Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

UnquietDream posted:

Quick question, figured this would be the best place to ask. I can't easily identify which Star Trek thing this is from, I got it years and years ago from the Star Trek thing in London. Star Trek hivemind thread seemed like the best resource.

Edit; Date on the back is 1995 if that helps.

The outside delta stands for Starfleet, the peacekeeping armada of the United Federation of Planets. The shooting star inside stands for Command Divison from the original 1960s Star Trek. The red inside is surprising and didn't appear on the show, but neither did lapel pins like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

That's gay

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Maybe Prime Sulu was closeted and JJ Sulu embraced his true sexuality. Given the gratuitous sexuality elsewhere in Trek, I personally don't give a gently caress about ~Gene's Vision~ when it comes to character sexuality. I don't think Sulu smooching a few cute boys will unravel the delicately woven tapestry of sex planet Risa, Riker trying to gently caress a hologram, and erogenous-eared Ferengi.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MrJacobs posted:

Why would Prime Sulu be closeted when there is no cultural norms that challenge homosexuality in the 23rd century? He can do whatever the gently caress he wants with no fear of judgement from federation culture.

MikeJF posted:

The very concept of the closet still existing in 300 years is horrible and not an acceptable explanation given the general optimism of Trek.

Given that there have been no gay characters yet, and in one episode we witnessed a gendered creature "reprogrammed" back to androgyny while the Federation stood aside, do we have any basis on which to assume there are no closets and there is no discrimination? We're making alot of assumptions.

If making Sulu gay spurns 1000 discussions like this one, I'm all for it.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Brawnfire posted:

Star Trek also have first salamander sex

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
If you haven't seen Ted 2, and you like dick and weed and fart jokes and a bunch of scifi references and 3 4 Star Trek alum, then see it.

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 18, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cat Hatter posted:

I lost interest during the court case that was basically Measure Of A Man but not as funny. The only giggle they got out of me after that was Worf+Tick.

I did nearly lose interest in the courtroom scenes, but I stuck it out for more Dorn cameos.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cojawfee posted:

Does Netflix do weekly episodes?

They do thrice weekly for Chelsea.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

thexerox123 posted:

So, some casting news for the next Trek movie was released that is essentially a big plot spoiler....

It's going to star Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth. Time travel father/son Kirk movie!

I like the idea, it could be fun. It suits the Kirk of this series especially.

Star Trek Beyond Daddy Issues hopefully

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

It's amazing they got off easy with, "sorry i killed ur guys bro, i was hypnotized"

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
drat i wanna click dem spoilers, but nope i can't

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Folks who have seen STB: Without spoiling too bad, are there episodes of TOS or ENT, or TOS movies that could be watched in advance to add to the STB experience? Or are the references more general than specific?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

SuperDucky posted:

If Beyond had only had the opening ten and closing ten minutes, it would have been okay. What utter poo poo otherwise. I'd rather go rewatch Nemesis.

Ouch, don't cut yourself on that edge

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MikeJF posted:

I really won't mind if the CG looks kinda eh, as long as it's versatile enough to enable storytelling possibilities. It's the writing I'm more concerned with.

Same. It could be 2 dudes in a shuttlecraft, but if there aren't good scifi shory stories then this will be a short lived venture. Or at least one I don't want to watch.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

armoredgorilla posted:

As much as I loved Beyond, the shaky cam during fight sequences was awful

I also did not care for that, but luckily I like the beats and shouting.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

HD DAD posted:

Hey man, if Marc Alaimo can be both Generic Cardassian Baddie and Gul Dukat, Elba can pull it off as well.

And random poker player in San Francisco in 1893 or whatever

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
My reaction to the Discovery ship CGI

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MikeJF posted:

I'll be honest, I'd have been happy if the movie had just been two hours of panning around Yorktown.

I was on a balcony at an ultrascreen with a hangover and I was very happy when Yorktown stopped spinning around me.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Quinto's performance is not strong enough to make me not think of him as the brain eating guy from Heroes.

Urban's performance is so good that I can't even remember what his actual voice sounds like.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

I loving love that video. I wish it was feature length.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Start Truck Disco Very posted:

already profitable
already boycotting
i guess in a way we're all already dead
and already forgotten

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Saw Beyond again today, this time with my dad who's a TOS ultra-fan (he liked it). Caught another easter egg; during the Yorktown scene where Sulu meets his family, there's a boarding call for "Stargazer, NCC-2893". Nice little shout out to TNG, even if the timeline's a little wonky.

edit; although maybe not, if you assume the Stargazer was a 60 year old POS when Picard took command.

Just watched Relics and Picard calls his beloved Stargazer a piece of poo poo, so this checks out.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Just watched Schisms and when Riker is running his hand over the conn console you can clearly see philips screw heads. Not even torx. Immersion ruined.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Duckbag posted:

Worf is dating Troi for some reason

In Parallels, he finds out that he is married to her in another universe, so then he decides to let the empath know what he is feeling

If you know what I'm saying

With his penis

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Kin posted:

I just finished season 3 of TNG as part of my Blu-ray marathon and gently caress me, that was some good TV (best of both worlds pt1).

Something that's irking me about the set though is that that special features seem to disjointed. I don't want to jump back and forth between disks, but when you stick on the extras they'l often be talking about the episodes later in the season. I've seen them all, but I've not seen them since they aired so it's nice to not really know what's coming up.

I do really like how season 3 pretty much solidifies Pickard as the righteous hammer of authority though. You just don't gently caress with him, even when he's on holiday.

I also hate the special features placement. I'm dragging my wife through all 7 seasons on bluray and a ton of poo poo got spoiled for her.

I made the mistake of ordering Season 5 "used" and the case showed up with literally zero discs inside. :rolleyes:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cojawfee posted:

Was it eBay? Did the auction say season 5 case.

No, Amazon "used" 3rd party fulfillment. By then the whole series was available for the price of 3 seasons, so I bought the whole poo poo and returned the empty case. Giving the first few seasons to my TNG buddy for his bday.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
do you think that hugh gets embrassed when he detaches cybernetic enhancments in front of the queen
sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of hugh detaching enhacnements while he looks nervous or embrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
another thing i am wondering is what do you think the enhancements smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Its about loving time

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A male British doctor

WickedHate posted:

I know, right? I thought that too, but it's such an obvious thing to point out...aw, what the hell, I'll say it: We already had a British doctor with Bashir.

Well, Bashir was a black British doctor, so they could be fresh and pick a white British doctor

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
At the end of STB, they show the time lapse construction of the 1701A. Are there any good hi res shots of it out there?

I want to be excited about it, but there was so little screen time with the first 1701, that I'm not sure what the big differences are.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Ogmius815 posted:

Enterprise seasons 3 and 4 are better than any season of Voyager and as good as much of TNG though.

The worst thing about ENT is the extent to which certain regular characters were underutilized. Particularly Mayweather. I guess no one wanted to write for him because they never did anything interesting with him at all. In fact this goes to a lesser extent for all the characters other than Trip, Archer, and T'Pol.

Mayweather should have been more brash, trying dangerous piloting maneuvers that he had done on freighters. Reed should have been an overt creep instead of a subtle creep and should have constantly talked about the Royal Navy. Hoshi should have constantly spoken different languages to the plurality of nationalities on board.

They should have had something that makes me think they didn't have casting inboxes labeled "Black", "Brit", and "Asian Woman".

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Rhyno posted:

Jolene Blalock was super pissed during the filming and was very vocal about how insulting the entire premises of the finale was from day one.

She was just pissed that she had to hold still while Frakes smooched her.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
:gas:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Totally forgot that in Aquiel, Chief Autist falls in love with another woman based on her logs and records. Just like people do today with social media. TNG predicts yet another technology failure.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

mystic pimp posted:

Every time somebody mentions that episode to me, that's the part I think of because it's just hilarious. You just don't see Riker for the rest of the loving episode, he's totally out of there.

Mainly becauae Frakes had to finish directing the episode, but the comedic cue is just perfect.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Gelf posted:

I hate to sound like Chicken Little but a lot of the stuff Bryan is saying is reinforcing this feeling I have where I genuinely do not understand how they can be ready to broadcast episode one in January, when this is the current stage of production. It's a feeling I've had since the work in progress Discovery ship reveal a while back which caused all those CGI rumblings amongst some. If you don't have anything to show at a certain stage, it's best just to play your cards close to your chest.

I'd rather have a delay announcement than a rush job, first seasons of shows are usually shaky enough!

TNG announced casting in May 1987 and hit the airwaves in September 1987, so casting timing looks ok. While the Discovery ship CGI was iffy at best, Roddenberry wasn't even sure in 1986 if he would use a ship for travel in TNG.

The whole show could still turn into a wet fart, but like Thomas Riker, I'm trying to keep my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cojawfee posted:

This guy gets it. Another trek nerd trying to be edgy and say the movie is garbage. All the movies are overacted garbage with lame plots, that's what makes them Star Trek movies.

He actually doesn't say it's garbage. He says it's better than STID but worse than the other movies in general. And by the end, he is struggling with wanting to be a fan of the new movies while reconciling that with a cornerstone of his youth, which he is acknowledging as something that is gone. It's actually a good review and describes accurately what many 90s Trek fans are feeling.

Now, excuse me, I have to go watch old episodes of the only true Saturday Night Live, the one with Dennis Miller, Julia Sweeney, Al Franken, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Chris Rock, Chris Farley, David Spade, Adam Sandler, and Tim Meadows.