Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember it being really good and by far the most Star Trek of any Star Trek game, but I was also ten the last time I played it.

How did you get it working? I've always wanted to replay it but modern computers just say "gently caress this noise" and no emulators or workarounds I've ever tried do anything. Best I managed was to get it to start but without audio and everything running too fast.

Wouldn't DosBox be enough?
I remember it bitching about wanting to run in pure dos mode when I tried to run it in Windows 95 back in the day.
I don't think I ever completed that one.
25th anniversary and Judgement Rites were great though. I had them on cd, but I think I also bought the gog version during a summer sale in the past 2 years. Makes me want to replay those two. Fortunately, the gog versions include the manual with the map that acted like copy protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

WampaLord posted:

I remember playing the Star Trek: Borg interactive movie game and it was great fun because John DeLancie owns.

Though my friend and I had a loving devil of a time clicking the button on the bottom of the phaser, cause the game gives you like a split second to react.

I got stuck at one point in this game because it just absolutely refused to register my clicks on a control panel somewhere. So I edited the save file to put me just past that point. I forget how I did that though. It was 20 years ago almost. I posted the solution to a usenet group, back when those were still used for discussion, and promptly got flamed by some loser because I "cheated". :spergin:

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Bohemian Nights posted:

I dunno, some people react really poorly to VR, but a lot of resources is being poured into figuring out what causes this and mitigating the issues. As a personal anecdote, I don't even get slightly seasick or feel queasy from rollercoasters or any of that kind of equilibrium stuff, but after a couple of hours or so in VR I felt pretty drat strange after taking the goggles off, like being slightly hung-over for the next 60 minutes.. which isn't great for extended periods of play.

But speaking of Star Trek videogames that you can play today, there's a very well done total conversion mod for Stellaris called New Horizons that is actually really, really good and probably the best star trek strategy game to date.

It even has uniforms/ships/events that change as the timeline progresses, moving from TOS era ships to DS9-era through the course of the game

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

I heartily recommend it to anyone who owns the game (or plans to!)

Stellaris is also the early unlock for next month's Humble Bundle monthly, so you can get it for $12 right now. Along with some other games that you may or may not want that will unlock in June.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

Remember that B&B's original plan didn't have the NX-01 launching for a dozen episodes as part of an ongoing buildup continuing storyline but the studio was just nixing everything and demanding TNG.

I didn't actually know this.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

The studio really wanted another sequel to TNG, because they wanted those sweet sweet unachievable TNG ratings, and it took a huge amount of negotiation to get a prequel. The entire temporal cold war plot existed solely to appease the studio that it's totally really a sequel and not just a prequel.

Oh.. Oh god. Prequels ruin everything. It was bad enough that it was a prequel, but the stupid temporal cold war thing was because the studio wanted another TNG? I would have rather just had the worst TNG clone, or another Voyager, than that. Even though season 4 was pretty okay.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The_Doctor posted:

This is going to be an hour long show, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is more serious on occasion with comedy sides.

Well now I'll be comparing that show to Farscape or Stargate.

It's on Fox, so you know there's not good odds of it getting out of season 1.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

Let's go concept art hog wild.

Sickbay Plus:

It never made any sense to me that you have this giant ship that carries 1000 people or so, but sickbay is a tiny room with like 8 beds and one operating area.
What do they do when they have a ton of injured or sick people?

Where are you guys getting these concept pictures?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

That bridge really reminds me of that episode of Doctor Who where the Doctor was living with this random guy and there was an alien Tardis in an apartment above them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lodger_(Doctor_Who)

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtmsI07AMsE&t=49s
So in this promo video, it actually looks like the phasers could shoot out a blue beam and act like a tractor beam? Was this going to be a thing and then they dropped it after creating this trailer? Or am I just misreading this?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Coq au Nandos posted:

Voyager trip report: just finished watching selected episodes up to the end of Season 6.

It's a boring slog. My favourite episodes have all been set off the ship, like Prometheus or the ones with Barclay trying to help get in contact.

Most of the stories that feature the Doctor are pretty good. One of my favorites is "Living Witness". A backup device containing a backup of the doctor is uncovered on a world in the future and he's reactivated. Of course, if there's a backup then why do they freak out every time he's about to glitch out in other episodes? It's never mentioned again.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Cojawfee posted:

CBS: We tried, but it looks like no one is interested in a new Star Trek TV show, the ratings just aren't there.
Netflix: Actually, we found it to be very successful. If you don't want to make any more, we'd be happy to pay to make it our-
CBS: NO ONE WANTS STAR TREK I GUESS

Well as we saw with Person of Interest, it's not beyond CBS to kill off something popular for their own stupid financial interest. They didn't want to continue running it since it wasn't produced in-house but they didn't want a competitor to get it either. So they didn't renew it, waited until the end of the spring season to run it out 2 episodes a week and then announced it was cancelled.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm okay with the modern pseudo-retro look. At least it doesn't look as dark as the earlier pictures looked.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

8one6 posted:

I feel like I need to defend O'Brien, because he transferred to the job of Transporter Chief. The Ent-D had 20 transporter rooms (I'm not sure if that counted the cargo transporters). Even if you assume half of them aren't in operation at any given time that' still three shifts for 10 rooms for 7 days a week. O'Brien was in charge of at least 80 people. TNG's budget being what it is all of those people were always on special assignment in cetacean ops when the episodes were filming.

I bet it would be boring though. 8 or 12 hour shifts every day just to push a couple of buttons to zip someone somewhere. It's not even like it's a starbase and he constantly does stuff. I'm sure there are weeks where not much happens because they are constantly in transit somewhere. There's not even a chair for him to kick back and relax on.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
over under on Destiny having a saucer separation based on that ring?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

This looks pretty hefty, I like it.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

skasion posted:

Actually, an ancient alien played by Salome Jens created every humanoid species in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants by spewing their genes in every direction. DS9 opened up the potential for a hilarious retcon there, but they never picked up on it.

It's been a while since I last watched through DS9, what do you mean?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Timby posted:

Salome Jens was both the Female Changeling in DS9, and the ancient old-rear end alien in that holographic projection in The Chase.

skasion posted:

Salome Jens is the female changeling as well, and her story in this episode is weirdly echoed by the Founders sending out 100 kids to all corners of the galaxy to see what would happen.

Oh wow, I didn't actually know this. I haven't seen these episodes close enough together to connect that was the same person playing those roles.
That would've been interesting if they had gone that way, but maybe embedding it a little too much in the lore? The TNG episode was a bit of a throwaway that really didn't affect anything. Making it about aliens that still exist might've thrown things way off the rails really fast.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

CPColin posted:

She must have recorded that before the events of this episode:

Wow, swing and a miss on how older Wil Wheaton actually ended up looking.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I've had All Access for a little while now so we can catch up on another show. I'm a little irked that the 2nd episode was just the second half of the pilot. Worse than that were the nearly constant seeming ads. Felt like every 10 minutes there was an ad break. I'm not a fan of paying money for something only to have it ruined by ads and I'm already paying for too many streaming services. On top of that, I had several occasions where it would freeze and buffer. It never did that during an ad though, only during the show. I'll probably cancel AA after this is done. The whole serialized drama aspect is an interesting direction for the show. Makes it feel really modern. The tech is out of place for the time period, feels like a direct continuation of the JJTrek movies. I thought this was supposed to be in the original timeline? The bits where the holograms glitched out didn't faze me much... felt just like there were dropped packets somewhere. So it's like the person moved but we didn't see some of the movement due to the missing packets. I don't know any of the Klingon, but it sounded really stilted. I'm not sure if it's due to the actors not being very familiar with it themselves, or if it's meant to be that way. I'm really wishing they would make another optimistic future Trek though. I'll keep watching because it is Trek.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think it's supposed to be like angelic imagery. The producers said the season has something to do with science vs. religion.

Star Trek V: The Final TV Series.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

The Bloop posted:

The seven Orbs of the Profits light throughout the galaxy, and only Discovery can reach them

Ginger
Scary
Sporty
Baby
Posh
Pumpkin
Spock

Pumpkin Spock Latte.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Brawnfire posted:

"You have to stop this, Captain."

Picard held up his tiny Troi. "But you're here too, Deanna! Can't you see? We're all here! And we never die. In my little Enterprise, no one dies. There are no Borg. There is no pain. ". He gingerly placed tiny Troi on the miniature bridge. "There now, what do you think?"

"I think it's just fine, Captain." Said Tiny Troi.

"Just fine," nodded the Captain, content.

Is this a parody of something? It's somewhat familiar feeling.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tighclops posted:

Honestly I'm too cynical for the The Picard Show thing to do anything other than make me laugh. Remember when they announced it?

"Oh uh... you didn't like our big 90's comicbook style grimdark tone deaf relaunch of the brand? Um... gently caress. Here's Patrick Stewart, you nerds liked him right? Oh no we don't have any writers or a director or even a story pitch yet but... P-Stew! Professor X! No we didn't just throw buckets of money at him, whatever do you mean?!"

I'm not saying that it will for sure be terrible but the whole thing wreaks of desperation. It might be nice to see the TNG era again provided they don't gently caress it up somehow but right now all I'm hearing are a bunch of muffled handjob noises coming from CBS head office so

I'm not super optimistic considering the last time we saw the TNG era it was fat Riker party crashing the Enterprise finale.

I could probably get behind a Captain Picard talk show though.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

bull3964 posted:

I'll bring it up once again.

CBS has their own digital streaming service now and they're apparently very hot for Star Trek at the moment.

If they can't figure out how to fund the remasters fully and then some by an exclusive window on All-Access, they don't deserve to be in business.

A few remaster episode releases a month is the perfect thing to bridge months of all access between new Star Trek shows and get people to keep their sub year long for multiple years.

I mean poo poo, one episode a week for the 348 episodes of Deep Space 9 and Voyager would keep me subscribed to All-Access for the better part of a decade.

Apparently it was a massive effort to track down all of the sources of film and such to digitize for each individual episode of TNG. When it was being produced they'd do something for one episode but then the film would end up in another box because they reused it for another episode. Things were not always labelled correctly. Stuff like that. Not to mention redoing all of the special effects in HD. They'd have to commit to doing all of it and then hope that trickling it out one episode at a time would make enough money to be worth it.
I hope CBS does remasters for DS9 and Voyager at some point. Or at least DS9. If they don't, I hope someone figures out how to use some of the Machine Learning/Neural Network stuff to upgrade what we have.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

simplefish posted:

There are whole episodes of well-loved BBC sitcoms and episodic dramas that are lost because archiving wasn't a thing back then and magnetic tape/storage space got constantly reused after broadcast in the 1950s/60s/70s.

Sometimes they turn up in the lofts of ex-employees or old storerooms but yeah I can easily accept that Trek scenes have been similarly lost, especially when masters were distributed around model shot/CGI/etc subcontractors/departments before the final TV-quality cuts

I'm not sure if any of it is lost to time. I watched a making of video on one of my season 1 TNG blurays about finding footage for the TNG remasters. They have a massive warehouse full of stuff. Individual scenes may just be mixed up in various locations.
I really really wish they would get on at least digitizing and preserving what they have before it possibly degrades too much. Even if they don't think they'll release it.

I think some of the missing Dr. Who episodes turned up somewhere in Africa last I heard.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Brawnfire posted:

Picard: How will we keep track of ourselves?
Picard: A numbering system would be a good idea.
Picard: Which one of us was the progenitor?
Picard: If the computer is correct, it was me.
Picard: Then we'll call you number one.
Picard: ..no, I don't like that.
Picard: Too confusing.
Picard: How is that confusing?
Picard: That's what we call Riker.
Picard: Riker's not here, Number One.
Picard: Yes, it's contextual.
Picard: Entirely different scenario.
Picard: Can't we just call me Captain?
Picard: We're all Captains, Number One.
Picard: Goddamn it, fine.

If AI programs ever get us to where we can script realistic looking TV-like video, I'd totally produce this.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Voyager, but each week Harry Kim comes back from a future time to give them information or a warning.
Only he never goes back to his "time" and now the one that was here doesn't need to go to the past, so the ship is slowly filling up with different Harry Kims.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What, the Andorian doesn't get a phaser?

Apparently she has claws (just going by the cover)

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Even this would have been more interesting if they had done it for real. Like, have the show deal with the fact that some people— especially the non-Starfleet— would probably become depressed about the idea of being confined to Voyager for the rest of their lives and stop giving a poo poo about military professionalism.

Though I think it would have been interesting if this was a bunch of people except for unexpectedly Paris. Like half the crew rebels and says "gently caress this uniform-wearing, rank-saluting garbage, I'm doing casual Friday," a bunch more flat out mutiny, and Paris the convict becomes the one backing Janeway 100% because he feels indebted to her for a second chance.

I could see some complete burn-out from constantly working. Small crew, emergency every few weeks and constantly repairing damage from the battles or the anomaly of the week.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
So about the Betazoids = Greek thing...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Beta Z = "Beta Zed" :aaa:

:aaaaa:

Maybe it's stretching but: http://www.startrek.com/article/9-things-you-should-know-about-marina-sirtis

quote:

Born in London to Greek parents

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MillennialVulcan posted:

They also take a literal timeout to introduce the bridge crew that they never let audiences get to know in season one.

I kinda liked that despite it probably being in there just for the purpose of actually introducing everyone to the audience. It fits that he was the brand new guy on the ship and just wanted to know who everyone was. The whole episode has an air of basically relaunching things.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Gorelab posted:

I feel bitching about this is like bitching that they don't just teleport the warp core out of an enemy ship the second the shields go down or hundreds of other things in every Star Trek series where they don't use the tech to the logical conclusion to keep things somewhat grounded.

I'm pretty sure they do this exact thing in an episode of Enterprise. Not the warp core, but they beam out the breakerbox or something.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Did you guys see this?
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/15/star-trek-deep-space-nine-ai-remaster/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hInQkqmjn48

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Epicurius posted:

Are they supposed to look different? I don't notice.

Where I see it most is the effects shots like when the ships are shown and on some of the lcars graphics behind people.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Angry_Ed posted:

Not sure about those specific names but I did find a USS Robert Mugabe in a Starfleet Battles name registry PDF. Let's see what else I can find... USS Tony Blair? This list is apparently from 2012 so that makes sense but...oh...oh no...

Ohhhhhh no no no no no

Guess we know the timeline divergence point (EDIT: Also they seriously have a ship named after Bashar Al-Assad?)

Here's a link to the PDF. There's bound to be more war criminals and other ne'er do-wells in there considering I saw Khmer Rouge names in there too.

Was this list generated by Microsoft's Tay bot or something?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

I took a sip of water right before I saw this and I about died.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tunicate posted:

Dude my phone is saying thats a 70 mb gif

Wow, most sites these days are actually transcoding things like this over to mp4 and making it act like gif to the browser (looping with no controls).
For instance, Twitter is doing that and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to save "gifs" from Twitter these days.
I bet that would be under 10mb depending on the codec.
https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/performance/optimizing-content-efficiency/replace-animated-gifs-with-video/
lol, I just converted it as a test and ended up with a 781kb file.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 2, 2019

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Brawnfire posted:

I'll have to reroute through tertiary, there's a cascade neutrino failure in the interstitial matrix!!????

Just reverse the polarity. Works every time. It was too bright in my room the other day so I reversed the polarity and now it gets darker when I turn the light on.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Re: Vulcan Fury

Drone posted:

Still. Seven hours of recorded dialogue from the entire TOS cast would be amazing to have pop up out of nowhere.

This would be an amazing find even if it's just a bunch of wav/mp3 files in a folder. That's a lot of recordings of people who are dead and gone now. It would be neat to hear those unheard lines.

I have a secret hope that someone would anonymously develop a HD remake of the other adventure games with audio and only let people know they're doing it when it's done so there's no hope of a takedown before then.

About the DS9 mirror episodes, it strikes me that they are just the equivalent of the Voyager episodes where they did that drat Captain Proton holodeck thing. Just a bunch of campyness with no real attempt at having a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Drone posted:

I mean, obviously Interplay doesn't exist anymore in that form, but I wonder if tweeting it at some of the people who worked on the project would result in anything. I mean, one would hope someone saved the data somewhere, but a poo poo ton of game stuff gets lost all the time because nobody cares about archiving anything.

Like, three of those cast members are dead, and hearing some new, never-before-released DeForest Kelley/James Doohan/Leonard Nimoy would be mindblowingly cool.

Who knows? I have read recently somewhere that the people who created the 3D models and other materials used in the CGI for DS9 and Voyager still have most of their original files saved. Maybe someone saved this data or maybe the computer that held it ended up being pawned off on Ebay. Hell, someone found the source code for Starcraft on there back in 2017