Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If your cable provider has MeTV, they're going to be showing the first episode of TOS along with the original pilot, hosted throughout by Svengoolie, this Saturday. Should be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvPVNNVX0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

curiousTerminal posted:

I love the Lwaxana episodes, she's so goddamn ridiculous in a way that only adds to the characters she interacts with.

Bed game so strong, she had that one guy ready to ditch his species’ afterlife and risk never seeing his family again.

I’m in the middle of DS9 and I’m kinda mad I didn’t watch this sooner. Sisko’s that dude.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Luxuries also include things like living spaces and historical objects like those books Picard always has under glass.

Also things that are inherently limited like a meal at Sisko's or a specific bottle of Chateau Picard. Both of those could be replicated but some people want the experience of going to the real place and having the real experience. Others couldn't care less.

I imagine if you want to live in an efficiency apartment and never go hungry and have the best health care and read every book and consume every entertainment product you can just do that without working a day in your life.

You can visit the beach but you can't live at it full time.

I’m reading this thread backwards so sorry for pulling up an old rear end post, but I just thought of something. How big do holodecks need to be to be fully immersive and functional? I just got the most horrible picture in my head of huge Soviet block style apartment complexes with little cubicle holodeck houses where everyone can program their dream house and not worry about physical space.

What’s the deal with trash in the Star Trek universe? They just toss poo poo in the replicator to be recycled?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, just finished the episode where Kira wakes up to find out she’s a Cardassian Sleeper Agent. What a mind gently caress of an episode. I just got done binging the Americans too so the revelation hit me like a bag of bricks. I was convinced the whole thing was legit and was thinking of the long term implications for the character if it ended up being true.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I imagine their toilets work on the replicator dematerialization setting too? Makes sense to recycle everything I guess. Pissing in the kitchen replicator would be tantamount to pissing in the sink?

Also, drat man, lil Jake was really punching out of his weight class when he was seeing that dabo girl. Sisko’s reaction was hilarious.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m watching the episode where Nog wants to join starfleet and I’m just like drat Sisko, give the lil’ Ferengi the recommendation.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m glad Sisko came around, even though he browbeat the poo poo out of that kid trying to find out why. I like that his dad was cool with it too, but yeah, the Kira/Odo b-plot was a snoozer. This show is too doppelgänger happy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was complaining about DS9 being too doppelgänger heavy, and then the next episode I watch has Riker’s evil clone show up. jfc.

It cracks me up how horny this show is sometimes.

And then there’s that episode where Troi’s mom shows up and the ship turns into a sleazy Cronenberg movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This episode with Sisko and his son building and piloting an ancient Bajoran Space Sail is just lovely.

And of course the b-plot is Bashir trying to hook up lol.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha and now Jake is trying to hook up his pop with the lady from Vice Principals. This show is awesome.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, this episode where Sisko dies and skips across time is some good writing. I’m loving Tony Todd as adult Jake, but I wish they would’ve got like a big handsome buff dude to play adult Captain Nog. poo poo would’ve been awesome if he was strutting around like Kirk or Ryker.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Probably would've made the actor feel kinda crappy though. I'm glad he was finally able to act his age!

Oh drat, I didn’t realize Nog’s actor was an adult, I retract my wish then, that’s actually pretty cool, and I will say he had the sitting posture of a captain down pat.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, this episode with O’Brien coming out of a 20 year prison sentence but in the form of a memory implant is some hosed up poo poo. That they just let some alien government cruelly torture one of starfleet’s officers without any real consequences is wild as hell.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think my issue is that O’Brien is tried and convicted in an alien judicial system, but a judicial system that’s still works within the jurisdiction of the federation, putting him in virtual hell without human representation would no doubt break a bunch of their treaties and poo poo, the show literally just went through this with Worf when he thought he accidentally blew up a freighter full of Klingon civilians.

It’s just crazy that those aliens would risk having the federation come down on them with all kinds of penalties and sanctions just so they could toss a low level military officer in space prison. I wish the show would have shown more of the governmental consequences side of the story, but I also get that it’s supposed to be more of a personal story about O’Brien than it is about space law.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 21, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha, goddamn, I forgot that Bashir was able to wipe Kurn’s mind but can’t do anything for O’Brien. He was probably just getting revenge for that time Worf and O’Brien beat the poo poo out of him in Quark’s.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I feel O’Brien’s rage in this ep where Keiko gets possessed by some wormhole alien. This alien is a huge rear end in a top hat and I haven’t made it to the end but I really hope Miles fucks their poo poo up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love Femke but the actress they got for Dax is really good so I’m glad that never happened. Worf getting all angsty during their relationship and telling Dax she’s too impulsive is loving rich considering all the poo poo Worf gets into on the DS9 because of his hot-headedness.

Also, the time travel episode where they crossover with the original enterprise is a lot of fun. Dax hosed Bones. :xd:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Retrofuturist stuff is so sexy though. I want a Googie pulp Star Trek.

“I love classic 23rd century design. Black finish, silver highlights...”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf8XgerKodQ

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ah man, I’ve been reading up on DS9 now that I’m in the thick of it and I just found out about Nog’s actor passing away recently. The last episode I watched that had Nog show up was when he and Jake were going to be roommates and it turns into Space Odd Couple. I read that Nog and Jake’s actors had a podcast too which I’m really interested in, but probably won’t start til I finish the show. Anyone listen to it?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nessus posted:

Humans don't have a signature melee weapon, we have the axehandle punch, the unstoppable combat maneuver hard won through five thousand years of conflict.

This got me to wondering. Has a phaser set to stun ever accidentally killed anyone? Like how tasers do sometimes in real life?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dukat ordering his second in command to help fix his relationship with his daughter is peak Dukat.

E: How big is the Dominion? They just lost like 2000 ships in the wormhole (goddamn Sisko, dude didn’t even flinch when he saw the entire fleet disintegrate at his say so), but the war still rages on like nothing happened? How big is starfleet too? They were taking losses like crazy during the last few episodes.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 24, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Federation should’ve weaponized the Tribbles and dump them on Dominion/Cardassian controlled home worlds.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

With retrofitted weapons and shields and the latest power systems, there's no reason an older starship couldn't keep up.

Load them up with replicator mines and warp them into enemy territories on auto pilot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I feel like this show missed an opportunity not doing a “Norm Morn!” joke.

Quark: “How’s the day treating you, Morn?”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So Section 31 definitely has a copy of Sisko’s deleted Captain’s entry about being complicit in a false flag assassination against the Vulcans Romulans to trick them into the Dominion War, right?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 26, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sure, yeah, S31 is omnipotent and omniscient, why not

I’d imagine they’re as capable as the nsa and have backdoor surveillance on all the ships in Starfleet at least, considering what their role is supposed to be (from the one episode I’ve seen of them at least). They should at least be keeping a closer eye on the Defiant/ds9 considering they were just on the ship interrogating the poo poo out of Bashir.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That episode certainly would have taken on a different tone if it was actually the Vulcans

Heh, whoops, yeah, meant the Romulans. My space racism is showing through.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 26, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be fair, that's just licensed games in general, and Trek doesn't really lend itself well to video games as much as even Star Wars does.

It would make for a awkward adventure game but a sim style trek game could be interesting.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like the Ferengi episodes of DS9 but hate the mirror world episodes, this ep started off with promise (the Nagus has been kidnapped, Quark and Rom are tasked to find him), but once they get into the mirror universe it just becomes a drag. What a weird way to introduce Mirror World Ezri Dax too, the mirror world version of Dax just so happened to die and have the same inexperienced Trill host nearby I guess.

E: haha Rom’s voicing my frustrations with the mirror universe.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 27, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Both mirror Ezri and mirror Jadzia were never joined. In one of the earlier mirror universe episodes Sisko even calls Jadzia 'Dax' by mistake and everyone wonders who he's talking about.

Ah, I didn’t catch that. Thanks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sisko justifying his hatred for Vic Fontaine is just a smokescreen and he’s jealous the crew didn’t get as involved and excited for his baseball game with the Vulcans.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They got pretty involved and excited for that though

Not enough to win. :colbert:

All joking aside, I really liked that baseball episode. Anyone know if they made real versions of those uniforms? I’d totally wear a Niners or Logicians jersey.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Looks like someone made Sisko and Kira jerseys, but I was hoping to get a Rom one (he wore number 13).

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09/12/anovos-announces-star-trek-ds9-baseball-jersey-pre-orders/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was wrong, Dukat seducing Kai Winn while undercover as a Bajoran is peak Dukat.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shut up Wesley!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Asking the girl you like out

vs

Creating a holographic copy of the girl you like then programming her to respond positively to your creepy and presumptuous advances

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

marktheando posted:

Well OK but there are a lot more times when it doesn't seem to exist.

Like all those times someone gets kidnapped, maybe looking at some footage would be helpful.

Sometimes the computer can make a completely 3D holographic recreation of what happened in someone quarters. Sometimes the computer’s like “uhhhh.....”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They have the entire series streaming on prime, I had no idea James Brolin hosted the first season and Frakes took over after.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man, I got into DS9 just in time for the eternal heartbreak.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nessus posted:

You'd only need to scan one really good version of a replicated meal.

I’ll be the one flooding the replicator scan queue with poo poo from the bachelor food thread.

Geordi: “who the hell keeps adding peanut butter and sriracha nachos to the replicator recommendations?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

This is making me want to draw something from Star Trek.

What should I draw?

Odo and Nog riding that space moray that attached itself to DS9.