Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Fuller shot down the idea that the show takes place between TUC and TNG a week or two ago. Other than that it's been pretty sparse as far as information.

Pretty much. All that's known is that it's showing on CBS All Access and aims to try to capture the fun of early Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Does CBS even have the rights to the events of the Kelvin Universe? They don't even have to say what time line it is in. They could just set it whenever they want and say "shut up nerd" when on of the captain's rib's is struck twice like xylophone yet plays two different tones.

There has been zero confirmation of when its set. Just random nerd rumors so far. As for using the alternate timeline, its all up to how Paramount would like to license it and how much CBS would be willing to pay for it. Seeing as how neither company is backed into a wall like Sony was with Spiderman I don't see it happening.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well there's room for a brand new character in the 4th movie now.

Honestly though, wouldn't it be kinda weird to have a new bridge character? "Here's the young versions of all your favorite TOS characters and their new friend Welshy! He was on the show too, just slightly off camera in the background of each shot!"

It's Lt Arex's time to shine now!

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

Ask Ralph Offenhouse how well that sort of plan worked out for him.

In one of the books he went on to be the Ambassador to Ferenginar.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Firebert posted:

Workforce is the two-parter least deserving to be a two-parter in the history of the franchise, I can't believe that anyone recommended it.

Workforce isn't good but I hesitate to call it poo poo. It's...unnecessary? It's 2 hours of why should I give a poo poo about this.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

For once its the US getting hosed for streaming. Guess it'll be like a BSG situation where where everything was torrented from the initial Sky broadcast.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

It makes me think that CBS is giving them barely any money to do anything.

After fronting all the money for the TNG Blurays it was bound to be fairly tight but yeesh that does not looks good. And I say this after having lowered expectations about Beyond and ending up liking it the best of the 3 new movies.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

It looks like it should be hauling garbage.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

All the other series had at least a years run up in preproduction to get everything setup and they don't even have the drat captain's chair finished or a final design locked down the the new ship. This is gonna feel really rushed isn't it?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Quark has a a Ferengi hero action figure with one as an accessory too.

It wasn't NRFB though so it wasn't worth as much.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Problem is that a good half of the cast is still pretty dull even in the fourth season but I guess that's partially the fault of season 1 and 2.

Poor Travis. Barely has any lines in a lot of episodes.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Most of the CW lineup does about a 1.5 unless its Arrow or Supernatural and several of those are in their third seasons. Only the really horrid poo poo gets cancelled there.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Krall's soldiers are the enslaved crews of the other ships he's destroyed on the planet. I think the other non-helmeted alien is implied to be from the Franklin, but it's never really made clear.

Pretty sure the only living people are the three survivors of the Franklin and the alien crews were their food. The rest of his army is the swarm drones.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

MorgaineDax posted:

Counterpoint: the one where Chakotay boxes aliens or the one where Chakotay meets that one sexy lady that no one else remembers. They might even be the same episode for all I remember of them.

For a second I thought you said "Chakotay hotboxes aliens". Probably would have been better.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Have you been watching the classic episode trailers? They are amazing.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Watch them all.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

So I thought there was supposed to be more announcements for the new series? Is all we get for now some unfinished Andorian makeup?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

How gracious of them. Seeing as how most of the recent episodes ran for 47ish minutes anyways I'd hate to see what the normal commercial rate is.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Not the first time. Sisko started as a Lt. Cmdr on the Saratoga then went all the way to Captain of the Defiant.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

WickedHate posted:

He was a commander for the first season or so on the station though, wasn't he?

Nope first 3 seasons as a Commander. You don't have to be a Captain to be a CO.

Also glad to hear no Section 31. Its an interesting angle but it got a bit much shoving it into Enterprise and Into Darkness.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

That's pretty much Elite Force.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A male British doctor

Hmmmm....

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Just have Michael Dorn play Worfs great-grandfather and bam instant ratings.

Does that mean he finally gets his yacht?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Yeah this is the Excelsior refit

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/File:Excelsior_class_refit_MSD.jpg

Not nearly as weird looking but still kind of ugly. That shuttlebay on the schematic is all sorts of wrong.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

There's a non-canon Horta crewed one. Its just full of artificial rock for them to reshape as needed.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Yes it was. 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites were also very good but were TOS.

There were also a couple other console only games for TNG but were not traditional adventure games.

Evek fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 13, 2016

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Timby posted:

The only TNG-era console game I can think of off the top of my head is Future's Past, which weirdly enough had a different title on the Genesis version, although I can't recall any significant differences between the two versions.

The other was Star Trek Generations: Beyond the Nexus for the Gameboy/Gamegear and I think it was very similar to Future's Past/Echoes from the Past.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

He is so OUTRAGEOUS it hurts.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Praxis was mentioned in the Voyager flashback-to-ST6 episode.

I think the 'fifty years to live' thing was basically "...if they don't make any other changes and just keep pouring everything into their military." The Federation President also mentions evacuation of the Klingon homeworld, but we don't know what actually happened there; maybe they developed some new technology that allowed them to reclaim the planet's environment without having to evacuate everyone. Or maybe the Klingon homeworld is largely empty by TNG, except for a capital city that's propped up by sheer force of technology. Or maybe the initial estimates of environmental damage were overly pessimistic. We don't know.

Even before VI showed there was a major disaster Qo'noS looked pretty lovely all the time with lightning storms and fog everywhere. Picard even had to wear a rebreather when he went to the lovely part of town in Sins of the Father.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Woah what I don't remember the rebreather at all.

Just watched the scene and no rebreather. My bad. It's still a lovely looking planet at the best of times.

Enterprise showed that it was more of a snowy, cold planet before Praxis blowing up in their faces wrecked it all.

Evek fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 18, 2016

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Eiba posted:

I was a pretty small child when TNG was first airing... and I have vivid memories of this episode and how utterly terrifying it was. I don't care how little sense it made, that scene in the holodeck where Geordi removes all the people and there's still a humanoid shadow is still one of the most fundamentally disturbing things to me, and I still sometimes have nightmares that feel like that scene, twenty years later.

Thanks Star Trek.

Also me too. Spooky.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

I think I had read that interview long ago but after rewatching some of Voyager and Enterprise and the newest movies it makes so much sense. It's really depressing that they treated Fuller like poo poo and was a completely toxic work environment. He also called Nemesis being poo poo before it was released.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

I remember watching Dark Matter last year as its in my Netflix history but I'll be damned if I can recall anything interesting about it. What a pointlessly dull show.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Gonz posted:

All I want is a Federation computer Siri voice. No disrespect to Susan Bennett.

Can I get a Cardassian computer voice instead?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Really not sure if Justman is trolling Gene or being sincere.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

He was the man called Hawk.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reading that 50 years of Star Trek part 1 book, it's interesting to know that WOK cost like 1/4th of what TMP cost. I agree with some of the comments by various people involved with the franchise that it seems like the films are generally better when the budget is more tight and they have to focus on the story. Granted now that's probably no longer an option with how the film industry is.

It worked for Deadpool with a budget of 58 million. Ryan Reynolds wanted to have Cable and everything in it but the budget was too small for all that.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember hearing that Syfy ran into serious issues trying to do BSG Blood and Chrome in all-greenscreen.

It looked really bad. Everything was blurry as poo poo to hide the cheapness of it.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I refuse to accept the Kelvinprise is that large. Did they ever say how large it is in any of the movies? Until they say something in a movie, I'm saying it's the same size as the original 1701/A

Its never mentioned but you can take an educated guess from the first one by the size of the windows and the escape pod Kirk is pushed into space. It's very comparable to the original and refit in size and I think it was only scaled up when they wanted to make the shuttlebay bigger.

So yeah, just another scale discrepancy to add to the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

Pieces of Peace posted:

Anyone that hates Move Along Home hates fun. :colbert:

It's only a game!