Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

It's a little hard (hyperbole) to watch the DS9 Bell Riots of 2024 episode in 2017. But it's still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Does anybody think that we're going to have a congress that would pass a 'Jobs Act' referenced in DS9's "Past Tense" between now and 2024, with enough time for it to be dismantled?

Oh wait... goddamn it... it already happened, in 2012. But it doesn't have the connotations. Ah well. We're still dangerously close to DS9 "historical fiction future" and it scares me.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Does anybody still have a high-res version of the Captain Sisko "REAL" Shepherd Fairey poster? It feels like it fell off the Internet.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Gonna poll again, in case anybody missed the original request:

Looking for the Sisko "REAL" poster, in the vein of the Shepherd Fairey Obama "HOPE" poster. I can't find it anywhere on the Internet, but remember seeing it in these threads years ago.

Any help?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

After seeing some favorable talk in this thread on The Orville, I decided to give it a shot with my wife. I got all the way to the trial in the third episode where I decided I can't do MacFarlane humor anymore. The referenced-based anachronisms also threw me off. I'm spoiled and snobby about my Space shows, I guess.

I did dig the set design and proper camera orientation.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'll give that the humor may not be to your taste but as for reference based anachronism, what do you think is happening every time the Enterprise crew goes and pretends they are detectives or plays classical music?

Episodes that focus on straight-up anachronism in Trek (like "Take Me Out To The Holosuite" from DS9, or the Julian Bashir-as-Bond episodes) are some of my favorite episodes.

Having at least three-to-four references to 350+-year-old media within 43 minutes of show when there are, like, at least 350 years of "current" media to riff off of (like, when Dax wants to listen to a Klingon composer in a runabout), I think this is just not the show for me.

Orville Ep 3 spoiler:
Exchanging the captain/xo for the entire library of "2017 modern and back" Reality Television was a real good call for a joke, but completely breaks fourth wall and throws me out of the show.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Peachfart posted:

DS9 is the best Trek.

It's this one, with credit to TNG for setting the tone prior.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I actually really liked tonight's episode of DSC. I am SOOOOO glad they stopped with the 15° tilt bullshit from the pilot.

Hopefully we get a silly episode soon, though.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It's Avery Brooks' 69th birthday!

Nice.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I'm waiting for Jeb! to get to "the line."

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Holodeck 4

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Yeah that's the good stuff

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I'm so blessed that Robert O'Reilly was able to bless us with not only Kavok, but also GOWRON

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I actually just made my wife sit through Threshold just now. My goodness the swears. She's very upset. She wants Tom Paris horribly murdered, and has requested that someone tell Sisko to kill the Janeway/Paris offspring this very instant.

I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Man. I'll say this about Discovery - I am having to mute the Klingon scenes. Unwatchable otherwise.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just watched Emissary tonight to prepare for Greatest Generation: Deep Space Nine and man I love it. The opening scene is so intense and Sisko's being pulled away against his will while shouting for his dead wife actually have me tear up. First time I've watched it since having a child myself. Man I love the dynamic between Sisko and Jake immediately.

Also the whole prophets thing that rapidly changes between points of time and that white void with his eyes going all REM is fantastic. Apparently there are people who hate this part though?

One thing is for sure though: Jennifer Sisko is a terrible actress, at least in these episodes. Good lord, I can't believe those were the best takes they could get.

My wife does a dramatic re-enactment of Sisko screaming “JENNIFAAHHH” and “We can’t just leave her heeaaahhh” whenever we start talking about the Battle Of Wolf 359.

Mirror Universe Jennifer Sisko wasn’t too terrible seasons later, but I didn’t find her all that bad, save for maybe the Prophets snippets.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Was this last episode supposed to be allegorical to the “puzzle” of Encounter At Farpoint? Because that would rule if it was intentional.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The Sisko is real.

Dammit - I really wanna post that Shepherd Fairey knockoff with Sisko and the word REAL, but it appears to be lost in time? I remember seeing it in these threads in years past.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Cythereal posted:

One of the little things I adore about Deep Space Nine is the little touches about life and culture in Star Trek. Klingon restaurants are a legitimate thing in non-Klingon space. Species other than humans produce art and literature, and many humans are familiar with it - Garak introduces Bashir to Cardassian literature, Garak reads Shakespeare, and Bashir at one point (long before his genetic enhancement reveal) demonstrates that he's a fan of classical Bajoran music and knows several composers. Grandpa Sisko and Ben try Cajun-Ferengi fusion cuisine.

Or how a bunch of books ran with the idea that the University of Andoria is the most prestigious school of the fine arts in the entire Federation, and that Betazoid historical spy novels are incredibly popular due to how they play with spy stories on a planet where everyone's a telepath.

I love those little things in a setting.

I think you've just laid out the reasons why I couldn't get into the Orville - there isn't nearly enough universe exposition, relying upon 2017 pop culture nuances in typical MacFarlane fashion and it just flops for me.

If you're going to have a world beyond Earth, write like it. Sheesh.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Virgin Writeup vs. The Chad Livepost

Okay, but the Virgin is Picard whilst Chad is Janeway, otherwise you can’t do the joke on the pompadour.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is also not the last appearance of Thomas Riker in Star Trek

Yeah, Jeb! you’re gonna need to set aside for some DS9, champ. We’re right there with you.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Parallels is the one where there’s Hyperbeard Riker in one of the alternates, right?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

You gotta admit - you’re tempted.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

“I tore my pants!” - Miles O’Brien

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I really miss Ernie Anderson’s voice in the TNG seasons 1-3 previews. Staaaaaarrrrrrr Trek thuhnextgenerashun

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

This episode with Mirror Bareil is aggressively boring.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

If you were already sick of Kira romance arcs, nothing will make you sicker than Mirror Bareil. Hot drat, that was abysmal stuff.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If anything I wished there were more Klingon scenes!

Counter-argument: Klingon as a spoken language in Discovery is not even remotely tolerable. My wife demanded I mute any and all scenes where dialogue was spoken in Klingon.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I mean, you are right but that is a ridiculous overreaction.

Also: the kid in less makeup did fine, which is another strike against the redesign.

It was like watching people doing a table read of Greek tragedy with marbles in their mouths.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I just had the thought of the Virgin Esri vs Chad-Zia, but not only is /r/incels dead but so is the joke.

I’ll see myself out.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I'll say this: Avery Brooks makes a very compelling reason for watching Deep Space Nine, full stop.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I didn't mention Sisko's genealogy because I didn't think it was important to my point. However, to know DS9 is to know The Sisko, and The Sisko is a damned fine character with a stellar actor to go with it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Man, that last episode of Discovery was pretty good. I am definitely interested to see where they go from here. Also: that loving burn-to-death was, like, TNG Season 1 penultimate episode gruesome. The shuriken kills were hilarious.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Q is totally a villain. Anybody that’s gonna hold a ship hostage in the way he did in Encounter at Farpoint is a villain. He just so happens to be a charismatic and likeable presence, almost like Gul Dukat until they doubled down on Dukat being hosed up in Waltz. He reminds me of Mojo, in a way.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Q is an antagonist but I've never thought of him as a villain. He has no obligation to be good imo but he's still mostly benevolent or mildly mischievous.

Yeah, I’ll agree to that! Well put.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

edit: A Cassidy Yates spinoff

I tried to pretend that’s what the Orville was. Alas.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Gonna vape my way through Profit and Lace. Oh no.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

skasion posted:

Here’s a thought; vape your way through literally any other thing

I sat through Move Along Home. I’m gonna be okay. Wanna make sure we watch every episode this round. We did almost skip it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I remember trying to watch Voyager with the missus, but she couldn’t get over the scene where a holographic doctor does data entry into a computer terminal. “He’s a computer, right? So why...?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Cythereal posted:

It's a carrier. And that's the significantly better looking version of the Jupiter class. Here's what was in the game originally:

Reminds me of the SNES Super Scope.