Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

I hope the new show takes itself seriously. Not like, grimdark or anything like that but honestly I couldn't stand how jokey Stargate became, for example. Like if they pointed out the absurdity of the flaws in their lovely writing with enough jokes then it's suddenly ok

Beyond that, I hope it doesn't have any self-consciousness at all. Don't try to be cute and dance around the Star Trekkiness. Even the TOS movies at times fell prey to this, like, "Heading, sir?" *gestures vaguely* "Out there. Thataway." Although it was a little more forgivable then because we'd known the characters for 20 years and it felt a little more earned, plus it was a different time. All that would seem hokey and forced today, the more so with new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Trek 5 is the most Star Trekkiest movie of them all, including TMP. Unfortunately including some of the TOS hokiness that was already an outdated relic, but the characters were just about at their most authentic, the premise is Trek to a T, the score is one of Goldberg's best, Sybok is incredible, you've got one of the all time iconic lines of Trek in "what does God need with a starship?"

I could go on and on, but I've always liked Final Frontier. Despite its flaws, to be sure.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McNally posted:

Goldsmith

:doh:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really like V'Ger and the Whale Probe because they're very mysterious and huge alien vessels. You look at them and immediately get that they're something beyond our understanding. You don't really get very many aliens that are truly, well... alien in Star Trek.

The Doomsday Machine is another of my favorite examples. If there's one subgenre of sci-fi that I love best it's arbitrarily advanced ancient alien artifacts, which in part explains why I like TOS the best.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

That's a bit of a fun idea isn't it, the worst Star Trek opinions. Unfortunately mine is that TAS is astonishing and beautiful, and I'm pretty sure that's more "objectively correct"

Final Frontier is better than Voyage Home.

Generations is better than First Contact, but neither of them is as good as any TOS movie.

The giant space amoeba is good.

There is only one actually bad episode of TOS.

Into Darkness, while not as good as 2K9 and Beyond, is still good, and the Enterprise looks great in these movies.

How'm I doing so far?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Haha, Turnabout Intruder is great for Shatner's performance alone.

No, it's And the Children Shall Lead.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You heard me. :colbert:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sounds like I'm winning the bad Star Trek opinions crown. Any comers? :toughguy:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oh, my bad Trek opinion is that TNG seasons 1 and 2 are better than seasons 6 and 7.

TNG S6 and S7, and DS9, and Undiscovered Country while I'm at it, are when Trek turned the corner and became more about hanging around in the Alpha Quadrant than exploring, and hence began to decline.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WickedHate posted:

Enterprise has the best ship design.

:chanpop: imma have to step up my game here, jeez.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If I had a chance to get a properly remastered Babylon 5 on Blu-ray, and all I had to do was burn down every copy of DS9 in existence, I would only probably decline, after serious deliberation. I'd be a little tempted even with TNG.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baloogan posted:

I'm rewatching B5, skipping season 1 and wow its a drat fine show.

Don't skip season 1, or at worst, watch season 1 on subsequent watchthroughs, because it's much better when you know what's coming.

I've been thinking about starting a new B5 thread since my wife wants to do the latter (she wasn't that into it during season 1 the first time either) and we watched The Gathering the other day.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On second thought I won't start a new B5 thread, all it'll be is people arguing about whether or not season 1 is worth watching (it is).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baloogan posted:

make a B5 thread!

I don't know, do I have to do the informative effort post thing in TVIV, because I'm not really up for that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Early 90s TV just isn't as good as modern TV admit it.

The really great things about B5 transcend the foibles of the era in which it was made. Not only that, I maintain you couldn't make a show like B5 today. Sure, you could make a show with good, well-written characters and even a coherent overarching plot. There may even be some shows like that, although the more or less single author's complete pre-planned five-year format may still be unique.

No, what I'm talking about is the spirit of the show. It took its time setting up all the pieces, which would get it slaughtered in today's market. And it intelligently and respectfully meandered around philosophy and religion without having an axe to grind.

It's like the wonder and heart of the ten best TOS episodes, a NASA library, The Lord of the Rings, and a classic Russian novel got mixed up together and made into a stage play that was filmed with a visual style inspired by the TOS movies.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baloogan posted:

make a B5 thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785889

There, I did it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

When did we end up in the bad universe though? Everything was going so well!

I've narrowed it down to the airdate of Parallels.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On the other hand, I wouldn't have much faith or interest in a show set post-Voyager unless they majorly change up the formula somehow. The only thing I can possibly see as worth a look would be post-catastrophe of some kind so the tech isn't completely out of control. That well is so dry it hurts.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Or at the very least Quantum Slipstream. They never figured out transwarp aside from 'steal a coil from the Borg', but Voyager almost got Slipstream right alone, give the full Federation a few years and they'd have it down.

This kind of thing is exactly what it doesn't need. At that point you might as well just name it Treknobabble: The Series.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

That show already exists, it's called Voyager.

My point exactly. I don't know how you set a show post-Voyager and avoid that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My current best hope for Discovery is a mission like TMP, or Ringworld or something, centered around exploring some awesome, arbitrarily advanced ancient alien artifact, and really getting up close and in depth with it rather than throwing it out there for a 45-minute episode and then moving on to the next thing. Make it an actual dedicated science vessel and less of a flagship.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

Was the TOS warp scale squared or cubed? Like was warp 2 4 times the speed of light, or 8?

I do think this has the advantage of making things get hilariously, atrociously fast as you go higher, but also might raise some practical problems here and there. It might also require the occasional glance at practical limitations (like 'is the ship actually able to go fast enough to do what we want it to do').

I think even the warp cube thing is an unnecessary retcon, it's never mentioned on screen and it would still lead to ludicrous travel times at anything less than like warp 8. Even at that speed on the cube scale it would take like 3 days to get to Alpha Centauri from Earth. Warp 5 would just be a complete slog to get anywhere, weeks between even relatively close star systems.

It's just a number denoting plot urgency; it was never consistent from the start and trying to make systematic sense of it is impossible.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

You mean the show with ... worse writing

I'm sure I've heard wronger opinions than this, but at present I can't think of any.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WickedHate posted:

objective quantifiable quality.

lol ok, that is totally a thing.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rhyno posted:

There's a DC comics called the Kingdom that involves a villain killing Superman then traveling back in time to the previous day and doing it again and a gain hundreds of times. I imagine dying and going to heaven to find dozens of your own ghost might be slightly unsettling.

Let's not even get started on the unlimited alternate-universe versions of you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Whoops, double post, see below.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 5, 2016

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Come and join us. GBS too.

Also, don't skip anything. Especially if you've got the time and you've never seen it. Don't just be a good little drone and follow the conventional wisdom; form your own opinions and talk about them interestingly.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Duckbag posted:

It still amuses me just how pessimistic Trek has been about the (then) near future. We were supposed to have had the Eugenics Wars and wiped out the whales by now. Sanctuary Districts, World War 3, and the Post-atomic horror are just around the corner. It's also surprising that our computing advances weren't slowed down more when the Voyager crew took that time ship away from that one dude.

We're about to elect either Trump or Hillary, so there's plenty of chance to get back on track.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gonz posted:

Okay, but only if they also bring back Deadly Games Nowhere Man.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was never as big on DS9 as I was on TOS and TNG. It's better than Voyager, by a long shot, but I'm not really either kind of Trek fan in that regard. By that time I was spoiled by B5 and Trek has never been top tier for me since. I pretty much rank the Trek shows in descending order from TOS through Voyager, with Enterprise an uptick at the end.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, Trekkies are also terrible, it's just that they're mostly older now and Star Trek has been semi-dead for a long time. ST: Beyond was good but flopped in the box office because young people don't give a poo poo about Star Tracks and we're all becoming old farts here.

I did try watching Dr. Who and saw the first 2 seasons of the reboot and it was just awful. Awful. Burping farting green baby aliens. A lady who is just a piece of skin stretched out. Some guy got a door in his head to expose his brain. The only good one was the one with the gasmask kids. I think Doctor Who is not for me.

The RTD years with Eccleston and Tennant, and I'll be honest, especially the fandom, killed all my enthusiasm for Doctor Who. Even though I thought it got much better the first season after RTD left, I never ended up watching any more after that anyway. I grew up with the old show, but unless you can view it with the proper context it might be difficult to enjoy. You've got to recall the imaginative powers you had as a child to overcome the deficiencies and see what they meant to show you, not what the budget allowed them to show. And I'm not talking about like you have to do with B5; the old Doctor Who is like that times 10.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm often told by people I trust that I would very likely enjoy old Doctor Who way more than new Who. I don't mind cheesy retro sci-fi, and I think old Who is probably a lot more genuine and I should give that a shot. There's just something I find so offputting about the new Who.

Duckbag posted:

The original show was constrained by its time and budget, but strove mightily to overcome its limitations. The new show doesn't have those same constraints, but chooses to wallow safely within the limits of the original format, and there's really no excuse for that poo poo and all the knowing winks in the world won't change that.

Quoting just the relevant portions here so this post isn't a mile long, but essentially this is correct: new Who is, in a word, self-conscious. It's basically a celebration of its own popularity. There are some really good episodes on the new show, I want to give credit where credit is due, but for the most part it's "isn't the Doctor awesome" rather than the old show mostly just telling far-out sci-fi tales using the Doctor as a vehicle. That's not universally true but it's accurate enough to give you good odds.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Question - how many people, even knowing the shows lacked consistent quality, watched Voyager and Enterprise from beginning to end?

I think I missed some of Enterprise season 2, and large portions of Voyager seasons 5-7. I've only ever rewatched TOS and TNG though; I haven't seen any of DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise since they aired.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't worry, it's gotten worse rather than better.

(Also there's an animated Power of the Daleks out soon)

I've heard, on both counts, and saw the trailer. Looks good, a big improvement over the previous animations. I haven't watched even any classic Who in the last few years, but hearing those radiophonic sound effects takes me right back.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dirty posted:

Kind of having trouble feeling bad for Star Trek. All Babylon 5 fans want is a HD remaster. Or even a better DVD transfer.

Life imitates art.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I said this in the B5 thread, I think our best bet for that is convincing some rich eccentric nerd to basically go to Warner Bros and say "okay, idiots, here's a check for [however many million it would take to do it right], let's get on with it"

And even then I could see WB being contrarian and petulantly refusing to do it for some bullshit reason.

Time for a letter-writing campaign to Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn't B5's issue technical though? Something about lost or corrupted effects files?

Yes, the film is in good shape and got a good (for the time, although it could be better) widescreen transfer, but the effects were rendered to SD video masters and that's what was used, so they zoomed and cropped it for widescreen.

I don't know the status of the actual CGI data, whether it was irretrievably lost or just too disorganized to collect it all, or the corporate suits decided it'd be quicker and cheaper to just reuse the master tapes. If memory serves, JMS had some suspicions about it, but I could be conflating that with any number of other suspicions he has.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

Look at what all these Star Trek nerds have done, and Babylon 5 nerds seem to be at least as passionate if not more so!

Passion != skill, or free time, and B5 fans are probably self-aware enough to know the difference. Granted, even now there are still a lot more Trekkies, so the odds of someone taking up a project like that is a lot better.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That looks pretty good for what I'd want as an update; I don't think I would care to have it stray too far from the original look even if it doesn't look photorealistic per se. Maybe a little improvement in the motions of some of the Starfury vs. Raider shots in season 1, which are a little stilted, is the only thing I would really want any different. Just give me high-res, better-textured, widescreen versions of what's already there.

I don't think it would be that much bigger of a project than the TNG remaster. There are more effects shots per episode, probably, but fewer episodes, and a lot of those are still reused establishing shots anyway. But the prospects are pretty dim after the TNG project didn't rake in the expected money.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Had a friend who insisted I watch the show. So I watched it, in the correct order, including the movie.

I was not at all impressed. It seems like they were trying too hard to have a diverse cast of characters.

This in a Star Trek thread.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

What I most want out of Star Trek is for it to make space travel interesting and exciting again. I want it to show the wonder of discovery (the name encourages me slightly) and the beauty of the stars. I want the joy of exploring the unfathomable, infinite mysteries of the universe. I want "let's see what's out there."

I don't particularly care about inclusion or social justice or whatever - I'm not saying don't do it; the premise of an improved and unified humanity is worthy and a core feature of the franchise, but if it's too much in the foreground past a certain very low level of preachiness, it becomes distracting and counterproductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

It's why I want a new Trek show where they leave Federation space in the first episode and don't come back until the finale.

This would be great if they can avoid the pitfalls of Voyager, kind of a chance at a do-over for a show that wasted most of the potential of a great premise. I wouldn't even mind if they go out for shorter than a full five-year mission and come back before going out again, like a pilot program of 6-month or 1-year missions as a preliminary for the longer missions of the TOS era proper.