Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I thought the episode where Picard has a fling with the stellar cartography officer was cute as well, idk :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Workforce is the two-parter least deserving to be a two-parter in the history of the franchise, I can't believe that anyone recommended it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

I like how Farscape did space fascism better anyway.

...I read this as space fashion and still agree

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

Farscape is a the best anti-star-trek show ever.

I don't consider it anti-trek. It's very TOS and pays a lot of homage to the series. Farscape is basically..."imagine Voyager if the writers and producers knew or cared what they were doing".

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

The warp 1.x ships that take years or decades to complete a given cargo run are a rad idea and I hope they do more stuff with Mayweather's background growing up in that.

I have bad news...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Moriatti posted:

Hey, so I am mid season 3 in Farscape and loving it.
What are good episodes to show people who aren't prone to wait for a show to find it's voice. Preferably something that would play well for a Doctor Who fan?

Premeire, Exodus from Genesis and PK Tech Girl are early episodes that are pretty representative of the show's tone and style and hold up on their own.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I want Trek: Telltale.

:same:

Lord knows it would be easy to get so many former cast members on board since so many of them are already doing VO work

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I would watch a Rockne O'Bannon Star Trek.

I would watch Worf gently caress a muppet.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does the thread have a favorite non-Q recurring character? I am a fan of Broccoli Barclay.

Also Weyoun. All of them except that whiny traitor.

Shran pretty much single-handedly redeems Enterprise

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The prequels aren't "not my Star Wars", they are "not anyone's Star Wars" because they utterly fail as movies like the TNG films or Into Darkness.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also lol there is literally an hour-long Plinkett review about how Star Trek (2009) is not a Star Trek movie but is a well-made action movie.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Y'all joke but Kojima is a legit sci-fi nerd and has often referred to his studio as the starship Enterprise

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/814432045698977794

He's the best :allears:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's true. Another factor is that TNG-TOS inspired lots of TV shows - some of them which advanced and improved the formula. Once you've seen shows like Firefly, Farscape, or I wanna say early Battlestar Galactica, it's really hard to go back to beige. Culture advances and builds on itself, and ironically the one Trek show that really rolled with it was Deep Space 9: the show that's the black sheep of the franchise.

Just to square this nerd discussion [in *both* meanings of the term] It's a bit like ID games. They made Doom, which inspired lots of other games. By the early 2000s, you had games like Thief, Half-Life, and No One Lives Forever. Once you played those games, going back to mowing down enemies with a chaingun in a sewage treatment plant is really hard.

Ironically, Doom was just reinvented to overwhelming critical acclaim! I think it's possible for Star Trek to reinvent itself as well while keeping its core intact; there is certainly space for Star Trek's unbending optimism which has been lacking from the past decade of Sci-fi.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 30, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Scorpius is probably the best (TV) sci-fi villain ever, and the writers of Farscape gave their actors immense opportunity to experiment with the bounds of their characters with the occasional batshit-crazy episode. It also manages to have legit tear-jerker moments because you actually give a poo poo about the characters and their fully fleshed-out relationships, even though half of them are puppets or spaceships.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Certainly it was a more honourable death than being killed in a soccer match!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Most people in Starfleet don't go to the academy, much like most people in the U.S. armed forces don't attend West Point/Annapolis. The reqs for the Starfleet academy seem pretty analogous, right down to requiring an endorsment to even apply (in some instances at least).

Pakled posted:

Which makes it all the more puzzling that Barclay got in.

Nepotism, probably

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Oh poo poo it's Franklin from True Blood, that owns

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

It may have just died out, especially after like centuries under a unified world government

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It can be in the same continuity but still look different. No one expects the ship interior to look like a 60's TV show despite predating TOS by like a decade chronologically. Honestly, who gives a poo poo about artistic license. This is like the 5th? iteration of Klingons in the Star Trek universe, nothing is sacred or immutable in fiction.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

It's clear that in the Trek universe, one of the casualties of the third world war was baseball sabermetrics. this guy is not a baseball player, no wonder people stopped paying attention.

Captain Kirk is not an astronaut, no wonder Star Trek was cancelled!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

King Hong Kong posted:

As much as I enjoy DS9, there is a lot of forgettable filler (especially if you don't generally care for the Ferengi episodes) because the writers had a habit of writing several almost indistinguishable episodes for certain characters. I defy you to say that any of the Dax symbiont related episodes are really worth watching.

The one where they did the ceremony where she meets Dax's past hosts through their possession of the senior staff owns. Crazy Sisko chewing scenery, Odo living it up, great episode.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Pacra posted:

Wait why is farscape good again I forget : [

I liked BSG but stopped in the middle because of the constant religious baltar stuff

It's a well-written show with weird, likable characters and a really good main story beginning from mid-season one through the end of the series.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Rascals is pretty rough for O'Brien too. Jesus, Keiko, are you crazy?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Did any of the characters in Voyager outside of 7 of 9 and the doctor even have character arcs

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
the goddamn ship got sick because neelix was making cheese jesus christ

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I don't understand the embarrassing catsuit-n-high-heels fetish of Star Trek producers. Visitor, Ryan, and Sirtis all looked better in the Starfleet uniform and it was way way less stupid.

So did T'Pol

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
How much responsibily did Lucas have in making Indiana Jones? I could take or leave the Star Wars franchise but the Indiana Jones trilogy is one of my favourites.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Cautiously optimistic. Wasn't expecting much but the production values are a lot better than I was expecting. I hope they actually commit to the concept and not just kill off the captain in the first 3 episodes. Also couldn't care less about visual continuity with TOS...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/fancyfembot/status/873955870425612288

qapla'

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It looks fine? :shrug:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
that reddit thread is a loving reach lol

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that they seem to be making the more aggressive Klingons way darker than the "nicer" Klingons we've already seen?

Why do you assume the regal looking guy standing at a podium is more aggressive? Dude looks like a noble.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Well "more aggressive" in the sense that they're going to be portrayed as adversaries and not as tense allies. I'll admit I'm picking hairs, but there's unfortunately too many "darker skin = more evil" examples in genre fiction already.

Oh, I assumed you were comparing him to the other Discovery Klingons we've seen that are lighter skinned. They seem to be a lot more racially divergent than the TNG/DS9 Klingons were.

And I doubt they will be protrayed as evil. Klingons have been at war with the Federation in previous series and were never evil per se.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Didn't hit me at first but the new Klingons are totally Scarrans. Good to see the Discovery team borrow from the best Trek, Farscape.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The only odd bit about Yesterday's Enterprise is that guinan doesn't really "fit" being on a battleship, but then she can't not be there because she holds the plot together

She knows mind kung fu and she has a giant space rifle under her bar, she is probably more capable than most of the security staff on the Enterprise.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Still looks alright to me :shrug:

If they cut a trailer for DS9 today, 2/3s of it would be fires and explosions from the first 5 mins. That's just how this stuff is marketed.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It could happen but I don't think they would cast Rainn Wilson if that was the direction they were going with the character

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
TNG was exceptionally bad about Prime Directive stuff. There were probably a dozen episodes about cataclysmic events or planetary-wide diseases that Picard didn't want to intervene when they had the technology to just shoot a couple of torpedoes filled with magical science solution and fix everything with no one on the planet being the wiser. Just stupid, stupid writing.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0yVUaL9CWs

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also they are quite literally military ships that go to war and defend federation planets, even if that's not always the focus of the show.