Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

MikeJF posted:

The Shatnerverse is basically 'Jim Kirk is better than everyone else suck it Picard.'

How can such a crummy book series be based on such a sound premise?

Seriously, I know I read them too but also have no memory of the Borg toggle switch. Geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

They should make Kirk be gay.

Kirk is neither gay nor straight. Kirk's sexual orientation is "I'm motherfucking James T. Kirk, bitch"

Gaz-L posted:

If he wants more original character LGBTQ representation in Trek, he should be talking to Fuller. Get a queer person on the bridge in the new show. gently caress it, have a transgender person as the captain.

The best way to do this is to have the character be a woman, then have a scene in one episode where she's like "here's a holopic of me as a kid" and it's a little boy. No big deal is made of it, it just is.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

The same Jack Ryan from the Hunter for Red October and Clear and Present Danger? What? He's an American hero! And also Harrison Ford and sometimes Alec Baldwin!

And Chris Pine!

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

armoredgorilla posted:

I'm not sure how active she is on Twitter but Kate Mulgrew is a National Treasure and if you ever get the opportunity to listen to her at a con or panel you should take it

Can confirm.

armoredgorilla posted:

The only reason they had Bashir in the old uniform was to differentiate him from the Changeling Bashir in the same episode. You shouldn't read more into it than that. It straight up doesn't make sense if he had been captured since before the First Contact uniforms. You'd have to accept that Changeling Bashir performed brain surgery on Sisko or that it willingly let the baby changeling die. This would be a strange action from the same race that surrendered an entire war just to get Odo to come home

If you HAVE to justify it, then he wore his old uni to the conference for comfort, I don't know.

It's been a while, but I had always interpreted it to mean that he had been replaced that long ago, and did those things to preserve his cover. And also you begin to realize that the crew had put their trust, and bodies, in the hands of the enemy for weeks. I thought it was really creepily effective on that level and honestly made perfect sense if he was that paranoid about maintaining his cover.

Zurui posted:

Genre TV is alive and well - they are making a dozen superhero series right now. I don't understand why this show isn't on the CW.

Honestly that's the perfect place for it and I hope that's where Discovery ends up when All Access bombs, instead of just cancelled, which it probably will be. :smith:

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
Going back to film scores, my buddy and I were music majors in college and we went to see that awful Troy movie with Brad Pitt. One of the themes was taken note-for-note from a major theme in Shostakovich's fifth symphony. We both recognized it right away and laughed our asses off the rest of the movie at how shameless it was. Everyone else there with us was not so amused.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Also wtf is an ambassador to the Delta Quadrant. How is Neelix supposed to be an ambassador to a region of space that takes half a century to cross, and how is he supposed to do that from some crap asteroid with a population of like 12 people and oh yeah which is completely cut off from everyone behind a shield and under siege by a hostile race that wants to mine it for minerals. Is this a serious post or did Janeway just finally figure out how to get rid of him without it being awkward.

I guess it's like when you give a the dumb useless kid an important-sounding title to make him feel special, like "line leader" or "president of the United States".

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
Lol that pairs extra nice with the Stupid Newbie avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

XBenedict posted:

This Disco episode was my favorite mirror universe episode. Fight me.

Same same a thousand times same. The fact that they get to keep tooling around the mirrorverse pretending to be honest to God Yo Ho Ho pirates for at least another episode fills me with glee.

They mentioned that Discovery traded places with its counterpart so I also hope we get to see mirror Disco trying to fit into the prime universe.