Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
How did Gul Dukat accidentally knock up a bajoran woman when it was clearly established that interspecies hybrids had to be made with a science?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ughh

Are you referring to Worf and Jadzia? Because I think that just establishes that some pairings need extra help.

Pretty sure humans and Klingons are able to bang it out without a problem, what with K'heylar (gently caress i know i'm loving up the spelling) and B'elanna.

Humans and Romulans (and probably Vulcans too) probably don't need help either, what with Sela. Did T'Pol have any kids in the alternate future timeline in that one episode of Enterprise?

I do seem to recall something about Spock requiring intervention, but I also think that was only in books.

Vulcans and humans need help. It was mentioned in Enterprise. And Humans and Klingons need help according to Emissary. And Trill and Klingons need help.

We don't know if Betazoids and humans need help. Uh, I think Dianna's mother also got accidentally impregnated. This poo poo happens a lot in Star Trek actually, Worf's descendants on the time planet are implied to be half klingons even though they would need a science to do that and they don't know how no more...

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I really want to get into a star trek video game but Star Trek Online is the best most recent one and its a horrible pile of poo where all I did for an hour was shoot klinks and borgs. What the poo poo

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
WTF - I just found out there was a collectible card game that got blammed from existence back in January? Anyone know exactly what happened with adversaries?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I'm watching you, Quark.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Orv posted:

I'm rewatching DS9 S1 against my better judgement, having not slogged through it in my last... number, rewatches. I think the older I get the less interested I am in the "Starfleet officers don't get some hosed up alien culture and they try to gently caress with it" episodes. Captive Pursuit, the Wesley trips into a garden one, all of those. I'm not sure why necessarily either, they're not all bad and certainly growing up with one of them (or more) every season did a lot for me growing up with less than present parenting, but nowadays it's just kind of trite. It might be having rewatched them so many times but I feel like it might also just be something Trek leans too heavily on time and time again to really club those ideas home.

Move Along Home is unironically my favorite episode of all of Star Trek.

choose their path. double their peril, double the prize.

ALAMARAINE!!!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cat Hatter posted:

Worf does the death yell when he kills Gowron and I think when his baby-mama dies.

And when Jadzia dies.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it makes no sense to have boarding actions in the Star Trek universe that don't basically involve the boarders having armoured, self-contained environment suits. We've seen many times that Starfleet ships can very easily just can drug you, vent the area, boil the area, control the gravity, irradiate you, wrap you in forcefields, beam you out, beam bombs into your face, replicate turrets... and god forbid you enter an area with holoemitters, because then the very air becomes knives. An enemy ship should be the most hostile environment in the universe.

The fact that it just ends up as a few people pew pewing is just one of those television artifacts.

I always thought that scene where the Klingons were invading deep space nine was completely retarded because you had about three seconds of your dumb rear end beaming in(with MELEE WEAPONS) in the middle of operations in waves of 4(and they all instantly die) I wondered exactly why the gently caress the Klingons had a dominion-sized empire.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

"We have disruptors, Captain. In fact, the name of our species is synonymous with disruptors in this setting. Maybe we should ditch the swords?"

*Captain daggers the poo poo out of him*

That scene in Voyager where Tuvok says the Batleth is a brilliant, amazing weapon that's perfectly balanced for combat gave me massive Mall Ninja vibes.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, DS9 well established that modern klingons are stagnant idiots trapped in a corrupted culture who are happy to throw away real tactical advantages for the sake of the being able to claim something as honorable, and that their glory days are well past.

Hopefully if we ever get a series that's post-voyager we could explore the Klinks changing their society.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

skasion posted:

They should have gone full LOGH. whenever you get boarded, fill the corridors with gas that makes you explode. Now everyone has to fight in sealed armor with battle axes.

The gas doesn't make YOU explode, it's flammable.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The Bloop posted:

I'm sure we'll get some great Sarek Katra mindmeld force ghost scenes where he tells Picard all about Michael

"wait you had a black daughter"
"wait they had a drive that could teleport across the universe"
"wait who the hell are the kelpians"
"excuse me sarek what is happening"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MisterBibs posted:

As others have pointed out, it's always been a "brand". Problem really is that it's become a tired brand. It's a brand that has been desperately trying to chase that high of being actually-mainstream-popular of TNG ever since it went off the air, to various degrees of success, but nobody is super eager to sit down and watch whatever Trek flavor of the month. Even a movie series reboot couldn't grab people to see the latest Trek films (I think? Beyond didn't do so hot and last I read a new Trek film in that reboot was kiboshed).

I maintain that Abrams hosed it up by letting Damon "Faith actually wins in Lost and heaven is real" Lindelhof write a script(Into Darkness). On top of that, it was really loving dumb to make a movie about Kahn and then aggressively pretend it wasn't about Kahn, but fighting reptiles on a desert planet. Honestly gently caress Into Darkness.

Star Trek isn't going to get mainstream popular again because it's something everyone knows, but not everyone likes. The fact that Enterprise pissed lots of people off didn't help.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Timby posted:

Damon Lindelof being the Internet's bogeyman will never, ever cease to make me laugh.

Why

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the Moclan gender episode was notably poorly handled, although I'd argue they handled it slightly better the next couple times they revisited it.
However, while I'm not Memory Alpha, I can't think of any Trek episode that dealt with mandatory gender reassignment, nor could I imagine any Trek series handling it in any less of a clunky and misguided manner.

There is that one where riker liked that zhe who said she was a she and then zhey turned her into a zhe

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TNG S1 is garbage, but it’s interesting weird garbage. It’s a bunch of TOS plots stapled to a pile of Gene memos that talk about Ferengi dicks and Crusher’s “striptease queen” walk.

The Battle, Hide & Q, Heart of Glory, Arsenal of Freedom, and The Neutral Zone are almost decent episodes. Conspiracy is the only one I usually recommend without caveat.

the one where they resolve the issue by loving killing everyone with phasers?????

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

thotsky posted:

The British invented concentration camps, but they're not who comes to mind when you depict them. Ignoring the clear holocaust references of the episode and claiming that Cardassians is in no way a Nazi analogy is really silly, as is calling people tankies online because they don't agree with your take on a Star Trek culture.

I just saw a generic pastiche in cardassia

Probably the congo for Bajor's occupation, British Empire and Imperial Japan for its other expansiomary policies(CP is resource poor), Nazi germany for its "everyone was suffering until the military no longer needed accountability(but actually then it got really bad for a lot of people and disappearances and torturing and executing dissident voices)" and Japan for having little man syndrome and starting poo poo with the feddies due to supreme overconfidence.

My headcanon is that Interstellar War was usually not fought with major battles ever, even most of the dominion war is fought with ambush tactics and smaller conflicts. The cost in personell is likely horrific to anyone but the dominion. Every time a ship is lost in Star Trek they also lose thousands of scientists, engineers, young command officers building a career. Unlike the dominion which loses...a bunch of clones. Oh well.

That's why I figured the Earth Cardassia war was just a bit of shooting and then diplomacy. Maybe they popped a few obselete mirandas who were just patrol ships It's not that the federation could not crush cardassia, its that "crushing" in interstellar war is likely never not a phyrric victory. And then you're a conquering state, and then you have to help in reconstruction etc etc etc.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Spacebump posted:

I'm making my way through DS9 for the first time. What season does this show really become awesome? Also, when does Worf join the show?

Episode 9, "Move Along Home" is unironically one of the best episodes of Star Trek ever produced. It's funny, it's weird, like TOS-era weird.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

HD DAD posted:

This is a good opinion. Move Along Home rocks.

The only issue I had with the episode is that Quark crying on the floor should have had him rigging the game or something. I honestly thought that was what he was doing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Orv posted:

Uncomfortable with all this Move Along Home revisionism.

I have no idea about "revision". I genuinely didn't remember watching it when I was 16, and when I re watched it a few months ago, I genuinely enjoyed every single minute of it.

I was like "Lol that was amazing." then I googled it and was completely stunned that it was considered to be the worst episode of DS9 but in many circles the worst in all of trek. I was shocked.

I haven't heard a good reason as to why it's bad, but then again, I'm not interested in watching a 30+ minute youtube video of an angry white dude screeching about it, which is all I was able to find.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm not a big enough fan to stan for it.

so according to google, "stan" is an amalgamation of "stalker" and "fan".

Why is "literally defending it in even the most passive manner possible" being a stalkerfan?

Orv posted:

I'm mostly playing the bad guy, I've come to appreciate Move Along Home more since I was younger and while I don't think it's particularly great it's a perfectly fine episode especially by the standards of say, The Passenger or Vortex.

I had no strong feelings on the passenger, but I quite liked Vortex, if only because Odo got some great development, and we see through all the harumphing that he would do anything to find more about his people. Plus ferengi phasers look wicked

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You do realize that was a typo, right? Of "stand?"

It's a very easy mistake to make.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Peacoffee posted:

I just ordered one of those fametek enterprise-D models after realizing it resembled a model a friend once had years ago. I very much wanted my own. I doubt all the features actually work all that well, but its got a bluetooth speaker for the phone, sound effects galore, and lights up quite brightly and includes a white noise track of the interior of the ship.

:3:

When I was a young lad I had an enterprise toy.

You could detach the nacelles and it also had like, "dino damage", little panels that would pop off and show battle damage. I didn't even know what star trek was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidWAkRTlWM

This was a weird as gently caress toy, toy. It came with a stand so it was like a model, but it had light up buttons and poo poo. I dunno. I thought it was cool at the time, but we didn't have TV.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 28, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Orv posted:

You know I think Avery Brooks might've always been crazy.

is he crazy now

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Kling off a character for absolutely no reason sounds like gane of thrones poo poo post season 4.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Seemlar posted:

That DS9 pitch is just embarrassingly bad, it sounds like a (lovely) DS9 Mirror Universe pitch more than anything that makes sense alongside DS9 proper.

If you want to ruin your day read the behind the scenes section of Dukat's page at Memory Alpha.

A quick skim just shows that most of the producers are generally stupid as hell.
"I guess the old cliches are true: Hitler loved his dog." <-- What the gently caress does this mean? He wasn't a robot sent back in time to start world war 2, why do people act like this?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Baronjutter posted:

Good art generally comes from restrictions and push back. Star Wars was pretty good, but that's because Lucas had a huge team of talented people who saved the movie in the edit and push back against some of his dumber poo poo, when he was given 100% control it was of course garbage. I think this imaginary DS9 season 8 would be exactly the same if Ira was given full control, he'd Lucas it hard.

Don't forget that the original script of star wars was something stupid like 400 pages

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
ALRIGHT, YA FOOKIN' GEEKS.

Continue Star Trek. Give me a premise for Post-Dominion war/Voyager/Nemesis/JJ Abrams horse poo poo romulus blowing up.

For my own money

- Immediately kill off Section 31 before the first season is over.

That's about it, actually. I actually hate Section 31.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Pick posted:

I wonder if every single other person who lives in the universe thinks it's unfair that nowhere in the galaxy can you qualify for promotion unless at one point 20 years ago your interstellar flight routed you through that one lovely cardassian airport

Pick posted:

- a long denouement that explores how the characters come to grips with the aftermath of the conflict, without introducing greater density and intensity of pew pews
- overall positivity

I dont mean season 8.

I mean this is Star Trek: Postwar. Star Trek: Reconstruction.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I'd set it in the 31st century, long after the previous shows. The Enterprise will be the first Federation starship to explore the neighboring galaxies. The show would be heavily focused on characters and interpersonal conflicts. The ship would have embassies aboard, with ambassadors present to observe the Federation's conduct.

Too far in the future.

quote:

The Romulan ambassador is a traditionalist and a harsh critic of the Federation. She sees the Federation has a homogenizing force, destroying the unique beauty of alien cultures. She has a particularly tense relationship with the ship's Klingon CMO, who is disdainful of Klingon traditions. At the same time, she has mixed feelings about Romulan society, which has changed considerably after absorbing much of the territory formerly occupied by the Borg.

Excellent idea.

quote:

The captain is an eternal optimist who loves exploration and loves learning about alien cultures. This is contrasted by the XO, who is an absurdist and a cynic. The XO and the Dominion ambassador are drinking buddies who like to grouse about the state of modern civilization.

I like this a lot.

quote:

In the newly-visited galaxy, they'll discover evidence of a highly advanced civilization, equal in scope and technology to the Federation, that vanished eons ago. Understanding that civilization and what happened to it will be an undercurrent through the first season, culminating in a season finale that will make everyone grapple with the meaning and value of culture, with the future of the galaxy at stake. My goal here is to have a continuing plot thread to tie the season together thematically while still giving plenty of room for more episodic content.

no strong opinions. if it turns out okay then woo hoo

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They already had one where Alara's parents had a home invasion from anti-vax terrorists

I think they were just mad that their son got discredited for falsifying his research.

Good episode tho.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

EimiYoshikawa posted:

S31 was fine in DS9, because they actually created it to specifically use it as a bunch of deluded assholes with not a single loving shred of credibility or authority or official standing or anything in the Federation, literally just a bunch of terrorists who misquote the Federation chapter to justify their existence like some moronic militia group made up of sovereign citizens trying to quote admirality law to establish why they are super-non-citizens who are free from the law because they're actually boats. And that the whole reason S31 exists is to destroy them, because gently caress those clowns.

The problem is everyone else has completely missed the loving point of them and took them at face value as actually being part of the Federation and actually being hard men making hard choices rather than deluded assholes and thinking they have any purpose whatsoever besides being discredited and destroyed.

I AM A FREE INHABITANT YOU CANNOT BOARD MY VESSEL

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Also was the doctor from Enterprise meant to be some sort of hybrid between Neelix and the EMH? Decently entertaining character but only by virtue of trying to be Robert Picardo.

I don't see the resemblance. Doctor Phlox is quite low-key compared to Neelix and he's much kinder and more likeable than the sarcastic dickhead that is the EMH.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Timby posted:

The Wrath of Khan was literally made by the television division of Gulf + Western because it was planned to be a TV dump-off if the dailies came back bad.

Can I have a source on this?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

skasion posted:

Final Frontier is worth a watch. It sucks (though I’m sure someone will defend it now that I say so) but it’s weird enough to be fun anyway.

Insurrection is not incompatible with Trek any more than First Contact or Nemesis is, but it’s less interesting than either of those movies by quite a ways. Only worth watching so you can listen to Frakes and Sirtis’ piss-take commentary track.

Star Trek V has some fun ideas but they rushed it into production without working on the script. I like the idea of Sybok being like a televangelist and I like that angle of him gaining followers like people going jesus crazy. Having experienced that poo poo, with friends who basically get a personality wipe and suddenly become a hardcore christian who sings bible songs around a campfire from the coke-snorting, cop-spitting-on punk rocker is legitimately terrifying. But they never really play up that angle or anything. Everyone just listens to Sybok because he has the magical ability to give you 20+ years of world class therapy in fifteen seconds and there's no downside. Like Kirk is like "I need my pain god drat it!" but Sybok isn't just erasing your memories or whatever, which would be bad, he is literally healing decades old trauma.

In conclusion you shouldn't shoot films off a first draft.

And you know, use ILM for space movies.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The Bloop posted:

I don't even know how to take this

Your little avatar is pretty good for reaction.

But as far as the JJ films go, I liked the 2009, then Into Darkness completely let me down and I stopped caring, then I watched beyond last november and was surprised at how good it was.

I really hated into Darkness.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

skasion posted:

It’s half of why imo, the big influence on the “return to TOS” idea is the failure of the whole Berman Trek project. Not only did the movies peak (financially speaking) with First Contact and get significantly worse thereafter, the shows’ viewership also dropped off from late TNG on and basically never rebounded. DS9, Voyager and Enterprise (which can be thought of as a kind of half assed early attempt at a “return to TOS”) started out with decent-to-good rating but none was able to retain the kind of audience that TNG had. By the mid-aughts pretty much everyone was openly saying that Berman Trek was getting old, so it’s no surprise that the franchise returned by going straight in the opposite direction, both in movies and shows.

Star Trek's rating decline looks bad in raw numbers, but the amount of competition expanded really hard throught the 90's. Voyager was still the #1 show on UPN and DS9 was managing to pull a 4.0 ratings share despite the heavy serialization.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Spacebump posted:

I'm almost done with season 3 on my first watch of DS9. At the moment I think the best character is Nog. I'm rooting for him to get into Star Fleet Academy.

I'm pumped for Worf joining the show next season.

wow.

its a shame he flunks out of starfleet and kills himself.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Orv posted:

It's hard not to view that as a purely financial move rather than anyone anywhere caring about the IP. They own The Other Sci-Fi Series and Star Wars is printing money hand over fist so obviously it's time for sci-fi investments and lol Stargate.

I guess more importantly it's hard not to be sad that something that was so fundamental in my life - even if it was then too - is now just a bottom line.

ahem

bull3964 posted:

CBS is committing even further to Star Trek as a brand

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-franchise-expands-dedicated-cbs-studios-group-1207664

I know this doesn't mean they care about DS9 any more than before, but it helps keep hope alive that some middle manager in this whole thing is a fan and figures out a way to sell upper management on a remaster.

not a single mention of video games.... sigh

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

EvilTaytoMan posted:

...but it mentions video games in brackets next to consumer products?

Look, I-

Tighclops posted:

They probably mean poo poo like mobile games where they can try to nickle and dime players

This. It's been low-effort mobile poo poo for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tighclops posted:

I liked setting the bots to really stupid in Klingon Honor Guard (when I could keep it from crashing) and watching them run out the shuttlebay door on one map and into space, where they'd shoot back into the station at me for a few seconds before they died floating away

Sounds like a glorious death to me.