Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Arglebargle III posted:

In the future, thanks to advances in medicine, linguistics and family law, it will finally be possible to have four grandmothers capable of running a marathon. Mankind will finally discover the tetragrandmathon.

Does anyone find you amusing, or just insufferable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still boggles my mind that they couldn't be bothered to have consistent uniforms either....rather than get a whole new set of the DS9 version uniforms, they had like half TNG ones and half DS9. So lazy.

They do it all the time. I remember when the founder signs the peace on DS9, about three years after the first contact costumes came in, there is a shifty looking guy stood in the corner wearing a tng s3 uniform. Also, how long on tnt did it take the extras to get the collar uniforms?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would really like to see what becomes of the Ferengi and Cardassians post DS9. Grand Nagus Zek and later Rom enact a lot of reforms making the Ferengi more progressive and egalitarian - I think it would make sense that a reformed Ferenginar would join the Federation sometime.

I'd also love to see a newly democratic, postwar Cardassia. They could take inspiration from postwar Germany, even. It sounds like the books make Garak President of Cardassia, which is rad.

Speaking of that, in one of the books, Sulu becomes President of the Federation.

No you don't. Leeta and Rom have a baby. AFAIK Barak isn't in charge, but a leading light and envoy to the Federation.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm in the mood to play roulette for some reason.

Dabo!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Kin posted:

I just finished season 3 of TNG as part of my Blu-ray marathon and gently caress me, that was some good TV (best of both worlds pt1).

Something that's irking me about the set though is that that special features seem to disjointed. I don't want to jump back and forth between disks, but when you stick on the extras they'l often be talking about the episodes later in the season. I've seen them all, but I've not seen them since they aired so it's nice to not really know what's coming up.

I do really like how season 3 pretty much solidifies Pickard as the righteous hammer of authority though. You just don't gently caress with him, even when he's on holiday.

You certainly don't misspell his name.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I don't get why warp has a numerical speed gauge at all. Narratively, I mean. It just causes all these problems when you could just keep it ambiguous and say "max speed", or "we have to faster!"

Because its not a cartoon.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

All this Voyager chat made me check on my favourite Ocampan loon. Yup, still mad as a hatter (latest is a dui in March)

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 23, 2016

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Man, Future's End is horrifying. They panned across the LA boardwalk and it took a few seconds for me to realize that yes, this is what 1996 actually looked like.

You are not far behind me. Imo they should have left behind Janeway with her pants suit, and gone with Captain Hobo. The bitch sold him out to the cops. Series 3 is a slog.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 25, 2016

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Tunicate posted:

They got shrunk down like in that episode where the defiant got tiny.

No such episode exists. Bad nerd.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Gene was responsible for Turnabout Intruder. Even for the times, a lot of the other people on the show were pretty aghast at it.

Who? Everything I have read mentions none of that. Everyone was punching the clock by that point, also story by GR means gently caress all in tv production, its credit and moolah.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Watched Fury last night. As bad as Trek old people make up can be, they did pretty well with Is Me a. She looked pretty much like crazy, juiced up, flashing Jennifer Lien of mugshot fame.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I'll wait for the holographic version.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I watched the s2 ending of Gotham last night in preparation for the new season, and I can't be sure, but I'm nearly sure it was Terry Farrel in the final scene.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hmm. When Kai Winn and Elim Garak come out against you, I'd say your hosed Mr Trump.

I really hope.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

That was one weird uh... Malkovich impression?

I thought it was Jack Nicholson, if he had been in 'of mice and men'

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hey! I just got a call from Rick Berman. He's too cheap to spend :10bux: but he wants all of you gays outta here!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years really puts emphasis on the uncensored.

This is from Ande Richardson.

I've never heard of this woman before, but I'm really enjoying her quotes in the book. She's black and was friends with Malcolm X, MLK Jr, and Maulana Karenga, and worked as a Desilu secretary before becoming Gene L. Coon's personal assistant.

Apparently, she used to answer the phone 'Hello? Coon's coon speaking, how can I help?' in the thickest southern accent possible. Now THAT is a lady with a sense of humour.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I was going to say that you can't leave out that part because I almost fell on the floor when i read that. Her segments of the book were some of the most interesting.

I haven't seen the book, but earlier books have quotes and stuff. All the production staff loved her, and I'm sure Gene tried to.. get to know her better

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Timby posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Edit: From the same site, Roddenberry having a small fit about the Trek III script.

David Marcus is an argument for abortion? :stare:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

VanSandman posted:

Iggy Pop can't act for poo poo.

Couldn't agree less. The whole episode is about how frustrating and annoying the ferengi are. Iggy had been stuck with Ishka for an extended period of time with her banging on about finance and moisturiser, now these insignificant little trolls are loving him about non-stop. Vorta are bred to be diplomats, but this is a guy at the end of his rope. Its also nice to see other levels of ferengi society.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pakled posted:

It was in DS9 before it was in Nemesis.

and was in Insurrection first.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

CaveGrinch posted:

Pretty sure they re-thought it when they realized they were wasting the best actor on the show sitting in a chair all episode.

Marina Sirtis?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Not if you are not in the states. $76 for customs and shipping.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

vermin posted:

I'll see that and raise you German Techno Faith of the Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74iAs6AqOhM

Bosh bosh bosh. I still like the 'don't stop me now' version Dans did.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ffs. People have too much time on their hands. God help you if you drive through the South with an idic plate.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

remusclaw posted:

As a regular reader of the Everest thread whenever it pops up in GBS, I was turned onto this great documentary on Netflix called Valley Uprising. It's about three generations of rock climbers in Yosemite and the advances they made and such. The first group treating each formation essentially like mountains and doing tool assisted climbs up them, and the later getting more brazen and athletic until people were just straight up free climbing El Capitan when only a few years prior it was essentially considered impossible to do even with tools over a long period of time.

What this brings me to is Shatner as Kirk free climbing El capitan in Trek V. First of all, Jesus Christ the people who were doing that poo poo were some of the most fit people I have ever seen, and Bill Shatner in 1980whatever is not that. Second of all is just how 80's that movie was.

"Go climb a rock".

Star Trek V's opening moments latch onto the rock climbing celebrity fad of the time that I didn't even know existed.

Microbrews climbng the mountain because.. he was in love. He wanted to make love with the mountain.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

remusclaw posted:

I was reading the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 thread and someone mentioned in reference to Mantis how empath characters are always female in way to play up gender stereotypes and such and I though immediately about Trek. Do we ever meet any male Betazed?

Tam Elbrum.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Oh, awesome. Jeffery Combs is Brainiac in Injustice 2.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Astroman posted:

Believe me, I want it to be related more than anybody, but I just don't think these guys will give any lip service to canon at all. Remember this series is literally taking place at the same time as The Cage, but you know it will not look at all like the aesthetic of that ship/technology/uniforms. I'll give you the idea that technically The Cage might not be canon because it was never aired, but what Discovery will do is basically retcon The Menagerie out of existence, which effectively erases 4% of the aired episodes of The Original Series, which is not cool.

Why they couldn't just set it in 2245 instead I have no clue. :shrug: At least Berman and Braga had the decency to set Enterprise in an era we had never seen or heard about so despite their insistence on viewscreens, "phaser pistols" and Borg, the ships, tech and uniforms wouldn't be so anachronistic.

I'm in the UK and we have aired The Cage

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Timby posted:

Wait, what? Are you talking about the guy who said that he was named for the English accent?

I'll thank you to remember it is a race and language, young man. I thought Geordie was named after a disabled Roddenberry fan?

Whilst I'm here, Timby, I remember years ago you said the reason for no turtlenecks in flashbacks in TNG and whatnot was the singular machine to knit the necks. How did they manage Generati9ns?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Still from Discovery:

I have a nasty feeling this all they have filmed.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Timby posted:

Discovery's producers attempt a bit of hilarious damage control.

I like the implication that no one had any idea of how long it took to build sets.

Edit: "You can’t cut corners or have 95 percent of what’s on screen be completely original and inspired and then have five percent something you bought at a store." Tell me, are you aware of how Wah Chang fashioned his props for the original series? Or that the VISOR was fashioned from a 99-cent barrette that Mike Okuda picked up from a drug store?

There is also Bones' med scanners which were bargain basement Swedish futuristic looking salt and pepper shakers. Then when they need a salt shaker for 'The Mantrap' they had to steal one from the commisary, so it actually looked like a salt shaker. Also Justman was forever rooting in bins and dumpsters on the lot for set dressing.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

What bothers me is that's clearly come from people who haven't really seen the show because there was always conflict. And also, tons of people are reading it that 'everyone will hate everyone else'. :wtc:

Doctor, thanks for the Toddy McDoyle FB thingy. Cheers me all the way up, wha?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

The great DS9 watch continues with Inquisition. This is DS9 trying to do The Drumhead, right?

You're in for quite the treat, and ignorant even have Garak in it!

e: new thread title " Do you remember when I first offered you scones?"

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 11, 2017

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

"...I can live with it."

drat, that was so good.

There is no two ways about it: the very best episode of trek.

" Mr Garak will be along shortly to see you "
" Garak? He's... here?" :ohdear:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That Klingon looks like a lovely Warhammer figure. All black with some drybrushing.

The discovery klinger looks deep blue to me..

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

You got a source for that?

Timby, as usual, is correct. It was a chance meeting at a fundraiser, and she was too busy loving Roddenberry to quit.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I hate to be defeatist, but it seems awfully likely Trek is hosed to death.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I've just been watching some previous con panels, and it occurs to me that Andy Robinson (I can call him that, I met him so stfu) he could do an awesome Joker. He already has the serial killer chops. How loving great would that be, when he gets rid of that ratty ponytail. Tuck or to and his disgusting presents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Awesome! Just been watching the end of Gotham and Ras' al Ghulis played by Alexander Siddig, and he didn't even result to his growly evil voice used in DS9 s1