Moguh recently because Tony Todd is awesome and saw he has a Voyager credit so I am going to check that out too. The problem with Kurn in DS9 is that the morality of the Federation says assisted suicide is wrong but erasing his mind is fine. That is crazy. Dax and Bashir stop a klingon ritual to save kurns life but later erase his memory. So on the organ donor card where can I check do not erase my memory. The Hippocratic Oath must not be updated for mind rape

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
anyone ever notice the last several episodes of TNG are about father relationships?

Firstborn about Worf and his son

Bloodlines about Picard and his "son"

Emergence about the Enterprise giving birth to a life form and at the end picard states he does not know what will become of what they created, like a child

Preemptive Strike, Ro returns and betrays Picard like a child rebelling

then in the finale the paradox is only created because Q allows Picard time time shift thus allowing Picard to do a science thing and bring the paradox into being, like Picard and Q had a paradox child

Picard and Q did bang in Tapestry

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I remember watching First Contact in theaters and eye-rolling hard when RIker said that the Defiant was "adrift but salvageable"

this is like during the first part of season 5 of DS9, too bad the defiant wasnt like the runabouts or the endless voyager shuttles; would almost be humorous if Sisko keep renaming the new ships sent to him as Defiant, this would allow the ship to be destroyed more in stories

and about the Picard strong-arming Ro Laren, it is just the writing for the episode and that is common in television for characters to do things to fit scripts instead of how of a normal person would do things

I would have enjoyed to see if Ro Laren and Thomas Riker with the Maquis survived the Dominion/Cardassian badlands mass assault

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
red letter media on new star wars once; we can tell any story we want! just re tell old stories

DS9 allows star trek to do star trek things with non star trek characters

Quark, Rom, and Nog are fun to watch thru season 1-5 and their growth

I like most odo stories, he is the fish out of water, the non-human trying to be human becomes more human than a human

this time around I enjoy Kira more and all the Kai Winn stuff. Pretty funny how much Jake hates Kai Winn too

obviously Garak is always good and I always enjoy the face-turn Dukat does and then heel-turn to join the Dominion

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Q ends the TNG series telling picard there is more out there then just conflict

four TNG movies about conflict, no Q

Picard TV show all about conflict, no Q

if they do a season 2 of picard, I hope Q shows up and clowns on him. How you been solving your problems since that time shift paradox? Oh just violence? The human civilization is nothing but barbarians and must be wiped out

season 2 of picard ends with Q wiping the humans out of existence for taking the Star Trek IP into the CGI-violence realm

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wesley had his issues, but I think the worst way to finish off his character was for a creepy adult to take him under his wing and whisk him off to another plane of existence never to be seen again without ever telling his parent or crewmates. I guess say hi to Sisko when he gets there.

Also kinda ruins the dynamics of the entire episode because the main native american character pleading their case was a weird alien pretending to be one of them and when he vanishes, the episode is just resolved offscreen.

they didnt call them native americans for reasons and they called them indians, it is super weird to rewatch

in DS9 Dax mentions learning a Hopi ritual from a maquis or something and that is done more tasteful

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Bashir is the weakest main character on DS9. Bashir being augmented by his parents doesnt show in the first couple seasons. There is a season 1 episode cold open that has Dax doing some mind exercise that keeps a shape together on a monitor. Dax says it is very hard to do, Bashir tries it and fails right away. When Bashir competes against Miles in hand ball, it is his youth and college experience not his enhanced mind or hand to eye coordination. If they writers knew he was an augment, it would of been fun to see him do feats of strength or mental aptitude and to explain it away as adrenaline or getting lucky.

Season 7 Bashir being love sick for Dax is also a waste of his character.

If I was to cut out episodes from DS9 most would be Bashir episodes and some of the "one-off" gamma quadrant alien episodes; not bad I only found 10 episodes I would cut

cutters
"Captive Pursuit" -- one-off alien with no real impact to the story
"move along home" -- one-off alien with no real impact to the story
"melora" -- Bashir plus one-off alien
"meridian" -- "boring to me" episode
"hippocratic oath" -- Miles is right, Bashir over acting here
"sons of mogh" -- they did Tony Todd wrong here; what happens when Kurn gets to Stovokor and they wont let him in because he is not who he thinks he is
"the muse" -- I wanted more Jake Sisco episodes, but not like this. Not like this.
"statistical probabilities" -- terrible bashir episode
"profit and lace" -- terrible gender episode; they could of brought back Pel, the female Ferengi from season 2 that had the 'lobes for business. Just a waste making quark play a lady.
"chrysalis" -- part 2 of terrible bashir and the augments

edit. I really liked the episode that Quark is trying to get Odo and Kira on a date so he can do an illegal gem deal in "the sound of her voice"
I would have super enjoyed Quark/Jake doing more together as Jake has become a bar fly. And Captain Sisco/Nog working together. Would of been a fun turn of events from season 1, Quark wants to keep Nog away from the Sisco's and Sisco wants to keep Jake away from the ferengi. I like that in season 6/7 Jake just hangs at Quarks and Nog is the go-to ensign.

edt. 2 ) I would of loved a "color of money" episode of Jake becoming a dom-jot hustler that gets taken by a veteran

No Luck Needed fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 19, 2020

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

The_Doctor posted:

Because they didn’t tell Alexander Siddig until the episode it happened in, over halfway into S5. He was annoyed by this because he said knowing beforehand would definitely have informed his acting and interpretation of Bashir.

jeeves posted:

I think if I remember correctly, they also didn't tell him that he had been a secret Changling for like 5 episodes.

wow ok the writers just didnt do the actor right, prob upset he got nana visitor

here is a funny picture as an apology

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

goons are probably right again

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
RIker gets a ton of great TNG episodes

season 2 "matter of honor" is a highlight of that season

season 6 "schisms" is one of those great dark episodes of trek

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Sir Lemming posted:

DS9 "Second Sight" is a bad episode

oh forgot about this clunker. Of all the captains; Sisco is the less flirty one. His wife is dead, he has a son and a space station; no time to chase tail. I do find it hilarious when he just rolls with sleeping with mirror universe Jadzia. He is also the only main character to then find someone, marry them, and start to have children.

I watched TOS "the conscience of the king" and I find it so hilarious that Kirk is told there is a mass murder pretending to be an actor in the cold open, later invited to a cocktail party to meet the person face to face, and runs into the actor's hot daughter; pickers her up and dips out. This is one of those scenes where Kirk's sexuality and how he is written is put on full display. I couldn't help add a Zap Brannigan line during "what are little girls made of?" when Kirk wakes up and realizes his robo-clone is gone and he is left with the female-robo. "time to overcome this obstacle, with my sexuality"

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
i wanted to watch star trek so i signed up for nexflix, got the HD version in cased i wanted to watch movies

after one month of just watching TNG and DS9, netflix was like for month two do you want do downgrade to standard? so I was like ok, now i am watching TOS

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So weird to see anyone from Voyager look like they are really having fun.

Denise Crosby, Terry Farrell, and Michelle Forbes each had different levels of roles on star trek but each could of probably stayed on each of their shows but each of these actors say they took a chance on themselves turned out good for 2/3's of them

imagine you are Tuvak, Tim Russ. And so far you have a job being a background star trek character in the movies and TNG and looking at his IMDB he is a professional TV actor for over 10 years before the voyager gig.

so you Tim Russ and been around for 10 years but never on a show longer than one year, finally you get a star trek show that will last 7 years

do you rock the boat and demand more screen time?

or do you play it safe and set up convention meet and greets for the rest of your life?

I'd give Tim Russ a ten spot for an autograph

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Mister Kingdom posted:

The worst part of living for hundreds of years is all those Spider-Man reboots.

Time traveler stumples out of an ally. "Hey who is spider man? Hey you who is playing spider man in the movies?"

"Toby Maguire"

"I've gone to far. I've gone to far!!!"

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

nine-gear crow posted:

Kirk, Picard, Janeway and Sisko have all attacked and dethroned god at least one during their careers.

name names

kirk - appolo
picard - the devil

but sisko and janeway i need some help on

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I always thought they could of cut ezri dax and given those episodes to Wynn and dukat. More pa wraith screen time. I see why the main cast liked her, she could take all the Q&A time on her new character and they could just collect checks.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

FISHMANPET posted:

Did TNG ever really treat him as an enlisted man? Like, he was "Cheif" in that he was Transporter Cheif which was a role, not a rank. I think he was even called lieutenant early on. It was really DS9 that decided to say Cheif was his rank and that actually he was enlisted, and really explore that.

TNG treats every crew member as an ensign out of starfleet. TOS had crew man. Real navy and army have enlisted and commissioned officer. You graduate high school and enlisted, you are a basic crewman. You go to college you start as an officer. Miles was a lt. Junior grade same as Worf or Gordi. In my head-cannon he is promoted to lt. Full grade same as Worf and Gordi but TNG and DS9 writers are not military people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Boxturret posted:

Just saw tapestry and the opening of DS9 and seeing Picard, Dax, and Bashir in TNG blue uniforms really makes me wish more people wore them, its a nice colour.

I had a friend photoshop this up for me to use as my avatar when doing Star Trek Adventures on roll20

I thought data should have been in blue, but the same with no head engineer, the TNG cast were trying to not be carbon copies of TOS

data in blue would have been to close to spock in blue

I assume they put picard in red to just not be in gold like kirk, maybe Patrick Stewart looked better in red too