Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm really looking forward to the new series, guys. Just so long as Mads Mikkelsen is in it. Which he is.

He is.

Sadly, I believe Mads has said he wouldn't be interested in doing television again since nothing could touch his experience on Hannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Oof. Mulgrew would've LOVED that...

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Re-watching "Chain of Command" from TNG from the first time in a very long time...

In retrospect and distance, is it me or are Jellico's requests not unreasonable?

Sure he has douchey moments, but drat Riker and Geordi come off as whiney and very un-Starfleet.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Who cares about the technology? Not the writers that's for sure. The implications of it all were problematic as hell dating back to The Cage. No reboot or prequel or alternate universe can change the fact that technology in Trek is always exactly as magical as the plot (and the production constraints) requires it to be, no more and no less. The original continuity deserves to be continued because DS9 left it in such a fascinating place. The Romulans and the Federation allied with each other for the first time in their centuries-long history. What happens with that? Does the detente with the Dominion hold? Does Bajor join the Federation? What does the Klingon empire look like under Martok's rule? Will the Cardassians rebuild? What does post-occupation Betazed look like? Will those that lived through the war spend the rest of their lives looking for changelings behind every tree? How does Ferengi society adapt? There are zillions of interesting stories to tell in this universe and there's no inherit reason to let the technobabble get in the way of doing it. There just isn't the will.

I agree. I'd love this very much. However, there is not only a forgetfulness amongst fans (not that it couldn't be explained very easy to the newcomer) - but again, original Trek is in the minds of the masses.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Toplowtech posted:

He insisted that Deanna Troi wear a standard uniform (A STANDARD UNIFORM!) and that his presence be announced whenever he entered. Clearly the devil by 80s standard. But yeah, they end up rebelling over his four shifts rotation.

And as we all know, the TNG uniform on Troi made her look even hotter. (And I'm very gay for the record)

But for most everything else, it's basically just DO. YOUR. loving. JOB.

Stop pretending like this is a goddamn cruise ship... Moreover, maybe leave the non-essential families off at the last Federation planet...

And maybe that's one of TNG's biggest failings. The Federation flagship shouldn't have children on board. That's patently ridiculous.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I can get behind that.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

WickedHate posted:

Starfleet, or at least TNG's Starfleet, has always been mildly military. Gene was adamant that they were explorers first and there wasn't any enlisted because class division or something like that. Jellico is basically a real navy guy harshing the buzz of the laid back Enterprise cruise, who's most militant trait is that most of them wear uniforms.

The Galaxy was made in peace time and had more than enough weapons and shields to roll over the stray bandit. Combine that with the cruise ship aesthetic and it's kind of a nice idea after decades of the space navy thinking being what Star Trek was all about. In theory, at least, "more space adventures and mysteries, less pew pew war" is interesting.

Well we all know Gene was basically a loon. Wonderful for the original idea, but the greatest stuff was never because of him.

But considering how many times the Enterprise was overpowered or in danger even in the Gene years... Sorry, no, families should never have been included

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Yeah - at the very least if you were an adult and knew what you were signing up for, absolutely.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Who cares about the technology? Not the writers that's for sure. The implications of it all were problematic as hell dating back to The Cage. No reboot or prequel or alternate universe can change the fact that technology in Trek is always exactly as magical as the plot (and the production constraints) requires it to be, no more and no less. The original continuity deserves to be continued because DS9 left it in such a fascinating place. The Romulans and the Federation allied with each other for the first time in their centuries-long history. What happens with that? Does the detente with the Dominion hold? Does Bajor join the Federation? What does the Klingon empire look like under Martok's rule? Will the Cardassians rebuild? What does post-occupation Betazed look like? Will those that lived through the war spend the rest of their lives looking for changelings behind every tree? How does Ferengi society adapt? There are zillions of interesting stories to tell in this universe and there's no inherit reason to let the technobabble get in the way of doing it. There just isn't the will.

But here's the thing - Romulus is destroyed in the 24th century Prime timeline (post DS9) via supernova due to Spock not being quick enough. So now in the Prime timeline you've got a scarce people ala the Vulcans in the Kelvin timeline.

So that makes things interesting as well. Which is fun for all sorts of different reasons.

So you've got a decimated people in the Cardassians and Romulans. Do the Klingons turn again? Do the others turn to small cell terrorism? Is the Dominion still a threat and everyone bands together under one banner? I do like this concept.

CaveGrinch fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 18, 2016

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
DS9 is my favorite series. Like others it has its low points and hi points. It tends to have more high points.

The one thing that has always bugged me though was the Founders literally turning Odo into a Solid. Did they just suppress his shape shifting power or did they make him a full on human-type? Was it ever explained?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

GlenMR posted:

Well, he was supposed to have a thing with Janice Rand, then she lost her job.

Does anyone know when the second volume of The Fifty Year Mission will be available digitally? I just finished the first and want to keep going.

It's been available on Kindle all month. I read it weeks ago.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Fifty Year Mission is quite good and is nearly all direct quotes from cast and crew both living and dead.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Variety reporting Bryan Fuller is out as show runner of Discovery.

There goes any hope I had...

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
It's been years but I just watched TNG's "Code of Honor."

Holy gently caress. Just wipe that poo poo from the record.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
That whole episode made no sense.

But apparently the captain of a ship can make any random 16 year old an acting ensign so it was doubly weird.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
How does the super genius kid who has literally been driving around the Federation flagship NOT get in?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Always leave it to Marina to cut the bullshit.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

skooma512 posted:

Don't you need a SAG card to have speaking roles?

Yes, but she would've gotten her SAG card from doing this. There are multiple ways to join SAG or Equity or AFTRA. They still audition non-union.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Knowing just how emotional Vulcans truly are, if Sarek was a scientist before becoming a diplomat - his resentment towards Spock becomes much more fascinating.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Pretty sure they re-thought it when they realized they were wasting the best actor on the show sitting in a chair all episode.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Zurui posted:

Bouncing off this: if I want to introduce someone to Star Trek I'm more likely to show them Enterprise than anything else. Enterprise looks closer to modern television and the beats and tone are closer to what you'd expect from a TV show today. No one is wearing silly space booties and there are no long establishing shots with weird synthesizer music.

Like, if someone wants cerebral sci-fi then I might show them some TNG but if they're just looking for Space Adventure then it's "Minefield" with "Dead Stop" for dessert if they enjoyed it.

Yep. They'll be sold by "Faith of the Heart."

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Roddenberry was much like George Lucas. Great original idea... now step aside and let more talented writers handle things.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Railing Kill posted:

I feel like I end up saying this every time George Lucas comes up: he can be both technically gifted and a god-awful writer/director. I don't think it's "revisionist history" to call his writing and directing dog poo poo, because it always was, even looking within the original trilogy. But I also don't think that precludes praising his technical achievements in visual effects. I didn't do that back there because I wasn't talking about visual effects, and no one else was either until it got dredged up in defense of Ol' Jorge. I was talking about writing, and Lucas absolutely sucks at that. Every Star Wars nerd has to get all up in arms and haul out all these technical merits every time someone has the nerve to question 40 years of nerd orthodoxy. If we accept that Gene fostered a cult of personality around himself, I'd like to know what we should call whatever all this poo poo is around George Lucas. Nerd Stockholm Syndrome?

(Although Gene was a manipulative creep, so it is safe to say he deliberately fostered a cult of personality, while whatever developed around George may not be his fault and may just be nerds being nerds. He's a consumer whore, but he's not a creep in the same way Gene was.)

Yes to all of this. Which is exactly what I was saying at the beginning too until BUT ILM! happened.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I'm awfully sad about Fuller getting kicked from Discovery... but it is probably gonna be a disaster in spite of itself. Probably better for him to concentrate on future seasons of American Gods and god willing a Hannibal mini series or Season 4.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
After Trek, I think it can be reasoned that three of the five Captains have had both acclaimed and lucrative careers after the fact (Shatner, Stewart and Mulgrew.) Terry Farrell had a good long run on Becker. And then you have a handful of others that do the occasional tv episodes or one off movie shots... while others, Frakes and Dawson specifically have gone into directing.

It's really like anything else - some will do stuff and others won't. Some are just happy to get collecting that sweet Con money.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
And seriously... you're gonna name the alien female Yareena when Yar is also central to the plot? Just sloppy all the way around.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Reading Michael Piller's unpublished manuscript about the making of Insurrection.

My god. So many bad ideas.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Crusher had the sex ghost. See thread title.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
NOW THAT'S A STAR TREK!

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
It's a life or death starship battle and those are the chairs the Conn and Ops crew are in? Those are literally built to fall asleep in.

Another bullshit TNG thing from early on. Luckily they did fix it.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Sure made the sets look nicer than they were.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Speaking of weird movie stuff... can someone confirm or deny this?

I thought for sure in the series after the emotion chip Lore installed in Data was removed (I feel like that was in "Descent") that it was rendered unusable. Then in Generations he just installs it like it's no big deal.

Am I misremembering this?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Gonz posted:

Chakotay not missing any replicator rations these days.

Lord he's practically handsome in comparison to some of the others of the era...

And that's not even getting into Jennifer Lien and her crazy mental illness.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

FuturePastNow posted:

There's a scene in Encounter at Farpoint where Beverly is shopping for cloth and she tells the merchant to bill it to the ship.

So I think every Starfleet ship or starbase has some money allocated to it and the crews just spend that when they interact with non-Federation economies. Everyone is budgeted a certain amount and if you blow it all on Dabo, you're eating at the replimat for the rest of the month.

I get it that latinum can't be replicated. It's why it's money.

Why the gently caress would you shop for cloth?

Oh yeah. TNG. Season one.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I was about to say... once she has her whole bolt of cloth, exactly what is she gonna do with it? Are we to believe Bev is going back to her quarters to sew something?!

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Gates danced the entire time (I believe she choreographed it as well) - but Spiner gets doubled at some point and it's pretty obvious as I recall.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Just watched the sequence again and yeah the Data double is in the overhead shot as well as one kinda 3/4 shot that was waaaay too close to hide the doubling

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I don't think either Greatest Generation or Next Conversation (I prefer the latter honestly) should get to skip *any* episode. The best thing is Next Conversation HAVING to slog through the first two seasons... bad episodes lead to much funnier podcasts.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Paradoxish posted:

This is kind of a weird complaint since Greatest Gen blew away all their vetoes, didn't skip anything, and already announced that they aren't doing vetoes for DS9 since neither of them have seen every episode.

Oh it's not a complaint - it's more of a comment that they shouldn't even consider it. I enjoy both by the way, just saying I preferred the style of Next Conversation more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

CaveGrinch posted:

Oh it's not a complaint - it's more of a comment that they shouldn't even consider it. I enjoy both by the way, just saying I preferred the style of Next Conversation more.

Let me rephrase. If you're considering doing a TNG comedy style recap podcast... by all means skip that Riker clip show. I mean, god... tv used to have honest to God clip shows