Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Having sorta met some of the Voyager actors and finding out that they are delightful, charming, and cool people first hand, I want to give that show another chance. I haven't watched it since maybe the second to last season aired something like 20 years ago... Is there a recommended list of episodes to watch or avoid? As a busy and important 30-something I don't have time for countless hours of listless, boring, irrelevant, dated tv melodrama.

Ugh, I haven't even started yet but I'm remembering Janeway's bizarrely inconsistent characterization, Chakotey looking checked the gently caress out like a robot despite being a terrorist, Tuvok scowling, Harry Kim staring vacantly, aggressively unfunny and cloying Neelix gags. I don't know if I can go through with this.

E: yeah right don't skip anything doesn't apply to loving Voyager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

macnbc posted:

Rumor mill is that Discovery has a budget north of $5 million per episode, which puts it in the same ballpark as shows like Game of Thrones.

That's drat expensive. I have the sinking feeling that even if the show is good, nobody has any desire to sign up for some stupid CBS streaming service and Star Trek will be doomed for ten years until the next sexy reboot.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Why don't we ever see the Grizzelas? They sound pretty chill. I hope the next series has a Grizella character to just hang out with and party until he's like -- oh sorry guys I'm feeling super tired. Then we don't see him again until next year except maybe once or twice by the replicator and he's cranky. Also jeez I hope someone's watching their planet when they're asleep.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Pulaski is great

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Captain Jellico was a Trek hero because he made Troi wear a real uniform for gently caress's sake.

Pulaski was great - the first time you see her Picard's about to yell at her and she straight up interrupts him and changes the subject. Nobody every interrupts anyone else on the Ent D so she is sassy and good.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, this just hit me. Grizzelas? Were they supposed to be a planet of bear-people?

...I love it.

Courtesy of http://star-trek-microheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Aliens

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I stopped watching during the CBS logo. Who the gently caress has time for that bullshit? All trash, I say. Not my Trek.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How the hell did Tasha Yar get into Starfleet Academy? We saw in that episode with Wesley and the blue dude that they only accept the very highest scoring nerds. If Tasha spent her whole life running from rape gangs and scavenging for cat food, how the hell could she be in a top percentile in warp physics or neutronium engineering?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

The Bloop posted:

It appears that Wesley was in some advanced early admission program. He was still like 16 or something. If he's just waited a few more years there would be no crazy Highlander test. I'm sure it's prestigious to get early admission and makes you a shoe in for RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

Ah that explains it. I was thinking Wes had to be a huge loser to study his whole life with space engineers and nanite projects but still struggle to get admitted to Starfleet while Tasha has no formal education and just gets in. Also hard to imagine Worf studying that hard but whatever.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Epicurius posted:

I know. But the impression we get from the episode with Tasha's sister is that the entire planet is like that. Just all war and poverty and violence.

Yes it makes you wonder why everyone hasn’t left for the Federation. Like well we could scavenge for garbage here and hopefully avoid gang rape on this totally hosed planet - or move to a post-scarcity utopia like 99+% of other humans. It would make sense if they were religious fanatics or something.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Dog_Meat posted:

Bit earlier in the thread, but... let's not forget that early Worf pulled a phaser on a viewscreen. There must be some kind of fast track for the special kids

Makes you wonder what O'Brien would have thought, seeing these over-confident academy meat heads looking down on the NCOs for never meeting Boothby or taking the Kobayashi Maru. Maybe the fast-track is just for security types? Then again Tuvok's no idiot.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Nessus posted:

The (((Federation))) is trying to trick you into moving into a soft post-scarcity economy free of most material deprivations!

Hahha I am totally going to steal the (((Federation)))

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Make sure to watch The Paradise Syndrome. That episode totally holds up.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
A tv show based on the exploits of the outrageous Okona...

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Wtf does an iconian even look like?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I like how in the episode where Geordie turns into a gross invisible monster, after his friend mutates, it seems like only he and Bev are working on the problem. The Enterprise is parked in orbit around this swamp planet doing nothing, there are hundreds of scientists available and even supercomputer Data offered to help but Geordie is like “gently caress off, I must solve this on my own.”

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
There’s a rigid schedule of toxic green beams to clean the ship. Just check your email so you know when not to be home.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The problem is we exist under capitalism, the totalizing global organizing system that subsumes all facets of human behavior to the logic of the market. Hegemonic capitalism produces the ways we see the world and even the very ways we experience ourselves in the world, not to mention understandings of “human nature”. Star Trek Federation people explicitly existing outside of capitalism, so have fundamentally different motivations and experience their lives in totally different ways than we do.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
You’d think considering how often power goes out or the computer malfunctions they’d have an easier and more accessible way to open and close the drat doors. And doors don’t seem to be hooked up to life support system. They’re in some secondary system, potentially meaning folks can be trapped inside random rooms unable to easily get where they need to be to perform repairs. I don’t think they ever addressed this, did they?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

Pretty sure if the power goes out, you can just manually open the doors with your hands, I don't think there's any physical lock keeping them shut, the locks need power to work.

Yeah but it isn’t easy. You see people using a ton of muscle strength to open the doors.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I don’t know if we ever see where those emergency or magnet handles are stored. Regardless it sounds like a fire hazard. Ans I don’t think the Enterprise’s children are going to figure that poo poo out and get to an escape pod.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I’m glad they’re so aerodynamic for all the space air

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I think it was discussed here not too long ago, but I just rewatched TNG Reunification (I and II) for the first time in ages and I was pretty underwhelmed. The episodes are full of decisions and events that just don’t make any sense. Just off the top of my head:

-The Romulans were going to take over Vulcan with 3,000 soldiers in completely defenseless transport vessels. Right, they were going to entrench themselves or whatever to make it a fact of life but give me a loving break, you couldn’t even occupy one small city with that number of soldiers, let alone a planet.

-If successful, the Romulan sneak attack would have obviously been considered a deliberate act of war against the Federation, but nobody seemed to think the obvious repercussions would have included a major war. Vulcan is a founding member of the Federation, this isn’t some border colony!

-Their plan hinged on nobody inspecting or even scanning mysterious transport vessels at all as they travel through Federation and Vulcan space.

-Evil Romulan Yar left Picard, Data, and Spock alone in an office with full computer access and no guards- a computer apparently capable of blasting livestream transmissions to a foreign power (and generate holographic projection too)

-Spock’s interstellar transmission of warning to Vulcan was not intercepted

- the pro-Vulcan Romulan underground was completely compromised and each of their identities clearly known by the evil senator and consequently the secret police etc. yet they don’t seem concerned to remain on Romulus. The same goes for Spock- all their tunnels and hiding places are known.

-apparently you can just easily send cloaked ships wherever, like loving Romulus, so earth must be 15% Romulan and Klingon agents

-why was irreplaceable, priceless Data on this mission?

-Riker violently assaults an unarmed Ferengi much smaller than him to get information

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 3, 2018

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The show subverts expectations by having Picard die of auto-erotic asphyxiation in the second episode. After the entire Enterprise D bridge crew is murdered at a Klingon peace conference, the rest of the show follows the lives of Picard’s assistant and his shuttle
pilot with no clear trajectory.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
In a shocking twist, it’s revealed that Worf survived the peace conference massacre only to be radicalized by his experience. The penultimate episode is Worf bombarding Risa from orbit, killing millions. 45 minutes of people screaming.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Voting Floater posted:

Rather than getting into programming the replicator, people could also do some experimentation with the outputs too. So, instead of replicating an entire meal in one go they could replicate the individual elements (meat, vegetables, sauce etc) and put the various parts together to make a more unique meal. That would obviously take a lot more work and creativity than just opting for one of the standard pre-set options.

That said, I expect the "slaving over a replicator" line was just intended as a "give the fek'lhr his due" type of thing where the writers took a regular expression and threw in a sci-fi word to make it fit the setting.

Yeah and I always figured the settings really let you get into the nitty gritty of the recipe depending on your preferences. Like you could salt +1 on broccoli portion two, steam for +3.5 seconds, that sort of thing.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Timby posted:

Into Darkness only has two genuinely egregious sins: Hitting the reset button on Kirk and Spock's friendship that was built on '09, so right from the start they're back to hating each other for some reason, and some truly awful dialogue.

:clint: "Where's the damage?"
:techno: MAJOR HULL DAMAGE CAPTAIN

Well, gee golly, my cup runneth loving over.

:doom: I WILL TARGET YOUR AFT NACELLE

what the gently caress is an aft nacelle they are parallel to one another

Magic blood

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The secret Romulan terror cell based on a he destroyed borg cube is clearly using slaves of some kind (maybe former drones whatever) to make a DOOMSDAY DEVICE to seek REVENGE against the Federation. Because that’s what Star Trek is about.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I think I prefer the new one as less creepy. Not great but there aren’t really any options for keeping Data around besides casting a new lookalike actor and nobody would stand for that .

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

davidspackage posted:

If it didn't cost an absurd amount of money right now, I think I'd like a lookalike actor with Brent's mid-TNG face CGI-ed over it a la Peter Cushing in Rogue One, with Spiner voicing it.

But I can deal with old Data a lot better than Data looking like he airbrushed himself with a free Russian app.

I hope they fixed his hair too.

I don't know, I really hated the Peter Cushing CGI abomination and too much computer augmentation can toss characters deep into the uncanny valley. I think it's better just to accept we have to either suspend our disbelief or abandon the character.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I hope they cram the entire show with easter egg references to fan favorite Nemesis. Maybe they can go back to that dune buggy planet. Maybe the Remans resettled there. Did Picard keep that photo which showed he was bald even back in the academy?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I just want someone to answer the question always had as a child: why is Picard bald? Was it a science experiment gone wrong like Lex Luthor? A war injury? A genetic abnormality ?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Early male pattern baldness is perfectly realistic, but yeah it isn’t what we know about the character Picard. They made him perma-bald because they thought the audience was so stupid they wouldn’t be able to comprehend or recognize Picard unless he was bald. Like I’m convinced if they were going to show a flashback to his childhood they’d have a little bald Jean-Luc sitting at the table with his bald
mom and dad so we knew they were Picards.

Nemesis was the only Star Trek movie I’ve only seen once, and that was when it was in theaters. Is that the movie we found out Janeway got promoted over Picard?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Picard turned down promotion multiple times. Janeway didn't. Also Janeway has a certain psychotic villainous energy that starfleet looks for in an admiral.

I get that wrt to Janeway. Is it really in character for Picard to turn down promotion, though? I can’t remember if that ever happened on the show. He isn’t Kirk, you’d think he’d love elevated diplomatic managerial responsibilities.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

skasion posted:

He turns down an offer to head the academy in the episode where they do the “it’s a prank bro” test on Wesley

Forgot about that! But Picard isn’t as huge a fan of young people as he is negotiating with alien governments.

Alan_Shore posted:

Also Kirk told him to never leave that chair

True, but character development in the TNG movies was all over the place. I guess they did establish he was an explorer at heart early on in TNG. Later on in the show, though, he was less about exploration than he was about diplomacy. I don’t see why he’d be so intent on staying a captain now that it was less exploration and first contact and more endless warfare with borg, dominion and skin-stretching perverts. I could see him wanting the admiral life even before running into a secret enormous romulan genocide ship run by light-averse goblin-orcs and a psychic rapist Tom Hardy/ Picard clone.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The only correct way to watch TNG is on pirated Chinatown VCDs — with artwork from different tv shows or movies and text copied from the first AltaVista search hit

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Oh.. no. This doesn’t sound good at all does it?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Starfleet and the Federation turning a blind eye to bad situations or harboring corrupt leaders has been a thing for literal decades in this franchise. Half of TNG is Picard railing against his own superiors about how they should actually act instead of clinging to policy.

This just seems like a continuation of that, the only difference being Picard setting out to right those wrongs without the benefit of an actual command. :shrug:

It's almost like he's staging his own personal rebellion against the authorities. An insurrection, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's about time Star Trek did something about 9/11!

It took some real courage to imagine "what if there was a space 9/11?" for the 5th time.

Actually if this matches up with the interview posted earlier, it might indicate that THIS space 9/11 is what turned the Federation inward and more xenophobic... which Picard will be fighting against?