Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey, has anybody posted the dude who used a machine learning AI to upscale some DS9 poo poo to 4K? Because it's absolutely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A recap, then:

A random dude used his mid-range PC and $100 machine-learning software to upscale a 5-minute clip from DS9 to 1080, and the opening to 4K. It looks incredible, especially considering it's done with consumer-level hardware and software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPSttIolmBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hInQkqmjn48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49oj2JUtn0A

https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/03/remastering-star-trek-deep-space-nine.html

e: the icing on the cake, IMO, is that most noticeable differences are in the CGI stuff, which is exactly the stuff that's theoretically holding them back from remastering the whole series, IIRC.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 23, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I appreciate the deep cut :glomp:

have you submitted to our lord and savior mama Burnham yet

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can see a pretty significant difference :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

We're rewatching TNG, and just hit the episode where they rescue a bunch of cryogenically frozen old men from the present. At one point one of them makes a comment about Crusher and smacks her rear end on his way out, and her reaction is so much more :smith: when you know she was probably dealing with that off-set, too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

e: wrong thread

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 26, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Taear posted:

Thanks for the absolutely enormous spoiler I guess.

Sorry, I've got both ST threads bookmarked and I mixed em up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

which of you horny nerds chose this as the example of the TNG science uniform on MemAlpha

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy loving poo poo lmao I'm dying

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's aatrek, aatrek posted all the photos for the article about Starfleet uniforms (2350-2369)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

O'Brien in the back like "how the gently caress did I get here"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah it was posted, if you check the link in the video the guy did a couple of actual scenes from the show, too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They look like the Starfleet doctors who ask you a bunch of questions before sending you to the Starfleet looney bin

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

They’ve posted a trailer for the DS9 documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxHtZqzie1k

I am extremely extremely excited for this

I don't think enough people are pumped that they storyboarded out an entire new episode from the original writers. Also I appreciate the dude using machine learning to remaster it but holy poo poo does the official stuff look amazing:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drone posted:

Move Along Home Alone 2: Lost in Third Shap

I would watch this in a heartbeat, Move Along Home is my favorite "so bad it's good" episode

But in reality I think it's actually a "if we had gotten S8 here's what the first episode would have been" which is still pretty awesome!

e: apparently it's animated storyboards too, here's a preview (I guess Molly O'Brien joined Starfleet too? Apparently Ezri being a Starfleet captain is from the books?)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 10, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also I am incredibly sad that I missed out on this reward for people who backed the documentary:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I haven't been able to find a high-res image of it :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

making permanent fashion choices to spite some woman you once met, a cool and good character trait

"permanent"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hope that isn’t the poster they’re sending out to the backers that paid for one :wtc:

If you're a paid backer you already got the Che Nerys t-shirt and I hate you

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also as someone who both currently has a huge beard and used to bleach/dye my own hair on a bi-weekly basis in high school, the logistics behind bleaching and dyeing a goatee and mustache without ending up looking like a deranged Blue Man Group fanboy must be pretty complicated.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was an add-on that I foolishly declined at the time :negative:

well then you deserve the Bluebeard poster as a constant reminder of your shame

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sash! posted:

I could have sworn I once read a story that Jeffrey Combs said Marc Alaimo almost got kicked off a flight they were on because he was freaking out the other passengers.

It's true but notably absent from the story is the fact that he was in full Dukat makeup at the time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

*wrestling the intercom from a flight attendant* ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Minidust posted:

Huh, the most recent Orville episode not only featured Marina Siritis in a bit part, but was directed by Jonathan Frakes. That was probably a fun day on set :)

Also written by the guy who wrote Darmok

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The alternate universe where Rosalind Chao plays Tasha and Wesley Snipes plays Geordi :swoon:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Well, not since she got that terrible infection from going back to front.

:chloe:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I really want to get into a star trek video game but Star Trek Online is the best most recent one and its a horrible pile of poo where all I did for an hour was shoot klinks and borgs. What the poo poo

Get Stellaris and the Star Trek: New Horizons total conversion mod https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/ST_NewHorizons

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

ST games have been almost non-existent since Activision lost the ST license and the CBS/Viacom split happened

IMO though New Horizons, if it worked perfectly, would be the ultimate ST game, and considering the scope and effort involved in making those kinds of games, I can kind of understand why nobody's willing to commit to it. Star Wars games are easier because you can always fall back on "action game where you have magic powers" or "pure space combat" but neither of those would really work for ST. It really would have to be either like a Bridge Command-type game (but there's only so much you can really do with that concept), or a full-fledged galactic-scale Space Diplomacy game like Stellaris.

ashpanash posted:

It's been like, what, 25 years since someone made a Star Trek game that wasn't a shooter or a space combat simulator? Star Trek is much more suited to the adventure game genre. I would say a Telltale game but lol.

This could work too but RIP Lucasarts, Sierra, and Telltale :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Planetary Union Network podcast (Orville Fan Podcast) scored an interview with Jonathan Frakes this week. Audio quality is bad.

Funny they got one before any of the star trek podcasts

Even Frakes knows that Orville is more of a Trek show than Disco :haw:

It's probably because he directed last week's Orville, though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Which apart from being directed by him, had Marina Sirtis, Tony Todd, Murray F Abraham, Ted Danson, and Victor Garber

Yeah it owned. That show is really some TNG-quality stuff and I love it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't remember any TNG episodes featuring Dolly Parton or Billy Joel as key story elements.

Their loss

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Bridge commander's single player campaign was a little boring and lovely but the combat is an absolute blast. Flying a Galaxy class is all about positioning and keeping your weak/recharging shields away from oncoming fire while keeping your freshly charged phaser banks trained on the enemy. Flying a nimble Bird of Prey is all about precision strikes against the enemy's blind spots. Plus I'm sure you can still get just about any Trek ship you want through mods, including TOS era movie ships if Klingon Academy is too old and low fidelity for your standards.

I never played Bridge Commander, was it more than just a Star Trek flight sim? I feel like an X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter type game wouldn't really work that well in the ST universe. Less because it wouldn't be fun and more because I feel like that's not really what Star Trek is all about.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yea it does have a single player campaign but from what I remember it wasn't very compelling and seemed there mostly for getting you from one battle to the next, which is where the game really shined. It's been a long rear end time since I played it though. I hear you about a Trek version of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter being missing the point a bit but if one wanted to play shootships with Trek lore craft then it's still the best option IMO.

I'm not sure of any modern Star Trek game that attempts to capture the non-shooty parts of Star Trek.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree a shooty Trek game would be fun.

But yeah IMO if you want an actual Trek game you really need some Stellaris, 4X-level poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibbles n Shits posted:

My dream Trek game would be Bridge Commander's ship movement and combat combined with a Mount and Blade-esque persistent yet evolving world where I'm just following orders from Starfleet command and the game occasionally throws obstacles at me to turn my routine missions into TNG-esque boondoggles. "Captain, the containers of Bolian soy beans we are transporting contained a mutagenic fungus and now the crew is slowly devolving into Jello pudding".

I'd like to see some variation on games like Battletech, where the missions are generated procedurally. Just give me a pool of like 200 alien races, 50 scenarios (first contact, pre-warp but their planet is about to explode, Mysterious Superpowers, neutral race caught between a faction war, etc.) and gray area win/loss conditions and I'd be pretty happy.

e: so basically some unholy amalgam of M&B, FTL and Stellaris I guess

e2: and maybe some Xcom-style crew management

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

I know, those have been my favorite orville episodes.

I mean I know you're not saying this but I've seen it in Youtube comments, and complaining that a Dolly Parton song ruins an episode of a Star Trek show is like complaining that a baseball game ruins an episode of a Star Trek show

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timby posted:

Oh, goody, H&I is showing Birthright Part II tonight.

I know what I'm not watching. :barf:

BBC America's got you covered!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leeta :swoon:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Roadie posted:

I think it has the same kind of problem as base Stellaris, though, where your science ships are rarely exposed to danger and are entirely distinct from your combat ships. To get that more Star Trek-y feel you'd need more of a play reason to have your top-of-the-line vessels spread out like science ships rather than clumped together in doomfleets.

hohoho friend base Stellaris has about a thousand problems

combat is deffo not that game's strong suit, especially, but I totally get what you're saying (I just like ragging on Stellaris [I really loving hate how war resolutions work])

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

you just mash one button while flying the ship.

Ah yes the Worf navigation method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

WTF - I just found out there was a collectible card game that got blammed from existence back in January? Anyone know exactly what happened with adversaries?

That reminds me, how was the original Trek CCG? I never played it but when I was younger I noticed that it tended to divide between people who played Magic the Gathering and the Star Wars CCG, and people who played Legend of the Five Rings and the Trek CCG.