Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Sanguinia posted:

And if you didn't like the final space battle and how the crew won it, I will LITERALLY fight you.
I liked the beats and shouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Chekov in TOS. :shrug:
Yeah, I found his shtick reasonably entertaining and not overbearing.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Also definitely watch The Gathering pilot. It's really rough, but I like how it sets some things up, it has one of my favorite lines, and it makes s1 look really good in comparison.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

FredMSloniker posted:

Meanwhile, Geordi and Data are trapped in a holding cell with everything exploding. Geordi uses his VISOR (that's even a canon acronym: Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement!) to hack the control panel outside the cell and lower the force field, but then the ceiling collapses - and Data catches the debris, one-handed, and throws it aside.
You missed Geordie giving a thumbs up after this. Unless it was just implied.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Angry Salami posted:

Which seemed to lead to a vicious circle, where he decided "gently caress it, if I don't get good material, I'm not putting the effort in", and the writers decided "gently caress giving him any good material, he's not putting the effort in." I have no idea why they didn't write him out...
From what I remember (from this thread), he kept asking for ridiculous raises hoping they’d fire him and they kept on giving them to him.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
The moral of Star Trek is that absolute power corrupts absolutely, and probably in under 10 minutes.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I, for one, would be pumped as hell if this Tarantino stuff actually works out.

Either it’ll be awesome or it’ll suck. And if it sucks, at least it’ll be an interesting failure.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
The tech seemed out of sync with starfleet/humans. It’s more what I’d expect from some other alien federation member, so I was a little thrown it was called Yorktown and was so human-centric (or it not being remarked on as a particularly impressive achievement for humans).

Of course the last time I saw beyond was in theaters, so some of this could be flat out wrong...

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Oh, here’s another thing that bugged me about Yorktown (though I did overall like it a lot): how is this crazy, gigantic, artful thing with tons of families the gateway to the frontier?

You’d think that there’d be a big opportunity to explore nearby the thing while it’s being built and/or you wouldn’t build a not-particularly-defensible colony right next a ton of “we have no idea what’s there!”

Of course, this might just be JJ Trek/all Trek’s poor handling of distance.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Fister Roboto posted:

Quark sold food and medicine to the Bajorans for zero profit, which is as close to a selfless act as you can get for a Ferengi.
Shameful, just shameful.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Does this work like a voodoo doll? Would consider if that were the case.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
^^^This but every time the transporter is used ever.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I’m 100% on board for Tarantino Trek. Even if it failed, it would be an interesting failure.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy is the best Voyager episode. Followed by Bride of Chaotica.

I remain optimistic about Tarantino-trek and skeptical of Picard. I’m sure there will be fun moments, but there’s a god drat stoic guy with a drat sword in P Stew’s merry band (edit: and someone beat me to this mention while I’m typing this post). Borg refugees is way more interesting than anything else I was expecting, but whipping out a Borg cube and space fighting in the trailer just makes my eyes roll completely around.

I’m a super grumpy pants, though.

Hoping Q shows up as his current age and it’s implied it’s just to tease Picard about growing old.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I kept this secret for months and he just...EW’d it out.

To attempt some positivity, best things in DISCO:
1) The scene where Michael logics the computer into letting her out of the cell.
2) Michael’s hair
3) Pike

Seriously, though, I find SMG’s portrayal of Michael compelling, I’m just generally not impressed by the material.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Pick posted:

In more important news, a really interesting cut sequence was released today from the the deep space nine archives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblS6bef1Gg

I think this pretty strongly cements some of the most effective themes of the show, and it's too bad that they clearly just ran out of time :(
Now that’s good television.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Powered Descent posted:

4) Saru
5) Tilly (season 1, before the writers lost the balance and made her annoying)
6) first episode of the mirror universe stuff
7) giving some of the minor characters stuff to do in s2, even if it wasn’t perfect

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's also literally just the first episode too, I don't even think the shots are different. Which begs the question of who on the ship was recording those events in TV format
Don’t know, but they’ve had the technology since at least the opening of STIV. And arguably in the Menagerie (which you could say was mind fuckery, but no one was surprised to see it, so...)

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
It’s probably related to what powers the Universal Translator.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Missing DW-Link posted:

So uh... wow? My GIRLFRIEND is the lead trainer at a boutique gym and a massive trek fan like myself. A couple of months ago she called me from work to tell me that Michael Dorn was at her gym. She was freaking out about it and I honestly thought she was pulling my leg. Since then she’s got to know the guy and was able to set up a workout with him, her and myself this week.

So, yeah, I did a workout with Worf. He’s a super cool dude, very down to Earth, and is legit into Trek. The three of us ended up sitting around talking about DS9 for a while after our workout, which was honestly surreal as hell. Sounds like he’s down to be my workout buddy again next week, so I guess this is my life now.

Background blurred to obscure the gym.

Please post a pic of your next meetup where you show up in a skintight blue jumpsuit ready to play Parrisses squares.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Nah, first season B5 CGI is even more dodgy than the rest of the show.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Khanstant posted:

Oh yikes, I've seen this before but didn't notice editing Riker to be in there. Like he's just chilling in the figure painting class to admire the model. That's hilarious.
I love it even more now.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Zurui posted:

I'm sorry.

This is horrifying and I almost didn’t save the image.

Almost.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I’ve got an idea for a Star Trek: how about they get a new cast, put em on a new ship, and they go check out something in space.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
There will be a baby with a beard in the background, but it won't be commented on. It will just be "for the fans."

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Friend is watching ST for the first time and starting with TOS, so I watched the first episode Star Trek Continues.

Surprisingly fun once I got past the frequently amateurish acting and slightly nasal voices. Which honestly were way less annoying than I thought they’d be in the end.

The guy playing Kirk nails a lot of subtle Kirk/Shatnerisms while not doing a parody or impression on the broad strokes so it’s a lot of fun to see how he’ll react to things.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Oh god damnit.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I mean, at least it’s not Kurtzman?

*sigh*

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I assume it’s like jury duty.

Sometimes your number just comes up, but everyone in starfleet is too upstanding to try to get out of it.

I also assume that’s what actually happened with Chain of Command.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Eaves’ best design by far.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I wish the Yorktown was an alien station they encountered. Then the difference between that and other starfleet tech would have made sense.

It also would have been a better thing to encounter than the stuff that was the main focus of the movie...

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I assume being in the Borg collective is like taking a really intense dissociative, but starfleet officers don’t do drugs so they are completely unprepared for it.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Maybe Worf just likes a standing desk.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

jeeves posted:

Wait what about Quibi?
Quibi has forced me to know their name, but I’ll be damned if they can make me know what they do.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
They’re fantastic and fascinating. The books always follow people at the interface between the Culture and non-culture civilizations.

I started with Use of Weapons and then read from the beginning once I was hooked.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Due to a mistake Bashir replaced Kurn's memories with those of the freshly dead Vedek Bariel
Before: “I don’t remember anything!”
After: “I don’t remember anything! Also I’m really bored?”

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I can’t condone Skipping Arsenal of Freedom and The Royale.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I really like Mariner and I like Boimler. I realized I don’t give a poo poo about the other two leads, though.

Overall, best Trek in years in my opinion. Less I hate about it than Voyager, but nothing in LD so far is as good as The Doctor or even Seven of Nine.

Edit: rotinaj, let us know when you get to DS9. :p

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I just remembered my favorite part of the show, which I thought really captured the optimism that’s been missing from recent shows.

Setup is the engineer guy is transferring to different jobs in one episode to find himself (kind of).

Anyway, everyone is always super supportive in the new job (including characters that are sometimes jerks) and every time he tells his boss he’s quitting because it’s not for him, everyone is SUPER PUMPED that he’s realized something about himself and is making a decision that will make him happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Agree. It’s not perfect, but it’s heart is in the right place.