Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So anyone who’s up on The Orville thread may know I just started my adventure into Star Trek because of how much I enjoy The Orville. I was some dumb elitist nerd my entire life and never gave Star Trek a chance; always very dismissive and would even rag on it even though I hadn’t actually seen it. I don’t think I had seen a single episode of Star Trek until two days ago. Now, my tastes and opinions have changed and I have since realized that Star Trek loving rules and I wasted so many years not being on the bandwagon.

So far I’ve been loving what I’ve watched of TOS. I already know I’m going to binge through all of it ASAP. I love stuff like Forbidden Planet, Starcrash, Space Thing, and such. Barbarella is one of my all time favorite films. So this is right up my alley.

I do have a question about the episode order in TOS. I know that there’s very little continuity between episodes so it’s sort of irrelevant what order I watch them in. I would prefer to watch them in order though if I can. On Plex/IMDb the episode order looks like this:

But for some reason, on several... umm... “packages of files”, the order of episodes is as follows

Which is the actual order that they were aired in so I can get this in the proper order. I’ve checked multiple sources and it seems a toss up what order they list them as. Some sources say what Plex is loading for metadata and other sources say the order the files were actually put in.

Edit: Looks like Netflix has them in the same order as what Plex tries to order them as. I’m guessing that’s probably correct.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Thank you! Much appreciated :)

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I wouldn't say there's zero progression. The most "natural" way to watch TOS - at least in the first season - is The Cage, Where No Man Has Gone Before, The Man Trap, Charlie X, and then follow it through broadcast order. There is some continuity (I, Mudd obviously happened after Mudd's Women, for example), but it's subtle.

Someone please show those miners the joy of homosexuality and there will be no need to spend money on wives

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Well there sure as poo poo isn’t any shortage of bombshell mod girls in TOS :drat:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tarantino is not going to stick to 10 films.

I would be interested to see what his script for Star Trek might be though.

Kirk’s name has been changed to Daddio Johnson and he’s now black and behaves a lot like Shaft

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Watched Charlie X last night on TOS. Seems like they were short of ideas in TOS. Every other episode is a nearly all powerful being somehow boarding the ship. The Man Trap, Charlie X, and Where No Man Has Gone Before all have the same general gist of plot.

I did enjoy the mop monster for The Man Trap though I got a good chuckle over that

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Give me a Jodorowsky Star Trek Before he dies

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

McSpanky posted:

The Holy Asteroid

If you’ve ever seen Jodorowsky’s Dune you would know that Jodorowsky has one amazing and crazy vision of what Sci-Fi should be. It’s a god drat shame he never got to do anything in the genre.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

So after about 8 episodes of TOS I started TNG. While I adore old sci-fi nonsense and love TOS so far my girlfriend (who is a big fan of Orville too) wasn’t too keen on it. TNG is already fantastic too. This first episode is great. Q guy is fantastic.

The first thing out of her mouth when Data spoke was “woah he sounds just like Isaac!”

:v:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo. Gene from Layer Cake is in the crew. Nice!!!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

The Naked Time. The Naked Now. I get it. Cool episode so far

Edit:haha I read somewhere about someone taking a shower with their clothes on. Nice.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 6, 2017

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I watched Where No One Has Gone Before and Lonely Among Us last night. Both great episodes. I appreciate the Orville parodies a lot more now.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Drink every time someone says “Sir”

:rip:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Watching Lonely Among Us. Data smoking a pipe and talking like Sherlock Holmes is the greatest thing this show has done (so far)

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

They sure don’t care about gravity very much just beaming down to places all the loving time without any questions

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder what role Tarantino puts himself into the film as

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Can’t remember the name of the episode, but in the one where they go to the scantily clad gently caress planet and they want to murder Wesley due to a weird law they depict the “god” character that is more or less an inter dimensional being as a floating circle that makes out with Data’s forehead.

Then a few episodes later in Hide and Q, Q appears as the same exact spherical looking type life form as the god character from earlier. Is it safe to say that Q is of the same species that were hovering the gently caress planet? Is Q a unity type situation where it’s many beings that exist as one like a hive? Also was the “not solid” ship outside in orbit with them the main Q vessel of some sort or was it an illusion since they are basically all powerful?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Hahaha Troi’s Mom owns

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Wesley is currently being tested to join Star Fleet. Why is it they only let one person of the group he’s testing with into Star Fleet? Seems like a dumb and arbitrary thing. Clearly the rest of the group is also qualified, so why turn down good potential? It’s not a loving frat, they need all the help they can get I would imagine.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

:lol: Yar’s anti-drug speech to Wesley was almost too much

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Oh no, :rip: Yar :(

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Woah the upgrade in quality from season 1 to 2 of TNG is almost jarring. It looks like they dumped a lot more money into it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I was sort of half awake for a few episodes towards the end of season 1. Why is Doctor Crusher gone? I liked her :-/

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Is that Whoopi loving Goldberg what in the hell

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

That’s hosed up and unfortunate

E: in regards to the sexual harassment

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I’m just very upset they replaced my redheaded eye candy with some perm looking boring rear end lady. They already killed my pixie cut waifu. What’s next, Riker is gonna grow a beard and ruin that handsome face of his?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Wow the next episode they run into Han Solo. What a world galaxy

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 10, 2017

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Comic, I wish to know what is funny
:goonsay:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Data just asked the universe’s least funny hologram to teach him humor. This is almost painful.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Holy shot now Data is cosplaying Riker’s new beard. I love you Data.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Lol Riker is moonlighting in a Klingon ship and basically did the equivalent of beating up the toughest dude in jail so no one fucks with you.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

One, or both?

That was the best line of the episode. There should be a spin off with just Riker and Data.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I’m watching the episode where Wesley has a crush, and I’m pretty sure the girls Mom is wearing an exact outfit that I’ve seen Grandma Tyrell wear

E: I think maybe it’s her guardian of some sort

E2: Riker smooth talking Whoopi was great

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 13, 2017

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Riker cooking the gang an omelette like a smug rear end in a top hat only for it to turn out terrible was really enjoyable

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

The Worf is acting weird sub plot in this episode is significantly better than the Riker’s daddy issues main plot

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Data is breaking all sorts of Prime detective in this episode; for a weird robo-child relationship too. Oh data.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Do we see more of the Borg? I just saw their introduction, they seemed pretty cool.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Lmao this Irish colonist drinking the Klingon booze gave the most spot on Austin Powers impression after a sip

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Did they replace the actress playing Troi’s mom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I dont like Pulaski. I want Crusher back. She’s just terribly bland.