Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Powered Descent posted:

If anyone hasn't read it, it's here: http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm The visual design of that website is horrendous, so be prepared to copy-paste the text into something so you can read it without your eyes bleeding. But it's worth it, the man absolutely nails what went wrong with Voyager.

What the hell is wrong with their web designer? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Instant Sunrise posted:

One thing that a lot of people like to point out about this episode is that one of the writers would later go on to write a very similar episode for Stargate SG-1 called "Emancipation." The main difference being that instead of a planet full of black people, it's Mongolians.

Wait that wasn't an episode poking fun at TNG??

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Actually that looks a lot like Riker in that mural?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

FredMSloniker posted:

The intro would show off all the protagonists and antagonists. The flagship of the evil Star Empire (imagine the TNG promo guy doing the narration and pronouncing it 'Staaaaar Empire'), the classic Klingon ship named the Vengeance, flies toward the screen, and we dissolve into its bridge, where we see a Romulan, an Orion slave girl (as sexy as they can make her given the content rating), a hybrid Borg (in this show, most of the Borg are full-on robots, but this one is human), a Ferengi, a few miscellaneous aliens, and the Klingon captain. Move down, out of the bridge, to see the planet it's over, explosions visible from space.

The away team would be pinned down on the planet's surface by advancing Borg drones. Riker would leap over some debris into cover, then start blowing them away with his phaser as they haphazardly fired back. Worf would burst out of cover and start carving them up with his bat'leth. (Since they're robots, it's okay!)

Meanwhile, Geordi and Data are trapped in a holding cell with everything exploding. Geordi uses his VISOR (that's even a canon acronym: Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement!) to hack the control panel outside the cell and lower the force field, but then the ceiling collapses - and Data catches the debris, one-handed, and throws it aside.

Dr. Crusher sprays an injured Troi with a healing energy beam; then Troi returns the favor when a drone pops up to attack them by blasting it with her telekinesis (she's also a full-fledged telepath). Then the Enterprise swooshes overhead, clearly visible from the ground, and beams everyone directly into their bridge positions.

Picard gives an order (no voice, because the butt-rock version of the TNG theme is too loud) and points dramatically at the viewscreen; cut to the Enterprise blasting the Vengeance with phasers and photon torpedoes until the Klingon captain grits his teeth in rage and barks an order to have the Vengeance retreat into warp. Have the whole bridge crew beam onto a boulder or something to pose dramatically.

Stick a scene with Wesley in somewhere (he is, of course, the teen sidekick who gets the crew out of trouble almost as often as he gets them into it), and you're golden!

This is 10x better than the Discovery premise thus far

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Sash! posted:

This almost exact plan did not work in the Clive Cussler Dad Airport Novel "Dragon," wherein Japanese built cars were secret nuclear weapon carriers hidden throughout the world.

Wait this is real

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Remember the time Tom Clancy wrote about a Japanese guy seeking revenge who then piloted an airliner into Congress?

Oh those innocent days before 9/11

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

evilmiera posted:

The idea of "giant piece of metal with jet engines on could be dangerous" is so obvious and boring in comparison to some of the crazier poo poo rightwing nuts could write up. Not to mention slightly more realistic. Aside from poo poo like " Iranian manages to infiltrate the Republican Guard of Iraq, murder Saddam and then Iraq just folds like wet tissue paper to Iran who could totally occupy them without issue" that appears later in that book or series, as I recall.

This is actually a good point when you get down to it.

Pre 9/11 Tom Clancy seems quite sane given the context.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Burning_Monk posted:

The best part of Stargate was that a couple seasons later they would do something like run into an army of ghost and someone would be like "remember that ghost gun we used before? I made a few 'adjustments' it's a ghost canon now."

I hope that was an intentional misspelling.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I thought the new Star Trek movies were pretty good except for the Khan's blood reviving Kirk thing.

A more cerebral Trek movie wouldn't have made it out of Hollywood intact. It would just end up as Insurrection, Take Two.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Tom Guycot posted:

Apparently it will also have a new game mode that apes FTL where you're being chased by a borg cube while trying to upgrade your ship to eventually fight it. They're also adding a new ops system merged with the engineering station.

I am extremely excited for this.

Oh poo poo

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Windows 98 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHumLzUWjbs

I uploaded this to YouTube for you nerds to enjoy. It’s a 45 minutes documentary behind the scenes thing that aired before the series finale of TNG, hosted by Mr Riker. Highlight is when he goes to the pathetic Trek convention and shows up to surprise an audience of mostly empty chairs.

Isn't this on Netflix?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Far Beyond the Stars was the Benny author guy one right?

Yeah it was framed badly and would have been a perfectly fine episode if it was a holodeck history lesson or something. The whole dream thing cheapens the message.

Note: I like the episode very much but I do have to mind wipe myself of the setup to enjoy it.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

hey so, I was browsing my local library's website for a few books and uh

As a librarian I don't understand what I'm looking at here that's weird?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Allen_Aldo posted:

As an also librarian I can tell you that this is what the ILS (this is the library equivalent of LCARS or something) known as Polaris looks like; our consortium in north suburban Chicago has it, and local availability means at your library vs at another sort of nearby library that you can also get it from.
We switch over to it in January and our patrons/users kinda hate it for the most part.

I work in ILS/LSP development and I can tell you that my first reaction was "did some video approval account vendor accidentally send them two copies and waste taxpayer dollars?"

Polaris can eat my rear end.

Wait it's a Triple I product?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Librarian

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

HorseLord posted:

England has never ever been a white monoculture. There was always "moors", going back to Roman times. Apartheid segregationist style of racism was never a thing here, beyond the efforts of certain extremists, which is why your men stationed here in WWII were so shocked and appalled to see us freely fraternize with black soldiers. While the 20th century saw the emergence of overtly fascist movements here, they've always been crushed, not by the state but by the people. The majority of the civil rights work that happened here was much more about trying to get grandma to remember that "coloured" isn't polite anymore, getting harmful stereotypes off the TV, rather than dismantling segregationism.

Those people were objectively terrible, it is not a new modern standard we're holding them to. The KKK, american nazi party etc are the truest american patriots in the sense that their values are the foundational ones of the country. Civil rights are a deviation from that, which is why the government itself spent so much effort attempting to crush it.

I think that it's very strange that you equate demonizing them with "not discussing" their flaws or erasing them, when by definition you need do remember them and discuss them in order for them to be demonized.

Other countries have no problem with denouncing the legacy they are founded on, and starting over. France is on it's 5th republic. Russia is on it's third, Germany it's fourth. Instead you elevate the skeletons in the closet to the level of a religion you practice in parallel with Christianity. Please, at least stop worshiping your constitution and write a new one that's actually relevant to 21st century society, it's loving weird.

I understand what motivates you. As an American you were brought up in an extremely nationalistic environment where your country is not only the most powerful, but also most benevolent, and that any harm it's done was a "mistake" rather than by design. Every classroom has a flag and you have to pledge yourself to it every day. Every football match starts with your brave airforce flying over as you put your hand on your heart. USA. USA. You've been told you're number one and you believe it. If America has a problem, and America is number one, then other countries must also have that problem! Because America is number one! Nobody beats America at anything!

So even though European countries emerged very differently and went through a very different and longer historical development, you still assume they have the same problems yours has. Because to do otherwise implies you're not number one at something.

Have you even seen Star Trek before?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Star Trek is at its best when it's optimistic.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Thus far only Law and Order does RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES well and it's almost played for laughs.

Can you imagine if TNG did an episode where Wesley leads Gamergate and Lieutenant Ice'T of the Klingon Special Victims Unit has to track him down?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I actually really liked the Star Treky twist they did for the Major in GITS. It cuts down to the idea of stolen identity and heritage and being forced to adapt to a majority culture.

To be honest it wouldn't have worked with an Asian actress. The movie resonated with me.

I think TNG did a similar episode with an orphan and the ensuing internal struggle.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

oh but seriously I posted:

marina sirtis instead of troi and jonathon frakes instead of crusher and they p. much already did this

Wait WHAT

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I thought the Riker cameo was well deserved and came off as a great payoff that cemented Archer and crew as legitimate members of the Enterprise legend.

That it was a holodeck thing during Pegasus and not some post Nemesis era.... Eh.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

runwiled posted:

King of Bad Opinions.

It might have worked if this wasn't a finale but saying that Enterprise isn't legitimate Trek without tying it to TNG is really bad. I don't think Enterprise had to prove that.

You are so lucky you're cute...

It was a sweet and adorable little cameo and trekkers be haters!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I'm just always happy to see the Enterprise-D (if you know what I mean) no bloody E.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
It's genuinely very surprising that my favorite part of ENT is very divisive. Hell even my mother liked it and she vastly preferred TNG.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

The Bloop posted:

seaQuest DSV

poo poo I knew I forgot something for the quarantine

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I always thought "Cause and Effect" was one of the most boring and contrived episodes, capped off by an utterly bizarre cameo.

Edit. Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age, but "Move Along Home" is a great Quark episode where he hopefully learned something.

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 19, 2020

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
If anything, DS9 was really weird for having a Chinese woman play a Japanese woman who is inordinately fond of old school culture and comes across as worse of a weeb than Worf and Klingon culture.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I actually really like the Kevin Uxbridge episode. Maybe because I'm a man of special conscience

Wait who was talking poo poo about this one?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
It's a beautiful episode about the intensity and passion in loving another person. And the grief and loss of not just the person but our own barriers in expressing and working through that loss. And what you'd do to get back to spending just one more day with that person.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Exactly which edition of Insurrection has the commentary track? There's quite a few options.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Epicurius posted:

It's the Blu-ray version.

Ah! Thanks it was listed as the Multi Format edition on Amazon for some reason...

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
The biggest crime of Insurrection is wasting the potential of the villain from Amadeus.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
"Does this Star Trek thing help me aspire to a better humanity within myself and others?"

Yes or No?

It's a real simple litmus test.

Voyager doesn't pass it most of the time.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

quantumfoam posted:

Have been continuing my readthrough of 1987 SF-LOVERS mailing list.

The first 5 episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation have aired, lots of SFL people picked up on the most obvious recycled elements from earlier Trek films and episodes. SFL people weren't sure on most of the main TNG cast until episode 4, then calmed down mostly. Q was seen as a one-off Trelane recycle until he reappeared, Troi haters started calling her BETAMAX, and just about everyone is theory-crafting ways to age-up Wesley Crusher/kill Wesley Crusher/transfer Wesley Crusher to another spaceship so they will stop having to see Wesley Crusher in TNG.

Also, this open letter to Gene Roddenberry was infamous enough that a SFL person posted it to the SF-LOVERS mailing list with zero comment, along with the canned response from Gene Roddenberry's personal assistant Susan Sackett.

------------------------------
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 87 11:56:59 EST
Subject: The letter...

Linda Peterson

Mr. Gene Roddenberry
"Star Trek"
ABC

Dear Sir:

Although I am not a confirmed "Trekie", I looked forward to the new Star Trek television series.
My overwhelming disappointment caused me to write this letter.

My concerns: Do you really believe in white male supremacy?
Surely the future will be more equitable - such as...

An "Asian type" captain (we are outnumbered now by Asian
peoples). Also, baldness in the future? I doubt it.

Jonathan Frakes just does not have the face of a strong,
aggressive "Number One" - perhaps a Latino, or a Jimmy
Smits type.

Do you really see "Miss Emotion" going into battle in a
mini-skirt?! The costumes in general lack imagination.

Mr. Data looks like PeeWee Herman with his off-white skin
and slicked back hair. All the hairstyles seem to some
from yuppie America.

Do we really need another TV show with the young wiz-kid,
who will obviously save the day. Heck, why not add Lassie
to the cast.

Yes, the show did have some strong points. The storyline fit the
mold. The Klingon and "Blind" crew member are interesting. Surely
the show will progress. Maybe there will be an accident and some of
the crew will have to be replaced. I won't change the channel yet.

Thanks for listenning.

Sincerely,
/s/ Linda Peterson
10/5/87
------------------------------

This is the best post I've seen in a while.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I assumed that the plastic film was a reference to dorks keeping the toys in the wrapped box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
You know, after watching Nemesis and Picard I think Olmos would have made more sense as Picard and Stewart would have been a better Adama.